Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Missed It said:

Stig said:

I wouldn't hang a bloke out to dry on the basis of one slip of the tongue. With one exception, when Cameron made his West Ham gaffe - I truly believe that something more insidious was going on there. I think Hunt's explanation that they'd been talking in Japanese is fair - in fact, kudos to the man, i never imagined he was that clever. Embarrassing? Yes. End of the world? No. In any case there are far worse things to be annoyed with Hunt about.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is over there. China and Korea will use WWII as a stick to beat Japan with for all eternity. For that matter, Japan still has major discrimination issues with Korea and China too.

Hunt mistaking his wife for the mortal enemy will have gone down like a cup of cold sick with his hosts.
    Japan accepting what They did during ww2 would be a start.

The massacre museum in Nanjing changed my life.
    The Chinese government may be on slightly firmer moral ground on these massacre type issues if it were not for the rather unfortunate events at Tiananmen Square.

Teaching kids to hate the Japanese for events that took place in 1938 is a great way of continuing the enmity but not that clever in terms of healing the wounds with a near neighbour.

To be fair though it’s a good way of distracting people the fact that Japan is a functioning, open democracy where people are free to say and do whatever they like - even about the government - whereas the Chinese are most certainly not.
    I couldn't agree more, on all 3 points!
  • Mrs Plum is in Beijing at the moment, I spoke to her this morning, and from what I can gather the Chinese feel a degree of distain for Hunt, not because of the Japanese thing per se, but because he is married to a Chinese woman from Xian, with three children I believe, and yet it was in regard to who she is that he messed up.
    He will not be taken very seriously because of it, and in the future Chinese regard for the credibility of Hunt will be low. If Hunt is to regain some standing with the Chinese he has some climbing back to do with a very suspicious audience.
  • Missed It said:

Stig said:

I wouldn't hang a bloke out to dry on the basis of one slip of the tongue. With one exception, when Cameron made his West Ham gaffe - I truly believe that something more insidious was going on there. I think Hunt's explanation that they'd been talking in Japanese is fair - in fact, kudos to the man, i never imagined he was that clever. Embarrassing? Yes. End of the world? No. In any case there are far worse things to be annoyed with Hunt about.

Unfortunately, that's the way it is over there. China and Korea will use WWII as a stick to beat Japan with for all eternity. For that matter, Japan still has major discrimination issues with Korea and China too.

Hunt mistaking his wife for the mortal enemy will have gone down like a cup of cold sick with his hosts.

The Chinese government may be on slightly firmer moral ground on these massacre type issues if it were not for the rather unfortunate events at Tiananmen Square.

Teaching kids to hate the Japanese for events that took place in 1938 is a great way of continuing the enmity but not that clever in terms of healing the wounds with a near neighbour.

To be fair though it’s a good way of distracting people the fact that Japan is a functioning, open democracy where people are free to say and do whatever they like - even about the government - whereas the Chinese are most certainly not.
    Nail on head - top post.
  • edited July 2018
    Stig said:

Yeah, I tend to agree tbh and we've all had brain freezes and said stupid things I'm sure. Fortunately I'm not the country's top diplomat and Foreign Secretary on a mission to butter up one of the planet's largest economies though.

• seth plum said:

Mrs Plum is in Beijing at the moment, I spoke to her this morning, and from what I can gather the Chinese feel a degree of distain for Hunt, not because of the Japanese thing per se, but because he is married to a Chinese woman from Xian, with three children I believe, and yet it was in regard to who she is that he messed up.
    He will not be taken very seriously because of it, and in the future Chinese regard for the credibility of Hunt will be low. If Hunt is to regain some standing with the Chinese he has some climbing back to do with a very suspicious audience.

You mean, it's the fact that it was his wife that it was so bad, or is it something to do with who his wife is?
  • se9addick said:

I’m not even sure how it was possible to get your wife’s nationality mixed up.

It’s astonishing isn’t it.

Mind you having worked in the Health Service under Hunts time as Health Minister absolutely nothing the man says or does would surprise me.

• Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Stig said:

You're right. Japan could certainly fix a lot of the bad feeling. While those in power are aligned with Nippon Kaigi and the Yasukuni Shrine includes convicted war criminals it's not going to happen though.

I didn't get to the Nanjing Massacre museum when we were there, which is something I regret. We ended up climbing the million stairs to Sun Yat Sen's tomb instead.
    On a side note I went for a swim in the natural pool near there. I am very hairy (body) and had children running away in tears and young women nearly feinting (it wasn't swooning). I could have cleaned up as a circus act.

My head was also do big to fit the mandatory cap on so I sort of had that look of having an inflated condom on my head.

It was about 20 years ago so hopefully more westerners have turned up in Nanjing since.
    Holy shit

• McBobbin said:

seth plum said:

Mrs Plum is in Beijing at the moment, I spoke to her this morning, and from what I can gather the Chinese feel a degree of distain for Hunt, not because of the Japanese thing per se, but because he is married to a Chinese woman from Xian, with three children I believe, and yet it was in regard to who she is that he messed up.

You mean, it's the fact that it was his wife that it was so bad, or is it something to do with who his wife is?
    The slip up about who his wife actually is (Chinese from Xian), rather than it is disrespectful because it is his wife.
    I think the Chinese expect a senior politician to not make that kind of pretty raw gaff.
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Stig said:

You're right. Japan could certainly fix a lot of the bad feeling. While those in power are aligned with Nippon Kaigi and the Yasukuni Shrine includes convicted war criminals it's not going to happen though.

I didn't get to the Nanjing Massacre museum when we were there, which is something I regret. We ended up climbing the million stairs to Sun Yat Sen's tomb instead.
    On a side note I went for a swim in the natural pool near there. I am very hairy (body) and had children running away in tears and young women nearly feinting (it wasn't swooning). I could have cleaned up as a circus act.

My head was also do big to fit the mandatory cap on so I sort of had that look of having an inflated condom on my head.

It was about 20 years ago so hopefully more westerners have turned up in Nanjing since.
    I'm not even hairy but still make jaws drop when I go to a hot spring / spa.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

McBobbin said:

seth plum said:

The slip up about who his wife actually is (Chinese from Xian), rather than it is disrespectful because it is his wife.
    I think the Chinese expect a senior politician to not make that kind of pretty raw gaff.
    Does the “from Xian” bit have any additional relevance? I don’t know anything about Chinese culture so just trying to understand if that is the point that you are making?
  • se9addick said:

seth plum said:

McBobbin said:

seth plum said:

Does the “from Xian” bit have any additional relevance? I don’t know anything about Chinese culture so just trying to understand if that is the point that you are making?
    Xian produces the best bread in China, but I doubt that's at all relevant.
  • The Love Island contestants are apparently due to take charge of Brexit negotiations. Juncker has refused to speak to May until she ups her Twitter following.
  • I like a nice cultural exchange, especially on this of all threads. It feels metaphorical somehow
  • Missed It said:

Stig said:

I couldn't agree more, on all 3 points!
    And that was the last post Stu ever made on here ;-)
  • se9addick said:

seth plum said:

McBobbin said:

seth plum said:

Well I mention it because the Chinese are aware that Xian is a long way from Tokyo, it is closer to Tiawan, and you have Korea between Xian and Japan. Xian is about 1800 miles from Tokyo.
    If your partner was from Madrid it would be strange to suddenly say they were from Helsinki.
    I think Hunt was conversing in English and maybe in his mind 'Xian' sounded similar to 'Japan' and it came out because of that.
    I don't think the Chinese would be impressed with him, and he looks poor in their eyes, but then again so did Boris.
  • He also looks bad in their eyes because he's a ****
  • And how is Jeremy Hunt's Freudian slip anything to do with the EU ????

CL thread goes off topic...... shock.
  • And how is Jeremy Hunt's Freudian slip anything to do with the EU ????

He's there presumably to discuss trade deals post brexit. His Freudian slip won't help.

Tenuous link but the best I can do!
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Stig said:

You must be either ginger or ripped then.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

And how is Jeremy Hunt's Freudian slip anything to do with the EU ????

He's there presumably to discuss trade deals post brexit. His Freudian slip won't help.

Tenuous link but the best I can do!
    This is the point. The UK wants to strengthen links with China, especially with the no deal brexit soon to happen, and Hunt is sent there as an example of a UK politician holding one of the four major offices of state.
    He was actually in a meeting with the Chinese foreign minister talking about his 'knowledge' of China, so in that context his gaffe was especially bad.
    The national Chinese language, Mandarin, depends a lot on the people in a conversation being aware of context, it is a function of the linguistic structure.
    At the most shallow level it may be that somebody somewhere thought it would be a good idea to shove the new Foreign Secretary to China, because having a Chinese wife it should be a breeze for him, but in Chinese diplomatic and political circles they have a lot of focus on substance rather than how it is dressed up.
  • se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Anyway, the main man, the hero of the hour, the architect is helping to steer us through the choppy waters that lie ahead

Ha, he’s absolutely clueless - and to think how many lemmings followed him off the cliff!
    “We’ll just get more vets”

• Missed It said:

Stig said:

Common sense among the drama queens.
    Well said, Orms.

I remember visiting the site of one of the many many Chinese atrocities which took place in the Korean War. They strung up three British Marines by their ankles and skinned them alive from their feet down.

Today nearly 30 years after Tianmen, many Internet searches on the event are still blocked in China.

Let's not mention the airports they are building in disputed territories, or the threats to any shipping passing near their expanded territories.
  • Ah well, if we want back on topic, how about the leaked reports from Dover District Council and Kent County Council about the impact on Dover and the M20 of a no deal scenario? Basically an enhanced version of Operation Stack called Operation Brock likely to be in place until 2023 at the earliest is the big headline issue, but there's a bunch of other stuff that's also a concern.
    https://news.sky.com/story/13-mile-lorry-park-may-last-many-years-after-brexit-impact-reports-reveal-11454991
  • Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Stig said:

You must be either ginger or ripped then.
    Ginger
  • Just seen the tragic new about shortage of Vets,
    caused by Brexit, must now think about voting Remain.
    Don't have any pets, dont want any but this will defo
    sway me! Stupid bird1
  • Just seen the tragic new about shortage of Vets,
    caused by Brexit, must now think about voting Remain.
    Don't have any pets, dont want any but this will defo
    sway me! Stupid bird1

Do you think the fact that we will not be able to export livestock, due to having insufficient vets, might be a problem for farmers?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!