Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - PSF - Match Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

All optimism needs be tempered by the fact that Ipswich are really lacking intensity in this game... but... very tidy from us so far and showing

cfgs said:

Are there any plans to put match highlights on YouTube? I notice no match highlights packages have been uploaded at all this summer. And with the exception of the Irish live streams, there's only been one video uploaded in the last three weeks.

Is this a conscious decision to try and get people signing up for Valley Pass? Will be disappointed if the highlights going forward (as well as extra angles and 360 videos etc.) aren't on YouTube a day or two after the end of the match like they have been in previous seasons.

The highlights on YouTube were part of a central Football League deal - this was a central deal so everyone got it whether part of EFL Digital or not. I know it sounds late but I'm still unsure what's happening as I was told the YouTube deal hadn't been renewed then heard a conflicting view on Friday so at this stage I'm unsure.

Valley Pass has multiple layers so some stuff is behind a paywall (marked with a subscribe sash in the thumbnail) and other stuff is free so you just have to sign in to watch it and don't have to pay a subscription.

I believe the plan will be for short highlights to be VP subscription only from midnight to midday (EFL/TV rights deal says they have to be behind a paywall during this period) and these will then move to sign in but free to watch from midday. Extended highlights will be subscription only but I need to work out clarification on holdback periods. This is all subject to change so isn't gospel but I think this is the rough plan.
    It sounds an excellent service and well done to you all, but those of us refusing to sign up for anything club related (Yes I am that sad) are buggered.
    If what @sadamson84 is suggesting is how it ends up working it seems a fair enough offering from the club. Those choosing not to subscribe are doing just that, choosing. No reason the club should be expected offer a full service to those who won't pay for it.
    All your points are valid.
    However it is a take it or leave it monopoly which might not turn out to be all that great.
    Who are you expecting to offer up a rival service providing live coverage and extended highlights of a moderately supported third tier football
    club? After, all if we were still part of the central EFL contract it would still be a monopoly providing the service.
    Quite right. The issue therefore might be the complacency that often comes with monopolies of any kind, and the degree to which those monopolies are responsive.
    Or it could be that by bringing in house, having Charlton people working on it, and CAFC accountable for it instead of being able to pass the buck to the EFL or whoever, might actually reduce complacency and improve the service.

We don't know yet, but do far it's seems to have been decent, as far as I can tell, and certainly not inferior to the old CAFCPlayer - the stream yesterday was very high quality.

Perhaps the best course of action here might be to show a bit of respect to people like @sadamson84 and Olly who are clearly working hard to deliver a good service including coming on here trying to keep fans up to date and finding an accepatablevwirk around for issues in Ireland. Maybe cut them some slack for any teething problems getting something fairly technically complicated up and running, and wait until it actually proves to be a poor service before complaining about it.

Plenty of sticks with which to beat the regime without this strange desire to keep inventing problems that aren't really there.
    I am afraid I disagree with you unsurprisingly.

At a meeting the regime said that the new website and associated enterprises (following the ticketing technical issues) would be the saving of the club so it is they who have introduced the tech side as highly significant. You now seem to be saying that these guys ought to get a blank cheque of approval 'show respect, cut slack' and so on.

If I choose to write my personal feedback on here, or in (unanswered) emails why is that not acceptable? Are you suggesting any response at all is disrespectful, or are you irritated by the number of times I bring things up?

I have actually put my money where my mouth is and subscribed to Valley Pass, and indeed written on Charlton Life that it is good to be able to get commentary when not at games, promoted the service if you like. When I attend I want to be able to hear what is going on and the Tannoy system has been a problem going back years, hardly teething. Announcements are also an issue and my recent post was intended to be helpful in terms of microphone feed back, and I read that the mic worked better when Brian Cole was protected by the dug out shelter.

I don't dispute that these guys are clearly good people, you describe them as Charlton people, and it is not those people (who you describe as clearly working hard) that I complain about as people, but what sometimes actually happens.

As well as attending games I have in the past relied on commentary in order to do match threads. It troubles me that when the commentator was commentating from Dover, and then when I watched some of the Ipswich playback with Jon Fortune and then Jason Pearce there were a huge number of times when the desire of the commentator to talk to the footballer was at the expense of describing the action. Hearing a commentator describing their Sunday league experiences whilst not describing action worries me for those times when I am reliant on audio alone. Will significant stuff be happening whilst we the listeners are left in the dark?

To conclude you award me a high degree of creativity by saying I invent problems that aren't really there. Such as?
    Seth, in regards to talking to the player during commentary, this is because there was an actual stream that you could watch, so no need to describe everything that we are seeing (i.e a short five-yard pass) as you were a 'viewer' as well as being a 'listener'.

In the case of Jason (I did not do the Dover game), it was a unique opportunity to get an insight into the season and find out more that a lot of people seemed to enjoy.

But don't fear, if you listened to last season's commentary, you'd have noticed myself and Terry are very keen to describe absolutely everything we can and try not to astray from the action.
    I am glad you say that, because as listeners we are blind to the action and depend on you entirely. Last season I would usually listen to the away commentators, some being excellent, and some being entirely useless. Occasionally I would listen to our own commentators (in the past some of the Radio London commentators had put me off), and although generally sympathetic to Charlton as would be expected, they were a step up from the BBC people.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

To conclude you award me a high degree of creativity by saying I invent problems that aren't really there. Such as?

Okay, so one example would be right above where you are moaning that Stubbers and Tel were speaking to Jason Pearce instead of describing every single move on the field of play. Stubbers has already ably explained why that was not the issue you thought it was.

Another would be you highlighting problems with the Tannoy when we're talking about the Valley Pass website. the two are a) completely unrelated and b) you seem to be the only one that has a serious beef with the Tannoy. Admittedly I haven't been to the Valley since 15/16 season, but I have never had any trouble hearing announcements.

Or perhaps you worrying about poor/complacent customer service that may or may not actually happen.

You've had it in for the new website ever since you started that weird thread a couple of months back making out that the club thinks the new website will some how win us matches and fix everything that is wrong at the club. I a) find it very hard to believe that anyone, even the bunch currently running us, would genuinely believe that the only thing holding the club back was its website, and b) even if some crackpot does think that, it doesn't mean the website cannot be a good website and it doesn't mean the people actually working on the website believe/endorse that crackpottery.

All I'm saying is, rather like a new signing, lets actually give the service a chance to perform and settle in for a few weeks before we start picking holes in it.

Constructive criticism, pointing out errors etc. to help them fix teething issues is one thing and in fact valuable to the service, but this desire of some posters on here to find a negative angle to every single thing anyone or anything at the club does is getting so so boring.

• Options

seth plum said:

Okay, so one example would be right above where you are moaning that Stubbers and Tel were speaking to Jason Pearce instead of describing every single move on the field of play. Stubbers has already ably explained why that was not the issue you thought it was.

I said it worried me that it would be replicated when audio only, it was then that StubleyAddick commented.

Another would be you highlighting problems with the Tannoy when we're talking about the Valley Pass website. the two are a) completely unrelated and b) you seem to be the only one that has a serious beef with the Tannoy. Admittedly I haven't been to the Valley since 15/16 season, but I have never had any trouble hearing announcements.

I go to the Valley and find the tannoy system frustrating, and I relate the two valley pass and general technology) because Mr Adamson has been involved with both of those aspects of the club.

Or perhaps you worrying about poor/complacent customer service that may or may not actually happen.

I said that complacency is a risk when there is a monopoly.

You've had it in for the new website ever since you started that weird thread a couple of months back making out that the club thinks the new website will some how win us matches and fix everything that is wrong at the club. I a) find it very hard to believe that anyone, even the bunch currently running us, would genuinely believe that the only thing holding the club back was its website, and b) even if some crackpot does think that, it doesn't mean the website cannot be a good website and it doesn't mean the people actually working on the website believe/endorse that crackpottery.

The website was heralded in effusive manner in a meeting with supporters, whilst other matters were passed over. Although you make a good point in that compared to poor results for example it isn't the website that has been holding us back.

All I'm saying is, rather like a new signing, lets actually give the service a chance to perform and settle in for a few weeks before we start picking holes in it.

I am only one opinion admittedly, but I have clearly stated previously on Charlton Life that having a commentary service is a good thing and also not bad value at £60 a year. By saying that I have encouraged the service a little bit, and others to possibly sign up.

Constructive criticism, pointing out errors etc. to help them fix teething issues is one thing and in fact valuable to the service, but this desire of some posters on here to find a negative angle to every single thing anyone or anything at the club does is getting so so boring.

My responses frequently have suggestions for improvement, and feedback such discussing things on the screen is valid isn't it? I think your phrase 'every single thing' is an exaggeration if you wish to apply it to me, I will certainly respond with praise when I think it is appropriate.

I have tried to respond to what you have written in bold above.

• Options
    edited July 2017

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Don't forget that a season and a half of decidedly non-promotion-pushing occurred before RD even got his mitts on our club - Sarr, Ba, Koc and all - revisionism isn't a good look folks

Leuth said:

Don't forget that a season and a half of decidedly non-promotion-pushing occurred before RD even got his mitts on our club - Sarr, Ba, Koc and all - revisionism isn't a good look folks

False

Last full season before Duchatelet we finished 9th and three points off the play-offs despite Cash withdrawing the cash.

Revisionist nonsense.
    Thanks to a late run of wins after the play-offs were basically not possible any more. The teams were very bunched up that year. Point stands: we WERE in a position to build a promotion side but we didn't do it that season OR the summer afterwards, long before RD or any of those players got involved. You can't seriously call the season we finished 9th a promotion-pushing year! FFS

I think a season where you finish 3 points off the play offs - you can.
    Yes but the revisionist doesnt do facts

As you can see we won 6, drew 3 and lost one of our last ten games.

Two of those draws were in our last four games.

So converting two draws would have taken us into the play-offs. It didn't happen but to pretend we never had even an outside chance is just re-writing history to fit current prejudices.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Just in case it matters to anyone I have been unable to hear what the chap on the pitch is saying for several months now. There is an echo that makes it all undeciferabke. It's, also, so loud that it is annoying - especially as I can't make out that he is saying most of the time.

Also is there any need for the bloke to talk (shout) incessantly from the minute I get into the ground until kick off. Why can't they just play music and/or let us talk to the people we are at the game with.

All we need is the teams - and they are on the screen anyway. And what's all the bollox about "Make some noise!"? If I wanted to listen to some brain dead moron talk rubbish I would have spend my Saturday afternoons watching CBeebies.
  • Options

Just in case it matters to anyone I have been unable to hear what the chap on the pitch is saying for several months now. There is an echo that makes it all undeciferabke. It's, also, so loud that it is annoying - especially as I can't make out that he is saying most of the time.

Also is there any need for the bloke to talk (shout) incessantly from the minute I get into the ground until kick off. Why can't they just play music and/or let us talk to the people we are at the game with.

All we need is the teams - and they are on the screen anyway. And what's all the bollox about "Make some noise!"? If I wanted to listen to some brain dead moron talk rubbish I would have spend my Saturday afternoons watching CBeebies.

If Roland completely had his way out first team would be made of players that are the target audience for CBeebies.
  • Options
    I believe no team is better than its owner.

So even more than KR, I think the reason we have improved is first and foremost because RD did not fire KR when we were 3 points from the drop zone and playing poor, last season.

That continuity plus a modest backing in the "free" transfer market this season and resigning Holmes have made the difference. The final on all those matters is RD.

KR accomplishes none of this if RD does not approve it.

So although I don't wanna give RD "credit", I do believe that RD has at least as much to do with this because without his patience in this case, this one time, none of this is happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Leuth are you comparing our eventually skint ownership in The Championship with the loaded c**t who has taken us in to League One and 13th spot last year .....
    Wow
  • Options
    Relating back to earlier discussion, can I just say I can't understand a freaking thing the tannoy announcer says.
    Admittedly my hearing is poor in one ear, but the problem isn't volume because it's way too loud.
  • Options
    I sat in the lower west underneath the upper west overhang at the Norwich game. I couldn't make out anything Brian Cole was saying at all. I think there are particular localised problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has anyone found anywhere to watch the highlights yet without paying for a Valley Pass subscription?
  • Options

My views exactly. When the ground is half empty the music is good, but when talking starts you a) can't hear a thing being said and b) it is so loud you can't hear yourself think and have to shout to make yourself heard by the person standing next to you.

JUST TO LOUD !!!
  • Options
    If you sign up you dont have to pay to watch the highlights.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I made an account but when I try to access the highlights it tells me I need to subscribe to watch them. If I click on the subscribe link, I get the yearly, monthly or 48 hour option, all paid.
  • Options

I made an account but when I try to access the highlights it tells me I need to subscribe to watch them. If I click on the subscribe link, I get the yearly, monthly or 48 hour option, all paid.
    I had the same issue, I'll try on a different browser and report back.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

No joy with either Chrome or the Microsoft browser. It wouldn't really make sense for all the highlights to be free.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

No joy with either Chrome or the Microsoft browser. It wouldn't really make sense for all the highlights to be free.
    But is does really as they will be available for free on Sky Sports and the BBC websites.

Once it is free everywhere else they might as well use it to drive traffic.
  • Options
    My son is trying to convince me that it is worth signing up to player, and what tempted me most was the highlights. Then you see that so far these are a paltry few minutes.

If you already have the material I don't understand why you would cut it to death. I can understand why a TV company would do this, but supporters want to see as much game time as possible.

If one was to get a minimum of 20 mins I would go for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Still not been able to watch any highlights and still getting prompted to pay for a subscription for something I used to able to do for free only a couple of months ago. Plus the YouTube channel uploaded highlights last summer from six pre-season games that are available to watch for free.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

My son is trying to convince me that it is worth signing up to player, and what tempted me most was the highlights. Then you see that so far these are a paltry few minutes.

If you already have the material I don't understand why you would cut it to death. I can understand why a TV company would do this, but supporters want to see as much game time as possible.

Not sure if this is what u mean but Valley Pass has whole Ispswich match - unedited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Redrobo said:

Not sure if this is what u mean but Valley Pass has whole Ispswich match - unedited.
    I have to subscribe to Valley pass and have paid the 60 quid and the Ipswich match is there at about 2 hours long. Navigating the site is not exactly intuitive mind you.
    One irritation is that I haven't been able to bookmark Valley Pass separately but always have to go through the club website to get to it. My personal increase of 'traffic' to the club website is becáuse of this not because of the website.
    Mind you looked at fixtures on the website yesterday and they don't signal if a forthcoming fixture is a league or a cup game. I was surprised to see that we play Portsmouth on a Tuesday when I thought it was a Saturday game near 5th December.
    I am hoping the site has highlights of U18 and U23 games in the future. In an ideal world all the content would be completely free to compensate fans for the dreadful last few years.
  • Options
    Isn't the Pompey game Checkatrade ?
  • Options

I reckon it is. The fixture list would be improved if it was made clear. They highlight in red if it is home and grey if it is away, but league cup, league or silly buggers trophy could be differentiated.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I reckon it is. The fixture list would be improved if it was made clear. They highlight in red if it is home and grey if it is away, but league cup, league or silly buggers trophy could be differentiated.
    Know what you mean... the only way to tell at the moment is if you hover your mouse cursor over the date in question as that then brings up the full information for that particular fixture (i.e. League or Trophy)
  • Options

seth plum said:

Know what you mean... the only way to tell at the moment is if you hover your mouse cursor over the date in question as that then brings up the full information for that particular fixture (i.e. League or Trophy)
    Ah, hovering, wasn't able to figure that using my cheap tablet and a jabbing thingy bought from Tiger Tiger.