Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    32.35 in the Bethlem bog.  First time I have taken a bar code and my worst time!
  • Options
    297 of us plodding round Avery Hill park. Took over a minute off my last few runs so happy with that. 

First time using my Garmin watch. Discovered my Ave heart rate was 176bpm and my Max was 194.

43 years old, is that about right during activity or should this be yet another thing to worry about? 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    297 of us plodding round Avery Hill park. Took over a minute off my last few runs so happy with that. 

First time using my Garmin watch. Discovered my Ave heart rate was 176bpm and my Max was 194.

43 years old, is that about right during activity or should this be yet another thing to worry about? 
    back in the groove after a lull of just under 3 weeks so a slow social one for me today around Danson. 

@AFKABartram does this mean you are finally on Strava?
  • Options

it's not really a stat to take in isolation as heart rate is quite personal. if those were my heart rates I'd be a bit worried as I know I'm generally much lower than that but for you it could be absolutely fine. keep an eye on the numbers over time and worry if you get a significant increase.

resting heart rate is the more important metric and the one to keep an eye on if you really want to know how you're going
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The free Fitbit app does a vo2 score - maximum amount of oxygen your body can use in exercise - for Cardio fitness, I think that tells you how efficiently you’re system, heart and lungs are at using oxygen. It takes into account weight, age, height, resting heart rate and peak, and pace. It then tells you if that’s good for your age or not. A few months back I got up to 49.5 which is excellent (Above 49.4) and the fittest I’ve ever been I’m sure although annoyingly as I’ve put on a few pounds I’ve slipped back to 45 which is still very good for my age apparently. Not sure if there are equivalents with Garmin etc but I would imagine so. Of course the fitter you get the less hard your heart has to work so resting rate will drop and maybe peak too although you could just go faster.

On a separate note, I read some interesting research recently on body warming to help with blood sugar etc could be other benefits too, so I might start upping my distance a bit to 10k and do more cycle commuting, an hour is supposed to be optimal. The alternative is apparently having hot baths, but an hour doing that for me at least, is quite challenging - I’m sure some of the wits on here may have different views on that.

• Options
    Is there a CharltonLife running group on Strava?
  • Options
    Not ran since January when I tore my meniscus, finally had the op Monday to repair the tear so hopefully I can get back to parkrun in about 6 weeks, very much doubt I will get round without stopping but looking forward to getting out again.
  • Options
    yes although I think its mainly about cycling
  • Options
    There is, its called Charlton Life - Runners
  • Options
    razil said:
    The free Fitbit app does a vo2 score - maximum amount of oxygen your body can use in exercise - for Cardio fitness, I think that tells you how efficiently you’re system, heart and lungs are at using oxygen. It takes into account weight, age, height, resting heart rate and peak, and pace. It then tells you if that’s good for your age or not. A few months back I got up to 49.5 which is excellent (Above 49.4) and the fittest I’ve ever been I’m sure although annoyingly as I’ve put on a few pounds I’ve slipped back to 45 which is still very good for my age apparently. Not sure if there are equivalents with Garmin etc but I would imagine so. Of course the fitter you get the less hard your heart has to work so resting rate will drop and maybe peak too although you could just go faster.

On a separate note, I read some interesting research recently on body warming to help with blood sugar etc could be other benefits too, so I might start upping my distance a bit to 10k and do more cycle commuting, an hour is supposed to be optimal. The alternative is apparently having hot baths, but an hour doing that for me at least, is quite challenging - I’m sure some of the wits on here may have different views on that.

Garmin has the same on Garmin Connect. I'm currently at 50 which I'm happy with considering my running is the worst and my weight the highest they've been since 2011
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful run after foot injury and carry to much timber. Good fun though and good to be back running.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Given your maximum heart rate should be around 220-age (43) which means you should be maxing at around 176. This is only a guide, some watches also take a few runs to balance out. See where it is in 3-5 runs and you should have a better idea.
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    Can’t find it. Can someone send me the link. I will be slowest!
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    Numbers said:
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/CharltonLifeRunners
  • Options
    This one is not just runners, join both
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    kimbo said:
    Numbers said:
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/CharltonLifeRunners
    Thanks. You are all so fast!
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    This one is not just runners, join both
    Cheers!!
  • Options
    27.5 mins for me, not bad as muddy and I've got a cold. Didn't drink the night before which probably helped!

Just had a look at Garmin connect... Said my VO2 max is currently 43 but has been a point or two higher. This is in the second worse "fair" category, so room for improvement. Not sure how accurate the heart monitor (forerunner 235) is but I'm sure it isn't terrible. 
  • Options
    Also seems my average resting heart rate in high 60s. I've always had a high pulse so this isnt unexpected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aiming to not drink NYE and do the Parkrun ‘double’ on NYD. 

Anyone else done the NYD double before? What’s your tactics been? Do you run your normal run first and then just hope you’ve enough in the tank to run the second similar, or do you take something off your first one? 

Planning to do Avery Hill at 9 and Danson at 10.30. 

• Options
    Is there a list that shows which courses are changing their times?
    My local one is a poopster on the socials whereas some (like Clapham are all over it)
  • Options

Fumbluff said:
    Is there a list that shows which courses are changing their times?
    My local one is a poopster on the socials whereas some (like Clapham are all over it)
    https://www.parkrun.org.uk/special-events/

• Options
    Hoping to do Danson 10.30, on NYD , will look out for you AFKA. 
  • Options
    Page for planning doubles http://tailrun.uk/nyd/2020/
  • Options
    Aiming to not drink NYE and do the Parkrun ‘double’ on NYD. 

Anyone else done the NYD double before? What’s your tactics been? Do you run your normal run first and then just hope you’ve enough in the tank to run the second similar, or do you take something off your first one? 

Planning to do Avery Hill at 9 and Danson at 10.30. 

That double would be better the other way round so you don't get muddy first

I normally just jog round both and enjoy it
  • Options
    Run both as hard as you are able to complete them... 
  • Options
    cheers, looks like a bit of a challenge geographically....
  • Options
    I’m happy to drive any lifers from Avery Hill to Danson (and then back to civilisation) if that would help anyone
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I’m happy to drive any lifers from Avery Hill to Danson (and then back to civilisation) if that would help anyone
    That’s really kind. We are going to Swansea in NYD is that too far?