Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Anyway, the main man, the hero of the hour, the architect is helping to steer us through the choppy waters that lie ahead

Ha, he’s absolutely clueless - and to think how many lemmings followed him off the cliff!
    Sadly, the answer looks like being all of us.
  • Chizz said:

Just seen the tragic new about shortage of Vets,
    caused by Brexit, must now think about voting Remain.
    Don't have any pets, dont want any but this will defo
    sway me! Stupid bird1

Do you think the fact that we will not be able to export livestock, due to having insufficient vets, might be a problem for farmers?
    How many animals do we export? I thought we were a massive food importer?
  • Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

Do you think the fact that we will not be able to export livestock, due to having insufficient vets, might be a problem for farmers?
    Thousands. Sheep mainly. But also non-food animal exports.
  • se9addick said:

Stig said:

I wouldn't hang a bloke out to dry on the basis of one slip of the tongue. With one exception, when Cameron made his West Ham gaffe - I truly believe that something more insidious was going on there. I think Hunt's explanation that they'd been talking in Japanese is fair - in fact, kudos to the man, i never imagined he was that clever. Embarrassing? Yes. End of the world? No. In any case there are far worse things to be annoyed with Hunt about.

I like the idea of something insidious being behind the West Ham gaffe - what’s your thinking?
    For me there's too much recent history between the Conservative Government and those in control of West Ham United. Much of it absolutely sticks in the craw and none of it makes any sense without thinking the worst. Why on earth would Rita Brady be made a Baroness? Why would they give her the role of Government's 'Small Business Ambassador' - a role that she had precisely zero experience for? How could their mate Boris get the deal for The Olympic Stadium so hideously wrong? As with the other things it makes sense if you believe that they are helping their mates out, but it makes no absolutely no sense if you believe that they were honestly trying to get the best deal for the country. Then we come to the question on Cameron's slip. I know he's not a proper Villa fan. He's a politician and politicians know that you have to have a team because normal people are suspicious of people without a team. But even that level of 'support' is something that absolutely no-one gets wrong. There are armchair fans out there who will change there allegiance so that they support the most successful team, so you can find people who have switched from Liverpool to Man Utd or Chelsea to Man City. What you can't find anywhere is someone who accidentally gives the name of the wrong club. Even the most superficial of plastics will get their story straight 100% of the time. The 'brain freeze' excuse doesn't work at all. For 'brain freeze' to be plausible there has to be a reason why someone would say what they do. That is why I take a very soft line on Hunt's Japanese cock up, because it's entirely plausible that he got it wrong for a completely innocent reason. With Cameron it's different. It all becomes plausible only when you think that there's something going on outside the public view. I don't know what it is, it could be that there's been backhanders, it could be that someone at WHU has dirt on Cameron, it could be something else. What I do know is that nobody gives the name of the wrong football club without a bloody good reason. Cameron, J'accuse…!
    Stig said:

West Ham Coincidence?

• Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

Could be part of the reason that Wales has switched from being 52/48 Brexit two years ago in the referendum to latest poll if asked again now 73% remain
  • Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

Could be part of the reason that Wales has switched from being 52/48 Brexit two years ago in the referendum to latest poll if asked again now 73% remain
    Do you have a link to that poll? That sounds almost incredible.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

• Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

That looks like the question is something like "If we were to get no deal on Brexit should we Remain in the EU or Leave with no deal?" And as no deal looks more and more likely, thanks entirely down to (a) the UK Government's glacial progress towards deciding what it can agree on and (b) Tory hardliners actively pushing for a no deal, it looks like the "will of the people" is very much moving against Brexit.
  • Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

I wonder how many of them were farmers who received EU subsidies that still voted out. Truly astounding if they did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

I have a sneaking suspicion that EU vets are also integral to general meat production processes in the UK, both due to the requirements of EU Directives (and how HMG chooses to implement them - I believe there may have been, and may still be, a requirement for a vet to be present in an abbatoir when animals are to be slaughtered) and wider WTO rules around certification, etc.
  • Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

I have a sneaking suspicion that EU vets are also integral to general meat production processes in the UK, both due to the requirements of EU Directives (and how HMG chooses to implement them - I believe there may have been, and may still be, a requirement for a vet to be present in an abbatoir when animals are to be slaughtered) and wider WTO rules around certification, etc.
    ...and many of the vets doing such work in the UK are Spanish.
  • Is it time to call it? Has the tide turned? I look at that poll, and at this thread in recent weeks....the Brexiteers seem shot to pieces, it's just trolling posts now. I won't nudge him any more, but poor old Dippenhall could not even explain to me how Brexit will solve the productivity crisis that he himself identified as a reason why the economy lags others.

When did you last hear a new fact that strengthened the case for Brexit?

It just might be, there still won’t be a second vote though.
  • If you do a Google search for Brexit it tells you that people are also searching for Maddie McCann. The optimist in me is taking this as a good sign; perhaps the Daily Express set are finally conceding that they didn't know all about it and that they have some learning to do. Then again, perhaps it's just that both the Maddie's disappearance and the yes vote can be filed un 'unfathomable mysteries'.

SnipImage
  • edited August 2018
    RedPanda said:

cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

I wonder how many of them were farmers who received EU subsidies that still voted out. Truly astounding if they did.
    Amid the news of Dover perhaps becoming a permanent lorry park, I checked what percentage of them voted out - 62.2%. Well played Dover.
    Not unrelated to the above, either Kent County Council are telling porkies or the government are...

https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-dover-trade-operation-stack-department-for-transport-no-deal-a8471276.html

Is Op Brock related to Brexit or not?
  • On the subject of food security the boss of the Food and Drink Federation is calling for more clarity for consumers about what a "no deal" (like the outcome Jeremy Hunt is saying is increasing daily) will actually mean.

"Brexit is shaping up to be the stuff of nightmares..."

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/why-britains-food-manufacturing-chief-wants-to-meet-the-government/

Interesting that they have no formal talks with our government about securing the food supply chain and the government is now denying there are plans to stockpile food. Which I think is a change of policy as they have ducked the question until now?
  • On the subject of food security the boss of the Food and Drink Federation is calling for more clarity for consumers about what a "no deal" (like the outcome Jeremy Hunt is saying is increasing daily) will actually mean.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/food-and-drink/why-britains-food-manufacturing-chief-wants-to-meet-the-government/

Interesting that they have no formal talks with our government about securing the food supply chain and the government is now denying there are plans to stockpile food. Which I think is a change of policy as they have ducked the question until now?

I think you can rest assured in the event of a no deal Brexit the Government will have done next to no planning. I can't wait for Boris, Farage and Moggy to sort things out assuming they don't go missing.

They really are f***ing useless and shameless.

I think you can rest assured in the event of a no deal Brexit the Government will have done next to no planning. I can't wait for Boris, Farage and Moggy to sort things out assuming they don't go missing.

They really are f***ing useless and shameless.
    There's no way I'm trusting the govt to plan for Brexit. I'm doing my own prepping. I've got my tin of tomatoes and I've now added two tubes of tomato puree. Oh yes, the days of cheap foreign holidays may be over, but Brexshitshamles Day is going to look like late August in Buñol around our house.
  • For the most part I think this is true. Who in their right mind is going to admit even to themselves that they were duped and based their vote decision on lies and misinformation by crooks and charlatans and didn’t feel the need to look at the expert opinion which was readily available.

You would have to be stupid wouldn’t you ?
    Never seen any of those ads......sorry to disappoint you but I can honestly day I was not swayed by any ad compaign, red battle bus or pollster.

I am 51 years old. I didn't just decide in 2016 to vote leave. I have grown up with the "Common Market" and the ever convergence into a single European state. First there was the common agriculture & fisheries policy, then pints into litres, then pegging £ to the DM, then the Euro (which we sensibly kept out of) and now the powers that be in Brussels want more convergence.

I just don't want it. I have never liked the idea of being part of Europe. Obviously we trade with them & they are our biggest market.....doesn't mean we have to be a part of it.
    Golfie.... Much easier to say you didn't know what you were voting for, otherwise the majority of this lot won't believe you as your answer doesn't fit their narrative.

I had similar views to you but one the final straws was the working time directive, cost me thousands of pounds as my company wouldn't opt out initially and in my industry you have no choice otherwise you leave things unsafe. Plus the British government opt out view was opposed by some of our EU 'friends'..
    Having skipped a load of pages I am sure someone will have put you right (again). Once again you blame the EU for a decision made by your company. It wasn't the EU's decision, it was the company's, wasn't it? And as you state that they "wouldn't opt out initially", they clearly did later, so the option was open to them, and they chose not to take it.
    Another spurious claim destroyed.

Oh - and you still buy beer in pints in the UK, so the litres/pints thing is rubbish too.

Why do quitters have to keep lying?
  • Sponsored links:

• The phrase used by the government spokesperson that

“consumers would continue to have access to a range of products”

The wording of that worries me. Seems to me the only thing the spokesperson is sure of is that there will be some products to choose from but no clue as to what.
  • cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Huskaris said:

Chizz said:

sway me! Stupid bird1

Always found the subsidies argument curious. We are net contributors to the EU, so I wonder why we aren't in a position to look after our own farmers.
  • edited August 2018
    Having to stockpile food will be bad enough for the UK, but is there a realistic chance there could be a medicine shortage as well? Interested to know likelihood of this as I have an uncle going through chemotherapy at the moment.
  • Having to stockpile food will be bad enough for the UK, but is there a realistic chance there could be a medicine shortage as well? Interested to know likelihood of this as I have an uncle going through chemotherapy at the moment.

I’d say pretty much anything is possible. I’d like to think that it won’t come to that, but for once I’d agree with Mr Hunt that the chances are growing day by day.
  • se9addick said:

Having to stockpile food will be bad enough for the UK, but is there a realistic chance there could be a medicine shortage as well? Interested to know likelihood of this as I have an uncle going through chemotherapy at the moment.

I’d say pretty much anything is possible. I’d like to think that it won’t come to that, but for once I’d agree with Mr Hunt that the chances are growing day by day.
    The most alarming thing is that our politicians still seem unsure of the consequences of a no deal scenario and are actively burying their heads in the sand.

Some of the retailers are privately fuming too, since Hunt appeared to suggest that it is they, the retailers, that need to do the stockpiling. None of them went on the record with their trenchant criticisms, but I bet Dave Lewis of Tesco was one of them, bloody good bloke, from all I have heard. The government totally fails to understand that our lean and mean retail sector, championed as a world leader, operates a ruthless just-in-time system which means they are not set up to keep much stock of anything. It simply is not the business model. Anyway, Jeremy, how do you stockpile lettuce?

Of course I can't be smug. I rely on M&S Czech for my watercress, British milk, butter, cheese etc and a whole range of other good stuff. Buy British, me, see, just as patriotic as any Brexiter on here.

Breathtaking, terrifying incompetence.

• se9addick said:

The most alarming thing is that our politicians still seem unsure of the consequences of a no deal scenario and are actively burying their heads in the sand.
    The no deal scenario will not happen. Firstly it would never get through the Commons, and secondly the civil unrest would be unmanageable.

I still believe it will be EEA/EFTA or we stay.

Some of the retailers are privately fuming too, since Hunt appeared to suggest that it is they, the retailers, that need to do the stockpiling. None of them went on the record with their trenchant criticisms, but I bet Dave Lewis of Tesco was one of them, bloody good bloke, from all I have heard. The government totally fails to understand that our lean and mean retail sector, championed as a world leader, operates a ruthless just-in-time system which means they are not set up to keep much stock of anything. It simply is not the business model. Anyway, Jeremy, how do you stockpile lettuce?

Of course I can't be smug. I rely on M&S Czech for my watercress, British milk, butter, cheese etc and a whole range of other good stuff. Buy British, me, see, just as patriotic as any Brexiter on here.

Breathtaking, terrifying incompetence.

The trouble is though that this has b
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

The no deal scenario will not happen. Firstly it would never get through the Commons, and secondly the civil unrest would be unmanageable.

I still believe it will be EEA/EFTA or we stay.

I have lost faith completely in our politicians and to me it feels like watching a slow motion car crash. There seem to be numerous factions at war within Parliament and little progress being made.
  • se9addick said:

Is it time to call it? Has the tide turned? I look at that poll, and at this thread in recent weeks....the Brexiteers seem shot to pieces, it's just trolling posts now. I won't nudge him any more, but poor old Dippenhall could not even explain to me how Brexit will solve the productivity crisis that he himself identified as a reason why the economy lags others.

When did you last hear a new fact that strengthened the case for Brexit?

It just might be, there still won’t be a second vote though.
    If I'd said the productivity crisis would be solved by Brexit I might have answered you.

The point I try and make that you choose to not hear is that the impact of poor productivity growth over the last 8 years is three times greater than the worst prediction for negative GDP impact over the next 20 years. Why are you not on the streets protesting about productivity.

Adults would have debated the impact of no deal at the beginning and worked out solutions instead of saying we can't talk about mutually beneficial objectives only how we stick to EU process.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!