Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Happy new year to all you runners

Managed to drag myself out after a late night and sore throat. 170 of us round a muddy and windy Avery Hill park.

Managed just 65 runs (12 Parkruns) in 2023 and determined to do better with that this year.

Who was where this morning?
    Set off for Wicksteed Park (Kettering Parkrun), but needed a bigger boat as it resembled a water park. It was cancelled, and should have been yesterday, not at 8.05am this morning!!!! Not impressed. So it was a quick dash over to Brixworth Country Park for a reservoir slog, where water is more the norm (Pitsford Reservoir, Northamptonshire) another one local to me. Glorious weather for it. 
  • Options
    I went to Canterbury. It's okay, couple laps around fields plus a few hills.

If anyone is PB-fit, Bromley has pacers Saturday & is one of the fastest parkruns around. 
  • Options
    Happy New Year fellow 'runners'.

Shorne as usual for me this morning with Mrs Hex and her sister from Wycombe Waddlers territory.  There was water today where I've not seen it before but getting back to fitness is holding me back - that's the best excuse I can come up with !
  • Options
    Happy new year to all you runners

Managed to drag myself out after a late night and sore throat. 170 of us round a muddy and windy Avery Hill park.

Managed just 65 runs (12 Parkruns) in 2023 and determined to do better with that this year.

Who was where this morning?
    Got lost in the moment this morning (thinking about work...). Ended up Falconwood down to Blackheath and Greenwich and followed the Thames Path into town. Then I got in my head I wanted to do 24kms to kick off 2024 so kept going...

1000kms last year over 132 activities and want to try and double that (going to have to get better at listening to my body to do that). Need to book up some events.
  • Options
    34:55 at Charlton, a second off completing the stopwatch bingo. D'oh! Considering the beer I drank the night before, I'm pleased with that. 
  • Options
    I was forbidden from trying today after a further back twinge after ticking off Bushy on Saturday. 
    Disappointing as I couldn’t tick off the Christmas Season Double and means I’m on 0/54 for 2024….
  • Options
    Classic New Years resolution time, signing up for the Porto Marathon in November. Going to start training now to help deal with the Christmas pounds. Hoping to beat my marathon PB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought I was fine and coherent when I  was helped up after my fall but my fitbit GPS says otherwise. 

• Options
    I've always found GPS bad at Shorne. Hope you're on the mend. 

I saw Steve Gritt at Hoblingwell. I finished in front of him but he's got a higher percentage grade. It's a deceptively tough course, doesn't have any big hills but there's nowhere for a break. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    This parkrun thing is dangerous.  Went splat on the gravel path this morning at Shorne.  Apart from damage to knees, shoulder, thumb, lip, eye and forehead I’m ok.  Thanks to everyone that stopped (everyone seemed to be a nurse) and to the volunteers who cleaned up my wounds.  
    I should also thank my base layer for reducing the damage to my knees but most of all a big thank you to my Charlton hat which hit the deck before the rest of my face and ensured, hopefully, that my good looks have not been affected. 
    Sounds nasty. Hope you soon get over it. Something similar happened to me my 3rd time out, although I didn't face plant. Fell near the start and got up to carry on and finish, but ended up in A&E after suffering a bad internal bleed. Was lucky not to need surgery in the end!

Didn't put me off PR though. No 213 chalked off today 😉
  • Options
    Hope you feel better. It happens to us all.

i dislocated (briefly) a finger during a cross country last week when I fell over trying to clear a ditch. Not a traditional running injury.
  • Options
    First PR after COVID at Christmas. Did a couple of runs beforehand. Managed under half an hour but I was drained. Had a nap after lunch!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    First PR after COVID at Christmas. Did a couple of runs beforehand. Managed under half an hour but I was drained. Had a nap after lunch!
    I feel the need to sleep pretty much after every run @McBobbin

• Options
    edited January 14

Glad you’re all ok @Hex sounds nasty 

and you @kigelia

• Options
    edited January 14

Glad you’re all ok @Hex sounds nasty 

and you @kigelia

Thanks. Pretty much ok. Bit of bruising and pain but full movement. Didn’t stop me doing another cross country today. 
  • Options
    edited January 14
    Not managed a Parkrun since NYD but have managed 5 runs so far this year. Didn’t manage a single 10k in 2023, so addressed that early with two Sundays in a row.

Personally I much prefer running when it’s cold than when it’s hot. Last Sunday morning it was 1 degree, I had my lycra leggings, tee shirt, running top and gloves, and I passed a bloke about 60yrs old running in Avery Hill Park topless with just a pair of shorts of. Absolute lunatic 
  • Options
    I sprained my ankle really badly at the start of December and haven't run on it since, until today when I made it to the gym and ran 5k on a treadmill with a little bit of discomfort but not a bad time all things considered 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not managed a Parkrun since NYD but have managed 5 runs so far this year. Didn’t manage a single 10k in 2023, so addressed that early with two Sundays in a row.

Personally I much prefer running when it’s cold than when it’s hot. Last Sunday morning it was 1 degree, I had my lycra leggings, tee shirt, running top and gloves, and I passed a bloke about 60yrs old running in Avery Hill Park topless with just a pair of shorts of. Absolute lunatic 
    I really enjoy it being crisp and cold over hot and sweaty. What I loath is running in blustery, blowy weather. Living down here that's often what we get. Yet after doing 5k straight into a flipping gale, it never seems to push me along when I turn around at the pier and run back home.

Must be some weird weather phenomenon. 
  • Options
    I don't like the cold.  Yesterday was 1-2 degrees but my multiple layers (6 !) protected me, especially when I decided to inspect the path close up.  However, even with running gloves my fingers felt like frostbite wasn't far away.  Mrs Hex is the opposite but even she complained that the Minnis Bay KFL last week was freezing and having experienced the coldness of Deal KFL last year, gave today's a miss.  It can be too cold !
  • Options
    Managed to get a PB at Leybourne Lake Sat morning (malling PR) keeps the old ticker in good health :)
  • Options
    Went over to Gunnersbury yesterday - 705 people there, their biggest crowd for four years. So a top 600 finish wasn't too bad... Good one-lap course.
  • Options
    edited January 14
    Went over to Gunnersbury yesterday - 705 people there, their biggest crowd for four years. So a top 600 finish wasn't too bad... Good one-lap course.
    This is on my todo list, I’ve not done one at all in ‘24 yet (niggly back), but hope to do Crane Park next weekend…
  • Options
    Managed to get a PB at Leybourne Lake Sat morning (malling PR) keeps the old ticker in good health :)
    Leybourne Lakes is on our list of nearby PRs.  Isn’t it pretty flat ?
  • Options
    Fairly flat and twice round, no challenging hills! Shorne was my regular venue, Malling has kept me going. I get round between 33 & 36 and its amother venue with a good feel about it fyi!
  • Options
    Hex said:
    I don't like the cold.  Yesterday was 1-2 degrees but my multiple layers (6 !) protected me, especially when I decided to inspect the path close up.  However, even with running gloves my fingers felt like frostbite wasn't far away.  Mrs Hex is the opposite but even she complained that the Minnis Bay KFL last week was freezing and having experienced the coldness of Deal KFL last year, gave today's a miss.  It can be too cold !
    Deal wasn’t too bad today (last year the wind made it super cold). Agree that Minnis last week for mad cold. I had driven most of the way home in fresh clothes before I felt warm again.
  • Options
    Had my first go at run director this Saturday at Footscray Meadows, 50 runners made it to the end.
    Well done @Leaburns_Dead_Leg just looked done your results and noticed my first boss (who’s in her late 60s) was one of your finishers.