Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    Maintaining healthy scepticism whilst hoping for the best but won't be surprised if it's not a fairytale as don't seem to be many successful takeovers in recent years but hoping we buck that trend if this materialises.
  • No need to out Robbo.

SCP's time will come again.
  • edited October 2017
    Redrobo said:

No need to out Robbo.

SCP's time will come again.

you're telling me he's gay ???

• Andrew Muir worth £750m.

How much they have doesn't matter as we've seen for the last 3+ years, it's what they do with it. Anyway the Aussies are a consortium aren't they so hopefully a few more with similar funds.
    originally a consortium trying to raise the funds. Don't think Muir was involved then. Now he is maybe he wants to go it alone. He certainly has the funds to do so and having sold his business down under now has the time too.
  • Webbja77 said:

KR should stay.. he will get us up !

See - the Sir Les Patterson effect is working already.
  • edited October 2017
    Solidgone said:

T.C.E said:

I’m organising a farewell party for our esteemed smt, not very good at this sort of thing I’ll need some help so I think maybe a committee of say 11, yes that seems like a good number could be put together so we say an appropriate goodbye. Lots of hugs and kisses that sort of thing.

I will volunteer to organise the bunting and the farewell banner. Although I might need some suggestions on the appropriate wording that fit around "Now Fuck Off please".
    You can forget the please ................. this is how the fans do things, they'll have to get used to it. It's weird you think you own OUR club, you won't Now Fuck Off !!!!
  • Any new owners will desperately want to get out of this division

Where we are now, and looking at the teams around us, I imagine that promotion will be the first thing on their agenda, so some money will be spent in January. Everything else, whether it's attracting the best Aussie talent or getting a punt at promotion to the Premier League will wait until we get out of L1.
  • Seen a lot of Big Sam mentioned. Bumped into KR's dad at London Bridge before the game last week and he said KR had asked Big Sam to come down to help with training for the week. Nothing in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

Just saying.

What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    Maintaining healthy scepticism whilst hoping for the best but won't be surprised if it's not a fairytale as don't seem to be many successful takeovers in recent years but hoping we buck that trend if this materialises.
    Doesn't have to be a fairytale just some owners who want success on the pitch first and foremost and want the fans along with them.
    Wanting success and wanting the fans along with them isn't enough. They need buckets of cash.
  • kimbo said:

Hope they keep Robinson

F*** him, he sold his bottom to the Belgians.

Aside from that, you generally find a new board bring in another manager. I think we should let Powell carry on with unfinished business and that will galvanise the support and hopefully after 18 months the previous term will be a distant memory.
    Steady on Elfie.....that’s very OTT.....especially the first sentence.
  • My only desire

Now you're talking mate, is it still legal if they've fucked up a National Treasure like Charlton Athletic Football Club ?
  • Seen a lot of Big Sam mentioned. Bumped into KR's dad at London Bridge before the game last week and he said KR had asked Big Sam to come down to help with training for the week. Nothing in it.

Lol
  • Am waiting for the white smoke.....
  • SDAddick said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

No no no, no one is forgetting here. It's just going back to my last point, who would want to buy us now?

As far as selling any decent young players, while we're in this division I don't know of any other business model. How else are we going to bring in revenue to match our losses? And if we're not making money, do we expect an owner who will come in and just pump money into the club in the form of philanthropy, and not loans? Because I think that's really unlikely.
    Where is the “speculate to accumulate” ethos in your argument.....nowhere it would seem?
  • Am waiting for the white smoke.....

Red smoke surely
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Just saying.

Being overlooked hugely in the optimism of seeing this ownership go. The economics of football ownership particularly at this level are crazy in 2017....for all the bad under this mob we are a going concern and at least seem to have turned a corner football wise with more apparent autonomy with a manager who knows this league and some good signings in Fosu, Holmes etc whilst the CEO hasn't spoken publicly for yonks.

Many are praising these new speculated owners without knowing anything about them, their competence,their resources, their ambition and their agenda.

We would do well to revisit the takeover thread from 3 years ago when this mob rocked up and the same jubilation was being pumped all over the message board due to the relief of being able to see a glimmer of optimism after the Cash went with Jiminez and Slater.

IF a takeover even happens the new lot will have a lot to prove and whilst they should be supported and I hope we see a return to bumper crowds the scepticism will be their now for me for a good while until their is evidence that we've not gone from a bad situation to another or worse.
    Not so sure that is true, while happy that we seemed on a more stable footing (couldn't have been worse) the writing was on the wall from the off considering the amount of talent sold from SL & replaced at a fraction of the value. I was wary of the way things might possibly turn out, we didn't have to wait too long to find out did we ?
    To be fair you're probably right. In fact I remember exchanges on WhatsApp with a mate saying what a boring typical Charlton takeover when we were hoping for some loony Middle eastern prince who was going to buy up the leagues and gold plate the stadium. How wrong we were!

• SDAddick said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

No no no, no one is forgetting here. It's just going back to my last point, who would want to buy us now?

As far as selling any decent young players, while we're in this division I don't know of any other business model. How else are we going to bring in revenue to match our losses? And if we're not making money, do we expect an owner who will come in and just pump money into the club in the form of philanthropy, and not loans? Because I think that's really unlikely.
    Selling players is one thing, giving your manager a piss poor budget which means we end up with one senior striker is quite another. A little bit of the Lookman money for a semi decent striker would have given us a slightly better chance of promotion, still who needs a striker when we can dig a few extra trenches at the training ground.
  • SDAddick said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

Where is the “speculate to accumulate” ethos in your argument.....nowhere it would seem?
    What is the "accumulate" part of this equation? Is it spending money on players that have high resale value? Is it spending on the academy so that we bring through more players to sell on? I think both of those are decent ambitions.

But if the "accumulate" is reaching the Premier League then we're looking at tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds needing the be speculated before there can be any accumulation.

And this is a good example of why "uniting the fans" is not enough. It's not a business plan, it's a PR strategy. And moreover, I think a lot of fans will want a lot of money pumped in to the club. And as we've seen time and again, money comes with string attached. Be it debt, be it potentially unrealistic expectations, or be it that eventually the money runs out. That's what I think makes some of us so cautious.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!