Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Fulham Palace today because of a miscalculation in how long it would’ve taken to get to Gunnersbury, oops. 
    Least slowest time for ages although that doesn’t show by their timings but I trust my watch more….
  • 284 of us at Avery Hill for another dry run. After a very unhealthy week at Butlins was just grateful to get round without walking. Slowest for 3 months though. 
  • swordfish said:
    Did my 249th in Groningen on Monday - an extra for the Dutch Whit Monday/Pinksterdag holiday - which was great. Only a handful of tourists (I wanted to avoid the mass parkrun tourist invasions you get on those days) and some very friendly locals. 

So that means (drumroll)... I did my 250th at Hilly Fields yesterday.

Really good to be back to where it all began for me back in October 2016 - and barely believable that I've not only done a Saturday 5k 250 times, but that I've managed to get up on time to do them... hopefully I'll be back there in 2029 for my 500th (and a few more times in between).
    Pleased for you, but a bit envious too. I started my Parkrun journey in 2016 too and should have got to 250 by now, but I dallied too long post covid in getting back into it. Seldom miss a week now but 20 short at the moment and 5 short of 50 different courses. Working to a plan to hit both targets later this year though. 

Well done and I admire your ambition going forward. I don't like the sound of "Hilly Fields" though! 😟
    It's bit odd for me because that's where I started, but you just get used to the rhythm of the hills there - I think about half the people doing it will walk bits to catch some breath. And the downhills are your reward.

A bang-average 34.55 at Charlton today, just missing my stopwatch bingo by a second. D'oh! Back to the touristing next week, probably.

• Got to Gunnersbury today so that’s a G, nice run, but slower than last week but I did feel done in and more washed up than normal…
  • Fumbluff said:
    Got to Gunnersbury today so that’s a G, nice run, but slower than last week but I did feel done in and more washed up than normal…
    There's Gunpowder near Waltham Abbey for another. That's where you explode out of the blocks 🙄

Wimpole Estate in Cambridgeshire for me today, at my limit about 50 miles away, an hours drive from home. NENDY"s getting increasing more time consuming to tick off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great running @kigelia

• Not sure how you @InspectorSands and others manage to get yourselves up and out so early on a Sat morning to make tourist trips!  I find it a massive effort to get out by 8.30, why I’ve never ventured too far 
  • Took my eldest to his first junior Parkrun this morning, came in 3rd and sub 10 minutes, now to fit it round his football 
  • A chunky 35:31 at a busy and fairly congested Tooting Common parkrun. There were 707 people there and it's quite a narrow course in parts. I enjoyed it but it really does depend on people not acting like dicks (which has happened in the past, I gather).

That's 46 London runs out of (a current) 62 done. 

Then did the Victoria Park RunThrough 5k this morning in 33:45.
    You should do it in the wet, it’s 3 lovely swims around that back part!
  • Fumbluff said:
    A chunky 35:31 at a busy and fairly congested Tooting Common parkrun. There were 707 people there and it's quite a narrow course in parts. I enjoyed it but it really does depend on people not acting like dicks (which has happened in the past, I gather).

That's 46 London runs out of (a current) 62 done. 

Then did the Victoria Park RunThrough 5k this morning in 33:45.
    You should do it in the wet, it’s 3 lovely swims around that back part!
    I saw a photo of that, it must have been interesting there a couple of months back!

Not sure how you @InspectorSands and others manage to get yourselves up and out so early on a Sat morning to make tourist trips!  I find it a massive effort to get out by 8.30, why I’ve never ventured too far 
    I'm trying to get as many in during the summer as I can! Come winter I'll probably be struggling to do it...
  • edited June 13
    284 of us at Avery Hill for another dry run. After a very unhealthy week at Butlins was just grateful to get round without walking. Slowest for 3 months though. 

That's amazing @AFKABartram, me and Mrs MAM help set that one up back in the day and we were lucky to get 25/30 for a while.  We were 'helped' by a few of the academy players from the club but their hearts weren't really in it but there was another fella called Colin, can't remembers his surname who took control of things for a few years wonder if he's still there.  Janet Ley and Linda Boscic were names from the past and I know they are still running there.
  • edited June 12
    apologies if this has been asked before. But. Why is there not a park run in Greenwich park? The Greenwich one seems to be in Avery hill. 
  • apologies if this has been asked before. But. Why is there not a park run in Greenwich park? The Greenwich one seems to be in Avery hill. 
    One at Charlton Park as well. 

Parkrun and the royal parks have a difficult relationship 
  • Did the Parkrun at Sutliffe Park ever get off the ground? I know there were a few difficulties in the route with width restrictions etc.  Seemed an ideal place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sutcliffe Park is up to 148 runs now
  • That’s interesting to hear @man_at_milletts

There’s been 691 Greenwich Parkruns at Avery Hill now since it started in 2010. The most popular time there was pre-Covid 2019 when it would regularly get 300-500 each week. Since the post-Covid restart the numbers haven’t really got back to that as there are now additional Parkruns at Sutcliffe Park, Charlton Park and Woolwich (Thames Path).  

Avery Hill routinely now gets 200-300 each week with around 30 volunteers making it happen. 14,001 individuals have run at Avery Hill and 1,030 have volunteered. 
  • edited June 13
    I just logged into my Parkrun account. 59 runs in total at Bromley(2) and Avery Hill Park(57) best time 27.03 - I was aged 51 then. 3 x Photographer 3 x Timekeeper 5 x Barcode Scanning and 4 x Handing out finish tokens. I feel the urge to get a new pair of running shoes. I do recall getting a shirt for the 50th run.
  • I’m currently on 92 (90 at Avery Hill) and genuinely excited all being well I'll get to 100 in the next few months. 

Dust those shoes off! 
  • I’m currently on 92 (90 at Avery Hill) and genuinely excited all being well I'll get to 100 in the next few months. 

Dust those shoes off! 

Walmer and Deal is the nearest to us, along the seafront too :)

Dust those shoes off! 
    I was hoping to hit 100 this year but I fear I’ll miss the cut, I think there are 30 left if you include Xmas day, I miss 2 for holiday so need to get 20 more from 28 to make it…
  • You can do Parkrun on holiday 😊😊

Dust those shoes off! 
    I’ll race you !   I’m on 89.
  • You can do Parkrun on holiday 😊😊
    I can’t…I did check that…
  • apologies if this has been asked before. But. Why is there not a park run in Greenwich park? The Greenwich one seems to be in Avery hill. 
    I don't think anyone's ever tried to organise one before, quite simply. There are parkruns in other Royal Parks - Bushy Park (the first one) and Richmond Park - but they go back to the early years of parkrun. Since then Royal Parks has been spun off into a charity and I think they'd prefer to host events that make money - RunThrough do occasional 5 and 10ks in Greenwich Park, for example, at about £25 a pop.

Their official line is they'll consider proposals but I doubt they'd go very far these days - otherwise they'd be all over the Royal Parks by now. 

The "Greenwich parkrun" name goes back to when there were very few events and I think they imagined it'd be one per borough. Parkrun HQ has been quietly renaming some events over the past few years so they better fit the immediate locality - Maidstone parkrun was very recently renamed Maidstone River Park, for example.  I'm surprised they haven't changed the name of the one in Avery Hill Park since there are now at least five parkruns south of the river that are all closer to Greenwich itself. And a lot of parkrun tourists might fancy bagging an "A" too...