Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Is this part of the university of Greenwich tie-up ?
  • Options

Director/Vision-mixer was myself but replay operator and camera ops were all UoG yesterday
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Anywhere I can rewatch the stream?

Would be interested in this as well.
    The whole game is available to watch on the live video page (link below) until Monday - simply rewind the game back to the start of the stream. We will be uploading the whole game to Valley Pass in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_g4j6tju3

Thank you for all the comments as well about the Live Stream. It's very hard work but has been a positive pre-season and was great to see so many people watching our final game stream
    Does it work on mobile?
  • Options
    On a housekeeping note the PA was still echo heavy and stuff, I thought yesterday that Brian Cole should try to speak out on the pitch because it might have been some kind of microphone feedback problem. Either way it was very variable and intermittent with the attendant diction and enunciation problems.
    Maybe the Tannoy in the Jimmy Seed was better because their fans seemed to react to player announcements during substitutions. I think I heard Ricky Holmes being called Matty Holmes but that could have been because of problems with technology and diction.
    I see no benefit to having the game on the screen as it is being played either. Replays yes but other stuff isn't needed and it meant the graphic of score and time was unreadable (colour contrast? Font size?) But more importantly no team lists which was a huge drag.
    If we have announcements and technology, or even websites and online ticket operations shouldn't those who are in charge of this kind of stuff test the systems out on ordinary people rather than simply satisfying themselves?
  • Options

Director/Vision-mixer was myself but replay operator and camera ops were all UoG yesterday
    Sounds like a good mix and it's nice to know the UoG is part of it. That's something that could hugely benefit both parties in the long term as media streams play more and more of a role. The SKY/BT subscription thing is overplayed now imo but there's probably a huge untapped market yet to be discovered and tapped
  • Options
    seth plum said:

On a housekeeping note the PA was still echo heavy and stuff, I thought yesterday that Brian Cole should try to speak out on the pitch because it might have been some kind of microphone feedback problem. Either way it was very variable and intermittent with the attendant diction and enunciation problems.
    Maybe the Tannoy in the Jimmy Seed was better because their fans seemed to react to player announcements during substitutions. I think I heard Ricky Holmes being called Matty Holmes but that could have been because of problems with technology and diction.
    I see no benefit to having the game on the screen as it is being played either. Replays yes but other stuff isn't needed and it meant the graphic of score and time was unreadable (colour contrast? Font size?) But more importantly no team lists which was a huge drag.
    If we have announcements and technology, or even websites and online ticket operations shouldn't those who are in charge of this kind of stuff test the systems out on ordinary people rather than simply satisfying themselves?

The best sound was when Brian sat in the dugout and did the first team run through.

It was better overall than Tuesday night.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

seth plum said:

The best sound was when Brian sat in the dugout and did the first team run through.

It was better overall than Tuesday night.
    I was sitting at the end nearest the covered end and the tannoy sound was deafening. Red red robin was LOUD
  • Options

I think Ipswich were missing some significant players through injury - Bristol Rovers beat WBA too, we need not get too confident ahead of next Saturday.

Why not? It's nice to have some positivity for a change.
  • Options
    There will be a different sound quality inan empty stadium and a stàdium with people in. There must be a way of testing this kind of thing to make it better. God forbid there was ever any kind of emergency but there needs to be a clear system and also a backup contingency in my view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Floebot said:

Dazzler21 said:

Anywhere I can rewatch the stream?

Would be interested in this as well.
    The whole game is available to watch on the live video page (link below) until Monday - simply rewind the game back to the start of the stream. We will be uploading the whole game to Valley Pass in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/valley-pass/video-player?widgets[stream-amg][content_id]=0_g4j6tju3

Thank you for all the comments as well about the Live Stream. It's very hard work but has been a positive pre-season and was great to see so many people watching our final game stream
    Does it work on mobile?
    Yes it should do
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We were streaming the game on Valley Pass - we use the same vision mixer to power the big screen as the live stream, therefore can't do two alternative outputs at the same time. The feed was set up for the VP output but we thought it was better to show the live feed with replays rather than have the screen turned off for the game. The teamline ups will be back next Saturday with clearer text. Tuesday's team line ups was only ever a temporary template whilst the new one was being finalised for the season ahead.
  • Options

Sounds like a good mix and it's nice to know the UoG is part of it. That's something that could hugely benefit both parties in the long term as media streams play more and more of a role. The SKY/BT subscription thing is overplayed now imo but there's probably a huge untapped market yet to be discovered and tapped
    I 100% agree. The development in the last three-five years has been huge for video, even to the simple extent that teams such as ourselves are doing our own broadcasts in-house and receiving big viewing figures - the Hull City U23 live stream on Facebook for example received over 198,000 views.

We plan to do more when we can and I'm sure the next few seasons will be showing some huge advancement in how fans watch games.
  • Options

I think Ipswich were missing some significant players through injury - Bristol Rovers beat WBA too, we need not get too confident ahead of next Saturday.

The Ipswich message forum said it was pretty close to their first team they put out actually.
  • Options
    I didn't attend but looking at the goals I can see why Mick Mac was fuming. The defending from Ipswich was verging on criminal but that's not Charltons fault. From what's been written on here the most encouraging aspect of this game is not the six goals but the fact that the players looked prepared, disciplined, well rehearsed in shape and understanding their roles within the team. That bodes well for a sucessful campaign.

It means we will be competative when we need to dig in and that always gives you a chance. I doubt we'll get as much freedom in any game this season as Ipswich allowed us but on our day I think we can really hurt teams.

Keeping the core team players fit is going to be the key I think. We need a certain amount of luck for that to happen and certainly referees will need to be aware that certain Charlton players are going to be targeted for rough treatment.

I'm certainly encouraged and will be even moreso if Reeves and one or two others are added.

• Options

A post on the Ipswich message board -

Brixton Hill is currently a 'closed for traffic' river, due to dodgy Tory-underfunded water pipes, so I cycled down to the station. Soon I arrived at Charlton. A place, and this might just be me, that always seems miserable. Like a depressed vampire, it sucks your blood and your joy at the same time. I went in the Antigallican pub for a couple of pints of football pain killers. You know a pub's rough when all the glasses are plastic. It's so sh!t the north of England would turn its nose up.

Cheeky f*^%*r! He's clearly never been to Crawley!
    OI!
  • Options

Valley11 said:

I like McCarthy.
    Think he'll be out though by November.

He's been there coming up to 5 years, the 8th longest in England now

Karl Robinson (247 days) is now around half way up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers
    Less than a year making his tenure longer than nearly half the other managers is a massive indictment of the clubs' owners.
  • Options

We just beat an established Championship team 6-1. Anyone posting negative comments about the club after that deserves to be shot.

Nearly 2000 souls gave roly money - that is never good.

Can only beat what turns up but this was a half strength team from a relegation destined Ipswich squad

roly still has time to flog off key players and sure as hell won't sanction any more spending "squad obviously more than adequate you've just tonked a championship side get on with winning the division" roly won't recognise the paucity of gobby's squad and will sack gobby when results reflect the facts not roly's warped vision the mental merrygoround turns again. Wibble
    Weirdo
  • Options

I 100% agree. The development in the last three-five years has been huge for video, even to the simple extent that teams such as ourselves are doing our own broadcasts in-house and receiving big viewing figures - the Hull City U23 live stream on Facebook for example received over 198,000 views.

We plan to do more when we can and I'm sure the next few seasons will be showing some huge advancement in how fans watch games.
    Sounds like you're saying that on a cold and wet Tuesday evening, there'll be nobody watching in the stadium, especially away supporters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's gonna flick one...he's gonna flick one....
  • Options
    Ipswich were poor. However Charlton were well up for this game and exploited their diffidence. Holmes set the no mercy tone and Ipswich couldn't respond.
    We were good there is no doubt about that. If we replicate that every game we ought to have a very good season.
    Bristol Rovers is the real test.
  • Options
    eadt.co.uk/sport/embarrassing-and-disgraceful-mick-mccarthy-slams-his-players-after-ipswich-town-s-6-1-thrashing-at-charlton-1-5127374

Dont know if this has been posted elsewhere, but this is Mccarthy's thoughts on yesterdays game. He is not a happy chappy!!
  • Options
    @sadamson84

Player used to show us the lineups and league table and a few other stats whilst the commentary was going.

Valley pass (for the games that have been commentary only) hasn't shown us anything. Ibknow the old system was provided by the football league but do you have any plans to show lineups/subs/scoreline etc alongside the commentary?
  • Options

My son in law does this job professionally for motor sports broadcasts and I've seen the ranks of screens computers and operators needed to make it all happen, so all respects to what you are delivering with limited resources.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

There will be a different sound quality inan empty stadium and a stàdium with people in. There must be a way of testing this kind of thing to make it better. God forbid there was ever any kind of emergency but there needs to be a clear system and also a backup contingency in my view.

If there was an emergency there would be backups.

@sadamson84

Player used to show us the lineups and league table and a few other stats whilst the commentary was going.

Valley pass (for the games that have been commentary only) hasn't shown us anything. Ibknow the old system was provided by the football league but do you have any plans to show lineups/subs/scoreline etc alongside the commentary?

All of that data is supplied by Opta Data. The new site will include Opta Data which shows that, but obviously Opta don't cover pre-season fixtures which is why the Pre-season comms didn't include it.
  • Options

seth plum said:

If there was an emergency there would be backups.

@sadamson84

All of that data is supplied by Opta Data. The new site will include Opta Data which shows that, but obviously Opta don't cover pre-season fixtures which is why the Pre-season comms didn't include it.
    Brilliant thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Are there any plans to put match highlights on YouTube? I notice no match highlights packages have been uploaded at all this summer. And with the exception of the Irish live streams, there's only been one video uploaded in the last three weeks.

Is this a conscious decision to try and get people signing up for Valley Pass? Will be disappointed if the highlights going forward (as well as extra angles and 360 videos etc.) aren't on YouTube a day or two after the end of the match like they have been in previous seasons.