Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• "I voted leave, because the EU had some legislation that was good for some workers but I didn't like it, despite there being provision for me to opt out of it for as long as I wanted".
  • For the most part I think this is true. Who in their right mind is going to admit even to themselves that they were duped and based their vote decision on lies and misinformation by crooks and charlatans and didn’t feel the need to look at the expert opinion which was readily available.

You would have to be stupid wouldn’t you ?
    Never seen any of those ads......sorry to disappoint you but I can honestly day I was not swayed by any ad compaign, red battle bus or pollster.

I am 51 years old. I didn't just decide in 2016 to vote leave. I have grown up with the "Common Market" and the ever convergence into a single European state. First there was the common agriculture & fisheries policy, then pints into litres, then pegging £ to the DM, then the Euro (which we sensibly kept out of) and now the powers that be in Brussels want more convergence.

I just don't want it. I have never liked the idea of being part of Europe. Obviously we trade with them & they are our biggest market.....doesn't mean we have to be a part of it.
    Golfie.... Much easier to say you didn't know what you were voting for, otherwise the majority of this lot won't believe you as your answer doesn't fit their narrative.

I had similar views to you but one the final straws was the working time directive, cost me thousands of pounds as my company wouldn't opt out initially and in my industry you have no choice otherwise you leave things unsafe. Plus the British government opt out view was opposed by some of our EU 'friends'..
    Chippy please explain how the Working Time Directive has cost you money. This is legislation to stop people working more than 48 hours a week (nearly 10 hours a day) without their written consent.

I have done so in several companies, the hours over 35/37.5 being totally unpaid. Never offered or signed a waiver. I believe the Brits still work the longest hours in Europe. If it is an issue with you, I'm glad I don't work in your company.
    When the WRT came in I was a plant manager who maintained important plant and process equipment which had to be done at weekends to prevent downtime...

The company in its wisdom despite knowing that this work could not be done at any other time, except midweek when they would lose productivity used this tool to cut our weekend overtime. We asked if we could sign OPT out forms as some of our contractors did they said no...

So I lost money by not working overtime. They were more than happy before this foolish directive came in.

The legislation was good for some workers (particularly low paid who were exploited) but not all for people like myself...
    Sounds like poor management rather than a fundamental flaw with the legislation or the body that brought it in. Opt outs were as you say available.
  • For the most part I think this is true. Who in their right mind is going to admit even to themselves that they were duped and based their vote decision on lies and misinformation by crooks and charlatans and didn’t feel the need to look at the expert opinion which was readily available.

Never seen any of those ads......sorry to disappoint you but I can honestly day I was not swayed by any ad compaign, red battle bus or pollster.

I am 51 years old. I didn't just decide in 2016 to vote leave. I have grown up with the "Common Market" and the ever convergence into a single European state. First there was the common agriculture & fisheries policy, then pints into litres, then pegging £ to the DM, then the Euro (which we sensibly kept out of) and now the powers that be in Brussels want more convergence.

I just don't want it. I have never liked the idea of being part of Europe. Obviously we trade with them & they are our biggest market.....doesn't mean we have to be a part of it.
    Golfie.... Much easier to say you didn't know what you were voting for, otherwise the majority of this lot won't believe you as your answer doesn't fit their narrative.

I had similar views to you but one the final straws was the working time directive, cost me thousands of pounds as my company wouldn't opt out initially and in my industry you have no choice otherwise you leave things unsafe. Plus the British government opt out view was opposed by some of our EU 'friends'..
    Chippy please explain how the Working Time Directive has cost you money. This is legislation to stop people working more than 48 hours a week (nearly 10 hours a day) without their written consent.

I have done so in several companies, the hours over 35/37.5 being totally unpaid. Never offered or signed a waiver. I believe the Brits still work the longest hours in Europe. If it is an issue with you, I'm glad I don't work in your company.
    When the WRT came in I was a plant manager who maintained important plant and process equipment which had to be done at weekends to prevent downtime...

The company in its wisdom despite knowing that this work could not be done at any other time, except midweek when they would lose productivity used this tool to cut our weekend overtime. We asked if we could sign OPT out forms as some of our contractors did they said no...

So I lost money by not working overtime. They were more than happy before this foolish directive came in.

The legislation was good for some workers (particularly low paid who were exploited) but not all for people like myself...
    Bloody EU, introducing directives that protect the low paid from exploitative employers! The complete bastards...
    The primary reason for the WTD is health and safety.
  • edited July 2018

For the most part I think this is true. Who in their right mind is going to admit even to themselves that they were duped and based their vote decision on lies and misinformation by crooks and charlatans and didn’t feel the need to look at the expert opinion which was readily available.

So this was down the intrangience of your employers, not any EU legislation. As a worker using your plant I would be extremely reluctant to use it if I knew you had been working a 10 hour day to maintain it.

So this was down the intrangience of your employers, not any EU legislation. As a worker using your plant I would be extremely reluctant to use it if I knew you had been working a 10 hour day to maintain it.
    Its what you have staff for.
  • McBobbin said:

For the most part I think this is true. Who in their right mind is going to admit even to themselves that they were duped and based their vote decision on lies and misinformation by crooks and charlatans and didn’t feel the need to look at the expert opinion which was readily available.

Sounds like poor management rather than a fundamental flaw with the legislation or the body that brought it in. Opt outs were as you say available.
    We managed extremely well before this was brought in, plus those guys that didn't work the weekends anymore just got weekend jobs elsewhere...Plus we were quite capable of managing their life time balance thanks.

Bloody EU, introducing directives that protect the low paid from exploitative employers! The complete bastards...
    Agreed..on board at last.

Me, me, me ?

Do plant managers get paid overtime ? Hmmmm.

How bizarre..
  • McBobbin said:

We managed extremely well before this was brought in, plus those guys that didn't work the weekends anymore just got weekend jobs elsewhere...Plus we were quite capable of managing their life time balance thanks.
    So whose decision was it to not offer opt outs?
  • I’ve said many times on this thread that one of the astonishing things has been the lack of a shift from people who voted Brexit towards a soft Brexit/remain position.

These polls might suggest that I’m wrong and that shift is actually starting to happen

https://news.sky.com/story/public-opinion-is-shifting-sharply-against-brexit-sky-data-poll-reveals-11453220
  • Sponsored links:

• I started my personal Brexit prepping this morning. I plan to buy one non-perishable item for my Brexshit Reserve Bank every time I go to the shops between now and fiasco day on 29th March. Thanks to my forward thinking I've already got a tin of tomatoes and by the time we encounter supply-chain meltdown I should have enough consumables to keep a family of four going for about three days. I just hope it doesn't turn out like a scene from Survivors, I'd hate to have to lynch anyone just to warn people off of looting my stash.
  • se9addick said:

I’ve said many times on this thread that one of the astonishing things has been the lack of a shift from people who voted Brexit towards a soft Brexit/remain position.

These polls might suggest that I’m wrong and that shift is actually starting to happen

https://news.sky.com/story/public-opinion-is-shifting-sharply-against-brexit-sky-data-poll-reveals-11453220

What is most amazing of all is the 10% who think the Government is doing a good job on Brexit. I mean who are these people? Who is responsible for letting them out of the asylum?
  • se9addick said:

I’ve said many times on this thread that one of the astonishing things has been the lack of a shift from people who voted Brexit towards a soft Brexit/remain position.

What is most amazing of all is the 10% who think the Government is doing a good job on Brexit. I mean who are these people? Who is responsible for letting them out of the asylum?
    This is the 10% of the population who use the phrase "I'm not being funny, but" upwards of three times a day
  • se9addick said:

It was 23% four months ago, at this rate it will be in minus figures by Christmas.
  • Stig said:

I started my personal Brexit prepping this morning. I plan to buy one non-perishable item for my Brexshit Reserve Bank every time I go to the shops between now and fiasco day on 29th March. Thanks to my forward thinking I've already got a tin of tomatoes and by the time we encounter supply-chain meltdown I should have enough consumables to keep a family of four going for about three days. I just hope it doesn't turn out like a scene from Survivors, I'd hate to have to lynch anyone just to warn people off of looting my stash.

emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/

In all seriousness, if the government of one the richest countries in the world is making preparations for food shortages it does make some sense to stick an extra tin or two in the basket every week between now and then.

It only takes a few inches of snow to cause a run on our shops and if things pan out as they are looking with a cliff edge Brexit and miles of queues at the ports on day one then we could be in for a very rough ride next April.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

It was 23% four months ago, at this rate it will be in minus figures by Christmas.
    Yeah but it is still the will of the people.
  • I think we need a Brexit armistice, where people can confidentially hand in there leave vote with no repercussions or ridicule. It will be as if their vote never actually existed.
  • se9addick said:

They're the ones blaming Remainers, Barnier, the Gaurdian, Diane Abbot, Uncle Tom Cobley and all for the lack of anything approaching a satisfactory resolution.

If only we'd all get behind Boris and Moggy's vision...
  • But Boris and Mogg don't think the government are doing a good job on Brexit- I've seen them say it on TV? So who are these 10% who think they are doing a good job? Have they allowed chimps to be surveyed?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018

But Boris and Mogg don't think the government are doing a good job on Brexit- I've seen them say it on TV? So who are these 10% who think they are doing a good job? Have they allowed chimps to be surveyed?<</b>

It would be a step in the right direction. Not daft those chimps.

• First two speech bubbles should be the other way around?
  • se9addick said:

The numbers on a straight forward Brexit poll are still very similar to June 2016 with Remain edging ahead. The poll you link to is talking to a different question - all about how well the government are doing and how well the country will do. I suggest that we need another two quarters of this shambles before we see a shift.

On 10th August the ONS will release Q2 GDP numbers. If these are not good then forecasts for 2018 as well as government revenues might be downgraded. The Brexit "dividend" is evaporating as City based institutions move c.10% of their operations into the EU27.

What is very clear is that the drive for a second referendum is gaining momentum. If that were a three way choice between an EU agreement on Brexit, no deal or remain then remain would probably win. This after one of the other two options came last. The Tories don't believe in that option but Labour voters do.

So the question is what might change to bring a second referendum about? The bookmakers make 2019 to be the favourite year for the next election.

• How is euro atom and security going to be effected then.
  • Get on lbc now.... Chat about o brien and mandelson tossing each other off this morning.
  • How is euro atom and security going to be effected then.

Ffs.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!