Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Well done @InspectorSands thats a great achievement.

and well done @McBobbin a fantastic PB at a time when courses are sticky. It’s a great feeling when you PB and I find the pacers a massive help. 

Im over a minute off my Pb at the moment but enjoyed my run today even if I did struggle badly with the last 1/2 mile.

Well done @charlton charlie getting back out the and well done @DaveStorry for getting out. 

418 at Avery Hill, 554 at Danson, 82 at Foots Cray.

Anyone else get out this morning? What courses?
  • Options
    Was back at my normal Crystal Palace on sat. Targetting an overall PB at the very flat and fast Dulwich in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Anyone take their kids to junior parkrun?

Many people there run with their kids or just leave them to it? 
  • Options

Lots do.  I think if they are under 11 you need to run with them though.
  • Options
    Taking two of mine to Tilgate tomorrow. Aged 18 and 21 so they probably don’t consider themselves kids anymore. I’ll be eating their dust rather than running with them. 
  • Options
    Just started reading an excellent book that the best runner in my club recommended.  He swears by it and does silly times.  

It's called 80/20 running and it's about making 80% of your training runs slow (i.e. slower than you would jog normally) as apparently it builds your endurance and is better than moderate to high intensity.

Anyone read it and used it for training?  
  • Options

Lots do.  I think if they are under 11 you need to run with them though.
    Thanks. 
  • Options

See the Junior Parkrun code here. I think adults just don’t go through the finish funnel

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/205630582-The-junior-parkrun-code
  • Options
    Anyone doing Avery Hill tomorrow give me a shout, be good to say hello 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Done it at Crystal Palace a couple of times and most kids have an adult with them.  I guess from about 8/9+ they could and do run on their own.  They do 2kms
  • Options
    Take my two to junior parkrun. The 8 year old runs on her own, and the 5 year old runs with me... Just split towards the end so you aren't timed. Some kids are lightning fast
  • Options
    Just started reading an excellent book that the best runner in my club recommended.  He swears by it and does silly times.  

It's called 80/20 running and it's about making 80% of your training runs slow (i.e. slower than you would jog normally) as apparently it builds your endurance and is better than moderate to high intensity.

Anyone read it and used it for training?  
    Not heard of this, but had read something about mixing your training, so you have short tempo runs, with sprinty bits, and long runs where you can talk without struggling in terms of intensity. I think the long runs build endurance, the hard ones improve your ability to withstand lactic acid... And I think sprints do something else to get your body working. 

I'm sure someone less vague who knows what they are talking about can correct me!
  • Options
    Ran a Parkrun PB at Maidstone on the 4th...23:11 (1.20 quicker than my NYD run on the same course 3 days earlier!)

Need to crack the sub 23 minute next 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Worst run I’ve ever had this morning. Breathing was struggling and had to walk for two mins after 2 miles to get it back to norm. Then jogged the last mile feeling sorry for myself and hoping a substitute board would be held up with my number:-( 

I blame the lack of meat
  • Options
    Gotta say today was a struggle for me too. Two minutes less than last week, and my lungs hurt and my legs were like lead. Did a 6k run on Thursday probably to blame, as it was good running weather today.

The only thing I've dropped is drinking! Feel a lot better for it as well
  • Options
    Worst run I’ve ever had this morning. Breathing was struggling and had to walk for two mins after 2 miles to get it back to norm. Then jogged the last mile feeling sorry for myself and hoping a substitute board would be held up with my number:-( 

I blame the lack of meat
    Probably more the lack of calories. My running has suffered so far this month also. 

Can only blame the Veganism as that's the only change I've made.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I assumed I was trying to go too fast but checking my splits after I was running at exactly the same pace I was last week, and that was over a minute off PB. Just felt a lot weaker. Think I just need to stop trying to run to exhaustion and just enjoy it 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I blame the lack of meat
    Probably more the lack of calories. My running has suffered so far this month also. 

Doubt it is lack of calories, it is only a 3 mile run, probably more psychological. My advice to anyone is to start slower than normal then try to go slightly quicker each km.  Do not try for a pb every week, but when you do, do at least a mile warm up beforehand, I do 2 miles before when really going for it, you need to get the lungs going.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    When you say before @Numbers how long before? 

I generally do a very gentle 3-4 mins jogging about 15 mins before, then 5 mins of stretching. When I start running my breathing is fine but between 10-15 mins my breathing changes rapidly, my HR is up to 190+ and then I’m blowing out my arse for the remainder. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I time my warm up so I don't cool down too much before the start. and also my warm up pace is quite a bit slower than parkrun pace. I am used to running a lot further which helped me improve my parkrun times a few years ago. In fact I got my pb a couple of months are running a marathon, so i'd say if you get used to running 6,7 then 8 miles eventually you will be much stronger for the 3 mile burst that is parkrun. 
  • Options
    Weight is a major factor also though, the more I lost the faster I got
  • Options
    Cheers Numbers
  • Options

See the Junior Parkrun code here. I think adults just don’t go through the finish funnel

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/205630582-The-junior-parkrun-code
    Yeah - running into the funnel with the kids is an absolute no-no, because it messes with the timekeeping. I help at Hilly Fields juniors sometimes and loads of parents run with their kids, usually the smaller ones - you get the odd pushy berk every now and then, but the parents generally enjoy themselves too. There's always a tail walker so you'll never be last, and there are more marshals than at adult ones, so the whole course is watched. I'm down to help out at Eltham Park juniors on the 26th, so I'm expecting to see lots of Charlton tops there!
  • Options
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I blame the lack of meat

Doubt it is lack of calories, it is only a 3 mile run, probably more psychological. My advice to anyone is to start slower than normal then try to go slightly quicker each km.  Do not try for a pb every week, but when you do, do at least a mile warm up beforehand, I do 2 miles before when really going for it, you need to get the lungs going.
     I don't run park runs often but I'm a pretty keen runner. Since 1st January my runs have steadily slowed. I run between 15 and 30 miles a week so know my pace and ability pretty well.

The only change is my diet. I've gone in 2 weeks from being able to comfortably run an easy 10k in 48 minutes to this week struggling to run 5/6k feeling like I'm really pushing it.

My nutrition other than calories has been closely monitored and as a result my body fat is falling (as is muscle mass at a slower rate I can thank the lower protein for that). Therefore I must assume it's the reduction in calories that is making such a difference to my running.

I'm not worried. Just an interesting twist so far.

• Options
    Was out this morning with @Hillsys Up and @DaveStorry at Danson...3rd parkrun of the year and my 3rd since my 5 month lay off...not fast at all (and started near the back), but bloomin loved it...felt 'good' for the first lap as I passed a lot of people but then hanging on in there for the last lap...found myself running with a bloke for the last 1km or so and we edged each other on to a sprint finish ...I could hardly stand at the end and couldn't see a thing as my head was spinning...surprised I didn't cartwheel over the line as was sure I was going to lose my footing..  Anyway, love it but hernias giving me all sorts of grief now (and this is after surgery :-( .. )  Onwards and upwards...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Numbers said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I blame the lack of meat

I don't run park runs often but I'm a pretty keen runner. Since 1st January my runs have steadily slowed. I run between 15 and 30 miles a week so know my pace and ability pretty well.

The only change is my diet. I've gone in 2 weeks from being able to comfortably run an easy 10k in 48 minutes to this week struggling to run 5/6k feeling like I'm really pushing it.

My nutrition other than calories has been closely monitored and as a result my body fat is falling (as is muscle mass at a slower rate I can thank the lower protein for that). Therefore I must assume it's the reduction in calories that is making such a difference to my running.

I'm not worried. Just an interesting twist so far.

I was really trying to advise AFKA as I follow you on Strava I know you are a more experienced runner. Everyone is different so fuelling, hydration etc. will differ for everyone. For me, I will never fuel before a long run, for parkrun I'd have just cereal and a cup of tea 2 hours before. Your situation over last 2 weeks seems strange, are you comparing runs at the same time of the day? For me,  I feel much better running in the morning than the evening.
  • Options
    Had to drive this morning, car park is all frozen up...can’t see this ending well or cleanly....
  • Options
    Did South Norwood Park this morning in 28mins. Felt really good and strong but the cold with a slippery surface and Charlton connections means I come away with a calf strain which I suspect will sideline me for a few weeks
      Gutted as last two runs felt really good and we're not tiring me out for the day.