Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    First one since 25th of May today, was 30-secs off my PB but was proper chuffed with that as it was so so hot. My 13th overall now...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Like AFKA it was my 23rd Park Run today.

Did my back in slightly at the allotment yesterday, and wasn't going to run today. But thought I'd give the missus some support, so started right at the back, walking. After a bit I felt ok so jogged round, and sped up towards the end. I the end ran 5.22k at 6mins/k pace, which I'm quite happy with.

584 park runners today, which is quite low for Clapham Common.
  • Options
    razil said:
    23 sec??!!

Kevin E and I did Footscray this morning  in a ‘leisurely’ but sub 6 second pkm this morning, nice route, only 50 or so runners so more intimate than some other parkruns, although a bit uneven so if you’ve got dodgy ankles avoid. Followed by a smoothie at the gym, and for me a spot of tennis with the nipper. All very civilised.
    23 sec of a PB is nothing. I once knocked of 1min 45sec of my PB whilst watching the women's Beach Volleyball...
  • Options
    Thought that I would share the following with those interested in running/jogging.

Just completed my second 1/2 marathon (though first since 2004) on the Gold Coast, and had the biggest head-fuck ever.

I had been using the NIKE NRC running APP to measure distances and split times, so turned it on at the start of the race, and was reminded every five minutes that I had clicked up another KM.

Anyhow at what I thought was the 18K stage today, I found a new burst of energy and relished the thought of the final 3K's to knock off, to what would have been an impressive time of around 1:40.

Imagine my horror then, when a voice from the sidelines shouted "Only another 8K to go - you're all doing so well!"

I then ran past a marker which did indeed say 13K, when the awful truth dawned on me that the old NIKE NRC App was indeed a load of old bollocks and had been feeding me gross misinformation for the last three months.

Consequently the last 8K was a horrible slog, as mentally I was almost there, only to have the rug pulled out from under me and finished with a final time of 2:12

Would be interested if anyone else has any other running app suggestions?
  • Options
    Hmmm, I’m a bit of an old Luddite so I still use NRC. It pretty consistently records each parkrun I do as being 5.19km. 
    When yours put you down as being 8km further ahead it had presumably saved the right duration meaning that it must also have showed your speed as being startling good?

Anyway I think lots of the cool kids now use Strava but I can’t do that as I’m simple, Strava is for cycling and Nike Running Club is for (short distance) running(jogging)...
  • Options
    I use a Fitbit Ionic which then synchs with Strava, works ok most of the time
  • Options
    Smashed through my brockwell park PB yesterday. Have a target time for my 50th parkrun (6 runs time) and should hit it. Started doing more interval training, which is horrible at the time - but well worth it.
  • Options
    Thought that I would share the following with those interested in running/jogging.

Just completed my second 1/2 marathon (though first since 2004) on the Gold Coast, and had the biggest head-fuck ever.

I had been using the NIKE NRC running APP to measure distances and split times, so turned it on at the start of the race, and was reminded every five minutes that I had clicked up another KM.

Anyhow at what I thought was the 18K stage today, I found a new burst of energy and relished the thought of the final 3K's to knock off, to what would have been an impressive time of around 1:40.

Imagine my horror then, when a voice from the sidelines shouted "Only another 8K to go - you're all doing so well!"

I then ran past a marker which did indeed say 13K, when the awful truth dawned on me that the old NIKE NRC App was indeed a load of old bollocks and had been feeding me gross misinformation for the last three months.

Consequently the last 8K was a horrible slog, as mentally I was almost there, only to have the rug pulled out from under me and finished with a final time of 2:12

Get yourself a garmin f35 watch (£99) and sync it with Strava (paint by numbers steps for initial sync and automatic thereafter).

No need to carry phones or anything which hinders running technique.

Got one at Christmas after recommendations on this thread and absolutely love it.

Off to do the Bewl 15 mile now...glad it's cooler than yesterday!
  • Options
    the bournemouth squad including simon francis ran bournemouth parkrun yesterday, can't see any of them in the results though so guess they had no barcodes. wonder if bowyer can persuade the boys to nip over from the training pitches one day
  • Options
    as @RodneyCharltonTrotta says Garmin's really are paint by numbers simple. My runs are uploaded automatically to Strava as soon as I'm within bluetooth range of my phone, so generally well before I've got changed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've signed up for the Ealing Half Marathon in September....anyone here running it or done so before?

Training has been really patchy but I did manage 2 runs last week, both of 6.5 miles, averaging out around 8:35 per mile pace. Want to try for a sub 1:45 half so I know I need to work on this.
  • Options

good pacing Dan, but that looks a very tall ask imo.

In two months you need to double your distance and increase your pace to 7.59/ per mile.

Am i right in thinking you've previously run a marathon? If you've already got distance achievements in your legs then you'll have a better idea on whether that's achievable or not.

good luck though and keep us up to date with your training progress

• Options
    First run without my iPhone today, as I linked my Fitbit Charge2 to Strava, after reading advice about that on this thread. Nice not to have a phone bouncing around in my pocket!
    Unfortunately the run hasn’t synced. It appears on my Fitbit, but not on Strava. 
    Am I doing something wrong?

• Options
    I have a gps fitbit watch I'm selling if anyone's interested, PM me..
  • Options

Strava. And a proper fitness tracker like the new Garmin Fr45

https://www.sportsdirect.com/garmin-fr-45-lg-sn04-765516?colcode=76551603&gclid=CjwKCAjw04vpBRB3EiwA0IiearbO6eOosbmfCjE8BEnEKAXCYJRWbI1DW2BaxHslVcVm9Vxr5l2PrxoCrNoQAvD_BwE

You could actually then just use Garmin alone through the watch, but we do have a lifer club on Strava

Want to join my Strava running club? https://www.strava.com/clubs/CharltonLifeRunners?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    First run without my iPhone today, as I linked my Fitbit Charge2 to Strava, after reading advice about that on this thread. Nice not to have a phone bouncing around in my pocket!
    Unfortunately the run hasn’t synced. It appears on my Fitbit, but not on Strava. 
    Am I doing something wrong?

No idea with Fitbit, but sometimes you can download the gpx and upload to Strava all from your phone.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

In two months you need to double your distance and increase your pace to 7.59/ per mile.

Am i right in thinking you've previously run a marathon? If you've already got distance achievements in your legs then you'll have a better idea on whether that's achievable or not.

Not easy as Danny says, but can be achieved.

DanDavis said:
    I've signed up for the Ealing Half Marathon in September....anyone here running it or done so before?

Training has been really patchy but I did manage 2 runs last week, both of 6.5 miles, averaging out around 8:35 per mile pace. Want to try for a sub 1:45 half so I know I need to work on this.
    Hi Dan

You'll need to increase your number of runs up to 4-5 runs a week. 

Something like:

WEEK 1:
    MONDAY - 4 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    WEDNESDAY - 6 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Shoot for around 7:30 per mile
    SUNDAY - 8 Miles - 9:00 per mile

WEEK 2:
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    THURSDAY - 7 Miles @ 8:45 per mile
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Shoot for 7:25 per mile
    SUNDAY - 9 Miles @ 8:50 per mile

WEEK 3

MONDAY - 3 Miles @ 8:00
    WEDNESDAY - 7 Miles @ 8:30
    FRIDAY 5 Miles @ 8:45
    SUNDAY 9 Miles @ 8:45

WEEK 4
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:20
    THURSDAY - 8 Miles @ 8:20
    SATURDAY - Parkrun 7:20
    SUNDAY - 10 Miles @ 9:00

WEEK 5
    WEDNESDAY - 8 Miles @ 8:10
    FRIDAY - 6 @ 8:30
    SUNDAY - 10 @ 8:40

WEEK 6
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:00
    THURSDAY - 8M @ 8:00
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Sub 7:15
    SUNDAY - 11M @ 8:30

WEEK 7
    MONDAY - 4M @ 8:10
    WEDNESDAY - 8M @ 7:50
    SATURDAY - Park Run @ 7:20
    SUNDAY - 8M @ 8:30

WEEK 8
    TUESDAY 3M @ 7:59
    THURSDAY 2M @ 7:59
    SATURDAY 1M @ 7:59
    SUNDAY - Race day - You've done the training now take the plaudits. 

Now most plans would have your longer runs faster than your race pace but given your position on your last couple of runs and not really knowing your pace, I don't know if you'd have it in you at the moment to work it that way.

This plan will be tough. But it should work, so long as you recover and refuel correctly.
    Protein and carbs at the right times.
    Sleep plenty. 
    Rest on missing days or a light and easy swim at most.

• Options
    Anyone else on here signing up for this? I have registered for all three races.
    https://cact.org.uk/10kseries
  • Options
    Yes I have. I had already signed up for the races so am giving a donation to the Trust for the vest. 
  • Options
    Well interested in this...only thing putting me off is that I doubt I could raise sponsorship.

Shame they don't offer an alternative fee option also. Ie £15 a race...that way I would pay £45 and they get £45 rather than  nothing for me not entering any on the basis I can't raise sponsorship.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well interested in this...only thing putting me off is that I doubt I could raise sponsorship.

Shame they don't offer an alternative fee option also. Ie £15 a race...that way I would pay £45 and they get £45 rather than  nothing for me not entering any on the basis I can't raise sponsorship.

I get that. The level of sponsorship demand has snowballed in recent years. I’d like to do some form of challenge in the next couple of years but I’m conscious there are other priority charities that I’d like to fundraise for, and that you can only really ask people once. 
  • Options

I get that. The level of sponsorship demand has snowballed in recent years. I’d like to do some form of challenge in the next couple of years but I’m conscious there are other priority charities that I’d like to fundraise for, and that you can only really ask people once. 
    Sponsorship fatigue I think particularly with social media. Before I would generally sponsor mates or colleagues but now it seems a daily thing that people are asking for it so feel a bit awkward asking for money so Rodders can have a run around.

If there was an additional fee pay option I would probably  sign up and at least they'd get the fee for no incremental cost (could charge fee payers for the vest).

This way I imagine many won't do it as won't want to ask for sponsorship so both sides lose out in that respect.

Probably get more money that way by having an alternative fee option of 15 or 20 quid per race or 50 for all 3 for example.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I've run Ealing twice and been a cycle marshall once. It's up there as one of the best. I've done it once when unfit and it felt very hilly and once when fit where I didn't even notice the hills. Roads are all closed which is great as there are only 3 (I think) like that in London.

On the downside it's the only race where I've seen someone collapse and die on the course
  • Options
    Sadly can’t be there but it’s Greenwich Parkrun’s 500th Parkrun at Avery Hill Park this Saturday if anyone feels inspired 
  • Options
    Sadly can’t be there but it’s Greenwich Parkrun’s 500th Parkrun at Avery Hill Park this Saturday if anyone feels inspired 
    Is it flat.
  • Options
    Mainly. There’s a little steady incline from Avery Hill Road side up to the Winter Garden Conservatory but it’s equally downhill the other side and then flat for the rest. 3 laps. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not easy as Danny says, but can be achieved.

DanDavis said:

Hi Dan

You'll need to increase your number of runs up to 4-5 runs a week. 

Something like:

WEEK 1:
    MONDAY - 4 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    WEDNESDAY - 6 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Shoot for around 7:30 per mile
    SUNDAY - 8 Miles - 9:00 per mile

WEEK 2:
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:30 per mile
    THURSDAY - 7 Miles @ 8:45 per mile
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Shoot for 7:25 per mile
    SUNDAY - 9 Miles @ 8:50 per mile

WEEK 3

WEDNESDAY - 7 Miles @ 8:30
    FRIDAY 5 Miles @ 8:45
    SUNDAY 9 Miles @ 8:45

WEEK 4
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:20
    THURSDAY - 8 Miles @ 8:20
    SATURDAY - Parkrun 7:20
    SUNDAY - 10 Miles @ 9:00

WEEK 5
    WEDNESDAY - 8 Miles @ 8:10
    FRIDAY - 6 @ 8:30
    SUNDAY - 10 @ 8:40

WEEK 6
    TUESDAY - 5 Miles @ 8:00
    THURSDAY - 8M @ 8:00
    SATURDAY - Park Run - Sub 7:15
    SUNDAY - 11M @ 8:30

WEEK 7
    MONDAY - 4M @ 8:10
    WEDNESDAY - 8M @ 7:50
    SATURDAY - Park Run @ 7:20
    SUNDAY - 8M @ 8:30

WEEK 8
    TUESDAY 3M @ 7:59
    THURSDAY 2M @ 7:59
    SATURDAY 1M @ 7:59
    SUNDAY - Race day - You've done the training now take the plaudits. 

Now most plans would have your longer runs faster than your race pace but given your position on your last couple of runs and not really knowing your pace, I don't know if you'd have it in you at the moment to work it that way.

This plan will be tough. But it should work, so long as you recover and refuel correctly.
    Protein and carbs at the right times.
    Sleep plenty. 
    Rest on missing days or a light and easy swim at most.

Thanks so much for this Dazzler, certainly challenging but I'd like to think I can have a good crack at it.

Giving some context to my previous best runs probably would have helped:

5k - 21:51 (2016)
    10k - 48:35 (last August)
    Half - 1:49:40 (2014)
    Marathon - 4:19 (2016)

I actually did a summer of speedwork back in 2013 and was timed (unofficially) at 18:50 for a 5k, those days seem a long time ago haha (I've just turned 42) I definitely seem more suited to the shorter distances but feel like I can better my half marathon time with the right training.

• Options
    For anyone who wants an unusual 10k (with some weekend 5k runs) - this is for an excellent charity and is running continuously until 28 July. I'm doing a couple of marshalling stints and the final 5k.

https://london.cityrelays.com/

• Options
    Did the 500th parkrun at Avery Hill today in 35.14 - did better in my last trip there when it was cold and wet so I should probably start taking this malarkey a bit more seriously. Enjoyed it more than last time, mind, it's alright there when the weather's good. Nice bit of birthday cake too.

I spy a few lifers on the results page, I'll leave to them to tell their stories! 
  • Options
    Did my 38th today at the 500th Greenwich Park run. 41:45 which was much better than the last few weeks. Massive turn out. Saw Razil the glory hunter but no AFKA.