Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• @Redchaser I agree with all you say.

All we can do is see how it all pans out, who knows another consortium might show their hand if this one fails to complete a deal.

One thing is for sure until RD has gone in total, the club & the rift between fans are not going to heal.

My concerns are from post one of this thread, particularly these bits from the Mail on line .

AFC, who have their sights on making Charlton the breeding ground for talent from Down Under, have undertaken initial due diligence with plans to turn Karl Robinson's side into 'Australia's Football Club'.

AFC's stated aim is to return Charlton to the Premier League, though there is a desire to create a natural link between the club and Australian football, making Charlton something of a feeder club for the next generation of Aussie superstars.

Nothing wrong with Premiership ambitions, but achieving it with ‘promising’ young Aussie lads seems about as likely as getting there with Belgian rejects. I hate to think of Charlton as a feeder club with a stolen identity.

Just to be clear, I want the present owner out, but surely the main objective must be to restore Charlton's identity.

Surely work permit issues would stop young Australian players who haven't yet played for the national team coming over en masse?
  • shirty5 said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    How can anything be worth a gamble when you don't know the runners and riders/team/contestants ?

We all know the current owner is toxic, but at this stage, I for one know nothing about a potential new owner and their finances, so how can I possibly take a a gamble today ?

Give me some facts and I'd agree that on the balance of probability a new owner could be great, but with zero information I cannot.
    Crikey....you know the owner is toxic, fans are leaving in droves, we have the richest owner in our history but one who has no ambition to further Charlton as a competitive football team and you're happy to carry on as we are. I'm still amazed at how quickly people have changed their tune on getting these idiots out. Could new owners be worse? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. Maybe I'm prepared to take the chance because I won't be back till these idiots fuck off.
    Too bloody right! The majority of us have wanted this lot out for near on 3 years, and now as we are the closest yet to that may be happening, certain individuals are worried that the new lot could be worse!

Man up and celebrate the fact that the Belgians could be gone very soon.
    I think we'd extremely unlucky to find an owner worse than the one we have, but it's not impossible. It seems there are more and more unscrupulous owners finding their way into our football clubs, so it's worth thinking about potential issues.

I can't wait to see the back of this lot, but do I want it at any cost? Probably not. I will be celebrating once Roly and Meire are on their way however, whatever happens after that will take time to manifest anyway.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    How can anything be worth a gamble when you don't know the runners and riders/team/contestants ?

We all know the current owner is toxic, but at this stage, I for one know nothing about a potential new owner and their finances, so how can I possibly take a a gamble today ?

Give me some facts and I'd agree that on the balance of probability a new owner could be great, but with zero information I cannot.
    Crikey....you know the owner is toxic, fans are leaving in droves, we have the richest owner in our history but one who has no ambition to further Charlton as a competitive football team and you're happy to carry on as we are. I'm still amazed at how quickly people have changed their tune on getting these idiots out. Could new owners be worse? Yes. Could they be better? Yes. Maybe I'm prepared to take the chance because I won't be back till these idiots fuck off.
    Not everyone wants to sit there in black and white scarves, throw toys on the pitch or stay away. Fans have left through their own choice and I was one of them historically before breaking the self imposed boycott in full this term.

If you look objectively at this season in isolation bar the clown tossery with Novak and the last minute transfer deadline striker fiasco albeit early doors I would say on balance the season has started successfully. Good team, good manager, Charlton people coaching set up, good team spirit, excellent ticket prices and competing at the top of the league. Didn't sell key players in the summer and added to the squad with signings who appear to have been the managers own.

Even the hugely incompetent CEO has been silenced from making any further gaffes. We are also a going concern with players, football and non football staff and suppliers all getting paid on time...this alone gives an edge when attracting players particularly at this level.

If things have been so terrible and "toxic" this season where are the protests?

The atmosphere in North upper was superb on Saturday and probably for the reasons outlined two paragraphs above.

Many have lost objectivity and balance as can be evidenced by assuming negativity in every single thing the club does these days which has further alienated and patronised those who have a different view and widened the division in our fan base.

The desire to get the owners out is clouding judgement. If you view our current season in isolation we are a going concern, spending on the training ground with a decent manager who in the main appears to be selecting and prucuring his players with relative autonomy.

I was vehemently in the get them out ASAP camp at all costs during the Fraeye era and attended the organic first few protests and an early CARD one whilst boycotting ie travelling to protest hanging about on my todd in a pub during the game and returning to barrack outside the west stand after.

I don't like the owner, rate the executive and will always resent them for the shit they bestowed in the early days and the resultant dwindling and divided fan base. They are in my opinion the worst Charlton ownership in my memory.

Whilst I am loathe to in anyway defend, justify or argue for them remaining I am trying to be objective and look at where we are today and am sceptical to the point of paranoia that in 2017 each new takeover in football particularly at this level is a gamble with the entire clubs going concern. If we were still in the karel Fraeye era and him and his.band of merry European pub players were leading us to obscurity then I would be very much of the attitude of any takeover is worth that risk as will be evidenced over many of my vitriolic posts against the regime in the past few years.

However as we stand from today I don't like them but I fear there could be far worse than what we have today and whilst I will try to be objective with new owners IF we getake them just will be very cautious and reserved in judging whether it is an improvement on what we currently have today until the evidence is there as after the last 10 years it would be silly not too.

Really hope it works out for us.
    That's a really good post. If we got worse owners we would be the unluckiest bastards in the history of football.
    It would have to go some to be worse than they have been on the whole! Fingers crossed we get some luck
  • @Nug

How we react to this development is simply an individual decision. I will be delighted to see the back of RD, and will certainly celebrate in some way, make it to the first game if possible. I certainly don't begrudge you personally some feeling of elation given your towering contributions to the CARD campaign.

In the end it comes down to how we each react to the lesson that in football "it's the hope that kills you". In fact, I can recall the discussion on here soon after we started to get details of our new owner, RD and his network. I took a cautious, wait and see stance, and was roundly abused by some people for being too negative, and in some cases being one of those fans who used to enjoy some kind of boardroom access and would now lose it (fantasy all round, that). I can now see people on this thread, who have had a go at me in my Trust role for not being critical enough of the regime. It's all OK. I'm just saying its all part of the life of a committed fan, and we will all take our personal stance.

For now I agree with @Covered End and @Swisdom. That may be a first for me :-) However I can mention that one of @Airman Brown sources is a Trust member who has kindly been keeping us informed for several weeks now. That being the case, I believe this deal hasn't been done yet. Further, this source was able to assure me that Josh Harris indeed did DD on us, which I had been sceptical about. That didn't go through either. So I am still holding my breath. Secondly it is not clear who the owners are at all. If it is the Aussies, i like the look of them based on what Airman has written, but we don't know yet if it is even them, let alone what the new owner's ambitions are, and whether they will commit the money to realise those ambitions.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we should have a referendum on whether to keep Robinson in or to tell him to leave. we could call it gobsxit.

That's hilarious.
  • First up it is a rumor and nothing more. But in the unlikely event it does happen lets hope not this cash strapped Aussie lot who are having to beg and borrow money just to buy the club. I read one of the early articles on them and they said they had £20 million to run the club. that would run out in one season then what liquidation.
  • edited October 2017
    The Aussies were definitely struggling for capital a few months ago.
    So much so that I nearly had a meeting with the mighty Keith Harris (I kid you not!)
    Their blueprint was fanciful in my view but they are passionate about their sport so who knows.
    Just hope they've got someone involved with more clout than a biscuit factory owner from shuttleworth! ( my fake persona for investigative purposes!)
  • Yeah! Let's change the manager and play 4-4-2.

Obviously any new manager will want to bring in his own players and backroom staff (sorry Jacko), so we can probably write off this season whilst we re-build and the players get used to the new formation etc.

OR

Keep Robbo. No need to spend shed loads in January - he said he wants to buy a striker's and one on loan. Hopefully keep the rest of the squad as well.

I know which I prefer.
  • Woke up this morning feeling fine
    I've got Charlton on my mind
    Roly's thinking of selling and he knows he should.. oh yeah
    Something tells me we're into something good....

Love it.
  • edited October 2017
    DD may find issues (its what it there to do).Not an end game but bargaining could happen which could take time or be a total road block.
    There are people in the existing stucture who will not want new owners if there's NDA then is it possible this leak is designed to damage the process ?

Zeibel--comng back from 18hr shift or ExxonMobil Doha 2008 and seeing us all over the front pages of the papers ----mentally buying every super star----buzzing for days (might have been the heat or the hours)---only for that rug to be yanked away at the last second and the day dreams over-----wont believe that its happening till the poodles have left the building
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:

I strongly object to the suggestion that the 'effective silencing' of our CEO is an improvement made by the owner, it was a necessity that only confirms her incompetence.

Surely we need a CEO that is vocal, accessible and talks sense, not one so ineffective that they have to be hidden away and not allowed to speak?

Agreed. Would love another Steve Waggot or Varney but in the context of my post I took the lack of further moronic statements as an acknowledgement of things to correct.

As much I don't think the executive are competent it is incorrect to say they've not made themselves accessible as there have been loads of occasions when they've met fans even last season.
  • CAFCsayer said:

I really don't like Robinson, but sacking him would be ludicrous, we are in the playoffs and have spent sod all. Back him in January, properly, and reevaluate at end of season

think you will find everyone in League One spend sod all but Robinson has a bigger budget than most. Actually I'd argue we are not doing well enough, 10 points behind Shrewsbury and 8 behind Wigan isn't really good enough imo.

• J BLOCK said:

The thought of booting that Sue Parkes and that Smirking Katrien out of our club, gives me shivers. Within an hour of that happening I'll be in the boozer, we'll have our Charlton back!

If we get taken over, KM will of course go, but why would you think Mrs. Parkes would leave when her husband works for the club and she is a fan?
  • CAFCsayer said:

I really don't like Robinson, but sacking him would be ludicrous, we are in the playoffs and have spent sod all. Back him in January, properly, and reevaluate at end of season

^ This I totally agree with

• Unless it's the Oystons, SISU or the guy who ruined Orient, I don't think we could find worse owners. Maybe the Venkys.
    Personally, I hope it's the Aussies as I think they'd be a good fit and would get what Charlton Athletic FC are about.
    I'd also like to keep Robinson. Yes, he's annoying at times, but he at least understands that football is meant to be entertaining and has assembled a decent group of players that feel like a proper Charlton team.

• msomerton said:

First up it is a rumor and nothing more. But in the unlikely event it does happen lets hope not this cash strapped Aussie lot who are having to beg and borrow money just to buy the club. I read one of the early articles on them and they said they had £20 million to run the club. that would run out in one season then what liquidation.

firstly, think it's more than a rumour. Secondly, I think we have moved on from the scenario whereby they were struggling to raise 20m. Muir is worth 750m on his own.
  • edited October 2017
    Essex_Al said:

J BLOCK said:

The thought of booting that Sue Parkes and that Smirking Katrien out of our club, gives me shivers. Within an hour of that happening I'll be in the boozer, we'll have our Charlton back!

If we get taken over, KM will of course go, but why would you think Mrs. Parkes would leave when her husband works for the club and she is a fan?
    Chris Parkes is not getting any younger and retirement if nothing else will be very attractive to him on a change of ownership I would imagine. You're no spring chicken Al and I know from our amateur footballing days I'm older than you and Chris is a couple of years older than me! So circumstances may well overtake events.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!