Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tariqe Fosu - following progress at Brentford.

Comments

• Options
    Now that Ricky has gone he’s certainly our most exciting player. As has already been said, I hope he’s fit enough not to breakdown again.
  • Options
    Presumably, given Robinson's comments this morning re the lack of communication with Duchatalet, he had no input into this signing?
  • Options
    Sage said:

Oggy Red said:

Story of our season:

Player returns after long abscence with injury, plays a match or 2, gets another bad injury..
    Out for the rest of the season.

Come back only when you are truly fit, Tarique.

Believe me, I said it right from the very beginning of how bad his injury was, the club publicly played it down but internally they knew it wasn’t good.

However, they’ve worked tirelessly with him and wasn’t expecting him to be back for the Christmas period so set a reasonable date for the middle of January. I believe they had hoped at the turn of the year he might have been ready for last week, but they’ve been careful with him and I don’t think they would throw him into the squad at all if he hasn’t passed all of the rehabilitation tests of returning to play.

Personally very excited for Fosu to be back fit and playing. Give him time to get back into his stride, find form and that sharpness but hopefully, he will really add to us again.

If he stays injury free now for the rest of the season, I think he will probably end with 12-15 league goals, he is already on 7. That is a fantastic return for a young wide midfielder who has been injured for 2 and a half months of the season.
    Assuming we've held Fosu back it worked out quite well as we managed to scrape 2 one nil wins. Having Mavididi in the squad probably reduced the need to rush him back also
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Story of our season:

Player returns after long abscence with injury, plays a match or 2, gets another bad injury..
    Out for the rest of the season.

Come back only when you are truly fit, Tarique.

I think this is why his 2 weeker has lasted 5 years...
  • Options

Sage, thank you. Interesting insight.

One thing puzzles me though ...... before Fosu is added to the matchday squad after so long out with a serious injury - once he's passed all the rehabilitation tests, any reason as to why he's not first given a run out in an U23s game?

IMO it seems logical to give him a competitive 45 mins or so, but perhaps without the sustained intensity of a 1st team game - where he could gain something towards match fitness, and any niggles could be quickly assessed.

Traditionally it used to be the case where a player returning from long term injury usually had to first build up match fitness in 2nd team games, before returning to the 1st team. Okay, the U23 are no longer 'reserve team' games, but they do allow up to 3 over-age players to feature and, of course, Fosu himself is under 23 in any case.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

One thing puzzles me though ...... before Fosu is added to the matchday squad after so long out with a serious injury - once he's passed all the rehabilitation tests, any reason as to why he's not first given a run out in an U23s game?

IMO it seems logical to give him a competitive 45 mins or so, but perhaps without the sustained intensity of a 1st team game - where he could gain something towards match fitness, and any niggles could be quickly assessed.

Traditionally it used to be the case where a player returning from long term injury usually had to first build up match fitness in 2nd team games, before returning to the 1st team. Okay, the U23 are no longer 'reserve team' games, but they do allow up to 3 over-age players to feature and, of course, Fosu himself is under 23 in any case.

That's how he got injured the second time (Checkatrade game)
  • Options
    Hopefully in good time for Blackpool away, i was there for fleetwood with his lovely hattrick. admittedly first half when he had one i said he was a bit lightweight etc. but another performance like that please i would be happy :) Just what we need with Roly Poly getting rid of our best player.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

That's because he had previously picked up a niggle and wasn't properly fit in the first place.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He should be sitting on the bench until the window closes if Robinson has any sense.
  • Options

Fosu is the most talented player in the league - we have certainly missed him big time.

One of them.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Wasn't that Ben Reeves
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Fosu is the most talented player in the league - we have certainly missed him big time.

One of them.
    I stand by what I say - he is young so will be inconsistent, but he will go to the top. He just needs to get his head down and improve with us for now. He is in the right place and he showed great intelligence coming to a club where he can nail down a place in the team ad develop from there. The big money will come to him soon enough, but he should focus on his game as he is doing above everything else.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

One of them.
    I stand by what I say - he is young so will be inconsistent, but he will go to the top. He just needs to get his head down and improve with us for now. He is in the right place and he showed great intelligence coming to a club where he can nail down a place in the team ad develop from there.
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's great. The first time I heard of him when my cameraman friend at work accosted me over our 'nicking their best young player'. He was quite angry. This guy knows his footie so I thought he was likely to be decent at least. He hugely impressed me in the first match of the season when he received the ball in tight situations over and over again, and never gave the ball away.

Really looking forwards to seeing him on Saturday. Pray that he doesn't pick up another injury.
    With Fosu and Mavididi and Marshall and maybe KAG do we really need Magennis? We scored 4 away from home when he wasn't playing once. Mind you we conceded three.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

One of them.
    I stand by what I say - he is young so will be inconsistent, but he will go to the top. He just needs to get his head down and improve with us for now. He is in the right place and he showed great intelligence coming to a club where he can nail down a place in the team ad develop from there.
    Don't get me wrong, I think he's great. The first time I heard of him when my cameraman friend at work accosted me over our 'nicking their best young player'. He was quite angry. This guy knows his footie so I thought he was likely to be decent at least. He hugely impressed me in the first match of the season when he received the ball in tight situations over and over again, and never gave the ball away.

Really looking forwards to seeing him on Saturday. Pray that he doesn't pick up another injury.
    With Fosu and Mavididi and Marshall and maybe KAG do we really need Magennis? We scored 4 away from home when he wasn't playing once. Mind you we conceded three.
    Is KAG fit?

Big Mag is in very poor goal scoring form, but the problem is if you take him out of the side, then we becoming a very small side, and we are small enough even with him in it. Defending of set pieces then falls almost entirely on the shoulders of our two centre backs and we do become very vulnerable. Tony Ironwilly and Aribo have added a bit of height relative to short-arses they replaced in the team, but neither are exactly towering presences.

I personally think, in the absence of a new signing, we need to persevere with Big Mag and hope he can play his way back into form as someone like Marshall is hopefully doing. While Mag will probably never be prolific, we know he can be much better than he has been recently because he has been for us.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JamesSeed said:

I think you just answered your own question, Jimmy!

• Options
    Yes, I think having Mav, Fosu and Kag is an interesting front three, but big Josh is important defensively as well as offensively.
  • Options

Yes, I think having Mav, Fosu and Kag is an interesting front three, but big Josh is important defensively as well as offensively.

Sorry this is silly, like the thread him converting to Defence the other day even if in jest. He is a Striker, we cannot simply play him because he helps out defending corners, he doesnt track players very well imo and pressurise like most strikers should.
  • Options

Sorry this is silly, like the thread him converting to Defence the other day even if in jest. He is a Striker, we cannot simply play him because he helps out defending corners, he doesnt track players very well imo and pressurise like most strikers should.
    It's not silly at all - so you bring in a Striker that scores a goal a game, but if by taking Josh out we concede two goal a game form set pieces, where has it got us?

Shaun Bartlett used to do a similar job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

It isn't about converting to defence - it is about ensuring you have enough height in your side to deal with teams that might be strong in that area. I don't think this is a new tactical principal. It doesn't have to be a striker, but we are not a large team.
  • Options

It's not silly at all - so you bring in a Striker that scores a goal a game, but if by taking Josh out we concede two goal a game form set pieces, where has it got us?

Shaun Bartlett used to do a similar job.
    And on his day he is good at creating space for others. This was particularly the case in the second half against Bury, where we played the ball into his feet and he was able to hold off defenders, lay the ball off, and move.

If we had another striker who I thought could play up front on his own I'd definitely say give Mag a break. But the truth is we don't. KAG is a very different player who needs space in behind, either by teams attacking us (Wigan), or by teams tiring (Oldham, etc.). He wouldn't have had that kind of space last Saturday and I don't think he'll have it this Saturday unless he comes on as the teams start to tire.
  • Options

With Page available, there is the option of playing "Little Jay" in a LM role, though I imagine KR will still with Kaikai

Bit worried about the physio, he seemed to be enjoying that too much!

who?
  • Options

With Page available, there is the option of playing "Little Jay" in a LM role, though I imagine KR will still with Kaikai

who?
    Oops, I will edit that :smile:
  • Options

who?
    Oops, I will edit that :smile:
    Move on

: - )
  • Options
    As long as he’s back for the playoffs.
  • Options

As long as he’s back for the Shrewsbury game.

fixed
  • Options
    I would be tempted to play Lil Jay and Page on Saturday. Both can offer excellent delivery from the left. If that’s not working we can go back to KaiKai