Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Hex said:
    If anyone is planning to visit Shorne Woods on Saturday, access via Cobham is not possible as The Street in the village is closed for up to 7 days due to a hole appearing in the road.
    Whilst the police look into it? 
  • Thinking about doing Victoria Dock tomorrow via the cable car. Need to drive though so was wondering if anyone has any parking tips? Looks like it's £7 at the O2 but was wondering about the retail carparks on the way into the peninsular. Used to be able to park for free for 3 hours I think so would be ok if I get there at 8.
  • swordfish said:
    Hex said:
    If anyone is planning to visit Shorne Woods on Saturday, access via Cobham is not possible as The Street in the village is closed for up to 7 days due to a hole appearing in the road.
    Whilst the police look into it? 
    Southern Water got there first and completed the 'hole' job !  Road is open again.
  • Nonsuch for me today, caught the end of Flant day, all the chewing and spitting slowed me down I swear…
  • Back at Charlton yesterday -  a number crowd of 236, and back at Hilly Fields on Saturday. 
  • Thinking about doing Victoria Dock tomorrow via the cable car. Need to drive though so was wondering if anyone has any parking tips? Looks like it's £7 at the O2 but was wondering about the retail carparks on the way into the peninsular. Used to be able to park for free for 3 hours I think so would be ok if I get there at 8.
    Bit late now, but Tesco Woolwich has three hours' free parking - then get the Elizabeth Line to Custom House and walk it from there. 
    Bit late now, but Tesco Woolwich has three hours' free parking - then get the Elizabeth Line to Custom House and walk it from there. 
    Thanks Inspector, sound advice. Ended up going to Valentines instead but will definitely use the Tesco carpark when we do Victoria Dock. Have used it before for the Woolwich  parkrun so all good. 
  • 4 of us applied for the London Landmarks half marathon. All 4 of us unsuccessful through the 1st and 2nd ballot.

We can, of course, take up places with their charity partner for a minimum pledge of £350…
  • So today was an inaugural event. No 1 at The Plens in Desborough. My 50th "Tourist" destination, but closest to my house (10 minutes walk away) 🤣 Mostly cross country, it's an absolute b
  • Sponsored links:

• 4 of us applied for the London Landmarks half marathon. All 4 of us unsuccessful through the 1st and 2nd ballot.

We can, of course, take up places with their charity partner for a minimum pledge of £350…
    Tried last 3 years to get a spot in this one and no joy. Sure these events are getting harder to get a place unless it's for a charity.

Did my first Parkrun for 19 months at Bexley. 62nd out of 347 so not too bad but miles off my best time and no idea how I'd ever get near it again!
  • edited July 20
    I'm still struggling with my running. Had my cardioversion back in May and hoped that would be that and I'd start to regain some fitness but it's not happening. Had a dose of Covid at the start of June, which hasn't helped, but I've just not been able to get back into it.

Currently sitting here wearing a heart monitor I have to keep on for 24 hours a day for a week as there's a suspicion I may be slipping in and out of Atrial Fibrillation. So bloody frustrating! 
  • Morden Park today for me…
  • I finally ran Morden Park today after volunteering for the first three weeks. How did you like the course?
  • I'm still struggling with my running. Had my cardioversion back in May and hoped that would be that and I'd start to regain some fitness but it's not happening. Had a dose of Covid at the start of June, which hasn't helped, but I've just not been able to get back into it.

Currently sitting here wearing a heart monitor I have to keep on for 24 hours a day for a week as there's a suspicion I may be slipping in and out of Atrial Fibrillation. So bloody frustrating! 
    Sorry to hear that BA. I hope you get the all clear and can get back into it.

I've been struggling with my running most of this year, but have been cleared of it being a problem with my lungs, or anything else for that matter. Probably just age and not doing enough these days, so I'm going to enter a half next March and get back into proper training over winter to force myself. I've come to terms with my level not being what it once was, and I may need to invest in a knee brace. Anyone got any recommendations? 
  • Hilly Fields this morning to mark a couple of well-earned 500s and a 50. Could have done without the sun coming out for the final lap!
  • I finally ran Morden Park today after volunteering for the first three weeks. How did you like the course?
    Yeah it was all good although I'm not a fan of hills, they make my fat arse go even slower.  It's a good little spot for the pre match briefings isn't it.
    You're still in the bad books for not tipping off about event#1 ;)
    Did they mention another new park run starting up somewhere else down that way, somewhere like Benenden it sounded like??
  • Beddington
  • There was a lot of locals against the Parkrun, so they wanted to start small not to upset too many people.
  • Beddington
    Like Croydon?
  • Sponsored links:

• It says Sutton but certainly near Croydon.
  • Did the new one in Lewes on Saturday - nice course around a small park and then up to a disused railway line path in the trees. Turn around and repeat.

Lots of space at the start and only issue is it's muddy and slippery on the railway part, so had to slow down at points as runners were coming back down the same path and we were all trying to avoid the mud. Not a big issue but trail shoes definitely recommended.

Lovely volunteers as always and the cafe next to the start serves beer from 9.30! Planning to do it again this coming Saturday.
  • shine166 said:
    Just been offered a charity place for London, absolutely buzzing.
    Had it confirmed yesterday that I've got a place running it for Great Ormond Street. Very happy.
    Ah congrats !
  • Im running for Orchard Vale trust, very small charity that has a home for adults with learning difficulties, think there are only 6 of us running.
  • Did Ally Pally today, all that trek there and then had to do the winter course due to standing water and mud, no glorious views of London today then but it was gorgeous morning for it
  • edited July 27
    ^That's surprising.

We went to Crystal Palace, which is a begrudgingly nice park. Just saw the one goon in Crystal Palace kit from head to toe.
  • Was scorchio this morning 
  • Scorchio over at Pymmes parkrun, which is in Edmonton next to the North Circular Road. It's basically a scruffier Charlton parkrun.
  • Volunteered at a junior one this beautiful morning so it is a shame the app is down and I can’t see confirmation of my newly fitted halo…