Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hilly Fields on Saturday, pleased with my 33:22 there. They switch to a winter course there which uses even more of the big hill - it's rather daunting, even if you've done it loads.

Looking at a New Year's Day double of Beckenham Place Park (9am) and either Hilly Fields (10am) or Catford (10.30am) tomorrow.

A year ago I thought doing that was insane (yet still did a hungover 45-minute NYD "run" at Hilly Fields).

All being well, it'll be a bit of tourism at Crystal Palace Park on Saturday, and then my 50th parkrun at Hilly Fields on the 12th. How did that happen?
    rina said:

did woodhouse moor in leeds before heading to barnsley. possibly the windiest run ever, I was really fighting to not get blown off the path at times, good fun though

Did Barnsley parkrun last year, my girlfriend's folks live there - was my first non-Hilly Fields run. That's some hill there. Lovely people, though, and it's worth it to look out over to Emley Moor.

Now I've got some work again, I might see if I can combine a CAFC awayday with a bit of parkrun tourism before the season's over...
  • Options
    Get the impression you don’t like hills @InspectorSands :-)

For those looking for a local double tomorrow, Avery Hill is 9am and Danson is 10.30am.

Depending on beers tonight I may do either both or neither!!
  • Options

Funny thing is, I started out at Hilly Fields and just walked the bloody thing - it took me about 30 goes of the summer course to master running up the shorter hill! It'll take me a while to master the bigger hill, but I don't really care, I'll just walk it and if I'm doing alright, I'll catch up after. It makes me laugh when I speak to much more experienced runners who are worried at the thought of doing Hilly Fields! It's still just about getting round for me, but I do like feeling the improvements (as you've said before, it's always a bit worrying how quickly those improvements can fade if you don't keep running!).

Crystal Palace Park is supposed to be hillier, so that should be interesting!
  • Options

Did Barnsley parkrun last year, my girlfriend's folks live there - was my first non-Hilly Fields run. That's some hill there. Lovely people, though, and it's worth it to look out over to Emley Moor.

Now I've got some work again, I might see if I can combine a CAFC awayday with a bit of parkrun tourism before the season's over...

Hilly fields is 253ft of elevation, Barnsley is 363ft so quite a difference. Crystal Palace is almost identical to HF at 250ft

https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun/

Footscray Meadows followed by Catford for me tomorrow, travelling over from West London with a friend and his dog. Keep an eye out for him if you do Catford, his dog is very excitable but has no concept of pacing so they tend to overtake the lead bike at the start before slowing down quite a lot
  • Options

Funny thing is, I started out at Hilly Fields and just walked the bloody thing - it took me about 30 goes of the summer course to master running up the shorter hill! It'll take me a while to master the bigger hill, but I don't really care, I'll just walk it and if I'm doing alright, I'll catch up after. It makes me laugh when I speak to much more experienced runners who are worried at the thought of doing Hilly Fields! It's still just about getting round for me, but I do like feeling the improvements (as you've said before, it's always a bit worrying how quickly those improvements can fade if you don't keep running!).

Crystal Palace Park is supposed to be hillier, so that should be interesting!
    Hilly fields and CP are my two regulars. I'd say that hillyfields is harder - CP is essentially all uphill from the start when you're feeling fresh, then 1.5k or so flat at the top then back down the hill again. There's better coffee at CP though. Be warned that there tends to be fewer marshal's/signs at CP, and the field does get strung out - so probably worth getting to the new runners briefing.

Making no commitment to what i'll do tomorrow, but hopefully i'll be OK to do Dulwich at 10.
  • Options
    I'm firmly deciding that my new year new mcbobbin can probably wait until the weekend
  • Options
    This is without doubt going to be the least enjoyable run possible but got to be done. Had about 82 pickled onions of varying chilli strength so wouldn’t advise anyone running behind me today
  • Options

This is without doubt going to be the least enjoyable run possible but got to be done. Had about 82 pickled onions of varying chilli strength so wouldn’t advise anyone running behind me today

New PB today? Will count if the wind is less than 2m/sec.
  • Options
    Good work AFKA, I just about got out of bed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @InspectorSands did you do Catford? an absolutely ridiculous run from Marders in 1st place taking nearly a minute off the course record, he amazes me every time I see him run
  • Options
    rina said:

@InspectorSands did you do Catford? an absolutely ridiculous run from Marders in 1st place taking nearly a minute off the course record, he amazes me every time I see him run

Nope - did 33.06 at Beckenham Place Park (9am), then made it to Hilly Fields (10am) in good time to get round in 37.53 (walked about a third of it). Really pleased with both, not least because I'd spent a chunk of New Year's Eve in the pub and didn't get much sleep. (Switching to Nanny State before midnight helped...) Not planning on doing any 10k runs any time soon but doing two parkruns was more fun than I expected, if "fun" is the right word...

Just looked at Catford's results and I've seen that bloke run before - at Victoria Dock, dressed in a Spider-Man outfit (it was ComicCon day at ExCeL) and he really is bloody fast. Once he finished, he then helped the organisers by scanning everybody else's finish tokens.

Apparently Peckham Rye (at 9am) was overwhelmed by the numbers and ran out of finish tokens - people had to queue up to leave their names and registration numbers. The first finisher at Peckham Rye? Your man Marders...
  • Options
    I'll be back on Saturday after missing last week.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I'll be back on Saturday after missing last week.

Me too. Looking forward to it. Going to attempt to dry out as well. Realise I'll never be fast, so may try to see how far I can run in the next few weeks... Hoping for a half marathon in a few months (ah, new year, the time to make a load of promises)
  • Options

Apparently Peckham Rye (at 9am) was overwhelmed by the numbers and ran out of finish tokens - people had to queue up to leave their names and registration numbers. The first finisher at Peckham Rye? Your man Marders...

wow, I see he broke that course record as well. this may have been what he was practicing for when you saw him https://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/paul-martelletti-breaks-superhero-record-dressed-as-spider-man-21605/

over 150 events broke their attendance record yesterday, loads of them running out of tokens
  • Options

rina said:

Nope - did 33.06 at Beckenham Place Park (9am), then made it to Hilly Fields (10am) in good time to get round in 37.53 (walked about a third of it). Really pleased with both, not least because I'd spent a chunk of New Year's Eve in the pub and didn't get much sleep. (Switching to Nanny State before midnight helped...) Not planning on doing any 10k runs any time soon but doing two parkruns was more fun than I expected, if "fun" is the right word...

Just looked at Catford's results and I've seen that bloke run before - at Victoria Dock, dressed in a Spider-Man outfit (it was ComicCon day at ExCeL) and he really is bloody fast. Once he finished, he then helped the organisers by scanning everybody else's finish tokens.

Was at peckham rye, first time i've run there - then we went over to Tooting for 10.30. 2 PB's, not bad for < 4 hrs sleep.*

*they may have been PB's as it was the first time i've run either, but whatever.
  • Options
    Those of you who did two, did you take the first one steady or push yourself?

I always run at 100% chasing PBs and literally have nothing left at the end. I toyed with the idea of doing a second one but was worried if he overdoing it.

Looking down the results though I’m staggered at just how many did two
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Felt so rough on the first one that I was in no way able to really push myself.

Interestingly I got faster over the second one. Doing a 5k, then having a break, then doing another 5k is in many ways more difficult than doing 10k straight through and my legs were super heavy at the start of the second.

Have just offered to volunteer for the first time this Saturday at CP
  • Options
    5 miles done today, not a great time, but was progressive mileage under the belt.

Marathon Training has officially begun.
  • Options

I always run at 100% chasing PBs and literally have nothing left at the end. I toyed with the idea of doing a second one but was worried if he overdoing it.

Pushed myself on the first one so I could take the second one easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

slow jogged both, Saturdays are a recovery day for me at the moment but I'll be throwing in the odd fast parkrun in the next couple of months
  • Options
    rina said:

slow jogged both, Saturdays are a recovery day for me at the moment but I'll be throwing in the odd fast parkrun in the next couple of months
    What you training for @rina ?
  • Options
    London marathon first up

rina said:

What you training for @rina ?
    A few events in April/May/June. London Marathon, Green Belt relay (team of 11 running 210 miles around London) and Endure 24 (24 hour relay)

Those will hopefully get me fit again so I can have a crack at an autumn marathon though in reality I'll probably just get injured at some point
  • Options

You are talking about running?
  • Options

You are talking about running?
    New Years Eve in the Millers Arms.
  • Options
    Injured!! Got a problem with hamstring going to physio tomorrow! :(
  • Options
    Cold one this morning and my first public outing in Lycra!

Good luck everyone, hope,you get fixed soon @kimbo
  • Options
    It be my first for a while... Got the spandex on. Feels like my entire lower half is being given a Chinese burn
  • Options
    I’m parked up at one, ready to slowly walk around and hopefully not annoy the volunteers too much by making them late for their Sunday dinners...