Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scotland v England / France v England

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2017
    We do have potential, but we have to learn lessons from qualification that we can take into tournaments. Southgate needs to step up to the plate and stop making the same mistakes of his predessesors. We have to think progessively. I look at Cricket. You let the old blokes in blazers run the show and you pack your one day sides with palyers who can't find the boundary. It took us years to embrace what over countries were doing and now we are up there with th emost dynamic sides in the world. To find the solutions look at what the critics are saying and appraise it.
  • Options

Hampden park is in an awful location. Took almost two hours to get from ththe ground to the city.

I always wonder what it was like when there were 140k at games! You can walk it in about an hour.
    Been there once Queens Park v Dunfermline ion the mid 80's about 700 in the stadium.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

I think the fact that the season ended a few weeks ago has a lot to do with it. There was no intensity, and they nearly all lacked sharpness, taking extra touches and so on. Thing is, that happens to them in tournaments too. Maybe a winter World Cup will do us a favour.

How's that an excuse for not beating Scotland though? Some of their players play for championship sides and their season finished over a month ago! 2 of their back 3 play for Ipswich and Blackburn!
    No it's not an excuse. It's a reason. An unacceptable one, but a reason nonetheless.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I don't think that Joe Hart has been England's best goalkeeper for a while now. I prefer Pickford, Forster Butland and Heaton ahead of him. Very poor game between two average/ poor sides. The last ten minutes were exciting though.

Pickford and Butland are the future for England especially the latter for the here and now.

We're getting to the point when Joe Hart was a Young 'keeper and should have been used at the 2010 World Cup ahead of the likes of David James... We were too cowardly to try it and failed badly, that cycle is very quickly coming around again when Butland (Of course its not helped he's been out for the season) should be getting more and more game time
  • Options

Hampden park is in an awful location. Took almost two hours to get from ththe ground to the city.

I always wonder what it was like when there were 140k at games! You can walk it in about an hour.
    Been there once Queens Park v Dunfermline ion the mid 80's about 700 in the stadium.
    Probably wouldn't have large queues at Mount Florida!

Queens Park record attendance is over 90k which beats anything in England quite comfortable and puts them in the number 3 spot in Glasgow!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options

First time I've proper cheered a goal at home for a long time that

I'm not sure if it's an age thing. I remember watching World Cups of old and going mad when England scored (England v Paraguay 1986 stands out in my memory because our neighbours came round to make sure everything was OK) but I can now watch a game and not move an inch when a goal goes in....

...except last night, when every word that my kids aren't meant to hear came out when Kane scored
    Possibly the rarity factor? We used to get one qualifying game on live if it was crucial and England v Scotland in the home internationals. That was more or less it, other than at world cups, where we saw all the England games and they were "our" team for a couple of weeks (until the group stage ended...).
  • Options
    England manager Gareth Southgate insists Joe Hart remains his first-choice goalkeeper - but warned he now faces tough competition for his place.

Hart, 30, conceded two free-kicks against Scotland on Saturday and will not feature in Tuesday's friendly against France in Paris.

When asked who was his current number one, Southgate said: "Joe Hart. In the games we've had, he's been excellent"

Has he? He made a few good saves away in Slovenia/Slovakia (can't remember which) but aside from that i don't ever recall him being excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe hart was appalling Saturday, was up there for the game and when they scored there 2nd i've never heard noise like it, was nice to ruin the party although the bouncers of Glasgow made sure we didn't get in anywhere to have a celebratory drink.
  • Options

England manager Gareth Southgate insists Joe Hart remains his first-choice goalkeeper - but warned he now faces tough competition for his place.

Hart, 30, conceded two free-kicks against Scotland on Saturday and will not feature in Tuesday's friendly against France in Paris.

When asked who was his current number one, Southgate said: "Joe Hart. In the games we've had, he's been excellent"

Has he? He made a few good saves away in Slovenia/Slovakia (can't remember which) but aside from that i don't ever recall him being excellent.

This is what bothers me about Southgate! There are actually some very good alternatives to Hart at this time. Pick your best players evry time - Hart is no longer our best keeper.
  • Options
    Glad Heaton is playing - I think he is our best keeper
  • Options
    The teams are going to going to go onto the pitch to the tune Don't Look Back In Anger and the crowd will sing the UK National Anthem
  • Options
    Can't tell if that's three at the back or stones is playing holding CM?
  • Options

That France team (with the bench) is incredible.
  • Options
    Video Assistant Ref in use for tonight's game.
  • Options
    Bumped into a few Charlton on the train from Ebbsfleet this morning. Very jealous!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly didn't realise England were playing tonight
  • Options

Bumped into a few Charlton on the train from Ebbsfleet this morning. Very jealous!

Don't worry - you support Charlton as well.
  • Options
    OMG, Theresa May at a football match. She must be desperate.
  • Options
    This is spectacularly bizarre.
  • Options
    What the fuck was that!
  • Options
    Naivity... we all know that May was part of the Birmingham Zulu Warriors for years and can chuck a plastic chair as far as a lot of youse fairies!
  • Options
    I reckon Macron invited her to be nice, never thinking she would actually accept.
  • Options
    This French team is so packed full of talent it is ridiculous. Expecting a much better performance from England against France than against the Scots but France just have too much quality for us to win this.
  • Options

You can walk it in 40 minutes.