Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham vs Charlton: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Pleased to see Amos settling in - some promising signs in our start.
  • Options

Yes, he was written off ridiculously quickly here
  • Options

Result is soured by Robinson's post match which hints at no incoming striker. That is a piss poor show if it happens.

We've shipped out Igor, Ajose, Twatt. I'm convinced Novak would be out the door if anyone would take him. Mag, Novak and KAG are not the strikers on which to build a promotion campaign.
    Magennis has 2 in 3 league games. I think Novak will be alright this season. Agree re: KAG.

Who do people expect us to have up front now that Zlatan has signed for United?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Result is soured by Robinson's post match which hints at no incoming striker. That is a piss poor show if it happens.

We've shipped out Igor, Ajose, Twatt. I'm convinced Novak would be out the door if anyone would take him. Mag, Novak and KAG are not the strikers on which to build a promotion campaign.
    Magennis has 2 in 3 league games. I think Novak will be alright this season. Agree re: KAG.

Who do people expect us to have up front now that Zlatan has signed for United?
    I agree that we can't sit here and demand Grigg as we are not paying the fee, that's if Wigan would sell. Same applies to Godden and Akinde. Taylor would be a decent loan, but doesn't appear to be available.

I don't agree that Novak will come good for two reasons. Firstly, I think he wants to go and secondly, I don't think he's the sort of striker who can come in occasionally and do well. I think he needs his confidence up and a good run of games. An injury to Magennis permitted (touch wood), he won't get this.

Finding a striker isn't easy but I do think there's options out there, unfortunately I think the chequebook has been put away now and KR will be looking for a loan or two.
  • Options

For me I was very happy with his Bristol Rovers performance yet concerned at how easily he was beaten for the second Plymouth goal.

Against Rotherham he wasnt really tested yet showed his ability to clear the ball (punching) as am already impressed with his catching, his shot stopping is still a small question mark for me because of Plymouth yet against Northampton he's proven he can make some good saves of that ilk.

Ultimately he was the Man Utd third choice 'keeper for a long time which has to mean something!!
  • Options

For me I was very happy with his Bristol Rovers performance yet concerned at how easily he was beaten for the second Plymouth goal.

Against Rotherham he wasnt really tested yet showed his ability to clear the ball (punching) as am already impressed with his catching, his shot stopping is still a small question mark for me because of Plymouth yet against Northampton he's proven he can make some good saves of that ilk.

Ultimately he was the Man Utd third choice 'keeper for a long time which has to mean something!!
    Have only seen him play once and thought he looked very poor so happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Another excellent performance, playing the best passing football since our days riding high in The Prem (albeit against lesser opponents).

Amos is looking strong & confident, Solly was excellent, as was Da Silva.
    Bauer and Pearce were immense. JFC played well and Kashi was decent, but Amos saved him, when he nearly gave away a goal.

Clark tried hard, but his passes went astray today & Fosu had another quiet game. Holmes was his usual good self. Magennis played well and was fit and strong.

We controlled the game, deserved to win and Trevor Kettle was excellent as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I only heard the game on the internet but I'd be interested to know how Amos played and organised his defence. The commentators mentioned his poor comms with his centre halfs, which is something I've also seen in the home games - hesitation and failing to assist the defenders with balls coming back towards goal.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I only heard the game on the internet but I'd be interested to know how Amos played and organised his defence. The commentators mentioned his poor comms with his centre halfs, which is something I've also seen in the home games - hesitation and failing to assist the defenders with balls coming back towards goal.

Amos is improving game by game . Think he will prove to be a good signing. .
  • Options

KR does seems good at assessing talent. Have to give him credit.

I agree, very impressed with his signings with Marshall and Reeves still to come. Only one of the other 4 I was initially happy with was Da Silva. I thought Clarke and Amos would be decent, but Clarke has surprised me and hopefully Amos keeps improving.

Fosu is the find thats for sure. I do think we might be relying on him a little too much at the minute because of lack of cover, obviously that is because Marshall and Reeves aren't fit. Robbo wanted cover but I don't think it will happen.
  • Options
    I think RCC would be adequate cover for Fosu, if not as flamboyant. Also an option for Solly absence but won't raise our average height.
  • Options

Another excellent performance, playing the best passing football since our days riding high in The Prem (albeit against lesser opponents).

Amos is looking strong & confident, Solly was excellent, as was Da Silva.
    Bauer and Pearce were immense. JFC played well and Kashi was decent, but Amos saved him, when he nearly gave away a goal.

Clark tried hard, but his passes went astray today & Fosu had another quiet game. Holmes was his usual good self. Magennis played well and was fit and strong.

We controlled the game, deserved to win and Trevor Kettle was excellent as well.

Trevor Kettle excellent? Blimey!

Can only assume we couldn't string a pass together.

Amos was weak and had no confidence. JFC was shit, as was Kashi.

Clarke put in no effort, although his passes were accurate and Fosu had a lively game. Holmes was unusually poor. Magennis was poor, looked unfit and weak.

Also, Rotherham controlled the game from start to finish...

:-)
  • Options

Pretty much every team have chances. It's all about taking them. Classic example being Plymouth away. They did and on that day we didn't . Sure it's about minimising theirs and maximising your own but on the whole I'm happy that we dominate posession and play attractive football. On that basis week for week the results should take care of themselves. Robinson has us set up to attack and create. It's unlikely in my opinion that this team are ever going to be watertight at the back. We're going to lose games as well as win plenty. Big bonus for me is that we look to be able to stand up to teams when required. Plenty of very big players in this league.

Yes and a win and a defeat is better than 2 draws.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Amos was outstanding. Big, imposing, made some good saves, caught all crosses bar one at the end and one he couldn't catch he punched well out of the penalty box. Some folks would have him as mom.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Just got back.

Still have concerns about JM. I think the 10 behind him are good enough to make a serious challenge for the league but not sure he's up to scoring the goals we'll need. A few times today I saw Holmes seriously frustrated that quality crosses were being put in but no one was there to convert.

I thought just the same at Plymouth. I was behind the goal we were attacking 2nd half & there must have been 3 or 4 balls that came i9nto the box that Big Josh didn't appear to go for at all...I was screaming my head off at him to move and imo he didn't look interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

KR does seems good at assessing talent. Have to give him credit.

I agree, very impressed with his signings with Marshall and Reeves still to come. Only one of the other 4 I was initially happy with was Da Silva. I thought Clarke and Amos would be decent, but Clarke has surprised me and hopefully Amos keeps improving.

Fosu is the find thats for sure. I do think we might be relying on him a little too much at the minute because of lack of cover, obviously that is because Marshall and Reeves aren't fit. Robbo wanted cover but I don't think it will happen.
    I'd like to add JFC to that mix. He looks more consistent and fitter this season, and I think we're only starting to see what he's capable of on the ball. Still think playing alongside Kashi he'll really explode this year.

I was incredibly impressed by Amos yesterday. His coming to claim and punching were excellent. I also think his use of the ball and distribution are underrated. He can get it and give it but away from home a goal to the good he was very clever about looking for a quick ball then taking his time to make sure he didn't put us in dangerous situations at the back. The sign of a real mature goalkeeper.
  • Options
    It is important to keep Josh fit - he is a player that needs to be firing on all cylinders physically, as his strength is an important part of his game. But when he is, he is easily one of the best at this level.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I wasn't at the Rotherham game, but one thing that struck me after the romp against Northampton is that our new-found urgency and energy raises the bar of acceptable performances - at least for the duration of Robinson's tenure. Without raking over the ashes yet again, we have endured some appalling rubbish in recent years: frightened, negative 90 minutes without a shot at goal, and you wondered what the players themselves thought they were doing. We are bound to hit a rocky patch in the months ahead, yet it is surely inconceivable that we could plumb those depths again. I am feeling unusually optimistic - carry on like this, and we'll sail to promotion.
  • Options
    We need to defend a bit higher concede less territory and reduce easy balls into the box (maybe play 3, 2, 4, 1 or just push up)
  • Options

Pretty much every team have chances. It's all about taking them. Classic example being Plymouth away. They did and on that day we didn't . Sure it's about minimising theirs and maximising your own but on the whole I'm happy that we dominate posession and play attractive football. On that basis week for week the results should take care of themselves. Robinson has us set up to attack and create. It's unlikely in my opinion that this team are ever going to be watertight at the back. We're going to lose games as well as win plenty. Big bonus for me is that we look to be able to stand up to teams when required. Plenty of very big players in this league.

Yes and a win and a defeat is better than 2 draws.
    Depends on who got the three points from your loss.
  • Options

1-0 Bauer

2-0 Magennis

Making me miss @plentyofshots what happened to him?
  • Options

I wasn't at the Rotherham game, but one thing that struck me after the romp against Northampton is that our new-found urgency and energy raises the bar of acceptable performances - at least for the duration of Robinson's tenure. Without raking over the ashes yet again, we have endured some appalling rubbish in recent years: frightened, negative 90 minutes without a shot at goal, and you wondered what the players themselves thought they were doing. We are bound to hit a rocky patch in the months ahead, yet it is surely inconceivable that we could plumb those depths again. I am feeling unusually optimistic - carry on like this, and we'll sail to promotion.

As soon as we lose 1 game it'll be all negative again from you.
  • Options
    Lots of Robinsons, didn't see a Gobbinson.

@jamescafc Josh Mag was really sick apparently, and with Novak actually vomiting in the changing room didn't have any choice but play.
  • Options

1-0 Bauer

2-0 Magennis

Making me miss @plentyofshots what happened to him?
    Site got taken down & Twitter account got suspended. EFL are v hot on copyright and I didn't want to risk it.