Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I emailed the Australian Football Consortium (AFC) this morning and got a reply.

They said that, at this stage at least, the rumours linking AFC with a takeover of Charlton Athletic are incorrect.

For all I know it could be smoke and mirrors before an impending takeover but that's what they told me and I'm inclined to believe them.

What kind of response were you expecting?
  • Did no one else contact henslow ( raising capital for the Oz bid) in the summer pretending to be a serious investor so as to get some pretty good info on what they were about and what their plans are?

Just me then.
  • Just in case anyone thinks I've "swapped sides", I haven't.
    I want RD out, but only if we have a better owner.
    I don't want him out for a worse owner that could send us to the wall.
    All, I'm saying is we need to have a little patience here and see what develops.

With you 100% on this.

How do you know beforehand if it's a better owner? Didn't RD look good on paper, say the right things when he took over? We'd all like some sort of guarantee.
  • Nug said:

Just in case anyone thinks I've "swapped sides", I haven't.
    All, I'm saying is we need to have a little patience here and see what develops.

With you 100% on this.

How do you know beforehand if it's a better owner? Didn't RD look good on paper, say the right things when he took over? We'd all like some sort of guarantee.
    Well you may not, which is the point we are making.
  • J BLOCK said:

Just in case anyone thinks I've "swapped sides", I haven't.

If we had 100 new owners only 1 would be worse that this nasty mob. I'll take the risk.
    If only that was guaranteed to be true.
    Won't be far off
  • I emailed the Australian Football Consortium (AFC) this morning and got a reply.

They said that, at this stage at least, the rumours linking AFC with a takeover of Charlton Athletic are incorrect.

For all I know it could be smoke and mirrors before an impending takeover but that's what they told me and I'm inclined to believe them.

I wasn't expecting a response at all, let alone one in half an hour. I emailed him back saying it was a shame but thanks for letting me know. He said to feel free to touch base if I hear anything in the future and that's it.

I wasn't expecting a response at all, let alone one in half an hour. I emailed him back saying it was a shame but thanks for letting me know. He said to feel free to touch base if I hear anything in the future and that's it.
    Share it. Take out names if you have to.

• Sponsored links:

• Any new owners will desperately want to get out of this division

Where we are now, and looking at the teams around us, I imagine that promotion will be the first thing on their agenda, so some money will be spent in January. Everything else, whether it's attracting the best Aussie talent or getting a punt at promotion to the Premier League will wait until we get out of L1.

What worries me is who is going to be judging this 'talent' and whether they are good enough for whatever division we are playing in? I don't want more sub-par players forced on to our manager who is then expected to play them because of some dreamed up strategy by someone who's priorities lie elsewhere. We've been there before and it didn't work out. I want whoever takes over to make US their priority. Not some players who may or may not be the future of Aussie football.

If Muir is acting on his own then maybe AFC are not involved any more.

If Muir is acting on his own then maybe AFC are not involved any more.
    That's entirely possible Large. All I know is what I've shared although I realise there are people that doubt my credibility for whatever reason. I'd love it if the club had links to Australia seeing as I live here.
  • edited October 2017
    At work, semi excited, can't go through the thread, but the number of comments suggest something... or does it..?
  • This thread is where I will spend much of this Friday. Gonna get nice and comfy.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    No no no, no one is forgetting here. It's just going back to my last point, who would want to buy us now?

As far as selling any decent young players, while we're in this division I don't know of any other business model. How else are we going to bring in revenue to match our losses? And if we're not making money, do we expect an owner who will come in and just pump money into the club in the form of philanthropy, and not loans? Because I think that's really unlikely.
    Where is the “speculate to accumulate” ethos in your argument.....nowhere it would seem?
    What is the "accumulate" part of this equation? Is it spending money on players that have high resale value? Is it spending on the academy so that we bring through more players to sell on? I think both of those are decent ambitions.

But if the "accumulate" is reaching the Premier League then we're looking at tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds needing the be speculated before there can be any accumulation.

And this is a good example of why "uniting the fans" is not enough. It's not a business plan, it's a PR strategy. And moreover, I think a lot of fans will want a lot of money pumped in to the club. And as we've seen time and again, money comes with string attached. Be it debt, be it potentially unrealistic expectations, or be it that eventually the money runs out. That's what I think makes some of us so cautious.
    Excellent post as usual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Can I be the first to ask what the new owners exit strategy is?

You laugh but don't you wish we had an answer to that from the Spivs and from Duchatelet.

Maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.
  • At work with a semi. can't go through the thread incase I see the ice silk boxers advert., but the number of comments suggest something... or does it..?

My semi facilities have now officially been demoted to a quarter. ...
  • http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2017-18-blogs/20-10-charlton-takeover-at-advanced-stage/

Extended version of the original article with a little bit more info

Final para is interesting

"I can report with certainty that the due diligence is at an advanced stage. While that does not guarantee a deal will be concluded or any timeline, it will necessarily have required extensive co-operation from the football club, which is unlikely to have been forthcoming without significant proof of funds and an indicative agreement on price. In short, the approach has to be a credible one and of interest to Duchatelet simply to have got this far."
  • Nug said:

SDAddick said:

Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

Nug said:

Nug said:

SDAddick said:

I've missed out on a whole evening of posts having just spent the entire evening driving back from Devon.

Was hoping a little more detail had leaked out but seems not.

Based on the likelihood that it's the Aussies we're talking about just how certain are we that their ownership would be a safe pair of hands ? All the talk of not having enough funds have persisted although I guess that at least must have changed.

I presume we know their business model and we know that they have ambition but is that enough ?

I would hate us to jump out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

Just saying.

These are my thoughts exactly.

What exactly is their business model?
    What's the current business model, alienate the fans and sell any young player with an ounce of talent? Amazing how quickly people forget what's gone on for the last 3 years after a half decent start to the season in a shit league. I think it's worth a gamble.
    Maintaining healthy scepticism whilst hoping for the best but won't be surprised if it's not a fairytale as don't seem to be many successful takeovers in recent years but hoping we buck that trend if this materialises.
    Doesn't have to be a fairytale just some owners who want success on the pitch first and foremost and want the fans along with them.
    Wanting success and wanting the fans along with them isn't enough. They need buckets of cash.

We have an owner with buckets of cash and it's not really been a success has it? Wanting success and taking the fans along is probably enough for me at the moment after the last 3 years.
    What is "success" to you?
    Wanting to turn up again.
    Proper "no on puts baby in the corner" moment there
  • For this to have leaked I would have thought the sale is at the stage where former directors, and not just Murray, are being consulted.
  • edited October 2017
    I wonder if this explains the odd transfer dealings at the end of the summer window. Flogging Novak last minute, bringing in an inexperienced loan and going into the season without backup for Josh.
    If you're close to selling the club then I guess there's no sense in splashing cash on what is usually the most expensive position to recruit in.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!