Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

19899100101102104»

Comments

• RedPanda said:
    It's sounding like over 6000 went to Bushy's 1000th event today. Apparently they ran out of tokens and had to start writing numbers on people's arms.

I was at Brockwell thankfully. I did Greenpoint in Cape Town last week, some of the trail running in Cape Town is mental compared to ours (scrambling, ladders, jumping into pools).
    Wow, that’s like 4 times more than when I went there!
    I did Burgess Park today, much quieter…
  • RedPanda said:
    It's sounding like over 6000 went to Bushy's 1000th event today. Apparently they ran out of tokens and had to start writing numbers on people's arms.

I was at Brockwell thankfully. I did Greenpoint in Cape Town last week, some of the trail running in Cape Town is mental compared to ours (scrambling, ladders, jumping into pools).
    Green Point must be pretty spectacular for doing a run. 
  • Bushy Park was a little busy today, queued for about 20 mins to get across the line, finally got out of the funnel around 11:20.
  • edited August 31
    RedPanda said:

Green Point must be pretty spectacular for doing a run. 
    Yeah it's a lovely park and has a lot of money invested into it, plus it has warning signs for wild otters  B)

I wanted to try run up nearby Signal Hill (the one top left of the wheel) but I heard too many scare stories about muggings. 

Bushy have confirmed over 6k. Apparently 2000 of those have to be manually input and uploaded so no official numbers yet.
  • I did Bexley parkrun today, slightly less than Bushy, only 299 of us and wasn't overtaken by someone pushing a bored child in a buggy, an elderly person or someone with acute arthritis. Which is always a bonus.   
    No parkrun for the next couple of weeks. Planning to make my next appearance at Harrow, hope the locals are friendly.     
  • I did Bexley parkrun today, slightly less than Bushy, only 299 of us and wasn't overtaken by someone pushing a bored child in a buggy, an elderly person or someone with acute arthritis. .     
    I did Avery Hill and was overtaken by all three :-( 
  • nice to see a few Charlton shirts (4) at the Bromley junior park run at Norman park this morning. 
  • edited September 1
    6000+ people at Bushy is insane? Makes me wonder what the record is for the most Parkruns completed by one runner at one event. 

I ran The Plens at Desborough for the third time (event No 7) I see someone has described the course as if it's been designed by someone who threw a ball of string on floor and went with the result. 🤣

A modest 151 finished this week. I find it tough going. Mostly cross country.There are no really easy bits. Definitely not a PB course, but a good challenge.
  • I did Bexley parkrun today, slightly less than Bushy, only 299 of us and wasn't overtaken by someone pushing a bored child in a buggy, an elderly person or someone with acute arthritis. Which is always a bonus.   
    No parkrun for the next couple of weeks. Planning to make my next appearance at Harrow, hope the locals are friendly.     
    I went last week, the Harrow locals are very friendly. 

Rather than Bushy I went to its neighbour, Kingston - very funny and sweary first-timers' briefing, very enjoyable run along down the Thames past Teddington Lock and back again. They usually get about 300 but had two-thirds that and struggled for volunteers because of the Bushy madness just across the river. 

Watched about an hour of the Big Half from the top of Deptford High Street - it was a real sun trap by the time I got there, a few people clearly struggling. If you were the guy I yelled at in the Charlton baseball cap who was strolling it rather than running - you made the right choice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Awesome time mate, well done 
  • Looks like I'm on for Hastings on Saturday, assuming I can run it, drive back to our accommodation eight miles away, get showered and changed and check out by 10.00am. Hmmm  🤔.  I may need to PB, but it's too good an opportunity to miss, or so I keep telling Mrs Swordfish, who may be forced to vacate the premises before I get back if I'm not on form. I may have to make it up to her later. I'll certainly have to do all the driving on the way home, sweaty or not 🤣
  • https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/motivation/a62053741/sophie-raworth-parkrun/

The full story of how it all started is quite remarkable. If you don't already know, well worth a read.
  • swordfish said:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/motivation/a62053741/sophie-raworth-parkrun/

The full story of how it all started is quite remarkable. If you don't already know, well worth a read.
    The first time I did Fulham Palace Parkrun Sophie was running it with, I guess, her daughter…
  • Plan was to do Squerryes Winery, but due to an M25 mishap ended up back at Riddlesdown again.

Discovered after that the run director was the first person to claim a V1000 t-shirt for volunteering a thousand times (she certainly knows what she's doing - was called in to help with the Bushy madness last week). 
  • Big plans last night to drive out to Sloff to get a “U” for the alphabet challenge but i was really lethargic and uninterested this morning so just trudged around Clapham instead….
    Lovely day for it though
  • edited September 14
    Went to Roundshaw Downs, down by the Purley Way - not a PB course, but a straightforward one and a stunning day for it. Only nine left to do in London now.

Popped into the Costa in the retail park opposite, and saw some men in Leicester City gear sitting outside. One looked a bit familiar but I couldn't place the face or why they had the Leicester gear. 

Walked inside and remembered Leicester were playing Palace, so decided I'd wish them good luck on the way out. They left before I got the chance, though, but then I twigged who the familiar face was - it was Steve Cooper and his backroom team having a coffee before setting off from their hotel in the old Croydon Airport.

• edited September 14
    I was at Roundshaw today too, if you saw someone in a Denver Nuggets vest that was me. It's top 3 for longest walks between toilets and the start.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:
    I was at Roundshaw today too, if you saw someone in a Denver Nuggets vest that was me. It's top 3 for longest walks between toilets and the start.
    ha, I think I saw you! I had the Altona top on with the Hamburg S-Bahn sponsorship, the run director bounded up to me thinking I'd come from Germany.  

A few ankle-twisters there, but I really enjoyed it. Some cracking views from the far field. I hate to think where the official toilets would be!
  • My son (12) completed his 50th today in Lancing. He’s really caught the bug - very proud of him. We plan to do Charlton before an early kickoff this season.