Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Has any other club sale been as complicated and drawn out as this one? Even I was beginning to blame the Aussies, but now the evidence points in another direction. If Dalman walks away you have to think this could literally go on for years.
    So even you have lost faith in the Aussies then?
    No, but they refuse to pay more than they think the club is worth.
    Roland reduced the price and then upped it again. He's playing games.
    But I guess I might prefer someone who was so rich they wouldn't care what the price was, but that's not realistic.
       Why don't they just walk away then?

How much more time can they afford to waste? There are other clubs for sale.
    I suppose because they’ve invested so much money in lawyers’ fees unravelling the historic legal issues. Over a million. Walking away wouldn’t make sense when you might be days away from Roland getting real. (I know, unlikely!)

It’s only Murphy who’s involved in negotiations, and he has other business interests. I think they have their bid lodged, and it’s up to Roland to say yes or no, rather than maybe.

So it’s not a 24/7 thing for GM. Probably just 4% of his time ;-)
    So I’m assuming JS that they have submitted the outstanding piece of paperwork that the club said the EFL needed back in June 2018?
    ‘The club said’, or Lieven/Roland said?
    Don't they represent the club?
    I’m going to have a wild guess and say No. 
    Then who would you guess they are representing?
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Has any other club sale been as complicated and drawn out as this one? Even I was beginning to blame the Aussies, but now the evidence points in another direction. If Dalman walks away you have to think this could literally go on for years.
    But I guess I might prefer someone who was so rich they wouldn't care what the price was, but that's not realistic.

I suppose because they’ve invested so much money in lawyers’ fees unravelling the historic legal issues. Over a million. Walking away wouldn’t make sense when you might be days away from Roland getting real. (I know, unlikely!)

It’s only Murphy who’s involved in negotiations, and he has other business interests. I think they have their bid lodged, and it’s up to Roland to say yes or no, rather than maybe.

So I’m assuming JS that they have submitted the outstanding piece of paperwork that the club said the EFL needed back in June 2018?
    I’m going to have another wild guess now,  and say Roland. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Off_it said:
    _MrDick said:
    A Friday is always a good day to announce good news ...

I don’t work on Fridays. If that’s not good news, I don’t know what is 
    Heres some more good news, I've got the day off and am going on a pub crawl.
     Can I come ... 
    You free?
  • cafc-west said:
    Anyone else find this sentence a bit strange?

"When selling the owner takes into account the probability of securing the long-term future of the club and minimise the risk of the club going bust. "

Why?

Because it's likely that new owners wouldn't pay (whatever sum is agreed) up front in total.  Payments would be staggered over several seasons/years/on reaching certain targets - whatever.  So it's in RD'd interest that the club remains solvent - otherwise he wouldn't get the subsequent payments.
    I think you are spot-on c-w. 
  • Anyone else find this sentence a bit strange?

"When selling the owner takes into account the probability of securing the long-term future of the club and minimise the risk of the club going bust. "

Why?

This implies there has been a bid or bids that match the valuation, but Roland hasn't taken them because of "moral" reasons.

Roland, you have no moral responsibility to do this, and you are not going to be seen by most fans as our great saviour and protector.  You will not be remembered fondly, whatever you do now.  If you have the chance, no one will blame you for taking your money and running, even if you do sell to the equivalent of the spivs.  After all, it's just business, right? No room for sentiment.

Of course, I would prefer you to sell to somebody trustworthy, with the club's best interests at heart...it's just not your responsibility to vet them, and decide what's best.  That's part of what the EFL (supposedly) do.

Surely the fans will deal with the new owners as and when, and judge them on their own merits?
    I suspect it has more to do with any future payments he would negotiate and likelihood of receiving those payments rather than the clubs short / long term well being.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

The same Roland who owns the club? 
  • Roland is a cynical and chaotic operator, who is prepared to spin any number of lines. One of his favourite mantras is that the high running costs are putting off buyers - i.e. it’s nothing to do with his inflated price
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

The same Roland who owns the club? 
    I refer the gentleman to the answer given by my right honourable friend @Henry Irving a short time go. He summed up my feeling on this matter much better that I could.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

I'll always argue that we, the fans, are the club but in this context the pair of incompetents De Turck and Duchatelet and "the club" are the same thing ie the regime that owns the business.

Point is the regime said it was only some paperwork to the EFL holding up the deal.  

Like they said David White had agreed to be flexible with his bond.

Like they said the bonds maybe time limited

Like they said the protests were only 2% of the fans

The regime lies quite a lot and the submit paperwork to EFL might just be one of them. Why does anyone believe what the regime says?

I really wish the Aussies would do what Dalman has done and brief the press off the record to put their side of the story.  That would be biased and slanted in their favour just as all briefings are but at least we'd have more information.

I've never got the hatred/mistrust of the Aussies because I just don't know enough about them.

That doesn't mean I'm not cautious about them, their funding or their intentions because I am.  I'm equally cautious about Dalman (who were his backers? what were/are his plans?) and any other buyers.

But let's not use the lies of the regime as evidence against the Aussies or anyone else.  That is what Duchatelet wants.

Duchatelet wants the fans to blame the ex-directors for the delay, not him.

Duchatelet wants the fans to blame the Aussies for the delay, not him.
    Yes the club lies, as much, if not more than it tells the truth, but they still said it and it was 'kinda' backed up by the EFL, who would have no reason to lie.
    The EFL said they'd investigate the unpaid bonuses and the situation at Charlton.  No reason to lie?

As you say the EFL only "kinda" backed up what the regime said 

@pragueaddick said that "the EFL told three CAST delegates, of which I was one, in late October, that they had not submitted all the paperwork at that time."

Not "The lack of paperwork is the only thing holding up the deal."

I reiterate, I think the Aussies and GM have brought a lot of this on themselves by being so secretive and by issuing joint statements with the regime.  It's natural to question them after so long but overriding all of that is that Duchatelet is the liar and Duchatelet is the problem.

That part is 100% correct.

However with regards to the bonuses, it would appear the did investigate, they even told RD paying the bonuses would be a great way to build 'goodwill', what else did you expect them to do? They can't make RD pay something he's not legally bound to pay. Not sure that's a lie, it's just not what we wanted, although it's what some of us expected.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

I'll always argue that we, the fans, are the club but in this context the pair of incompetents De Turck and Duchatelet and "the club" are the same thing ie the regime that owns the business.

Point is the regime said it was only some paperwork to the EFL holding up the deal.  

The regime lies quite a lot and the submit paperwork to EFL might just be one of them. Why does anyone believe what the regime says?

I really wish the Aussies would do what Dalman has done and brief the press off the record to put their side of the story.  That would be biased and slanted in their favour just as all briefings are but at least we'd have more information.

I've never got the hatred/mistrust of the Aussies because I just don't know enough about them.

That doesn't mean I'm not cautious about them, their funding or their intentions because I am.  I'm equally cautious about Dalman (who were his backers? what were/are his plans?) and any other buyers.

But let's not use the lies of the regime as evidence against the Aussies or anyone else.  That is what Duchatelet wants.

Yes the club lies, as much, if not more than it tells the truth, but they still said it and it was 'kinda' backed up by the EFL, who would have no reason to lie.
    The EFL said they'd investigate the unpaid bonuses and the situation at Charlton.  No reason to lie?

@pragueaddick said that "the EFL told three CAST delegates, of which I was one, in late October, that they had not submitted all the paperwork at that time."

I reiterate, I think the Aussies and GM have brought a lot of this on themselves by being so secretive and by issuing joint statements with the regime.  It's natural to question them after so long but overriding all of that is that Duchatelet is the liar and Duchatelet is the problem.

However with regards to the bonuses, it would appear the did investigate, they even told RD paying the bonuses would be a great way to build 'goodwill', what else did you expect them to do? They can't make RD pay something he's not legally bound to pay. Not sure that's a lie, it's just not what we wanted, although it's what some of us expected.
    They could have been honest and say that they DID see written evidence that the bonuses were not contingent with company profitability. 

They saw it when it was handed to them.  The evidence was so strong that even Chris Parkes, who was at the meeting, accepted it and said he'd speak to LDT about it.

They can't make Duchatelet pay but they sure could have done a lot more. They certainly lied when they said they hadn't seen evidence.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed?
  • 1875, Captain Matthew Webb becomes the first person to swim The English Channel.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

They could have been honest and say that they DID see written evidence that the bonuses were not contingent with company profitability. 

They saw it when it was handed to them.  The evidence was so strong that even Chris Parkes, who was at the meeting, accepted it and said he'd speak to LDT about it.

They can't make Duchatelet pay but they sure could have done a lot more. They certainly lied when they said they hadn't seen evidence.
    What more could they have done? As far as I'm aware the EFL are pretty toothless, which is a shame when you consider how many clubs are affected by batshit owners.

I also wonder why we've seen no further action from staff if they were indeed legally entitled to those bonuses, although it's really not really any of our business, so they may want to just get on with their lives, not how I'd go about it personally, but it's not on me.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

What more could they have done? As far as I'm aware the EFL are pretty toothless, which is a shame when you consider how many clubs are affected by batshit owners.

I also wonder why we've seen no further action from staff if they were indeed legally entitled to those bonuses, although it's really not really any of our business, so they may want to just get on with their lives, not how I'd go about it personally, but it's not on me.
    They could be be honest and not lied.

They could have said that the evidence they had seen supported the staff and not Duchatelet's position.

The question about "wonder why we've seen no further action from staff if they were indeed legally entitled to those bonuses" comes over as victim blaming. "Oh, they stopped complaining so they can't have a case".

That may not mean what you meant but that's how it reads.  We know they work for a lying, vindictive owner, maybe they don't want to be forced out of their jobs.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

They could be be honest and not lied.

They could have said that the evidence they had seen supported the staff and not Duchatelet's position.

The question about "wonder why we've seen no further action from staff if they were indeed legally entitled to those bonuses" comes over as victim blaming. "Oh, they stopped complaining so they can't have a case".

That may not mean what you meant but that's how it reads.  We know they work for a lying, vindictive owner, maybe they don't want to be forced out of their jobs.
    Certainly not how I meant it to come across but I thought there are laws against forcing people out of jobs after valid complaints.
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Absolutely agree, @Henry Irving
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Absolutely agree, @Henry Irving
    And yet there are still people claiming "it would be very hard to argue the club wasn't being well run"...
  • I can't help thinking that the infamous Belgian lawyer  Daisy Whatshername is still advising him. 
  • It’s happening!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!