Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options

Uboat said:

clb74 said:

Not looking bad.
    Team who destroyed us 10 days ago only 3 points in front

I'm not sure why that's a positive. What you're saying is the top four are all vastly superior to us.
    How can we say the top four are vastly superior when we've only played one of them

How do we know that Wigan performance wasnt a match where Wigan massively raised their game against us and wont play like that every week

How do we know that injuries / suspensions wont play their part for our opponents when we play the likes of Peterborough and Shrewsbury - There is such a long way to go from now until the end of the season, there are so many different factors that can ruin any teams season... This time last year Sheffield United were 7th on 14-pts with the likes of Bury / Northampton / Port Vale all ahead of them
    Serious question. Do you think pinky and perky have done a good job?
    Hell no... I just want people to remember that we're still in September and a LOT can happen between now and May

I've always tried to have a positive attitude towards the eleven on the pitch and wont give up on our promotion attempt until its mathematically impossible
    Whilst totally dismissing all since January 2014.

The average apologist view is to look at the present day on the football pitch.
  • Options

Elfs and co, polite reminder this is a post match thread about the game. No problem with your general conversations, but please start another thread or post in another thread, cheers

Did not attend so cannot talk about the game.......yes okay fair do's, I'm off to bed.
  • Options
    "The fans have got their Charlton back"

What a clown
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

The ground looked almost empty at half time. And what on earth was going on after the crossbar challenge?????

Indeed.
  • Options
    We didn't play badly today apart from the first 20 minutes. What's going on with Reeves ffs?. God forbid Josh gets injured. 1 point from 9 is very poor, must do better.
  • Options
    PWR.

We started very slow and Bury were the better team until we equalized and then we picked it up a bit. However, only a bit as I thought Bury still looked dangerous on the break. Bury scored a good goal but we gave him so much time and space that we almost handed him the goal on a plate. Beckford has good pedigree so not the player to do it with.

We started the 2nd half slowly but improved as the half went on, although not really with a cutting edge. I thought Konsa made a difference when he came on. I sometimes think we're a bit lightweight and I think he added some size/muscle/intimidation in the middle which we were lacking.

I thought Magennis played well, especially in the second half, and was unlucky not to get more than one goal. He certainly has a head on him. Out of the others I think Fosu was our only spark really in the first half but he did fade a bit in the second. His decision making is poor sometimes but he certainly puts in the effort and at least he has a go. I think Clarke had a good game. Not spectacular though but I think he's a work horse with a bit of style. The others all played ok but can't really say anyone played really well.

Overall I don't think we deserved to win that. I know we had some chances second half but, to me, it didn't feel like we were ever really on top. I do wish we could try some shots from outside the area sometimes (I know, Ricky does) rather than try to walk it in. That and the sideways passing does my head in sometimes.

A disappointing game as we should be winning these types of games but our lack of strength in depth is obvious and will take its toll as we move into Winter. Thanks a lot Roland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Interrupted a piss up to Ifollow 2nd half, lasted about 20 minutes during which I couldn't spot any suspecious activities anywhere near any of the boxes.
    Fell asleep, woke up injury time with an Accordeon on my lap, saw their keeper jumping for something, then it was over...
  • Options
    Our first choice 3 behind Mag is:

- Holmes, Reeves, Marshall

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

• Options

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

We were told Clarke was first choice no.10 and so far he's lived up to that billing
  • Options
    I don't know which set of stats is worse :

(1) 19 shots on goal of which 8 on target but only one goal to show for it; or

(2) 540 minutes of football played ,6 games and 6 defeats ,0 points , 0 goals scored and 13 conceded
  • Options
    ashley said:

(2) 540 minutes of football played ,6 games and 6 defeats ,0 points , 0 goals scored and 13 conceded

One is in a pub League and one in the Premiership

There are Sunday teams with better records than Man Utd this season
  • Options

ashley said:

One is in a pub League and one in the Premiership

There are Sunday teams with better records than Man Utd this season
    Cheer up ooh aah I'm getting worried about you
  • Options
    Peace would be a huge loss
  • Options
    Bang goes my run of wins but I still haven't seen us lose for some time.

Thought the first half hour was pretty dire but improved thereafter.

You can see we have some good, skilful players but something's just not clicking.

It's obvious that teams do their homework and the pressure that Bury put on us in the early part of the game worked for them. Again that's the problem with doing the same weaken week out. Top teams can get away with this as they have better players, lower league teams surely need some options, something that KR doesn't seem to have in his war-chest.

Anyway, it's always good to get to the Valley and meet with old friends before and after the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Level of coaching from the outset resembled a training session. JJ / LB / KR on their feet and seemingly bellowing instructions. This was a match not a training session . To win matches players need to be instinctive . Too much instruction inhibits flair and urgency. Perhaps KR can impose some order here.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Leuth said:

Fosu was really good and won about ten free-kicks. He needs to stay in the side for now

Fosu hasn't got a brain!!! He keeps shooting from 30 yards instead of playing a simple ball. He beat the man and instead of crossing, he turned back towards the defender. Very wasteful
    He needs coaching. He has bags of talent. He can learn.
    If he could play the final killer pass, or shoot at the right time he'd still be at Reading.
    Yeh, kept saying this to my son who was getting increasingly frustrated at Fosu's poor decision making as the game wore on.
    One assumes he was brought in to be back-up for Marshall
  • Options

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

We were told Clarke was first choice no.10 and so far he's lived up to that billing
    Was debating this with my son yesterday.
    What exactly do they have in mind for Reeves - shoe-horn him in to an unfamiliar position or replace Clarke, one of our more successful recent acquisitions?
    Clarke has cemented his place imo
    Was wondering this myself during the match

There is such an eagerness to see Reeves play it surely means Clarke has to be dropped else were putting square pegs into round holes by playing one out wide
  • Options
    Did not watch game today but what is clear to me in a very poor league we are still sitting in 7th postion.This is the way Roland will see it also.WHAT he will not see is we have played the bottom five teams in this league and failed to beat three of them.
    As a unit of players we lack numbers to cover one another in certain postions and this will be his downfall.With players still not fit to play and two away games coming up this week things are not looking good for Charlton or its fans.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

JamesSeed said:

Leuth said:

Fosu was really good and won about ten free-kicks. He needs to stay in the side for now

Fosu hasn't got a brain!!! He keeps shooting from 30 yards instead of playing a simple ball. He beat the man and instead of crossing, he turned back towards the defender. Very wasteful
    He needs coaching. He has bags of talent. He can learn.
    If he could play the final killer pass, or shoot at the right time he'd still be at Reading.
    Yeh, kept saying this to my son who was getting increasingly frustrated at Fosu's poor decision making as the game wore on.
    One assumes he was brought in to be back-up for Marshall
    probably never gonna happen .. the thought of Fosu, Marshall and Holmes in the same side running at opposition defences (with the ball of course) is very appealing

BTW Novak scored again for Scunthorpe .. the other Irons scorer was Holmes .. ((:>) .. deja vu all over again
  • Options

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

Was debating this with my son yesterday.
    What exactly do they have in mind for Reeves - shoe-horn him in to an unfamiliar position or replace Clarke, one of our more successful recent acquisitions?
    Clarke has cemented his place imo
    Was wondering this myself during the match

There is such an eagerness to see Reeves play it surely means Clarke has to be dropped else were putting square pegs into round holes by playing one out wide
    Football, the Duchatelet way...