Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• London rejection emails go out today, good luck all. @CAFCTrust I'm always keen to run for you guys !.
  • The annual rejection email is always a welcome addition to my inbox. Got mine earlier. 
  • Yep rejected for about the 10th plus year in a row. Look forward to being on the sidelines cheering on the same people in their 28th London marathon…
  • edited June 26
    I need the rejection so that the Charities start replying! 
  • me neither. Probably for the best!
  • I got in!

... To the Battersea Park marathon, I'd been waiting for football fixtures before booking. That's in November if anyone's interested, and pancake flat. 

Then I got rejected by London.

• 11th rejection in a row for me. Got to love their consistency.
  • I know it's for data harvesting purposes, but they would probably have 50% of the entries if the application went up a month after the run... rather than when millions have just watched it on TV. Those unclaimed spots dont go back into the average joe allocation 
  • If you join a running club that’s the best way to get in, that’s how I got my marathon spot a few years ago
  • Provisions to running clubs have been heavily reduced in recent years. 

the 2024 event we are reducing the total number of entries allocated to clubs to 1,515. 

For the 2024 TCS London Marathon, the club guaranteed entries will be allocated as follows: 

•  Clubs with fewer than 10 first-claim members no longer qualify for a guaranteed entry in the TCS London Marathon 
    • Clubs with between 10-39 affiliated members (currently 456 clubs) will be placed in a ballot that will allocate 228 entries, meaning that at least half the clubs will be allocated one entry each 
    •  Clubs with between 40-189 members will be allocated one guaranteed entry each 
    • Clubs with more than 190 members will be allocated two guaranteed entries each
  • Sponsored links:

• Your best bet is flying to another country 2 days before the event and booking a package with the hundreds of overseas tour operators that get allocated tickets 
  • Your best bet is flying to another country 2 days before the event and booking a package with the hundreds of overseas tour operators that get allocated tickets 
    I say hundreds, 107 official overseas tour operators. Love to know the total number of tickets they potentially have access to 
  • Exciting news from where I am near  Kettering. We're getting a half marathon next year in March, starting and finishing at Wickstead Park. Offering a10k option too, so I can't decline both 

https://www.ketteringtowncouncil.gov.uk/half-marathon
  • Hi everyone, doing Avery Hill tomorrow, any ideas where to park up?
  • edited June 28
    I believe you can park in the main car park off the entrance on Bexley Road, however I always park in a bay by the side of the park on Avery Hill Road or failing that down Restons Crescent / Anstridge Road. Parking is never really a problem as people come from all directions.

Good luck, I can’t be there tomorrow otherwise I’d say hello. AFKA Junior will be running though. 

You all meet by the cafe and the start is about 50 metres away. It’s pacer week there tomorrow 
  • Afka, just saw your DM, thank you for posting this for me👍
  • Right across the other side of London to Bedfont Lakes this morning - I wasn't expecting much for somewhere so close to Heathrow but it's a great and surprisingly quiet country park. Surprisingly hot too!
  • Did you go @StanTheMan ? How did you find it?

My son got his first top 10 placing and was over the moon with that. 
  • First time out running with Danson Runners club last night. Always been a solo runner so a bit different for me going with others. Good to work off the pace of the people around you and everyone there very friendly and sociable. Really enjoyed it overall. Anyone else do club running?
  • Sponsored links:

• I joined Central Park Athletics 18 months ago, I mostly do interval work. 

It certainly helps push you on at the end of an hour's training, plus I can gauge myself against people who are slightly slower or quicker than me. 

Their pavilion is being upgraded this year to include a 60m indoor track, which is a big project. It should come with some of the nicest parkrun facilities around too.
  • First time out running with Danson Runners club last night. Always been a solo runner so a bit different for me going with others. Good to work off the pace of the people around you and everyone there very friendly and sociable. Really enjoyed it overall. Anyone else do club running?
    I joined Istead and ifield a couple of years back. My running is gradually improving and it is nice to get back to racing with a club vest on. Even thinking about a return to the running track again next year.
  • AFKA, I certainly got round in one piece, was a very warm day, I went as our friends have a memorial bench with a plaque, so just pleased to get this one under my belt! I total 144, will be back at Leybourne this week for a nice flat one! Pleased your lad had a fantastic 👍top 10
  • WSS said:
    DNF’d on Thursday at the UTMB event in the Pyrenees.

51km in the mountains, with 3000m+ of elevation up and down boulders is harder than laps of Avery Hill, who knew.

Managed to finish a marathon but threw
    everything up that was left in me at the last checkpoint and had no chance of doing the last and most challenging summit.
    Superb effort. I have recently finished reading ‘the rise of the ultra runners’ and the way that describes the mental and physical toll of such events is amazing. 

To get that far is a great achievement. 
  • did some tourism at Dartford today, saw a couple of Charlton shirts there
  • did some tourism at Dartford today, saw a couple of Charlton shirts there
    I was there too! 
  • Hilly Fields for me today - I can feel it in my legs already!
  • If anyone is planning to visit Shorne Woods on Saturday, access via Cobham is not possible as The Street in the village is closed for up to 7 days due to a hole appearing in the road.