Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    we keep on talking about personnel. I still think our problem is tactical. The team is wasteful in attack and disjointed in defense. With that 4 2 3 1 system no striker would do better than Magennis.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Magennis is a very good player at this level. Him and Holmes are targeted obviously. A common tactic is to foul Holmes and put an extra man on him when possible and to try to isolate Magennis. I think there was even evidence of this when we beat Southend. Yes Magennis and Holmes scored so they didn't fully succeed but there were spells in that game when he looked isolated. Teams know how we will set up and they know how best to play against us, which does involve bullying and stopping us playing.

If we know and can see that, better qualified people than us are going to too. It is a problem and I think Robinson's options are a bit limited. Reeves may help.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

ashley said:

I don't know which set of stats is worse :

(1) 19 shots on goal of which 8 on target but only one goal to show for it; or

(2) 540 minutes of football played ,6 games and 6 defeats ,0 points , 0 goals scored and 13 conceded

One is in a pub League and one in the Premiership

There are Sunday teams with better records than Man Utd this season
    This 'League One is a pub league' mentality is absolute Billy Big-Bollocks horseshit
    While I have to agree with you here I still believe it's the weakest league one I've seen for a few years.
    There is no Sheffield utd,Sheffield Wednesday or Leeds this season.
    Had we strengthend properly this summer we would have had a great chance of automatic promotion. But yet again we didn't.
    I'd argue, without having seen everyone in the league this year, that while there aren't the big names like Hudds or Sheff Wed/United or Southampton, there is a lot more strength in depth in teams. I do think there is a trickle down effect in that while Premier League clubs can spend more and more on players, decent players who maybe even five or ten years ago would have been in a Premier League squad are pushed down the divisions.

Blackburn, a team I think was in Europe in the last decade, and Wigan who won the League Cup like five years ago are in this division and I'd argue both are big names. But I think the fact that the table is so tight is 1) because it's still very early doors and 2) I think this is a league where anyone can beat anyone on a given day.
    Blackpool and Portsmouth both have huge top level histories, plus playing in the Prem within the last 10 years.
    Pompey also have the distinction of winning the FA Cup as recently as 2008 and playing in Europe.

Despite recent bad times, you can argue that in their day both of these clubs have been at least as successful as Charlton and certainly bigger than Wigan.

• Options

Disappointing that so many are writing off KAG who is playing out of position. The guy is a striker not a winger. Best played in a 4-4-2 with a target man to make runs off.

Probably because he's been shite everywhere he's played and his fitness is seriously questionable for a lad his age...

Every player including strikers should be able to play at least 70 minutes at high intensity as well as being able to put in a decent cross. Or finish a 1 on 1 opportunity.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Disappointing that so many are writing off KAG who is playing out of position. The guy is a striker not a winger. Best played in a 4-4-2 with a target man to make runs off.

Probably because he's been shite everywhere he's played and his fitness is seriously questionable for a lad his age...

Every player including strikers should be able to play at least 70 minutes at high intensity as well as being able to put in a decent cross. Or finish a 1 on 1 opportunity.

My problem with KAG is that I've yet to see him really impress in a Charlton shirt. Other youngsters have had wow moments which stick in the memory, I remember Harriott really impressing with an early sub appearance.

His last goal was literally TWO years ago which doesn't help either
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

4 points from the bottom 4 clubs says it all

Charlton 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers BR are 14th
    Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Charlton PA are 23rd
    Charlton 4 - 1 Northampton 20th
    Rotherham 0 - 2 Charlton 8th
    Oldham 3 - 4 Charlton 24th
    Charlton 2 - 1 Southend Utd 16th
    Charlton 0 - 3 Wigan Athletic 4th
    Gillingham 1 - 0 Charlton 22nd
    Charlton 1 - 1 Bury 20th
    16/27 points

We're certainly not doing as well as I hoped but I'd have said I would expected the following at the start of the season:

Charlton 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers BR are 14th - W
    Plymouth Argyle 2 - 0 Charlton PA are 23rd - W
    Charlton 4 - 1 Northampton 20th W
    Rotherham 0 - 2 Charlton 8th L
    Oldham 3 - 4 Charlton 24th W
    Charlton 2 - 1 Southend Utd 16th D
    Charlton 0 - 3 Wigan Athletic 4th L
    Gillingham 1 - 0 Charlton 22nd W
    Charlton 1 - 1 Bury 20th D
    Going by my realistic expectations 17 out of 27 points or 6th place.

So we have only dropped 1 point compared to my expectations...

Not sure about you lot, but you have to remember who is in charge, it isn't Karl.
  • Options

I really thought we would be able to maintain top six but we are just too one dimensional. God only knows what happens if we lose Josh for a period of time. I'm now expecting 8th - 9th by the time the window opens at best.

Hopefully Roland sells before then but I'm not hopeful.

Surely you are hopeful, but not expectant?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Out of Wigan, gillingham and bury we were expecting
    Wigan - draw
    Gills - win
    Bury - win

In my book 6 points dropped.

I think we can forget about getting autos, just not gonna happen for us we're not even a 1/3 in and we're struggling against v poor teams.

I'd say I expected:

L
    W
    D

So only 3 dropped in my opinion.
    Really ? You didn't expect us to beat bottom four Bury at home ?
    Not at the start of the season NO.
  • Options
    Shut up Dazzler
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Shut up Dazzler

You talk a lot of sense, Dazzler. Someone posted from the Kent Senior Cup game at Welling last week: "KAG couldn't cross or pass accurately to save his life". Managers always want as many players as possible - no matter how mediocre - in case the first-team get injured or have a nervous breakdown.

Someone, above, mentions Callum Harriott. KAG is merely ineffectual - while Harriott was a calamitous liability. All that stumbling over the ball and conceding possession, from which the opposition would score! Never again.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Out of Wigan, gillingham and bury we were expecting
    Wigan - draw
    Gills - win
    Bury - win

In my book 6 points dropped.

I think we can forget about getting autos, just not gonna happen for us we're not even a 1/3 in and we're struggling against v poor teams.

I'd say I expected:

L
    W
    D

So only 3 dropped in my opinion.
    Really ? You didn't expect us to beat bottom four Bury at home ?
    Not at the start of the season NO.
    I recall at the start of the season that Bury had impressed many people with their transfer dealings and were expected to to well, so you're prediction wasn't completely random.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PS I thought Fosu was one of our best players today.

And with that we have the perfect synopsis. One has to have witnessed his (ahem) achievements to appreciate quite how damning is that appraisal.

- "The biggest disappointment for me is I don’t think we changed the game when we were making substitutions. We have got good players but they have got to come off the bench and make an impact – they have to."

Yes that's your job you fat gobshite FFS you're the one charged with calling the substitutions, devising the tactics, adjusting to the needs of each game as it unfolds. What precisely the shimmering fcuk are you there for otherwise Karl? Gimme strength!
  • Options

Magennis is a very good player at this level. Him and Holmes are targeted obviously. A common tactic is to foul Holmes and put an extra man on him when possible and to try to isolate Magennis. I think there was even evidence of this when we beat Southend. Yes Magennis and Holmes scored so they didn't fully succeed but there were spells in that game when he looked isolated. Teams know how we will set up and they know how best to play against us, which does involve bullying and stopping us playing.

If we know and can see that, better qualified people than us are going to too. It is a problem and I think Robinson's options are a bit limited. Reeves may help.

Let me put it another way: if we can see that - WTF is the so called manager watching and why doesn't he understand it?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

seth plum said:

PS I thought Fosu was one of our best players today.

And with that we have the perfect synopsis. One has to have witnessed his (ahem) achievements to appreciate quite how damning is that appraisal.

- "The biggest disappointment for me is I don’t think we changed the game when we were making substitutions. We have got good players but they have got to come off the bench and make an impact – they have to."

Yes that's your job you fat gobshite FFS you're the one charged with calling the substitutions, devising the tactics, adjusting to the needs of each game as it unfolds. What precisely the shimmering fcuk are you there for otherwise Karl? Gimme strength!
    Not totally - I think the manager can play a part but the player has a role too in terms of his performance. They are either good enough to or not - Robinson seems to think they are so his criticism is valid. We may disagree which means criticism lies elswhere and like so many things in life, the truth may even lie somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    A player can shine week in, week out in training and just not do it consistently on the day. I think that sums up our entire squad.
  • Options

Let me put it another way: if we can see that - WTF is the so called manager watching and why doesn't he understand it?
    He does. But what does he do?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Apart from Chris Solly and possibly Da Silva we have no one who can put in a decent cross. Dracula would love our club.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

Apart from Chris Solly and possibly Da Silva we have no one who can put in a decent cross. Dracula would love our club.
    sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

Holmes ? .. the best of the lot .. admittedly not playing at the weekend
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I really thought we would be able to maintain top six but we are just too one dimensional. God only knows what happens if we lose Josh for a period of time. I'm now expecting 8th - 9th by the time the window opens at best.

Hopefully Roland sells before then but I'm not hopeful.

Surely you are hopeful, but not expectant?
    Can you imagine what it might be like ,however ,if you were a premiership team and had mucked about all summer in releasing a striker at the end of his contract , then chasing another striker at another struggling premiership club but with whom you could not agree personal terms come the last day of the window so you therefore missed out on him ?Then you start the season with one first team striker and your only real recognised forward .Then he doesn't score for 6 games and injures his knee in a 5 nil drubbing and is likely to be out for weeks leaving you facing Man Utd next up with only a kid to call on to play up front. What's more you can only bring In unattached players before the January transfer window re opens and by which time you could be bottom of the league at Christmas and as good as relegated in any event . Imagine that nonsense going on at your club and thinking what a bunch of clowns must be in control . That couldn't happen anywhere could it ?..................oh ........... hang on a minute ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

JFC put a good cross in on Saturday...
  • Options
    Not surprised by this sudden dip in form over the last couple of weeks, we've seen it even within individual games that we are going to be quite a hot/cold team this season. We are trying to play an attacking, possession based game. Tough to do at this level, and it is low percentage but high reward when it comes off. The Oldham game is a great example, for 20 minutes we were sensationally good, then under the cosh, then firmly on top and then hanging on again at the end. If we'd won one, lost one, won one, lost one, etc since the start of the season we'd be about where we are and everyone would be saying and okayish start but need to find some consistency to push on.

The way we started was never going to last, but because we were so hot for the first half a dozen games, the expectation bar got set too high too fast and no people are talking lie the sky is falling in.

For the "Plan A" to work, we need to be right at it, any dip below that and we will look blunt, but when it is working we look very good - as entertaining to watch as I can ever remember us being. We needed to be better to guarantee a win on Saturday, but we were nowhere near as bad as some have made out and better than vs Wigan and Gills. Talk that we've already blown any chance of automatic promotion is definitely premature, but it was never really on the cards anyway. As plenty have said, the squad contains talent, but lacks options and flexibility
  • Options

Not surprised by this sudden dip in form over the last couple of weeks, we've seen it even within individual games that we are going to be quite a hot/cold team this season. We are trying to play an attacking, possession based game. Tough to do at this level, and it is low percentage but high reward when it comes off. The Oldham game is a great example, for 20 minutes we were sensationally good, then under the cosh, then firmly on top and then hanging on again at the end. If we'd won one, lost one, won one, lost one, etc since the start of the season we'd be about where we are and everyone would be saying and okayish start but need to find some consistency to push on.

The way we started was never going to last, but because we were so hot for the first half a dozen games, the expectation bar got set too high too fast and no people are talking lie the sky is falling in.

For the "Plan A" to work, we need to be right at it, any dip below that and we will look blunt, but when it is working we look very good - as entertaining to watch as I can ever remember us being. We needed to be better to guarantee a win on Saturday, but we were nowhere near as bad as some have made out and better than vs Wigan and Gills. Talk that we've already blown any chance of automatic promotion is definitely premature, but it was never really on the cards anyway. As plenty have said, the squad contains talent, but lacks options and flexibility

Our decent starts in recent seasons have fizzled out very rapidly and I'm sure this season will be no different - the blind optimism of some of our fans amazes me.
  • Options

Our decent starts in recent seasons have fizzled out very rapidly and I'm sure this season will be no different - the blind optimism of some of our fans amazes me.
    In the Duchatelet era, this has only really happened once when Bob Peeters was in charge. Even then, in terms of games (and points) won this is comfortably our best start under Roland and his cronies - our record after 9 league games for this and the the previous 3 full seasons which we've been Belgian owned:

17/18 W5, D1, L3
    16/17 W2, D5, L2
    15/16 W2, D3, L4
    14/15 W3, D6, L0

And anyway, I'm not being blindly optimistic, I'm just saying this is how its going to be under Robinson, unless he has a change of heart and decides to mix it up tactically or is allowed to spend big in January (and neither seem likely). Teams know exactly how we will try and play and will have a plan to stop it. Sometimes, they'll be very successful (see vs Wigan) and we'll look way off what it required. Some weeks they will be partially successful and we won't be quite on it and we'll look short on ideas (see Saturday vs Bury or Gills the week before or Plymouth away). Other weeks we'll be more 'at it' and find a way around it despite some resistance e.g vs Southend and Oldham. And some weeks we'll be just too good and they won't be able to stop us, e.g. Northampton. If we are to go up we'll need it to be the latter two categories more weeks than the former two. I'm not convinced that we have the options on the bench to change it up or rest players as much as may be needed for us to win games throughout the whole season, but I'm am happy to see us trying to impose ourselves on the opposition for the first time in years and attempting to win games by playing genuine good football and scoring goals.

The determination of some of fans to be miserable all the time amazes me.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Scoham said:

sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

Fosu crossed well for JFC to nearly score too. Long time ago (but he hasn't played much since) but KAG also put in a beauty for Cousins vs Hull a couple of seasons back. What they need to be encouraged to do, is cross early more regularly. Not meaning from deep necessarily, but get it out of their feet and whip it in, no need too beat the full back more than once. In Magennis we have a real threat from crosses, but when he doesn't know when the winger will or even if they will deliver it makes it harder for him to time his runs and easier for defenders.
  • Options
    If
    Scoham said:

sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

So did Fosu.

Magennis turned their left back with 20 mins to go, and then drove the ball along the ground straight at a Bury player, leading to them breaking.

God know why but I sat through the entire 90 minutes on VP today, and picked up more than I did watching it live.

Unlike last season we have a midfield full of players comfortable on the ball, and happy to dribble the through the opposition midfield into attacking areas.

But this is when it all seems to go horribly wrong.
    In the Prem the ball will be stroked into the path of one of the several teammates making runs into the box, whereas our attacks often end up with someone thumping it at Magennis, who has little chance of controlling it. Or there’s a rush of blood to the head, leading to a doomed attempt to emulate Ricky’s 30 yard screamers.

Or perhaps we’re asking too much of League One players?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

If

Scoham said:

sm said:

Dazzler21 said:

So did Fosu.

Magennis turned their left back with 20 mins to go, and then drove the ball along the ground straight at a Bury player, leading to them breaking.

God know why but I sat through the entire 90 minutes on VP today, and picked up more than I did watching it live.

Unlike last season we have a midfield full of players comfortable on the ball, and happy to dribble the through the opposition midfield into attacking areas.

But this is when it all seems to go horribly wrong.
    In the Prem the ball will be stroked into the path of one of the several teammates making runs into the box, whereas our attacks often end up with someone thumping it at Magennis, who has little chance of controlling it. Or there’s a rush of blood to the head, leading to a doomed attempt to emulate Ricky’s 30 yard screamers.

Or perhaps we’re asking too much of League One players?
    He put in a better one early in the game but there was no one else in the box. I suspect he drove it low knowing, with him out wide, there were no real aerial targets to hit so tried to pick out a runner on the edge of the box. Looked bad when it didn't come off though.
  • Options

In the Duchatelet era, this has only really happened once when Bob Peeters was in charge. Even then, in terms of games (and points) won this is comfortably our best start under Roland and his cronies - our record after 9 league games for this and the the previous 3 full seasons which we've been Belgian owned:

17/18 W5, D1, L3
    16/17 W2, D5, L2
    15/16 W2, D3, L4
    14/15 W3, D6, L0

And anyway, I'm not being blindly optimistic, I'm just saying this is how its going to be under Robinson, unless he has a change of heart and decides to mix it up tactically or is allowed to spend big in January (and neither seem likely). Teams know exactly how we will try and play and will have a plan to stop it. Sometimes, they'll be very successful (see vs Wigan) and we'll look way off what it required. Some weeks they will be partially successful and we won't be quite on it and we'll look short on ideas (see Saturday vs Bury or Gills the week before or Plymouth away). Other weeks we'll be more 'at it' and find a way around it despite some resistance e.g vs Southend and Oldham. And some weeks we'll be just too good and they won't be able to stop us, e.g. Northampton. If we are to go up we'll need it to be the latter two categories more weeks than the former two. I'm not convinced that we have the options on the bench to change it up or rest players as much as may be needed for us to win games throughout the whole season, but I'm am happy to see us trying to impose ourselves on the opposition for the first time in years and attempting to win games by playing genuine good football and scoring goals.

I've got a bit bored of our football under RD's ownership surprisingly. How low should our expectations be given the dross we've had to endure?

I don't think the football this season has been particularly impressive - we had an easy set of opening fixtures and in the first game against decent opposition we were shocking. The last two games against Gillingham and Bury were also poor.

Our football looks very predictable and once the opposition close us down we run out of ideas. I don't see a lot of progress this season..

Without Holmes against Bury we seemed to have little or no attacking threat.
  • Options

17/18 W5, D1, L3
    16/17 W2, D5, L2
    15/16 W2, D3, L4
    14/15 W3, D6, L0

I've got a bit bored of our football under RD's ownership surprisingly. How low should our expectations be given the dross we've had to endure?

I don't think the football this season has been particularly impressive - we had an easy set of opening fixtures and in the first game against decent opposition we were shocking. The last two games against Gillingham and Bury were also poor.

Our football looks very predictable and once the opposition close us down we run out of ideas. I don't see a lot of progress this season..

Without Holmes against Bury we seemed to have little or no attacking threat.
    With all due respect Hoof, I've been reading you posts going back to the days of 606 and CAFCBabes, and you've always been a miserable sod, even when we were in the premier league you were usually grumbling about something.

If you can't see any progress vs last season, when we have 50% more points than at the same time, you aren't looking very hard.
    You're obviously not a proper Charlton fan if you're happy watching us play football. With all due respect to you most Charlton fans spend their time moaning and if you want to go around trying to be optimistic that's your problem.

You're easily pleased....