Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Missed yesterday to play dogsh*t golf instead and regretted it immediately. Son, niece and her fella all smashed their PBs so was pleased for them 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations for half marathons in Kent/South East? Looking at July time onwards. Know the Dartford Half has been moved to September which is handy albeit a couple of weeks after the Big Half. Also like the look of the Maidstone Half. Prefence is to do ones which aren't laps of a set course which rules out a lot of the RunThrough events.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Missed last weekend after having Covid, back at it yesterday at Oak Hill, over in East Barnet - very nice undulating course in a very nice park. 42 London parkruns done, (at least) 20 to go…
    I went to see one of my regulars yesterday. 
    I thought I was doing well at 13….
    That's still pretty decent!

There are at least three more planned to start in London at some point (Battersea Park, Morden Hall Park, Beddington Park) soon so the target's going to get bigger as time goes on.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Missed last weekend after having Covid, back at it yesterday at Oak Hill, over in East Barnet - very nice undulating course in a very nice park. 42 London parkruns done, (at least) 20 to go…
    I went to see one of my regulars yesterday. 
    I thought I was doing well at 13….
    That's still pretty decent!

There are at least three more planned to start in London at some point (Battersea Park, Morden Hall Park, Beddington Park) soon so the target's going to get bigger as time goes on.
    I knew Battersea was coming soon but hadn’t heard about the others, all pretty close to me though so they’ll be easy to do…
  • Options
    It's the 500th parkrun at Shorne Woods tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Just to mention it’s Morden Park for the new parkrun soon, not Morden Hall Park.
  • Options
    Watermead County Park (just NE of Leicester) nice flat run round lakes on tarmac. Good for PB's (shame I'm in PW form) Been my NENDY for an annoyingly long time, so good to finally get it done.
  • Options
    Just to mention it’s Morden Park for the new parkrun soon, not Morden Hall Park.
    Ah-ha! That makes more sense as I heard the council were involved and the other place is National Trust. Hope they can get that started soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to north London today for Grovelands - three laps round a lovely park with a big lake and an annoying uphill bit. 
  • Options
    Back to north London today for Grovelands - three laps round a lovely park with a big lake and an annoying uphill bit. 
    Did it last week, lovely park 
  • Options
    The seven-year-old came 8th in Junior ParkRun in Eltham today, smashing the 2km in 10 minutes, running alone for the first time with me watching on. Was completely shocked and a tiny bit emotional.

It also obviously shows my "coaching" is awful.
  • Options
    Crane Park today, very nice and I should know as I spent about twice as much time there as everybody else 😬
  • Options
    There's nothing quite like a bit of Parkrun tourism, and feeling lazy, today was nothing like it for me as did my 56th run at Wicky's.  You can call it that when you've run it more than 50 times 😉(Kettering, Wicksteed Park) 
  • Options
    Nice to see people out running. Those cold and wet miles are now being rewarded with better weather.

i did a few mile around the cliffs and beaches of jersey in the week and then a tough 10 miles this morning. Now got an 8 week lead up to a tough half marathon on the Isle of Wight. Will also do the darent valley 10k in mid may.
  • Options
    Back at Charlton yesterday for a solid 33:42 - a couple of weeks of touristing coming up...
  • Options
    All signed up for the Porto Marathon in November, my second marathon with the aim of beating my previous time. Went for a 10 mile run yesterday as my first long run in training which was really tough, looking forward to the journey!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    All signed up for the Porto Marathon in November, my second marathon with the aim of beating my previous time. Went for a 10 mile run yesterday as my first long run in training which was really tough, looking forward to the journey!
    I'm interested to hear about this when you do it, Follett.  It's been 11 years since my last marathon - only ever did 2. It was NYC and lots of fun, but I now want to do a smaller scale marathon in a European city.  I really liked Porto when we visited a few years back and like the idea of combining race with something cultural!  Florence is another possibility - I recall somebody on CL did that previously.  My only issue will be training here in the heat/humidity of  August/September - which is pretty brutal and is the reason I haven't been so keen to add to my tally of 26.2s!
  • Options
    follett said:
    I'm interested to hear about this when you do it, Follett.  It's been 11 years since my last marathon - only ever did 2. It was NYC and lots of fun, but I now want to do a smaller scale marathon in a European city.  I really liked Porto when we visited a few years back and like the idea of combining race with something cultural!  Florence is another possibility - I recall somebody on CL did that previously.  My only issue will be training here in the heat/humidity of  August/September - which is pretty brutal and is the reason I haven't been so keen to add to my tally of 26.2s!
    Will keep you posted. I went to Porto a few years back and fell in love with the city. I was looking for a November marathon as I have to sit exams for work and November seemed nicely timed so it wouldn't interfere too much. When I saw Porto I couldn't resist doubling it up with a trip there. Yes I will never truly understand how people in hot countries train for a marathon. I ran London when it was moved to October and running in the UK summer heat was challenging enough
  • Options
    follett said:
    follett said:
    Will keep you posted. I went to Porto a few years back and fell in love with the city. I was looking for a November marathon as I have to sit exams for work and November seemed nicely timed so it wouldn't interfere too much. When I saw Porto I couldn't resist doubling it up with a trip there. Yes I will never truly understand how people in hot countries train for a marathon. I ran London when it was moved to October and running in the UK summer heat was challenging enough
    I think climate is something you can become used to and the reverse is also true.  I heard someone saying how, after living in London for 10 years, they didn't like the hot weather.  This despite coming from Florida.
  • Options
    Beware, it's cold out there this morning !  4.7C but add in a cool -3C wind chill.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Ran Leamington today. A pleasant one lapper skirting the edge of a golf course, but I was running way below par today. 😟
  • Options
    Backs of my legs can confirm and will remind me for the next few days that Hampstead Heath is rather hilly…
  • Options
    Very best of luck tomorrow @GoldthorpesHeel
  • Options
    Good luck to anyone running today, I'm back in the hat for 2025 and would still love to run for the trust or upbeats if a option comes up nect year 🙌
  • Options
    Apols for this opportunistic post. Will be dragging my soon to be 67 year old frame around London for the fifth (and undoubtedly slowest) time, this time raising funds on behalf of Alzheimer's Research UK. The photo shows my mum (centre) and her sister Brenda (right) at Wembley in 1947. Sadly we lost both to dementia. Should you like to make a donation, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/keithpullenlondon2024
    Hope you did well! That's got to be outside the old Lewis Coaches office on Blackwall Lane, surely? Looks like the Greenwich Granada cinema (later bingo hall, Stars nightclub in the 90s, now flats) in the background.