Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    It might have been trapped wind @kigelia  :-)

on a serious note, I cannot recommend anything more for mental health than running / exercise 

Probably- I did get a lot of liquorice for Christmas that I am working my way through.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/68239218

Personally I’m not fast but as a new Park Runner this is a non issue. I enjoy reading about fastest times and don’t find it remotely off putting. I doubt very much that this will influence new people attending.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    We did Aachener Weiher in Cologne today, coincidentally during carnival weekend. So the RD was boozing before 9 and was giving out beers before, during and after the run. I got beaten by someone who stopped twice between laps for beer! I'm not sure we'll be getting our results today...
    That sounds like great fun.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/68239218

Personally I’m not fast but as a new Park Runner this is a non issue. I enjoy reading about fastest times and don’t find it remotely off putting. I doubt very much that this will influence new people attending.
    Apparently it all kicked off on my local parkrun Facebook page (so glad I'm not on Facebook) but agree it's such a non issue for most
  • Options
    Didn’t go - overslept after a mad busy week- Did two 5kms Monday & Wednesday 

A mate who ran Mote Park said there were Police on hand and that the briefing advised runners not get involved in any “nastiness” . Not quite sure what that’s was about!
  • Options
    Our was cancelled due to flooding. wanted to go for a run this afternoon but it's pissing down. Will need to sneak some exercise in some other way. Tried a Joe wicks YouTube video a few weeks ago and it nealy killed me
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited February 11
    IAgree said:n
    Didn’t go - overslept after a mad busy week- Did two 5kms Monday & Wednesday 

A mate who ran Mote Park said there were Police on hand and that the briefing advised runners not get involved in any “nastiness” . Not quite sure what that’s was about!
    Heard the Istead ‘mob’ were intending to be there in numbers today ;-) …. but half of them went to the wrong Maidstone event.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    We did Aachener Weiher in Cologne today, coincidentally during carnival weekend. So the RD was boozing before 9 and was giving out beers before, during and after the run. I got beaten by someone who stopped twice between laps for beer! I'm not sure we'll be getting our results today...
    They're a great crowd at Aachener Weiher - did you go to the cafe after? It's in a petrol station, which is a bit odd, but very welcoming (the owner's dog will plonk himself on your lap).
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    They're a great crowd at Aachener Weiher - did you go to the cafe after? It's in a petrol station, which is a bit odd, but very welcoming (the owner's dog will plonk himself on your lap).
    No unfortunately we had to rush off. I didn't know carnival is such a big deal in Cologne, it's like their October Fest. Good to reason to visit Koln and combine a parkrun and football. 
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Deleted as saw separate thread
  • Options
    Big CL round of applause to @WSS who ran the Barcelona half marathon today in a hugely impressive 90 mins. Awesome running 👏👏
    I saw that. Impressive time and a big PB. Well done.
  • Options
    Wow, that is impressive, bravo, bravo!
  • Options
    Just read the earlier, what is all the argie bargie all about, can't believe some people are ruining such a wonderful event. Hope this doesn't spread to my local at Leybourne or Shorne! Bring back flogging and the stocks 🙂
  • Options
    Just read the earlier, what is all the argie bargie all about, can't believe some people are ruining such a wonderful event. Hope this doesn't spread to my local at Leybourne or Shorne! Bring back flogging and the stocks 🙂
    Still none the wiser “nastiness” was 😂 
  • Options
    Anyone planning to do The Big Half? (Sunday September 1st)

I started running last year and have only done 10Ks. Targeting to do a half marathon this year, just before I turn 50. Nice little present for myself? Maybe not.

Flying over the day before and hope to see a home game Saturday. (Or Barnet away, the way our season is headed)

Anyway, nice to know if any fellow Charlton Lifers will participate.
  • Options
    Potentially will be running it.

The Big Half is a great race, basically a reverse of the first half of the London Marathon. Decent crowds, good landmarks and a good vibe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Potentially will be running it.

The Big Half is a great race, basically a reverse of the first half of the London Marathon. Decent crowds, good landmarks and a good vibe.
    Seconded. It's a really good run. Unfortunately usually coincides when I'm either holiday or just back from one and in no fit state to run over 13 miles!
  • Options
    Anyone get a place in The royal parks half? I was fortunate to win a place. Ran it a couple
    of years ago. Quite a nice course
  • Options
    Really looking forward to this morning. Have only ever Parkrun on my own but I’ve got one of my 13yr olds doing his first and my niece her first too. 
    If you get good at dragging them around then let me know and you can drag me too…a consecutive PW for me today 😬
  • Options
    Did Exeter Riverside PR this morning.  Total mudbath for over a mile of course.  One guy's shoe came off in mud. Not encountered conditions like that before. Good fun though.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Really looking forward to this morning. Have only ever Parkrun on my own but I’ve got one of my 13yr olds doing his first and my niece her first too. 
    If you get good at dragging them around then let me know and you can drag me too…a consecutive PW for me today 😬
    Dragging them around? He left me at halfway and finished 2 1/2 minutes and 50 places in front of me! out of 4 of us I was to backmarker 🙈

He’d only ran his first 5k on Wednesday and I was expecting him to stop and walk tbh. Didn’t expect him to leave me to dust. 

Got smashed at ten pin bowling yesterday and running today. Pecking order shifts have been swift and brutal. 
    You are not alone, my 12 yr old leaves me for dead after about 2.5km too. I still pretend I let him win on purpose. Little does he know! 
  • Options
    Hitched a lift to Malling parkrun on Saturday - really good two-lapper around a lake off the M20. Shame the weather was a bit crap, I imagine it's heaving on sunny days. 

I also finally got back to doing the RunThrough midweek races last week - notched up my fastest 5k since July around the Olympic Park.
  • Options
    Was a tad wet and slippery in places at Malling on Saturday, will try Tonbridge hopefully in the next few weeks IS your right its a good venue!
  • Options
    Has anyone got any recommendations for running shoes? It's about time I got a new pair