Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• DA9 said:

Maybe clutching at very small straws, but Mark Schwarzer (sic) just said on talksport that he had a phone call yesterday asking if he wanted to get involved professionally with a footballl club again, didn't say from whom, or whom with, he turned it down.

Oooooooooooh the plot thickens.
  • maybe because he knows he has a job lined-up already elsewhere?
  • My phone and internet are down at work. Convenient.
  • In the words of the late Doris Kappelhoff 'Que sera sera', but this thread has reignited the forum and its been great hearing a range of views interspersed with the usual banter and humour. Hope Cantersaddick gets some work done today!

Jeez! Doris Day is dead? When did that happen?

RIP Doris.
  • ...I can't believe my first post on this thread is about Doris Day!
  • The Aussies were definitely struggling for capital a few months ago.
    So much so the I nearly had a meeting with the mighty Keith Harris (I kid you not!)
    Their blueprint was fanciful in my view but they are passionate about their sport so who knows.
    Just hope they've got someone involved with more clout than a biscuit factory owner from shuttleworth! ( my fake persona for investigative purposes!)

A lot of people, with a lot of money, eat a lot of biscuits carly.
  • Sponsored links:

• ...I can't believe my first post on this thread is about Doris Day!

I can.
  • edited October 2017

In the words of the late Doris Kappelhoff 'Que sera sera', but this thread has reignited the forum and its been great hearing a range of views interspersed with the usual banter and humour. Hope Cantersaddick gets some work done today!

RIP Doris.
    Doris is still with us, 95 years old.
  • edited October 2017

...I can't believe my first post on this thread is about Doris Day!

'The Bournemouth Addick is coming on over the hill'

Whip crack away! Ye Ha! :wink:
  • edited October 2017
    This is not good for my work productivity.
  • edited October 2017
    HarryLime said:

In the words of the late Doris Kappelhoff 'Que sera sera', but this thread has reignited the forum and its been great hearing a range of views interspersed with the usual banter and humour. Hope Cantersaddick gets some work done today!

RIP Doris.
    Doris is still with us, 95 years old.
    I know.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    How can anything be worth a gamble when you don't know the runners and riders/team/contestants ?

We all know the current owner is toxic, but at this stage, I for one know nothing about a potential new owner and their finances, so how can I possibly take a a gamble today ?

Give me some facts and I'd agree that on the balance of probability a new owner could be great, but with zero information I cannot.
    Crikey....you know the owner is toxic, fans are leaving in droves, we have the richest owner in our history but one who has no ambition to further Charlton as a competitive football team and you're happy to carry on as we are. I'm still amazed at how quickly people have changed their tune on getting these idiots out. Could new owners be worse? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. Maybe I'm prepared to take the chance because I won't be back till these idiots fuck off.
    You're making it up now Nug. I do not want the owner to carry on and I never said I did.
    I have been on all the protests including to Belgium and I have literally just said the current owner is toxic.
    I have not changed my tune and I'd like these idiots out.
    But yes a new owner could be worse and I'm not prepared to start celebrating when I know eff all about a potential new owner.

What if it's Owen Oyston or one of those guys that wrecked Portsmouth and there's another stack of their like out there ?

Anyone that would take someone worse is foolish in the extreme and as of right now, we don't even know who it is for sure and we know even less about their finances.

A better owner than RD & of course I'll be celebrating, but not until I know who it is.

Pretty much sums it up for me!

If it is the Aussies, from what we were told a few months ago they were struggling for money just to buy the club, let alone funding the future, what's suddenly changed?

Three years ago the spivs nearly put us into administration, and rumours were they were majorly struggling to pay the bills and players, certainly don't want to go back to that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

Just saying.

What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    How can anything be worth a gamble when you don't know the runners and riders/team/contestants ?

We all know the current owner is toxic, but at this stage, I for one know nothing about a potential new owner and their finances, so how can I possibly take a a gamble today ?

Give me some facts and I'd agree that on the balance of probability a new owner could be great, but with zero information I cannot.
    Crikey....you know the owner is toxic, fans are leaving in droves, we have the richest owner in our history but one who has no ambition to further Charlton as a competitive football team and you're happy to carry on as we are. I'm still amazed at how quickly people have changed their tune on getting these idiots out. Could new owners be worse? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. Maybe I'm prepared to take the chance because I won't be back till these idiots fuck off.
    You're making it up now Nug. I do not want the owner to carry on and I never said I did.
    I have been on all the protests including to Belgium and I have literally just said the current owner is toxic.
    But yes a new owner could be worse and I'm not prepared to start celebrating when I know eff all about a potential new owner.

What if it's Owen Oyston or one of those guys that wrecked Portsmouth and there's another stack of their like out there ?

Anyone that would take someone worse is foolish in the extreme and as of right now, we don't even know who it is for sure and we know even less about their finances.

A better owner than RD & of course I'll be celebrating, but not until I know who it is.

If it is the Aussies, from what we were told a few months ago they were struggling for money just to buy the club, let alone funding the future, what's suddenly changed?

Because a few months ago it was someone setting up a consortium trying to raise the funds to buy us. Now the The Valley and Sparrows Lane are included in the sale and Andrew Muir is now involved who is worth 750m alone.

Three years ago the spivs nearly put us into administration, and rumours were they were majorly struggling to pay the bills and players, certainly don't want to go back to that!

quite right we don't

• My concerns are from post one of this thread, particularly these bits from the Mail on line .

AFC, who have their sights on making Charlton the breeding ground for talent from Down Under, have undertaken initial due diligence with plans to turn Karl Robinson's side into 'Australia's Football Club'.

AFC's stated aim is to return Charlton to the Premier League, though there is a desire to create a natural link between the club and Australian football, making Charlton something of a feeder club for the next generation of Aussie superstars.

Nothing wrong with Premiership ambitions, but achieving it with ‘promising’ young Aussie lads seems about as likely as getting there with Belgian rejects. I hate to think of Charlton as a feeder club with a stolen identity.

Just to be clear, I want the present owner out, but surely the main objective must be to restore Charlton's identity.

Maybe Charlton needs to evolve to survive...
  • Essex_Al said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Just saying.

Because a few months ago it was someone setting up a consortium trying to raise the funds to buy us. Now the The Valley and Sparrows Lane are included in the sale and Andrew Muir is now involved who is worth 750m alone.

quite right we don't

Apologies, didn't realise you had inside information as to who is buying the club.
  • KR shouldn't be going anywhere for starters. Playing good football and we are genuinely getting better.
    I have always believed that RD's aim was to help get us promoted to help himself & command a better fee for a club on the apparent up, could be a case that these potential new people have seen the improvement in playing staff and think the room for progression is there, which I think is.

We have craved an owner who is interested in seeing us progress at a good steady rate and even if they have less money, I would take steadiness instead of the rollercoaster ride of Rolands reign of tyranny!

So yeah, IMO I would take the risk of new owners than persist with RD. His time was up ages ago and we need to look forward to a future without him.

Looking forward to the day when that ol' fuck goes either way though, whether now or down the line!
  • There are two Aussies.
    They may be working together.
    One is the ex retailer Essenden dude and one was interested in Coventry.
    Neither of them could be the guys. Or one of them or both of them.
    Or it might be another party.
    Or it might not happen.
  • What I would like to know is have any of Airman's sources confirmed whether a NDA has been signed and if so, does he think it helps putting it into the public domain ? I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling someone may have done this as they don't want the deal to go through.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!