Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:

I like McCarthy.
    Think he'll be out though by November.

He's been there coming up to 5 years, the 8th longest in England now

Karl Robinson (247 days) is now around half way up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers
  • Options

“I’m going to have 20 quid on them getting beat next week and 20 quid on us winning because we will play better, that’s for sure"

I really hate that old fart Mick Mcarthy

I hope he goes through with the bet and they ban the spanner.
  • Options
    I have a confession. Please forgive me father because I have sinned .. I spent £1 on the Valley Pass. Have to say though, I thought the team was magnificent. If we can keep that group of players fit. I think we're in with a shot. It grieves me that I won't be going again this year but my personal boycott continues
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Of course i am cheered up by today's win, so my objectivity might be off.
    I have just watched Karl Robinson's post match press conference (about 20 mins long) and I really don't understand antagonism towards him if it is simply knee jerk. Nobody is obliged to like him, but for me I see a singular character who is clearly a football man. He may turn out to be ultimately useless, and the proof of all the puddings will be in results, however when he talks he has an interesting persona, and he is not much of a politician, so taking what he says at face value there is a lot to respect. He is a manager who has clear footballing aspirations and I believe he wants to realise them.
    Of today's interview I take two things from it. One is how guarded he was when talking about Kashi. Watch if you can and see what you make of it. I suppose I am particularly pleased to have seen Kashi playing today, and maybe I want Robinson to share that little sense of elation.
    The other thing, which is new to me but others on here will say it happens all over football, was that we have been using a Drone in training to get a birds eye perspective of certain things. very interesting and hearing Robinson talking about that kind of stuff is usually pretty interesting.
    Many posters dismiss Robinson with the Gobinson epithet, but he has something about him, and is much more communicative and convincing than Russell Tablecloths.

I think I've said it many times but in don't understand the vitriol for him. Maybe it's because I'm American and I'm more used to talkative, excitable characters. But I think he's turned out to be a good football coach with a plan who works hard on the training fround
    Barring injuries I think top six should be the minimum this year, and that will be the ultimate tear, but we're light-years ahead of where we were later year when we drew 0-0 with that Dutch side after drawing 0-0 with Orient and Ipswich.
  • Options
    I went with 2 of my kids and that football was excellent! Best I've seen us play since we won league one! I know it was only a friendly and Ipswich were poor but I think we made them look poor! We attacked intent and Fosu and Holmes Looked like world beaters ! Clarke was good Forster-Caskey and Kashi pulled the strings in the middle, Solly and Dasilva were excellent too! Magennis did well also but got very very upset at Fosu for going it alone on a brilliant run but not laying on a goal for Josh which caused Josh to lay into Bowyer on the touchline! Bauer solid as was Konsa! New keeper did very well ! I saw Phillips walk done the steps by us , didn't look happy maybe coz of Martin sitting in the stand but probably more importantly He'd been replaced by a loan keeper! I was impressed with the team today and with Ben Reeves in the stand too maybe exciting times ahead! !
  • Options
    Anywhere I can rewatch the stream?
  • Options
    Can't argue with that result. Lovely stuff
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Would be interested in this as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, what a wonderful performance.
    Fluid.
    Inventive.
    Assured.

Hats off to Robbo, if that was what you were after, boy you got a response.

Big Mag has never been a great player for me, but I take it all back. Followed him throughout and his contribution is immense. I deep bow you sir and apologise.
  • Options
    I was gobsmacked. What an amazing performance by all and the thing that really stood out was the teamwork of our players. Has sorely been missing.

If we play like this during league games then we will surely be right up there.

Still happily stunned.
  • Options
    OK didn't go - hate pre-season friendlies - but 6-1 is still 6-1. Looked at the Ipswich line-up and must confess didn't know any of them so taking this result with a pinch of salt. If the team can reproduce this next Saturday ( don't think for a moment they will, but then again I don't expect them to do so) or get three points I will be a happy bunny.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

A post on the Ipswich message board -

I made an early morning decision to head to Charlton. I thought, well I live in London, I fecked up by booking a holiday which coincides with the first game, I'm at a bit of a loose end.

Mistake. Bad, bad mistake. Staying at home and punching myself in the face for two hours would've been preferable.

You know that hurts that little bit more with those six fingered fists.

Soon I arrived at Charlton. A place, and this might just be me, that always seems miserable. Like a depressed vampire, it sucks your blood and your joy at the same time. I went in the Antigallican pub for a couple of pints of football pain killers. You know a pub's rough when all the glasses are plastic. It's so sh!t the north of England would turn its nose up.

Yeah, but like, I've been to Ipswich...

One of the barmaids looked like she'd be pretty if you dug deep enough through the layers of makeup.

Insert joke about not being attracted to her because she's not a family member.

Andre Dozzell was a bright spark, showing deft touches and close control. No idea where he gets that from. And his twin (haircut) brother looked alright too.

That's not how genetics work mate.

Salami or something. He got a pizza the action.

Rubbish pun.
  • Options

Brixton Hill is currently a 'closed for traffic' river, due to dodgy Tory-underfunded water pipes, so I cycled down to the station. Soon I arrived at Charlton. A place, and this might just be me, that always seems miserable. Like a depressed vampire, it sucks your blood and your joy at the same time. I went in the Antigallican pub for a couple of pints of football pain killers. You know a pub's rough when all the glasses are plastic. It's so sh!t the north of England would turn its nose up.

Cheeky f*^%*r! He's clearly never been to Crawley!
  • Options

We just beat an established Championship team 6-1. Anyone posting negative comments about the club after that deserves to be shot.

Nearly 2000 souls gave roly money - that is never good.

Can only beat what turns up but this was a half strength team from a relegation destined Ipswich squad

roly still has time to flog off key players and sure as hell won't sanction any more spending "squad obviously more than adequate you've just tonked a championship side get on with winning the division" roly won't recognise the paucity of gobby's squad and will sack gobby when results reflect the facts not roly's warped vision the mental merrygoround turns again. Wibble
  • Options
    edited July 2017

We just beat an established Championship team 6-1. Anyone posting negative comments about the club after that deserves to be shot.

Can only beat what turns up but this was a half strength team from a relegation destined Ipswich squad

roly still has time to flog off key players and sure as hell won't sanction any more spending "squad obviously more than adequate you've just tonked a championship side get on with winning the division" roly won't recognise the paucity of gobby's squad and will sack gobby when results reflect the facts not roly's warped vision the mental merrygoround turns again. Wibble
    A performance and result like that might encourage RD to let KR have an increased budget if indeed it needs increasing. We may have only had PSFs so far but the players and play looks right and has shown enough to invest a little more in. I doubt any player KR wants to keep will be sold just because RD wants to get some money back. That's a team that will pay another sort of dividend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is promising and we do have some decent players. It was clear Fosu has something about him at Stevenage last week. We do need to have the depth to cover injuries/loss of form which ought to be a no brainer seeing as we do have decent players.
  • Options

Brixton Hill is currently a 'closed for traffic' river, due to dodgy Tory-underfunded water pipes, so I cycled down to the station. Soon I arrived at Charlton. A place, and this might just be me, that always seems miserable. Like a depressed vampire, it sucks your blood and your joy at the same time. I went in the Antigallican pub for a couple of pints of football pain killers. You know a pub's rough when all the glasses are plastic. It's so sh!t the north of England would turn its nose up.

Cheeky f*^%*r! He's clearly never been to Crawley!
    Or Gillingham
  • Options

A performance and result like that might encourage RD to let KR have an increased budget if indeed it needs increasing. We may have only had PSFs so far but the players and play looks right and has shown enough to invest a little more in. I doubt any player KR wants to keep will be sold just because RD wants to get some money back. That's a team that will pay another sort of dividend.
    Given all that we know about the regimes past behaviours, literally everything you have said here is the opposite of what will happen
  • Options

would say it's far more likely that RD would think if we can beat a team from a higher division 6-1, then we can probably afford to sell 1-2 players
  • Options
    I think Ipswich were missing some significant players through injury - Bristol Rovers beat WBA too, we need not get too confident ahead of next Saturday.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I think Ipswich were missing some significant players through injury - Bristol Rovers beat WBA too, we need not get too confident ahead of next Saturday.

Bristol rovers beat a wba team which has a bit more time to get to the same match fitness before their season starts and that struggled to put a side out and could only find 6 subs to put on the bench for a psf.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Would be interested in this as well.
    The whole game is available to watch on the live video page (link below) until Monday - simply rewind the game back to the start of the stream. We will be uploading the whole game to Valley Pass in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_g4j6tju3

Thank you for all the comments as well about the Live Stream. It's very hard work but has been a positive pre-season and was great to see so many people watching our final game stream
    If it has t already been mentioned elsewhere, I was impressed at how quick the action replays were appearing in the 'big' screen yesterday. A nice slick operation going on behind the scenes there