Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited January 2018

JamesSeed said:

The more I read this thread the more I wonder who the hell (other than a fan) would think buying Charlton is a good idea? It would be a massive gamble at best. Unless you reach the Premier League, isn't it just money down the drain?
    The only way to break even running a club like Charlton would be to effectively give up any dreams of top flight football. And even then you'd struggle from what I've read here.
    So what would your motivation be, particularly as a foreign buyer? You'd have to have the funds to finance a shot at double promotion, without being too concerned if it didn't happen. How many people like that are there?

Well I suppose as a takeover seems imminent someone must have a plan. Let's just hope it works out in our favour.

Mmmmm.....so let’s all Jack it in then and accept mediocrity, ala Michael Glikstein.....if the fucking Glaziers can do it so can we.
    SoundAsa£........keeping the dream alive!
    That has nothing to do with my post. I was asking a question, not asking anyone to accept mediocrity. Premier League football has to be the goal. But that’s s gamble for any investor as it’s many other clubs’ goal as well.
  • So if you accept this article then you agree with me that German football is different and not a good comparison with UK football.

I hate the way that the Premiership works but as it does, a Red Bull owned football club would fit in there without the controversy it gets in Germany.
    But the changes it would try and make would not fit in with Charlton supporters at least not the present ones. A new breed of plastics would support them at the peninsula.
  • Please just sell. Sport as a whole has been nothing but depressing for the last few months. Really need some good news.
  • Shrew said:

So if you accept this article then you agree with me that German football is different and not a good comparison with UK football.

I hate the way that the Premiership works but as it does, a Red Bull owned football club would fit in there without the controversy it gets in Germany.
    But the changes it would try and make would not fit in with Charlton supporters at least not the present ones. A new breed of plastics would support them at the peninsula.
    That's a possibility of course and i would be as upset as the next long term fan. There is a danger that my boycott could become permanent.

Does the peninsula still over the potential for a new stadium there, or has the earmarked land been built on?
  • I had noticed that when Red Bull was first mentioned, quite a while ago, there was a general feeling that we didn't want them, whereas now there's a lot less negativity towards them. I suppose that's the power of desperation.
    I think we've got to the stage where the idea of RB Charlton playing with a big Red Bull on the shirt in the Red Bull Valley, beating Palace 5-0 doesn't seem so bad.
  • Just saw on my LinkedIn account that I came up in a search for someone from www.miral.ae . I’m connected to Charlton on LinkedIn ... red herring or red hot....? They look like they have some coin but don’t appear to invest offshore from a 1 minute bit of research
  • There was a post on here a day or two back saying Duchatalet was in town.....was this ever confirmed?
    Also I would appreciate a link to the post If possible.....I can’t remember where I saw it?
    Cheers me dears!
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a post on here a day or two back saying Duchatalet was in town.....was this ever confirmed?
    Also I would appreciate a link to the post If possible.....I can’t remember where I saw it?
    Cheers me dears!

It was a joke based on this

• Fumbluff said:

Just saw on my LinkedIn account that I came up in a search for someone from www.miral.ae . I’m connected to Charlton on LinkedIn ... red herring or red hot....? They look like they have some coin but don’t appear to invest offshore from a 1 minute bit of research

I hope you have an up-to-date linked in profile pic or I’m calling the po-po
    Sh!t good call... am I going to get a mauling from a @Coyotejohn1947. my bloody picture is 7 years old. Easy boy, easy.
  • edited January 2018

There was a post on here a day or two back saying Duchatalet was in town.....was this ever confirmed?
    Cheers me dears!

I don't do twitter but It was a tweet by Airman under his proper name unless it was a fake account. Here you go;
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3057886#Comment_3057886 Page 266
  • Just saw on my LinkedIn account that I came up in a search for someone from www.miral.ae . I’m connected to Charlton on LinkedIn ... red herring or red hot....? They look like they have some coin but don’t appear to invest offshore from a 1 minute bit of research

Interesting. It's hard to see how buying us would fit into their strategy, unless they're planning to build a stadium on Yas Island and want an established club to be the "home" team there during the summer. I can imagine them running a small tournament of invited teams every year on the island.

But that's just guesswork and I think they'd want a higher profile name if they had such a plan!
  • RedChaser said:

There was a post on here a day or two back saying Duchatalet was in town.....was this ever confirmed?
    Cheers me dears!

I don't do twitter but It was a tweet by Airman under his proper name unless it was a fake account. Here you go;
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3057886#Comment_3057886 Page 266
    Ah right, got it.
    Thanks RC.
  • So is one of the options Richard Murray selling the club to himself which is acceptable because he is Roland's only mate ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018

Salzburg were, I think, the first club Red Bull bought. They win the Austria's top league pretty much every year, but when RB bought Leipzig, Salzburg became, more or less, a feeder club for Leipzig. Good, young players from everywhere were signed by Salzburg, those that proved to be really good were shipped off to Leipzig.
    I'm not sure where that would leave us. Would RB go for the really big money in the Premier League, or would they use our youth programme to further feed Leipzig? I'm guessing, but Germany is probably RB's biggest market.
    One thing is for sure, RB take football more seriously than RD. They would invest, even though we might not be top of their pyramid. That future couldn't be worse than now.

The USA outstrip everywhere for Red Bull consumption by a million miles. Probably selling more there than everywhere else combined but the U.K. is the second biggest market ahead of Germany and Austria

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2013/04/red-bull-energy-to-spare/

• Salzburg were, I think, the first club Red Bull bought. They win the Austria's top league pretty much every year, but when RB bought Leipzig, Salzburg became, more or less, a feeder club for Leipzig. Good, young players from everywhere were signed by Salzburg, those that proved to be really good were shipped off to Leipzig.
    I'm not sure where that would leave us. Would RB go for the really big money in the Premier League, or would they use our youth programme to further feed Leipzig? I'm guessing, but Germany is probably RB's biggest market.
    One thing is for sure, RB take football more seriously than RD. They would invest, even though we might not be top of their pyramid. That future couldn't be worse than now.

The USA outstrip everywhere for Red Bull consumption by a million miles. Probably selling more there than everywhere else combined but the U.K. is the second biggest market ahead of Germany and Austria

I should have said "European market", but even then I would have guessed wrong! :-)
    Maybe we would be, one day, their top club.

• Salzburg were, I think, the first club Red Bull bought. They win the Austria's top league pretty much every year, but when RB bought Leipzig, Salzburg became, more or less, a feeder club for Leipzig. Good, young players from everywhere were signed by Salzburg, those that proved to be really good were shipped off to Leipzig.

I should have said "European market", but even then I would have guessed wrong! :-)
    Maybe we would be, one day, their top club.
    In the very unlikely event that RB are remotely interested in Charlton I would feel sure that any club playing in the Premier League would be their most high profile club. The PL profile worldwide dwarfs anything else.

I’m still certain it won’t concern us anyway.

Would make you think sooner or later Red Bull will want a presence in the Premier League, it's very well supported/watched in the US. Was just there over Christmas and there were live games on every day, 4 of them live on Boxing Day. Only thing I'd really hate is a name change.

We'd probably be a feeder club to Germany short term. If we reached the top flight though that would change.
  • vff said:

vff said:

I am not a big fan of Red Bull drink, which is an unhealthy overly sugary & caffeinated drink. The undermining of the German model of ownership at Leipzig is not a good thing as the 51% ownership appears to be pretty good. The 51% rule Duchatelet found obstructive at the German club owns for eg.

A club owned by Red Bull appears to primarily a marketing tool subordinated to the needs of the main brand. Not sure whether that is what Charlton needs after Jimenez / Slater & Duchatelet / Meire.

Remind me of Red Bull Leipzig’s progress under Red Bull ownership

So if Serial killers are us *(see note) had the financial clout to get Charlton to the Premiership & had supported a club in a foreign league to rise a few divisions then you would be ok with that @ShootersHillGuru ? I know that is a bit of a crass response but it matches your answer.

(NB Not claiming Red Bull are serial killers).

Heavily sugared food & drinks have contributed to a series increase to levels of obesity & diabetes. Add in Red Bull Network & likely be Red Bull Uber alles *Note 2 & their undermining of a decent ownership structure. Don’t think that it would be a good fit.

(NB 2 Not claiming Red Bull are Fascists)

There will always be a consideration in terms of owners & how that fits in with the club values & history. After Meire & Duchatelet’s disrespect of Charlton’s history, it would be excellent if Charlton had some owners who respected that. It is not an unreasonable dream to think that success can be achieved without ditching all principle.

People do have a choice though. They don't have to drink sugary drinks.
  • vff said:

vff said:

I am not a big fan of Red Bull drink, which is an unhealthy overly sugary & caffeinated drink. The undermining of the German model of ownership at Leipzig is not a good thing as the 51% ownership appears to be pretty good. The 51% rule Duchatelet found obstructive at the German club owns for eg.

A club owned by Red Bull appears to primarily a marketing tool subordinated to the needs of the main brand. Not sure whether that is what Charlton needs after Jimenez / Slater & Duchatelet / Meire.

Remind me of Red Bull Leipzig’s progress under Red Bull ownership

So if Serial killers are us *(see note) had the financial clout to get Charlton to the Premiership & had supported a club in a foreign league to rise a few divisions then you would be ok with that @ShootersHillGuru ? I know that is a bit of a crass response but it matches your answer.

(NB Not claiming Red Bull are serial killers).

Heavily sugared food & drinks have contributed to a series increase to levels of obesity & diabetes. Add in Red Bull Network & likely be Red Bull Uber alles *Note 2 & their undermining of a decent ownership structure. Don’t think that it would be a good fit.

(NB 2 Not claiming Red Bull are Fascists)

There will always be a consideration in terms of owners & how that fits in with the club values & history. After Meire & Duchatelet’s disrespect of Charlton’s history, it would be excellent if Charlton had some owners who respected that. It is not an unreasonable dream to think that success can be achieved without ditching all principle.

People do have a choice though. They don't have to drink sugary drinks.
    Or for that matter to watch RB Charlton if they feel the owners are evil.

• This is a very mute argument I think.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!