Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• 1875, Captain Matthew Webb becomes the first person to swim The English Channel.

Webb feet
  • Just seen the following on the other site written by someone called addicknz:

I dont post that often, and have mentioned before that I worked for both Australian and NZ Football a few years back. I have been in contact with them again for work reasons and happened to have a conversation about the Aussies trying to buy the Addicks.

It was explained to me that the group responsible for the purchase are showing an interest in a number of clubs globally of which Charlton is just one. They have never had any cash for the purchase and use negotiations with a football club as leverage to generate investors' interest. As things stand currently they have not managed to secure enough investment/interest to purchase a football club. Charlton has engaged with the Aussies more than any of their previous attempts and consequently they feel that they have a better chance of a purchase.

However there is still a massive hole in the funds available to purchase and it is thought unlikely that this will change. The investment model is multiple shareholders, of which non are independently wealthy enough to purchase the club. There are also questions over the ability to continue to support the club financially, post purchase (there are no plans to look for additional funds once sale is complete).

There is a Utopian view that once the sale is complete, the club will be launch pad for Aussie players trying to make it in the UK. The impact of this strategy on both Academy and player purchase is untested, but the concerns over ongoing finance after point of sale suggest that this has also has a cost saving approach (a bit like RD and his 'network' a while back).

The person I spoke with has no axe to grind and I dont doubt his info, but whether it is common knowledge or poetic license I am unsure.

The Aussies have no money..........tell us something we don't know.
  • Yep - they've had two years to buy a football club. Blame RD all you like but it can't all be on him.

I dont post that often, and have mentioned before that I worked for both Australian and NZ Football a few years back. I have been in contact with them again for work reasons and happened to have a conversation about the Aussies trying to buy the Addicks.

It was explained to me that the group responsible for the purchase are showing an interest in a number of clubs globally of which Charlton is just one. They have never had any cash for the purchase and use negotiations with a football club as leverage to generate investors' interest. As things stand currently they have not managed to secure enough investment/interest to purchase a football club. Charlton has engaged with the Aussies more than any of their previous attempts and consequently they feel that they have a better chance of a purchase.

However there is still a massive hole in the funds available to purchase and it is thought unlikely that this will change. The investment model is multiple shareholders, of which non are independently wealthy enough to purchase the club. There are also questions over the ability to continue to support the club financially, post purchase (there are no plans to look for additional funds once sale is complete).

There is a Utopian view that once the sale is complete, the club will be launch pad for Aussie players trying to make it in the UK. The impact of this strategy on both Academy and player purchase is untested, but the concerns over ongoing finance after point of sale suggest that this has also has a cost saving approach (a bit like RD and his 'network' a while back).

The person I spoke with has no axe to grind and I dont doubt his info, but whether it is common knowledge or poetic license I am unsure.

Sort of fits in with what Simon Jordan was saying about being able to invest into.............
  • Sounds completely plausible given what we currently think we know and the time scales involved. I conclude from that information that we can forget about Australian ownership. That leaves the others currently  scrambling around to pull something out of the bag.

Not that hopeful is it.
  • Wow, all this Aussie bashing. Astonishing!

Roland is the problem, as Dalman and every other bid is finding.
    It's not "Aussie bashing", and what I find astonishing is people not wanting to discuss the pros end cons of any potential  new owner, but just being content on the present one going. Especialy after the last two..
    We can discuss pros and cons of potential owners for eternity but we as fans have no say in who buys the club and only limited say in how a club is run. Bring on the Bundesliga model where the clubs members still hold a majority of voting rights.

As an occasional reader on this forum, the outsider impression is there's a contingent who consistently bash the Aussie bid with sweeping statements based on no evidence what so ever, or taking the word of Roland and his lackies as gospel.
  • edited July 2019
    That post earlier goes along with what GM told me.

It's all Micky mouse and their plans for moving the club forward is pie in the sky stuff.

Hope they get nowhere near it.

It also fits in with why they've hung about so long and continue to do so.

No other club with some sanity at board level would go near them.

Bunch of chancers and I've had more than my fill of them!
  • If that is true then I hope the Aussies don't complete a deal as really don't think we would survive being another experimental project
  • edited July 2019
    Just seen the following on the other site written by someone called addicknz:

IF that is true then don't want them anywhere near us. Recipie for disaster and using negotiations to generate interest is like @AFKAbartram rounding a few up on here for a meeting with the club with a view of raising funds for acquisition and more importantly running costs after.

Sounds proper dodgy IF this is true and more perilous than current ownership...who as a one man clownshow has to at least pay the bills to stand any chance of seeing any return on investment.

A consortium of random strangers looking for financial return poses great threat to going concern if one or two pull out after sale and withdraw future investment.

Can't imagine many will commit 5 years worth of funding at the outset so really alarms me reading this sort of stuff as seems an inherently flawed model and hugely risky for the good of CAFC.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Has any other club sale been as complicated and drawn out as this one? Even I was beginning to blame the Aussies, but now the evidence points in another direction. If Dalman walks away you have to think this could literally go on for years.
    So even you have lost faith in the Aussies then?
    No, but they refuse to pay more than they think the club is worth.
    Roland reduced the price and then upped it again. He's playing games.
    But I guess I might prefer someone who was so rich they wouldn't care what the price was, but that's not realistic.
       Why don't they just walk away then?

How much more time can they afford to waste? There are other clubs for sale.
    I suppose because they’ve invested so much money in lawyers’ fees unravelling the historic legal issues. Over a million. Walking away wouldn’t make sense when you might be days away from Roland getting real. (I know, unlikely!)

It’s only Murphy who’s involved in negotiations, and he has other business interests. I think they have their bid lodged, and it’s up to Roland to say yes or no, rather than maybe.

So it’s not a 24/7 thing for GM. Probably just 4% of his time ;-)
    I know you're trying to be cute with that 4% comment but I don't find that funny at all. 
    Get a grip
    Jokes about lack of interest in the club from the unofficial mouthpiece of the Aussies just don't sit well with me, we've already got doubts over their involvement.
  • edited July 2019
    Wow, all this Aussie bashing. Astonishing!

It's not "Aussie bashing", and what I find astonishing is people not wanting to discuss the pros end cons of any potential  new owner, but just being content on the present one going. Especialy after the last two..
    We can discuss pros and cons of potential owners for eternity but we as fans have no say in who buys the club and only limited say in how a club is run. Bring on the Bundesliga model where the clubs members still hold a majority of voting rights.

As an occasional reader on this forum, the outsider impression is there's a contingent who consistently bash the Aussie bid with sweeping statements based on no evidence what so ever, or taking the word of Roland and his lackies as gospel.
    It is getting a bit repetitive, going over the same old ground over and over again. Some people on CL post more than they read I suspect. 

Bundesliga model is an interesting one, but there’s not much chance of it being used in English football unfortunately, not without some sort of national debate about football taking place.
    Aussies (who are wonderful and above reproach) are interested in a membership model, as you’ll all remember of course from my post about five years ago. 

Is there? 
  • JamesSeed said:

It is getting a bit repetitive, going over the same old ground over and over again. Some people on CL post more than they read I suspect. 

Bundesliga model is an interesting one, but there’s not much chance of it being used in English football unfortunately, not without some sort of national debate about football taking place.
    Aussies (who are wonderful and above reproach) are interested in a membership model. 
    As long as you bring £ a million or two to the party.
  • JamesSeed said:

Aussies (who are wonderful and above reproach) are interested in a membership model, as you’ll all remember of course from my post about five years ago. 
    If the Aussie's agreed a deal and then subsequently spent £1M on legal fees, then RD moved the goalposts, can't they invoice him for the wasted time/money?

Is there? 
    Er. yeah.
  • Sponsored links:

Is there? 
    Er. yeah.
    Sorry mate, completely missed them. I know there was someone post a oneliner on this thread a couple of days ago about RD now going in the right direction 're. Bowyer and a couple of singing, or something,  but other than that I get the feeling that the dislike and distrust in RD and everyone associated with him was pretty much 100%

He’s got his wires crossed. The buyers include Andrew Muir, a rich Indian cricket investor and a yank. AFTER the sale they want to introduce a system where ordinary people can also invest in the club, the sort of people who could never afford to buy the club outright on their own (S. Jordan for example). Doesn’t sound like a ridiculous plan, but I’m no expert. 

I queried the Aussie players angle way back when, and was told the only Aussies they’d be interested in signing would be from the top drawer. And there were none at that time deemed good enough. 
    However, there has been a historic problem with top young Aussie talent failing to settle outside of Australia, partly because of homesickness, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d look at the Charlton youth system as a place where two or three might be able to settle in. Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with that if they were good enough. Obviously a fair percentage already fall by the wayside under the current system, so can’t see it would necessarily do any harm. 
    I’m not aware that they’ve looked at any other clubs other than Fulham.

They have never had any cash for the purchase and use negotiations with a football club as leverage to generate investors' interest.’
    This bit is just wrong. Yes, Muir hasn’t given Murphy ten million quid to put in a CAFC related bank account, but has the funds available for when the sale is finalised. And the generation of interest is for the smaller investors further down the line, NOT for the purchase of the club.

• I think some people's hatred of RD overrides any scepticism of anyone else sniffing around, including Dalman, the Assies, the Chinese etc. 

As much as I can't stand the bloke, with regards to the Aussies, the 2 year delay can't just be down to RD or they would've  surely / rightly walked with the rest months ago imo.
    agree with this.  still question the aussies' financial viability 
  • Redhenry said:
    DOUCHER said:
    have never named any of my sources  
    I thought it was Bexley Boy from the other site.... :smiley:
    What's the apply @Redhenry, you must know something?

Its not people ‘not wanting’ to discuss it, it’s the fact that the whole thing has been covered over and over again, but the same questions keep being asked because, I can only assume, people to read the replies. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    That post earlier goes along with what GM told me.

It's all Micky mouse and their plans for moving the club forward is pie in the sky stuff.

Hope they get nowhere near it.

It also fits in with why they've hung about so long and continue to do so.

No other club with some sanity at board level would go near them.

Bunch of chancers and I've had more than my fill of them!
    What’s your real name mate?
      Carly.
    Put me down for £500

Your so vain Simon
  • JamesSeed said:

Aussies (who are wonderful and above reproach) are interested in a membership model. 
    As long as you bring £ a million or two to the party.
    No, membership more like the Atlanta soccer team or Barcelona possibly. 
    I don’t think everybody involved in Barcelona has put in millions have they? Only asking because I don’t know. 
  • The Australians havn’t put in millions either
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!