Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• We just know it’s going to be a consortium headed by Richard Murray!
    They will keep Robinson and so we continue.
  • Name change = no
    Badge change = no
    Shirt colour change = no
    Stadium change = no (Red Bull Valley or something similar would be fine)

Anything else is ok with me...

Don't think Red Bull are a serious consideration though.
  • edited January 2018
    vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

I am not a big fan of Red Bull drink, which is an unhealthy overly sugary & caffeinated drink. The undermining of the German model of ownership at Leipzig is not a good thing as the 51% ownership appears to be pretty good. The 51% rule Duchatelet found obstructive at the German club owns for eg.

A club owned by Red Bull appears to primarily a marketing tool subordinated to the needs of the main brand. Not sure whether that is what Charlton needs after Jimenez / Slater & Duchatelet / Meire.

Remind me of Red Bull Leipzig’s progress under Red Bull ownership

So if Serial killers are us *(see note) had the financial clout to get Charlton to the Premiership & had supported a club in a foreign league to rise a few divisions then you would be ok with that @ShootersHillGuru ? I know that is a bit of a crass response but it matches your answer.

(NB Not claiming Red Bull are serial killers).

Heavily sugared food & drinks have contributed to a series increase to levels of obesity & diabetes. Add in Red Bull Network & likely be Red Bull Uber alles *Note 2 & their undermining of a decent ownership structure. Don’t think that it would be a good fit.

(NB 2 Not claiming Red Bull are Fascists)

There will always be a consideration in terms of owners & how that fits in with the club values & history. After Meire & Duchatelet’s disrespect of Charlton’s history, it would be excellent if Charlton had some owners who respected that. It is not an unreasonable dream to think that success can be achieved without ditching all principle.

Sorry if I’m missing something here in your post but I really don’t get where you are coming from. As far as I’m aware Red Bull are a legitimate and lawful business. Are you suggesting that because they manufacture a sweet fizzy drink that they don’t fit the profile of suitable owners for CAFC ?

Pretty much every manufacturer of anything leaves a negative footprint in some way or another. Certainly if the new owners were connected to certain industries there might be cause to question but at this point I’m drawing the line at fizzy drinks.

As for undermining history, well I suppose that’s an argument and situation that some might find issue with should it occur.

Of course it’s only my personal opinion but I’d be grudgingly ok with RB Charlton Athletic and certainly wouldn’t bat an eyelid at The Red Bull Valley.

What on Earth you are going on about serial killers and fascists for I have no idea. I also find it hard to see your point about my “crass answer”
    You kind of missed the point. It is not just about the fact that Red Bull sell an unhealthy sugary drink. They are a big corporate company & it would be more than just sponsorship of the stadium. There would be a risk that Charlton would serve the Corporate entity in terms of their structure of football clubs and lose its identity.

In the thread above, it was also described about Red Bull getting round the 51% ownership rule to the detriment of other German clubs. That rule is a decent rule which give supporters some says with more reasonable ticketing prices and some say in the clubs running. Is it good to ignore what Red Bull are trying to do ?

Having experienced Duchatelet & Meire, who did not put the needs of the club first, Is it good for Charlton to end up in a similar position with Red Bull, ?

This all getting to specific about Red Bull in any case as you like they say, they don't appear to be in the running, so it is pointless getting into any further big discussion about the merits of a Red Bull ownership.

The notes were just crap jokes about how literal Charlton Life can be sometimes whilst ignoring the main point made. The serial killer things was just drawing out your point about that it does matter how success is achieved and should Charlton sell its soul for success at any costs.
    Still don’t get it. Success at any cost ????? Where have I or for that matter anyone else suggested that. What I have said is that as far as I’m concerned a name change to RB Charlton and / or The RB Valley is a price I would be prepared to pay. I fully understand that might be a step too far for some fans but if you think that’s success at any cost then we are poles apart.

• vffvff
    edited January 2018

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

I am not a big fan of Red Bull drink, which is an unhealthy overly sugary & caffeinated drink. The undermining of the German model of ownership at Leipzig is not a good thing as the 51% ownership appears to be pretty good. The 51% rule Duchatelet found obstructive at the German club owns for eg.

A club owned by Red Bull appears to primarily a marketing tool subordinated to the needs of the main brand. Not sure whether that is what Charlton needs after Jimenez / Slater & Duchatelet / Meire.

So if Serial killers are us *(see note) had the financial clout to get Charlton to the Premiership & had supported a club in a foreign league to rise a few divisions then you would be ok with that @ShootersHillGuru ? I know that is a bit of a crass response but it matches your answer.

Heavily sugared food & drinks have contributed to a series increase to levels of obesity & diabetes. Add in Red Bull Network & likely be Red Bull Uber alles *Note 2 & their undermining of a decent ownership structure. Don’t think that it would be a good fit.

There will always be a consideration in terms of owners & how that fits in with the club values & history. After Meire & Duchatelet’s disrespect of Charlton’s history, it would be excellent if Charlton had some owners who respected that. It is not an unreasonable dream to think that success can be achieved without ditching all principle.

Sorry if I’m missing something here in your post but I really don’t get where you are coming from. As far as I’m aware Red Bull are a legitimate and lawful business. Are you suggesting that because they manufacture a sweet fizzy drink that they don’t fit the profile of suitable owners for CAFC ?

Pretty much every manufacturer of anything leaves a negative footprint in some way or another. Certainly if the new owners were connected to certain industries there might be cause to question but at this point I’m drawing the line at fizzy drinks.

As for undermining history, well I suppose that’s an argument and situation that some might find issue with should it occur.

Of course it’s only my personal opinion but I’d be grudgingly ok with RB Charlton Athletic and certainly wouldn’t bat an eyelid at The Red Bull Valley.

What on Earth you are going on about serial killers and fascists for I have no idea. I also find it hard to see your point about my “crass answer”
    You kind of missed the point. It is not just about the fact that Red Bull sell an unhealthy sugary drink. They are a big corporate company & it would be more than just sponsorship of the stadium. There would be a risk that Charlton would serve the Corporate entity in terms of their structure of football clubs and lose its identity.

In the thread above, it was also described about Red Bull getting round the 51% ownership rule to the detriment of other German clubs. That rule is a decent rule which give supporters some says with more reasonable ticketing prices and some say in the clubs running. Is it good to ignore what Red Bull are trying to do ?

Having experienced Duchatelet & Meire, who did not put the needs of the club first, Is it good for Charlton to end up in a similar position with Red Bull, ?

This all getting to specific about Red Bull in any case as you like they say, they don't appear to be in the running, so it is pointless getting into any further big discussion about the merits of a Red Bull ownership.

The notes were just crap jokes about how literal Charlton Life can be sometimes whilst ignoring the main point made. The serial killer things was just drawing out your point about that it does matter how success is achieved and should Charlton sell its soul for success at any costs.
    Still don’t get it. Success at any cost ????? Where have I or for that matter anyone else suggested that. What I have said is that as far as I’m concerned a name change to RB Charlton and / or The RB Valley is a price I would be prepared to pay. I fully understand that might be a step too far for some fans but if you think that’s success at any cost then we are poles apart.

My point is that it would likely be more than just a Stadium name change re: Red Bull in the unlikely event they bought the club.

If we can forget about Red Bull for one moment. I am making a general point about ownership & success.
  • vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

My point is that it would likely be more than just a Stadium name change re: Red Bull in the unlikely event they bought the club.

If we can forget about Red Bull for one moment. I am making a general point about ownership & success.
    And I still don’t get it.
  • With no Katy and close protection squad the old directors box must look a tad sparse these days.
  • vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

If Charlton had owners who could fund a push to the Premiership it is better to have good owners, who make their money by positive means than other owners, who may have made their money by less positive means.
  • vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

If Charlton had owners who could fund a push to the Premiership it is better to have good owners, who make their money by positive means than other owners, who may have made their money by less positive means.
    Oh the innocence. If only my farts smelt like rosewater drizzled over freshly baked brioche buns...
  • Sponsored links:

• So what did anyone hear today?....
  • edited January 2018
    vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

You mean as opposed to serial killers and fascists or even worse fizzy drink manufacturers.

• So if Jeff Bezos takes us over, would we be called Charlton Prime? (Someone's aunt told me friend's dog he was buying us)
  • vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

You mean as opposed to serial killers and fascists or even worse fizzy drink manufacturers.

.... or bloody bookmakers.

Doh!
  • vffvff
    edited January 2018

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

Oh the innocence. If only my farts smelt like rosewater drizzled over freshly baked brioche buns...
    It is good to dream about having decent owners (not about rosewater, brioche bun smelling farts).
  • Any news from today’s game?
  • vffvff
    edited January 2018

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

It is not just about the crappy sugary unhealthy product it is the potential way they would run the club (like I have explained 2 to 3 times - no, I am not worked up about naming the stadium). This discussion is hard work. I do withdraw the crass comment, apologies and all that @ShootersHillGuru. Will have to disagree about Red Bull. Things to do. I will have to leave you to it. Glad Charlton won today & hoping that the next ownership is better than the last.
  • I would only go with Red Bull or a similar financially backed owner because it is now obvious (imo) that for Charlton Athletic it's boom or bust. We are currently saddled with (friendly) debt and have costs (stadium) which require us to be in the premier league to break even. Any new owner either has to have deep pockets and a premier league plan or we will simply be heading from one financial mess to another.
  • So if Jeff Bezos takes us over, would we be called Charlton Prime? (Someone's aunt told me friend's dog he was buying us)

Are someone’s aunt or your friends dog ever predisposed to lying?
  • Back on track. Anybody heard any rumours today ?
  • Sponsored links:

• There's an echo in here.
  • Christine McVie's You Make Loving Fun
  • Anyone hear anything at the game?
  • So nothing new to report today?

Not even a surprise face in the Directors Box?

Anything?
  • The best bit about today was NLA, was a guest of Oldham board, he was in the boardroom around people who tried to get him nicked, bet that was hard for them to swallow.

The best bit about today was NLA, was a guest of Oldham board, he was in the boardroom around people who tried to get him nicked, bet that was hard for them to swallow.

8) was a very pleasant afternoon
    I thought you would be Did he make you a decent brew?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!