Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    I run ‘naked’ for the first ever time; no earphones, runtracker or water bottle. Felt really strange.
    Was definitely better not having to carry anything or keep putting an earphone back in my lughole, but I did find it got me over concerned about my breathing with no music to distract me and not knowing if I was pacing myself ok made it more difficult. Enjoyable run today though, managed my second best time. Made a nice change waiting for the email not having a clue what time you run.

Well done @ThreadKiller , lots of respect waking up to pouring rain yet still committing to a first outing.  Glad it stopped for the run. That’s a great start mate, good to see you. You’ll bring that down very quickly if you stay regular. 
  • Options
    Early rain must have put quite a few off as it was the lowest turnout at Avery Hill (256) since 2nd Feb and the lowest at Danson (320) since Dec
  • Options
    6k in Blackheath and Greenwich Park this morning. Haven’t done 10k for ages so panicking for Regents Park 10k next week. Anyone else doing it for CATC!
  • Options
    I run ‘naked’ for the first ever time; no earphones, runtracker or water bottle. Felt really strange.
    Was definitely better not having to carry anything or keep putting an earphone back in my lughole, but I did find it got me over concerned about my breathing with no music to distract me and not knowing if I was pacing myself ok made it more difficult. Enjoyable run today though, managed my second best time. Made a nice change waiting for the email not having a clue what time you run.

Well done @ThreadKiller , lots of respect waking up to pouring rain yet still committing to a first outing.  Glad it stopped for the run. That’s a great start mate, good to see you. You’ll bring that down very quickly if you stay regular. 
    That first time running without music is strange but is a complete game changer.

Was all lined up on the start line of my second ever marathon, my first ever trail ultra.  Off we went, 200 yards down the road, a low branch whipped my ear buds out and snapped the cable.  The thought of running without music before that point was horrific but that single run alone made me realise I didnt need music and every run after that point was without music.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

That first time running without music is strange but is a complete game changer.

Was all lined up on the start line of my second ever marathon, my first ever trail ultra.  Off we went, 200 yards down the road, a low branch whipped my ear buds out and snapped the cable.  The thought of running without music before that point was horrific but that single run alone made me realise I didnt need music and every run after that point was without music.
    Couldn’t do it. Love my music. 
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    6k in Blackheath and Greenwich Park this morning. Haven’t done 10k for ages so panicking for Regents Park 10k next week. Anyone else doing it for CATC!

Yes kimbo. Assuming we are getting running tops, it should be easy to spot each other. If not, I'll have my Team Addicks cycle top on

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Anyone brave the rain this morning? I didn't!

Only 184 at Greenwich Park Run, usually 300.
  • Options
    Ran today but seem to have plateaued/ gone backwards as a minute of my pb and can't seem to get near it.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that was interesting!!!

strangely enjoyable though, probably the friendliest Parkrun I’ve done. Course was very sodden, my foot was soaked through before I even got to the first path. 

Somehow managed to finish within 2 secs of PB. Bit gutted  knowing that as could easily have found an extra 3 seconds!
  • Options
    Ran my first Parkrun today in soggy Maidstone. What an well organised and super friendly event.

Started at the very back of the pack as the quick start court me off guard haha but managed to wind my way through and finish 82 of 289 in 24:32.

Something to build on for sure, any Kent Parkruns that are ‘must do’?
  • Options
    A wet 22:30 this morning at lancing beach. Parkrun number 97 - looking forward to the century! Hope everyone got on ok this morning. 
    We are at similar levels, well played.  I’ve broke into the 21 min barrier just twice.
  • Options
    Barcode disintegrated in my wet clothes today but strava says 24.15, happy with that. Great atmosphere despite lower numbers out today 
  • Options
    Well that was interesting!!!

strangely enjoyable though, probably the friendliest Parkrun I’ve done. Course was very sodden, my foot was soaked through before I even got to the first path. 

Somehow managed to finish within 2 secs of PB. Bit gutted  knowing that as could easily have found an extra 3 seconds!
    I've previously used that excuse between the sheets
  • Options
    DanDavis said:
    Ran my first Parkrun today in soggy Maidstone. What an well organised and super friendly event.

Started at the very back of the pack as the quick start court me off guard haha but managed to wind my way through and finish 82 of 289 in 24:32.

Lullingstone PR might slow you down a bit! Bit hilly they tell me!

Just waiting for my official timing this week, but I stopped my watch at 24:32 so a dead heat. Today I was at Corby, Northants, one of my three home runs.

• Options
    Ran on Friday after seeing back surgeon who gave me all clear. I’d bruised a vertebra and squashed another disc, causing a bit of damage to a nerve, but he said crack on, which is a relief. 
    Mrs JS ran in the rain this morning, and I’m feeling a bit guilty that I didn’t join her. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Anyone brave the rain this morning? I didn't!

there was nothing brave about it, it was an absolute delight to be out in the rain after the heat of the last week or so, I loved it
  • Options
    only 125-odd at Hilly Fields yesterday, which didn't include me as I stayed in bed.

This has started just next to the A2 at Gravesend: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/cyclopark/
  • Options
    Spotted @AFKABartram pounding the pavements in Sidcup this evening, light blue t shirt, pink / orange shorts and sunglasses, a slight to behold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol, was I going up or down? Was like Long Distance Clara across the Saraha tonight. 

MPs. Those shorts are bright red! 
  • Options
    Had a week or two off running after getting a bit of a shin splint (after cycling - weird) anyway did a Parkrun pb at Avery Hill today of 25:39 with Kev E pacing me so well pleased
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Well done @razil

had to miss today as wife booked a hair appointment at the same time. FUMING!!!

what did Kev make of Avery Hill?
  • Options
    Managed 9 miles yesterday around the outskirts of Maidstone in 1:11 (7.52 per mile), was well chuffed with myself...especially as it was pretty warm. Feeling really good about running again now.....funny how addictive it can be.
  • Options
    34.47 at Danson on saturday. Still a way to get where i want to be, but 25 Seconds better than 3 weeks before.
  • Options
    Currently on 5th or 6th week of no running...  Gave myself a sports hernia (muscle away from bone rather than a 'pop') playing Gaelic Football (I know, I know...was a work thing and was given no choice...was good fun though to be honest...) and now I'm f*cked for months. Not covered by health insurance as my company forgot to sign me up, so waiting for NHS to come to my rescue... Still have to ride to work but even walking is painful after a short while..properly fed up as was looking forward to a summer of running after spending so much time on my bike recently, and was starting to record some good times at Danson PR :-(
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Currently on 5th or 6th week of no running...  Gave myself a sports hernia (muscle away from bone rather than a 'pop') playing Gaelic Football (I know, I know...was a work thing and was given no choice...was good fun though to be honest...) and now I'm f*cked for months. Not covered by health insurance as my company forgot to sign me up, so waiting for NHS to come to my rescue... Still have to ride to work but even walking is painful after a short while..properly fed up as was looking forward to a summer of running after spending so much time on my bike recently, and was starting to record some good times at Danson PR :-(
    Sounds similar to my "minimum 6 weeks rest" the physio has put me on. I have a grade three hip adductor strain... Every time it starts to heal i get a twisted popping bubble wrap feeling followed by pain and weakness... I assumed it was healing but then last Wednesday it was like an almighty pain and now I'm on full rest.

Apparently linked to over compensation after picking up my quad strain at Brighton/London.

Don't know what to do without my daily dopamine hit!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear @charlton Charlie and @Dazzler21

hope you both heal up well
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Lullingstone is beautiful. If you like hills.

• Options
    Marshaling at Bethlem Royal Hospital tomorrow - it's a very pretty course.