Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Are there any plans to put match highlights on YouTube? I notice no match highlights packages have been uploaded at all this summer. And with the exception of the Irish live streams, there's only been one video uploaded in the last three weeks.

Is this a conscious decision to try and get people signing up for Valley Pass? Will be disappointed if the highlights going forward (as well as extra angles and 360 videos etc.) aren't on YouTube a day or two after the end of the match like they have been in previous seasons.

The highlights on YouTube were part of a central Football League deal - this was a central deal so everyone got it whether part of EFL Digital or not. I know it sounds late but I'm still unsure what's happening as I was told the YouTube deal hadn't been renewed then heard a conflicting view on Friday so at this stage I'm unsure.

Valley Pass has multiple layers so some stuff is behind a paywall (marked with a subscribe sash in the thumbnail) and other stuff is free so you just have to sign in to watch it and don't have to pay a subscription.

I believe the plan will be for short highlights to be VP subscription only from midnight to midday (EFL/TV rights deal says they have to be behind a paywall during this period) and these will then move to sign in but free to watch from midday. Extended highlights will be subscription only but I need to work out clarification on holdback periods. This is all subject to change so isn't gospel but I think this is the rough plan.
  • Options

Are there any plans to put match highlights on YouTube? I notice no match highlights packages have been uploaded at all this summer. And with the exception of the Irish live streams, there's only been one video uploaded in the last three weeks.

Is this a conscious decision to try and get people signing up for Valley Pass? Will be disappointed if the highlights going forward (as well as extra angles and 360 videos etc.) aren't on YouTube a day or two after the end of the match like they have been in previous seasons.

The highlights on YouTube were part of a central Football League deal - this was a central deal so everyone got it whether part of EFL Digital or not. I know it sounds late but I'm still unsure what's happening as I was told the YouTube deal hadn't been renewed then heard a conflicting view on Friday so at this stage I'm unsure.

Valley Pass has multiple layers so some stuff is behind a paywall (marked with a subscribe sash in the thumbnail) and other stuff is free so you just have to sign in to watch it and don't have to pay a subscription.

I believe the plan will be for short highlights to be VP subscription only from midnight to midday (EFL/TV rights deal says they have to be behind a paywall during this period) and these will then move to sign in but free to watch from midday. Extended highlights will be subscription only but I need to work out clarification on holdback periods. This is all subject to change so isn't gospel but I think this is the rough plan.
    It sounds an excellent service and well done to you all, but those of us refusing to sign up for anything club related (Yes I am that sad) are buggered.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    cfgs said:

It sounds an excellent service and well done to you all, but those of us refusing to sign up for anything club related (Yes I am that sad) are buggered.
    If what @sadamson84 is suggesting is how it ends up working it seems a fair enough offering from the club. Those choosing not to subscribe are doing just that, choosing. No reason the club should be expected offer a full service to those who won't pay for it.
  • Options

All optimism needs be tempered by the fact that Ipswich are really lacking intensity in this game... but... very tidy from us so far and showing

cfgs said:

If what @sadamson84 is suggesting is how it ends up working it seems a fair enough offering from the club. Those choosing not to subscribe are doing just that, choosing. No reason the club should be expected offer a full service to those who won't pay for it.
    All your points are valid.
    However it is a take it or leave it monopoly which might not turn out to be all that great.
  • Options

We just beat an established Championship team 6-1. Anyone posting negative comments about the club after that deserves to be shot.

Nearly 2000 souls gave roly money - that is never good.

Can only beat what turns up but this was a half strength team from a relegation destined Ipswich squad

roly still has time to flog off key players and sure as hell won't sanction any more spending "squad obviously more than adequate you've just tonked a championship side get on with winning the division" roly won't recognise the paucity of gobby's squad and will sack gobby when results reflect the facts not roly's warped vision the mental merrygoround turns again. Wibble
    A performance and result like that might encourage RD to let KR have an increased budget if indeed it needs increasing. We may have only had PSFs so far but the players and play looks right and has shown enough to invest a little more in. I doubt any player KR wants to keep will be sold just because RD wants to get some money back. That's a team that will pay another sort of dividend.
    would say it's far more likely that RD would think if we can beat a team from a higher division 6-1, then we can probably afford to sell 1-2 players
    Why would he do that? He's more or less won the battle against the protesters and a successful promotion challenge and increasing gates will 'prove' his way the 'right' way to do things. When you've got shed loads of money, ego is the biggest currency.
    Won the battle, successful promotion challenge, increasing gates - you do realise the season doesn't start until next Saturday?
    Piece of cake, we're already seventh..
  • Options
    seth plum said:

All optimism needs be tempered by the fact that Ipswich are really lacking intensity in this game... but... very tidy from us so far and showing

cfgs said:

However it is a take it or leave it monopoly which might not turn out to be all that great.
    Who are you expecting to offer up a rival service providing live coverage and extended highlights of a moderately supported third tier football
    club? After, all if we were still part of the central EFL contract it would still be a monopoly providing the service.
  • Options

seth plum said:

cfgs said:

Who are you expecting to offer up a rival service providing live coverage and extended highlights of a moderately supported third tier football
    club? After, all if we were still part of the central EFL contract it would still be a monopoly providing the service.
    Quite right. The issue therefore might be the complacency that often comes with monopolies of any kind, and the degree to which those monopolies are responsive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cfgs said:

And, seriously not fair to those who are willing to pay for it!

Or, don't those count?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Anywhere I can rewatch the stream?

Would be interested in this as well.
    The whole game is available to watch on the live video page (link below) until Monday - simply rewind the game back to the start of the stream. We will be uploading the whole game to Valley Pass in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_g4j6tju3

Thank you for all the comments as well about the Live Stream. It's very hard work but has been a positive pre-season and was great to see so many people watching our final game stream
    been trying to watch it back, but the spinner just keeps spinning... it's like a dissappointing visit to meat spin.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

The whole game is available to watch on the live video page (link below) until Monday - simply rewind the game back to the start of the stream. We will be uploading the whole game to Valley Pass in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_g4j6tju3

Thank you for all the comments as well about the Live Stream. It's very hard work but has been a positive pre-season and was great to see so many people watching our final game stream
    been trying to watch it back, but the spinner just keeps spinning... it's like a dissappointing visit to meat spin.
    Doesn't work in chrome. Use a different browser.
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

cfgs said:

Quite right. The issue therefore might be the complacency that often comes with monopolies of any kind, and the degree to which those monopolies are responsive.
    Or it could be that by bringing in house, having Charlton people working on it, and CAFC accountable for it instead of being able to pass the buck to the EFL or whoever, might actually reduce complacency and improve the service.

We don't know yet, but do far it's seems to have been decent, as far as I can tell, and certainly not inferior to the old CAFCPlayer - the stream yesterday was very high quality.

Perhaps the best course of action here might be to show a bit of respect to people like @sadamson84 and Olly who are clearly working hard to deliver a good service including coming on here trying to keep fans up to date and finding an accepatablevwirk around for issues in Ireland. Maybe cut them some slack for any teething problems getting something fairly technically complicated up and running, and wait until it actually proves to be a poor service before complaining about it.

Plenty of sticks with which to beat the regime without this strange desire to keep inventing problems that aren't really there.
    One of the best sentences I've seen on here for some while, spot on mate!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

cfgs said:

Or it could be that by bringing in house, having Charlton people working on it, and CAFC accountable for it instead of being able to pass the buck to the EFL or whoever, might actually reduce complacency and improve the service.

We don't know yet, but do far it's seems to have been decent, as far as I can tell, and certainly not inferior to the old CAFCPlayer - the stream yesterday was very high quality.

Perhaps the best course of action here might be to show a bit of respect to people like @sadamson84 and Olly who are clearly working hard to deliver a good service including coming on here trying to keep fans up to date and finding an accepatablevwirk around for issues in Ireland. Maybe cut them some slack for any teething problems getting something fairly technically complicated up and running, and wait until it actually proves to be a poor service before complaining about it.

Plenty of sticks with which to beat the regime without this strange desire to keep inventing problems that aren't really there.
    I am afraid I disagree with you unsurprisingly.

At a meeting the regime said that the new website and associated enterprises (following the ticketing technical issues) would be the saving of the club so it is they who have introduced the tech side as highly significant. You now seem to be saying that these guys ought to get a blank cheque of approval 'show respect, cut slack' and so on.

If I choose to write my personal feedback on here, or in (unanswered) emails why is that not acceptable? Are you suggesting any response at all is disrespectful, or are you irritated by the number of times I bring things up?

I have actually put my money where my mouth is and subscribed to Valley Pass, and indeed written on Charlton Life that it is good to be able to get commentary when not at games, promoted the service if you like. When I attend I want to be able to hear what is going on and the Tannoy system has been a problem going back years, hardly teething. Announcements are also an issue and my recent post was intended to be helpful in terms of microphone feed back, and I read that the mic worked better when Brian Cole was protected by the dug out shelter.

I don't dispute that these guys are clearly good people, you describe them as Charlton people, and it is not those people (who you describe as clearly working hard) that I complain about as people, but what sometimes actually happens.

As well as attending games I have in the past relied on commentary in order to do match threads. It troubles me that when the commentator was commentating from Dover, and then when I watched some of the Ipswich playback with Jon Fortune and then Jason Pearce there were a huge number of times when the desire of the commentator to talk to the footballer was at the expense of describing the action. Hearing a commentator describing their Sunday league experiences whilst not describing action worries me for those times when I am reliant on audio alone. Will significant stuff be happening whilst we the listeners are left in the dark?

To conclude you award me a high degree of creativity by saying I invent problems that aren't really there. Such as?
  • Options

I think Ipswich were missing some significant players through injury - Bristol Rovers beat WBA too, we need not get too confident ahead of next Saturday.

The Ipswich message forum said it was pretty close to their first team they put out actually.
    I have spoken to an Ipswich fan and they had a number of their best players out. It is similar to the team that will start the season for them, which is cause for concernt to him as is teh strength of their squad (so it isn't just us). I want us to win and this result will do us no harm, and we are sure to be favourites, but it could be a tough game on Saturday. It's as simple as that really.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Tried it on Firefox, Chrome and IE.

Worked on Chrome for the last 2 I watched on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Even if we DID ago up this season under RD and KM all that would mean would be that we'd be back in the same division they found us in - hardly a glowing achievement!

Back in 2012/13 under Powell we were ready for a Premier League push, the foundations were clearly there in Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Wiggins, Stephens, Kermorgant - we just needed 3-4 new Championship level players.

Instead we got Sarr and Ba.

Don't forget Anil Koc
  • Options
    Don't forget that a season and a half of decidedly non-promotion-pushing occurred before RD even got his mitts on our club - Sarr, Ba, Koc and all - revisionism isn't a good look folks
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Tried it on Firefox, Chrome and IE.

Worked on Chrome for the last 2 I watched on it.
    In which case pass
  • Options

Leuth said:

Don't forget that a season and a half of decidedly non-promotion-pushing occurred before RD even got his mitts on our club - Sarr, Ba, Koc and all - revisionism isn't a good look folks

Leuth said:

False

Last full season before Duchatelet we finished 9th and three points off the play-offs despite Cash withdrawing the cash.

Revisionist nonsense.
    Thanks to a late run of wins after the play-offs were basically not possible any more. The teams were very bunched up that year. Point stands: we WERE in a position to build a promotion side but we didn't do it that season OR the summer afterwards, long before RD or any of those players got involved. You can't seriously call the season we finished 9th a promotion-pushing year! FFS

• Options
    Anything to have a pop at me though I suppose
  • Options
    Our current owners are crap, the previous owners were crap and probably the next set of owners will be crap. I don't see a boycott forcing RD out as financially he can live with it.

• Options
    All owners can be crap (or good) but there can be crap owners who want sporting success as their priority, and crap owners who are ambivalent about sporting success.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

False

Last full season before Duchatelet we finished 9th and three points off the play-offs despite Cash withdrawing the cash.

Revisionist nonsense.
    Thanks to a late run of wins after the play-offs were basically not possible any more. The teams were very bunched up that year. Point stands: we WERE in a position to build a promotion side but we didn't do it that season OR the summer afterwards, long before RD or any of those players got involved. You can't seriously call the season we finished 9th a promotion-pushing year! FFS

I think a season where you finish 3 points off the play offs - you can.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

cfgs said:

I am afraid I disagree with you unsurprisingly.

At a meeting the regime said that the new website and associated enterprises (following the ticketing technical issues) would be the saving of the club so it is they who have introduced the tech side as highly significant. You now seem to be saying that these guys ought to get a blank cheque of approval 'show respect, cut slack' and so on.

If I choose to write my personal feedback on here, or in (unanswered) emails why is that not acceptable? Are you suggesting any response at all is disrespectful, or are you irritated by the number of times I bring things up?

I have actually put my money where my mouth is and subscribed to Valley Pass, and indeed written on Charlton Life that it is good to be able to get commentary when not at games, promoted the service if you like. When I attend I want to be able to hear what is going on and the Tannoy system has been a problem going back years, hardly teething. Announcements are also an issue and my recent post was intended to be helpful in terms of microphone feed back, and I read that the mic worked better when Brian Cole was protected by the dug out shelter.

I don't dispute that these guys are clearly good people, you describe them as Charlton people, and it is not those people (who you describe as clearly working hard) that I complain about as people, but what sometimes actually happens.

As well as attending games I have in the past relied on commentary in order to do match threads. It troubles me that when the commentator was commentating from Dover, and then when I watched some of the Ipswich playback with Jon Fortune and then Jason Pearce there were a huge number of times when the desire of the commentator to talk to the footballer was at the expense of describing the action. Hearing a commentator describing their Sunday league experiences whilst not describing action worries me for those times when I am reliant on audio alone. Will significant stuff be happening whilst we the listeners are left in the dark?

To conclude you award me a high degree of creativity by saying I invent problems that aren't really there. Such as?
    Seth, in regards to talking to the player during commentary, this is because there was an actual stream that you could watch, so no need to describe everything that we are seeing (i.e a short five-yard pass) as you were a 'viewer' as well as being a 'listener'.

In the case of Jason (I did not do the Dover game), it was a unique opportunity to get an insight into the season and find out more that a lot of people seemed to enjoy.

But don't fear, if you listened to last season's commentary, you'd have noticed myself and Terry are very keen to describe absolutely everything we can and try not to astray from the action.