Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    Maintaining healthy scepticism whilst hoping for the best but won't be surprised if it's not a fairytale as don't seem to be many successful takeovers in recent years but hoping we buck that trend if this materialises.
    Doesn't have to be a fairytale just some owners who want success on the pitch first and foremost and want the fans along with them.
    Wanting success and wanting the fans along with them isn't enough. They need buckets of cash.

We have an owner with buckets of cash and it's not really been a success has it? Wanting success and taking the fans along is probably enough for me at the moment after the last 3 years.
    I just hope you're right.
  • Valley11 said:

We don't half attract random owners. A Belgian electronics mogul and now the Aussie Walmart King.
    A mega rich middle eastern fella would fine

I start work out there in a week's time. Give me a couple of years and I'll see what I can do!

• Valley11 said:

I wonder if this explains the odd transfer dealings at the end of the summer window. Flogging Novak last minute, bringing in an inexperienced loan and going into the season without backup for Josh.
    If you're closet to selling the club then there's no sense in splashing cash on what is usually the most expensive position to recruit in.

I don't think there is a direct link but I certainly agree that RD was already planning to sell and so didn't want to spend big. He cleared out a lot of big earners and spent little on fees although he did allow Robinson to bring in some good players so there was some budget.

• NugNug
    edited October 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

Just saying.

What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    Maintaining healthy scepticism whilst hoping for the best but won't be surprised if it's not a fairytale as don't seem to be many successful takeovers in recent years but hoping we buck that trend if this materialises.
    Doesn't have to be a fairytale just some owners who want success on the pitch first and foremost and want the fans along with them.
    Wanting success and wanting the fans along with them isn't enough. They need buckets of cash.

We have an owner with buckets of cash and it's not really been a success has it? Wanting success and taking the fans along is probably enough for me at the moment after the last 3 years.
    Right about what? I'm just saying I'm prepared to see what happens with a new owner because this one has been shit. Maybe the next one will be, we won't know till someone tries. I doubt many people will take over Charlton and footballing success is not their main aim, unlike the current owner.
  • 9/10 new owners will bring in their own manager/one they rate.

Parkinson got the boot when Slater/Jiminez came in and the same happened with Powell under the Belgians.

If Robinson gets the boot, cause the Belgians have sold up, then that's part and parcel of life.
  • Sponsored links:

• _nam11 said:

PaddyP17 said:

The VOTV article has been shared on FB

Reams of Verse AKA Paul May is drunk

And I think he's soon to offer me out!!!! HERE WE GO LADS

He’s just got the ump that Rick is more respected and believed than himself. Pity.
    He's been trying to ingratiate himself with the regime for some time now. He must be gutted to see them go. lol.

I think we'd all be of one mind on this forum if this apparent takeover was happening 12 months ago, but the progress that's been made over the last six months is making some people nervous about change, perhaps unsurprisingly.

But I've always said that there was a good chance that the progress was all about Duchatelet preparing the club for sale.

I hope any new owners leave things as they are for the moment, team-wise.
  • Beardface said:

Couple of things.

Aussies do winning (i say that through clenched teeth). They have a no doubts approach to sport that New Zealand and England in general struggles to emulate. A few Aussies (with talent) would provide some serious grit.

Secondly this thread is better than drugs, I'm absolutely as high as a kite on it at the moment.

...GIF of sweaty, bare and sunken chested person, dancing and gurning on Ectsasy...

Here you go @KiwiValley

Very close Beardface, very close.
  • Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

How can anything be worth a gamble when you don't know the runners and riders/teams/contestants ?

We all know the current owner is toxic, but at this stage, I for one know nothing about a potential new owner and their finances, so how can I possibly take a a gamble today ?

Give me some facts and I'd agree that on the balance of probability a new owner could be great, but with zero information I cannot.
    Jeez @Covered End...give it a rest from Brexit talk...we're all getting excited here!!!! :wink:
  • Swisdom said:

If Robinson goes this season is a write off.

First things Roland and co did get rid of Kermorgant and Powell. Both decisions have hunted them since they were made.

Wouldn’t it be nice if new owners came in and listened to the fans. The guy from Australia is unlikely to have a particularly good grasp on L1 where as Karl Robinson certainly does. Coming in and scking him would be a quick step backwards.
    We are playing some of the best football we have played for many many years - imagine the potential Robinson was allowed to bring in all the players he wants.

I’ve said it before but my big concern is the money. With roland we are not running out of money and Are nowhere near Administration. We do not want to jump out of the frying pan

We simply will not progress under RD, or if we will we have shown no signs in nearly 4 years of his ownership.
  • Swisdom said:

First things Roland and co did get rid of Kermorgant and Powell. Both decisions have hunted them since they were made.

Wouldn’t it be nice if new owners came in and listened to the fans. The guy from Australia is unlikely to have a particularly good grasp on L1 where as Karl Robinson certainly does. Coming in and scking him would be a quick step backwards.
    We are playing some of the best football we have played for many many years - imagine the potential Robinson was allowed to bring in all the players he wants.

I’ve said it before but my big concern is the money. With roland we are not running out of money and Are nowhere near Administration. We do not want to jump out of the frying pan

Sadly, Uncle Roly has been too busy stuffing us into the mincer for us to make it as far as the frying pan.

I'm still not a fan of Robinson, so I'm relatively relaxed about the idea that he might get the heave ho.

The issue is not whether the new owners (if the happen) bring in a new manager, but whether changes improve or damage the club's position.

Just as in previous seasons, a decent(ish) start to the season does not mean that everything is rosy, or that the manager/coach is the Messiah. Even in the best case scenario, we could easily be a month away from any changeover, by which time the positive views that some have of Robinson may have altered.
    Or not......as the case may be.
  • Swisdom said:

unbelievable
  • Sponsored links:

• Im on a course today so perfect for refreshing this thread.

As for Robbo. They'd be mad to get rid of him whilst results are good. I want Powell back as much as anyone but the time has to be right. Robbo has been backed more than any manager under RD so let's make the most of it. If he doesn't take us up I would bring in Powell though.
  • edited October 2017
    johnny73 said:

For this to have leaked I would have thought the sale is at the stage where former directors, and not just Murray, are being consulted.

This is what I was thinking because the situation with the former Directors debentures will have to have been addressed if we are at a fairly advanced stage of DD and we know that one ex Director (not RM) has not been afraid to share his views with us in the past although will have to be very select with whom he shares info at this juncture.
  • Stig said:

Quick message to the cautious and the concerned. There are two very important things to remember here:

1. Things couldn't be any worse. The club doesn't have a future with Duchatelet in control and Incompetent Katie at the helm. If he doesn't sell up, all we have to look forward to is a long lingering death. We are already in the frying pan. Sure, we could jump into the fire, but we could also jump to safety with happy days ahead. Might as well enjoy the moment, because if we stay put we are frazzled.

2. Back in the real world, it doesn't matter one jot what we think or what we write on here. The deal will go ahead, or not, on one factor: Do both parties feel that they are getting what they want. Millions of pounds are at stake here. They aren't going to change their minds because someone in Eltham is a bit cautious or because someone in California does understand their exit strategy.

Just enjoy the moment, and if it all goes wrong at some point down the line, lets worry about that then. We've wanted Two Shats out for years, let's not spoil the enjoyment of him going by fretting about the next owner.

What this man said.
  • edited October 2017
    Flipping heck Canters, I had barely pressed the post comment tab and you're off already. PS, well said though.
  • Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

Right about what? I'm just saying I'm prepared to see what happens with a new owner because this one has been shit. Maybe the next one will be, we won't know till someone tries. I doubt many people will take over Charlton and footballing success is not their main aim, unlike the current owner.
    I'm just saying 'some owners who want success on the pitch first and foremost and want the fans along with them' is a given, of course, but if that's all they're bringing to the table, forget it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!