Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    That’s £30 to enter for a 5k event. Crazy.

How did marshalling and the Eltham south run go @Riviera ?
    I begrudge ever paying for a 5k again when there's fantastic ones all over the country every Saturday for free.
  • Options
    £10 goes to charity
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    kimbo said:
    McBobbin said:
    And is anyone else doing the Standard Chartered city 5k in July? Done it the past few years and my work puts in a team. Always good fun
    No but would be interested in doing it. Do you have to work for sC 

edit: entries closed 
    Is that what used to be the Chase Manhattan 5k in the 90's?  Massive event. 

I didnt even know of Charlton in the 90s! so this means nothing. Would have done it if not sold out

• Options
    That’s £30 to enter for a 5k event. Crazy.

How did marshalling and the Eltham south run go @Riviera ?
    Marshalling is fun, second time I've done it. More people need to volunteer for Parkrun though, if everyone did 3 a year it would be fine but many don't do it at all. My friend who sets up the Greenwich course every week and is often Race Director had to miss his run last week as they didn't have enough volunteers. 
    The EP5 was great, I really enjoyed the race. Knocked of about 2 mins from last year. The course is lovely. It is a very well run event.
    Back to Parkrun today after a very heavy Friday night in the Dog&Bell and Star of India but a respectable (for me) 41:53. Beautiful morning, why wouldn't you want to be out running?  
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    No, not sure how it works as my work sort it, but I think companies sign up for a certain number of places. Probably costs a fair bit, and thousands do it. Starts and ends at the royal artillery grounds, and goes round the city, st Paul's, Liverpool Street kind of area. They close all the roads much to the irritation of some commuters.

I think I came about 2500 last year, at about 26min30s winner about 15 mins. Good fun... 
    especially a couple of years ago when they went ahead on tube strike day and added considerably more aggro to the already gridlocked streets. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    McBobbin said:
    No, not sure how it works as my work sort it, but I think companies sign up for a certain number of places. Probably costs a fair bit, and thousands do it. Starts and ends at the royal artillery grounds, and goes round the city, st Paul's, Liverpool Street kind of area. They close all the roads much to the irritation of some commuters.

I think I came about 2500 last year, at about 26min30s winner about 15 mins. Good fun... 
    especially a couple of years ago when they went ahead on tube strike day and added considerably more aggro to the already gridlocked streets. 
    All part of the fun. Didn't stop some twat marching across the road with his bike, nearly taking me and a few other out.

Anyway... 28 something. My knee went about halfway through, and I was getting skinned by all kinds of people by the end. Still finished just inside the "top" 400, surely some sort of achievement
  • Options
    34:58 at a very sunny Mile End Park.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Slower than last week, but running on Wednesday and Thursday may have sapped my energy a bit. My second best PR time though I think, about 29 mins (28:44 on Strava)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Slower than last week, but running on Wednesday and Thursday may have sapped my energy a bit. My second best PR time though I think, about 29 mins (28:44 on Strava)
    Sub 10 minute miles for gentlemen of a certain age is commendable in my opinion.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    5.7k today, after 6.3k yesterday. First time I’ve  run two days in a row. Seem to be improving a bit with repetition. 
    Just remember that recovery is a must. Even if that recovery is another run but at a super light pace and short distance i.e 2k at a real jogging pace. 

Your body needs time to repair and rebuild. Push it too far and you could end up with a lengthy lay off. 
    Ta. Park Run on Saturday next should be ok though?
    It was only a few months ago that running to the end of my road would make my chest feel like it was exploding. My blood pressure is coming down, so hoping the doctor will let me reduce my pill dosage soon. 
    Yeah you'll be fine just remember the steps that progressed you to where you are.

You'll be fine with 1 or 2 days between runs, certainly don't be afraid to chuck in the odd 2 consecutive days running, just allow a bit of extra recovery after.

I am just getting back into the swing of regular runs having lost my mojo a bit. Had to take time to get back into it and have come through without any injuries pretty rapidly as a result of ensuring rest days.

Gonna give Parkrun a crack on Saturday to see where I am in terms of 5k Fitness... It's a completely different challenge to Marathon training, personally one I find tougher! But boy have I missed it.
    Pulled my groin on a simple jog on Friday... So fudged off right now. Currently at a festival getting shitfaced. Deciding whether to change attitude either towards healthy eating 24/7, giving up running for a few months or somewhere between.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went to a new one for me today and only their 5th ever at Bethlem in Beckenham.  Grassy course, some small inclines you would not notice when walking but do when running and it was hot.  I set a new pb... longest i have taken!  About 30 1/2 mins.  Need to get myself a barcode to start recording some properly.

There was, for obvious reasons a no photos policy which sadly meant i could not take any pics of the beautiful course.    
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sub 10 minute miles for gentlemen of a certain age is commendable in my opinion.
    8:36 for the mile. I’m hoping to keep improving despite advancing years
  • Options
    I just completed my first Park run on Saturday at Leybourne Lakes Malling, with a time of 28:41 which I was well pleased with. 
    My wife managed a time of 40:06
    We both enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, it doesn't matter how fit you are.

• Options
    Well done @Onlyme welcome to the club!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    5.7k today, after 6.3k yesterday. First time I’ve  run two days in a row. Seem to be improving a bit with repetition. 
    Just remember that recovery is a must. Even if that recovery is another run but at a super light pace and short distance i.e 2k at a real jogging pace. 

Your body needs time to repair and rebuild. Push it too far and you could end up with a lengthy lay off. 
    Ta. Park Run on Saturday next should be ok though?
    It was only a few months ago that running to the end of my road would make my chest feel like it was exploding. My blood pressure is coming down, so hoping the doctor will let me reduce my pill dosage soon. 
    Yeah you'll be fine just remember the steps that progressed you to where you are.

You'll be fine with 1 or 2 days between runs, certainly don't be afraid to chuck in the odd 2 consecutive days running, just allow a bit of extra recovery after.

I am just getting back into the swing of regular runs having lost my mojo a bit. Had to take time to get back into it and have come through without any injuries pretty rapidly as a result of ensuring rest days.

Gonna give Parkrun a crack on Saturday to see where I am in terms of 5k Fitness... It's a completely different challenge to Marathon training, personally one I find tougher! But boy have I missed it.
    Pulled my groin on a simple jog on Friday... So fudged off right now. Currently at a festival getting shitfaced. Deciding whether to change attitude either towards healthy eating 24/7, giving up running for a few months or somewhere between.
    Lols Didn't know i'd posted this. 

I am not about to give up running. I will re-shift focus though. Can't let the injuries keep getting me down. Think I'll start taking the MTB to work again. Keep using lunch breaks for running whilst weekends are limited. 
  • Options
    Congrats to @razil who I saw Pb’d this weekend
  • Options
    Thanks mate, done a couple recently. I put it down to switching over to lower carbs, doesn't make enjoyable running though - feeling of low energy, can take a while to transition apparently to burning fat rather than carbs so perhaps its that, lots of psychology needed to keep running tho :(

Lost about 8lbs on it though which might have helped too though. Started cycling to work again today too, 16 miles each way so decent enough workout.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Thanks mate, done a couple recently. I put it down to switching over to lower carbs, doesn't make enjoyable running though - feeling of low energy, can take a while to transition apparently to burning fat rather than carbs so perhaps its that, lots of psychology needed to keep running tho :(

Lost about 8lbs on it though which might have helped too though. Started cycling to work again today too, 16 miles each way so decent enough workout.
    The lack of energy from switching to low carbs isn't forever. It'll be easier as time goes by.

Fantastic weight loss.
  • Options
    I need to switch to low carbs and buy an alarm clock :( 
    Went for a bike ride instead, glorious day, wish I had gotten out earlier
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My word that was hot this morning. 288 at Avery Hill Park aided in the heat by a fantastic 37 volunteer marshalls and pacers.

really enjoyed my run this morning, was just 12 secs off my PB but given the heat wished I had taken it a bit easier. Great to get back amongst it after five weeks away.
  • Options
    Back from injury, 5 weeks for a sprained ankle, hate how long the recovery takes as you get older. 26.07 on an easy course not great but so good to be back park running, my favourite bit of the week 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Weirdly, as I was cruising cos of the heat, I was just six seconds off my Park Run PB today with 28:57. (I dream of 26:07!)
    I think there might be hotter ones ahead :-(

• Options
    A sweaty, ploddy 44:02. It wasn't that hot, nothing like it is now. My poor performance down to late night beers and curry. 
  • Options
    Doing the park run here in Whistler. First time under 25 mins today. Always at least a couple of runners from the uk over here. A hilly course and the fear of running into a black bear makes you run faster... love it
  • Options
    23 sec??!!

Kevin E and I did Footscray this morning  in a ‘leisurely’ but sub 6 second pkm this morning, nice route, only 50 or so runners so more intimate than some other parkruns, although a bit uneven so if you’ve got dodgy ankles avoid. Followed by a smoothie at the gym, and for me a spot of tennis with the nipper. All very civilised.
  • Options
    razil said:
    23 sec??!!

Kevin E and I did Footscray this morning  in a ‘leisurely’ but sub 6 second pkm this morning, nice route, only 50 or so runners so more intimate than some other parkruns, although a bit uneven so if you’ve got dodgy ankles avoid. Followed by a smoothie at the gym, and for me a spot of tennis with the nipper. All very civilised.
    92 at Footscray this morning @razil

Well done mate, I see Kev impressively put the burners on at Danson a couple of weeks ago. Was Footscray flatter than Avery Hill?
  • Options
    Hadn’t checked number was just going on what someone told me was normal turnout. Point is it’s much less busy. It doesn’t have hills but it has lots of holes and bumps.

Indeed Kev is way above my standard