Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Did the Malling Parkrun on Saturday morning, lovely couple of laps of the lake in pretty warm conditions. Only 3 Parkruns in and I'm totally hooked haha
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Have started running a bit more regularly after feeling really rough, so had a lay-off of a few months. My wife bought me a Garmin watch for birthday so have been wearing it for a few weeks. I've had a couple of 5k runs (flat course).
    27:12 (Ave heart 166 - Peak heart 178).
    24 :55 (Ave heart 178 - Peak heart 198)
    I'm curious what is the heart rates of other runners, when in full flow. I have no idea how far I can reasonably push myself. 
  • Options
    Have started running a bit more regularly after feeling really rough, so had a lay-off of a few months. My wife bought me a Garmin watch for birthday so have been wearing it for a few weeks. I've had a couple of 5k runs (flat course).
    I'm curious what is the heart rates of other runners, when in full flow. I have no idea how far I can reasonably push myself. 
    Your max heart is 220 minus your age in years.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm 48, so that would be 172??. So if I'm running at 178 average and 198 peak, am I pushing too hard for a simple 25 minutes of excercise? Any thoughts appreciated. 
  • Options
    Your ave heart rate should come down over time - as you get fitter.

I am 50 - so in theory my Max Heart rate should be 170. I can go into the 180s if I push myself - so I think the formula is only a guide.

I just did a pretty tough 6.6km trail run in the mountains, at altitude & my ave HR was 148bpm & peak at 160bpm. Most of the run was in Zone 2 - which is a good place to be for fitness.

When i got back into running, even a moderate course would have me in Z4 & Z5 for the bulk of the run - that is not the case these days.

Overall I would say that knowing your max HR is important (to be able to work out your zones), but training in the right zone is what is important.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a760176/heart-rate-training-the-basics/

• Options
    Oakster said:
    Your ave heart rate should come down over time - as you get fitter.

I am 50 - so in theory my Max Heart rate should be 170. I can go into the 180s if I push myself - so I think the formula is only a guide.

I just did a pretty tough 6.6km trail run in the mountains, at altitude & my ave HR was 148bpm & peak at 160bpm. Most of the run was in Zone 2 - which is a good place to be for fitness.

When i got back into running, even a moderate course would have me in Z4 & Z5 for the bulk of the run - that is not the case these days.

Overall I would say that knowing your max HR is important (to be able to work out your zones), but training in the right zone is what is important.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/beginners/a760176/heart-rate-training-the-basics/

Thanks for posting this link, I'm going to find it very useful
  • Options
    I'm 48, so that would be 172??. So if I'm running at 178 average and 198 peak, am I pushing too hard for a simple 25 minutes of excercise? Any thoughts appreciated. 
    the 220-age is a fairly old guideline that worked for some and not for others. It keeps being refined and the latest version is something like 206.9-(0.67xage) which would give you about 187. That will no doubt change again soon as no one seems to be able to agree on the best formula, presumably because everyone is different

whatever number you use though, the most likely explanation for you having a 198 peak hr is that your garmin is recording it wrong, that's simply far too high. assuming you have one with the optical sensor in the wrist make sure it's neither too tight or too loose, both will lead to poor readings
  • Options
    rina said:
    the 220-age is a fairly old guideline that worked for some and not for others. It keeps being refined and the latest version is something like 206.9-(0.67xage) which would give you about 187. That will no doubt change again soon as no one seems to be able to agree on the best formula, presumably because everyone is different

whatever number you use though, the most likely explanation for you having a 198 peak hr is that your garmin is recording it wrong, that's simply far too high. assuming you have one with the optical sensor in the wrist make sure it's neither too tight or too loose, both will lead to poor readings
    Optical it is. As for too tight/loose. It doesn't slide up and down wrist bit doesn't pinch either. As you say it is a guide. Probably the speed/ distance tracking is more accurate. Thanks for calculation option.  
  • Options
    scan next Thurs to tell me if/when I can start running again... hate not being able to do any exercise :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Whilst still awaiting official results I was back out to 38-odd today 😞
    Have missed it for 6-weeks though and have moved house so this was my first go of a new course. It was lovely and flat but with more than 9-times more peeps than I’m used to which meant a much much slower start/first half a lap or so...I now live in between two, so I may try the other one next week although I suspect it will be busier...
  • Options
    4 more weeks minimum til I can start to run...

This is bloody brutal.
  • Options
    45 Seconds worse than a week ago, with a catalogue of excuses but I think really that I just started too quickly

Was really friendly going around with lots of other runners offering encouragement to the likes of me that were clearly struggling
  • Options
    First run after stuffing my face on holiday... It hurt
  • Options
    First Strava 5k today after adding the app this week. 24:17 PB. Happy with that. Now wondering what I can achieve. Only got under 25 mins for first time this week after running for three years. 
  • Options
    100th parkrun today! As I’m back in Bromley for the weekend I chose my favourite course in the area - Riddlesdown. Not the fastest course but beautiful north downs scenery. Happy to dip under 23 mins this morning. 
    Love that bit round the back of the course where you're running through the trees... Didn't like the laps when I did it though! 

Was my first sub 21 park run years ago.
  • Options
    That's still something to be proud of @el-pietro
  • Options
    Running Hyde Park 10k for the trust 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A shade over 27 Mon today, so a fair bit bit faster than recently. Felt good as well, good strong finish.

I signed up for the Chelmsford 10k in November, need to start going for some longer runs. Tried some of those "fartleks" or whatever they are called, when you jog slowly for a couple of mins, then speed up for the next two... Might need to build these up, near as hell killed me. Had to walk home making a sound like a seagull that has been forced into a set of bagpipes
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    A shade over 27 Mon today, so a fair bit bit faster than recently. Felt good as well, good strong finish.

I signed up for the Chelmsford 10k in November, need to start going for some longer runs. Tried some of those "fartleks" or whatever they are called, when you jog slowly for a couple of mins, then speed up for the next two... Might need to build these up, near as hell killed me. Had to walk home making a sound like a seagull that has been forced into a set of bagpipes
    Runners world has excellent training plans for all distances and levels mate
  • Options
    Back to the fast course of lancing beach. Struggled a bit as I’m not running much during the week so an ok 22:45. A minute slower than earlier in the year when training regularly. Hope everyone got on well this morning. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Runners world has excellent training plans for all distances and levels mate
    Cheers fella. Probably need to put a bit more thought into it than "I'll just peg it for a bit"
  • Options
    A nice solid 34.31 at Hilly Fields this morning.

Did Mole Valley parkrun last week - it's through the Denbies vineyard off the A24 at Dorking. Wonderful views, basically up and down a big hill so don't go expecting a PB. Very tough, but the scenery takes your mind off the slog/ the fact you've walked half of it. Worth a visit.
  • Options
    A nice solid 34.31 at Hilly Fields this morning.

Did Mole Valley parkrun last week - it's through the Denbies vineyard off the A24 at Dorking. Wonderful views, basically up and down a big hill so don't go expecting a PB. Very tough, but the scenery takes your mind off the slog/ the fact you've walked half of it. Worth a visit.
    Mole Valley is awesome but so tough, I really enjoyed the downhill half. My friend was 1st female there today in 19:32
  • Options
    Me and Kev added Dartford Central Park to our Parkrun tour, very nice. Quite a few local ones still to add, might add a Norfolk one too in a few weeks
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    4 more weeks minimum til I can start to run...

This is bloody brutal.
    3 more weeks minimum.