Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury 2017 post-match views

Comments

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Leuth said:

Fosu was really good and won about ten free-kicks. He needs to stay in the side for now

Fosu hasn't got a brain!!! He keeps shooting from 30 yards instead of playing a simple ball. He beat the man and instead of crossing, he turned back towards the defender. Very wasteful
    He needs coaching. He has bags of talent. He can learn.
    If he could play the final killer pass, or shoot at the right time he'd still be at Reading.
    Yeh, kept saying this to my son who was getting increasingly frustrated at Fosu's poor decision making as the game wore on.
    One assumes he was brought in to be back-up for Marshall
    He's very young, one for the future. My friend is a season ticket holder at Reading and he keeps saying they were gutted that they let him go. But we all know he needs to improve his decision making.
  • Options

Although we need to find a way through stubborn defences, I did have some sympathy yesterday. Bury committed a total of 19 spoiling fouls - mostly in the second half. Very hard to maintain any momentum with that level of gamesmanship. Obviously it was good for Bury as they hung on to their point, but it does nothing for the beautiful game and ultimately bums on seats.

We didn't make it difficult enough for them and Big Josh was all too often isolated with little or no support - when we moved the ball quicker with plenty of hard-working, supporting players, we scared them - just didn't do it enough and at one point, mid-second half, we were pressing their 6 yard box and forcing them to sit deep but we were static - easy to defend.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

For a Saturday afternoon game.

That is almost as poor as our first 30 minutes which was all over the place.

Bury did that pressing us high up the pitch thing that scouts have seen stop us playing and again it worked.

Thankfully we scored and we were on top without creating too many clear cut chances while Bury still had a few sights of goal.

If we'd won it at the end with Magennis' header it wouldn't have been a robbery but we didn't and Bury deserved their point.

I made Fosu MOTM as he tried to make things happen. KAG was subbed off when we were playing our best football and he was using his pace to get at them. Like Konsa as a defender but bringing him on meant moving Clarke and JFC. What does it add or change?

Not a terrible performance and Bury, credit to them, were a horrible team to play against but they are bottom four and a two team should be beating them

Meanwhile 1 point from 9 isn't promotion form.

Lots of talk of missing Marshall and Reeves but neither have played a league game and we lost to Gills with Holmes.

Clarke went off I jured and Pearce took a knock. Worrying given our options off the bench.

Don't want to slate Dodoo too much as he was another player out of position but he looks lost.

Oh, 9895 at home on a Saturday and with an offer to Greenwich University students. Can't be CARD's fault so where is the big change we've been told has happened.

Havent you heard, its all CARDS fault we did not get promoted last year and the reasoning for failure this year has already been set why does it have to be anyone's fault not everyone can go up. CARD are irrelevant the dynamic duo relaised they had to change tact all on their own its nothing to do with CARD. Thats the rule remember CARD achievements are nought unless of course things go wrong and then its because of CARD. If you dare say anything thing different then its the red card for you my friend that and a barrage of homphobic abuse as you can tell by someones name their a 'poof' the old adage ' you wouldn't say that to my face' followed up by something along the lines of 'I hope you eat shit and die' psml.
  • Options

For a Saturday afternoon game.

That is almost as poor as our first 30 minutes which was all over the place.

Bury did that pressing us high up the pitch thing that scouts have seen stop us playing and again it worked.

Thankfully we scored and we were on top without creating too many clear cut chances while Bury still had a few sights of goal.

If we'd won it at the end with Magennis' header it wouldn't have been a robbery but we didn't and Bury deserved their point.

I made Fosu MOTM as he tried to make things happen. KAG was subbed off when we were playing our best football and he was using his pace to get at them. Like Konsa as a defender but bringing him on meant moving Clarke and JFC. What does it add or change?

Not a terrible performance and Bury, credit to them, were a horrible team to play against but they are bottom four and a two team should be beating them

Meanwhile 1 point from 9 isn't promotion form.

Lots of talk of missing Marshall and Reeves but neither have played a league game and we lost to Gills with Holmes.

Clarke went off I jured and Pearce took a knock. Worrying given our options off the bench.

Don't want to slate Dodoo too much as he was another player out of position but he looks lost.

Oh, 9895 at home on a Saturday and with an offer to Greenwich University students. Can't be CARD's fault so where is the big change we've been told has happened.

Havent you heard, its all CARDS fault we did not get promoted last year and the reasoning for failure this year has already been set why does it have to be anyone's fault not everyone can go up. CARD are irrelevant the dynamic duo relaised they had to change tact all on their own its nothing to do with CARD. Thats the rule remember CARD achievements are nought unless of course things go wrong and then its because of CARD. If you dare say anything thing different then its the red card for you my friend that and a barrage of homphobic abuse as you can tell by someones name their a 'poof' the old adage ' you wouldn't say that to my face' followed up by something along the lines of 'I hope you eat shit and die' psml.
    Oh so true.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Or, to put it more constructively, League One is a decent professional league (by global standards) full of well-drilled, athletic teams, a smattering of promising youngsters and the occasional sparkling talent. Most sides have severe limitations by the standards of our Premiership-addled minds, but pub teams these assuredly are not

If there was a European competition for 3rd flight sides England would come out on top.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Or, to put it more constructively, League One is a decent professional league (by global standards) full of well-drilled, athletic teams, a smattering of promising youngsters and the occasional sparkling talent. Most sides have severe limitations by the standards of our Premiership-addled minds, but pub teams these assuredly are not

Ever considered a career in marketing Leuth?
    I don't disagree with your words, but you can't sell a pup to us longer in the tooth stalwarts who are used to watching us play at a higher standard play in a higher league than this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A late comment on the game. I thought Bury looked a decent team, physical, committed, albeit a bit dirty. Not sure why they are so low down the table

A SHOCKING start to the match, slow lethargic and casual, and Bury took a deserved lead. We didn't get into the game until the last 15 minutes of the first half, when we got an excellent equaliser. From then on, tactically I'm not sure we had it right. Josh's goal came from a diagonal cross, a similar one from Solly on the other side almost created another goal, yet we persisted in trying to play through the middle.

Subs made things worse. I think the option today of throwing on someone like Sarr up front could have been tried. I keep saying this, but not idea why Aribo has played NO minutes in the league this season. It seems daft to me that with out small squad him and Sarr have had no game time, whereas Konsa is automatically thrown on.

Shockingly we are still only 4 points from automatic...also bizarrely Rotherham 1 point behind us have a GD 7 better...
  • Options
    PWR but I'll not be the first to have been frustrated by the low impact our subs have - which has been a feature of the season to date.

Hence I'm baffled that Aribo wasn't given a chance yesterday. In what way was Konsa more likely to be a gamechanger? One of Curbs' strengths was to recognise that you simply have to give the subs and fringe players a chance after a while, even if on paper they are not your strangest selections.
  • Options

PWR but I'll not be the first to have been frustrated by the low impact our subs have - which has been a feature of the season to date.

Even Robinson himself said exactly that in the post match discussion yesterday.
  • Options

Hence I'm baffled that Aribo wasn't given a chance yesterday. In what way was Konsa more likely to be a gamechanger? One of Curbs' strengths was to recognise that you simply have to give the subs and fringe players a chance after a while, even if on paper they are not your strangest selections.

I wish someone (like Mendez or Cawley) would ask him why he isn't playing Aribo, 3 poor results in a row and he still isn't given a chance
  • Options

Peace would be a huge loss

I disagree. War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
    Huh, say it again........go on Edwin :wink:
  • Options
    That's more like it, moan some more! A few wins and some here thought or hoped the table had turned our beloved Charlton after Southend! Accused of putting a downer on the good start I was :/ Maybe from those West stand - onwards and upwards supporters! Shame some on here like the sound of their own voice forgetting after a couple of wins - that we are still getting fucked in the ears with KR RD KM at the helm.
    We ain't going nowhere... oh Sack KR as it's the only entertainment we get at the Valley nowadays!
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Level of coaching from the outset resembled a training session. JJ / LB / KR on their feet and seemingly bellowing instructions. This was a match not a training session . To win matches players need to be instinctive . Too much instruction inhibits flair and urgency. Perhaps KR can impose some order here.

You make a good point about needing to be instinctive. Too often yesterday as our man with the ball approached the box, you could see the cogs whirring in his head: What do I do now, boss? Better teams like Wigan two weeks ago play with a fluency and intuition that appears almost effortless.

Agree also with many other Lifers' criticism that we wasted the first 30 minutes by being dull, predictable and ponderous. Made a slow start to the second half, too. I don't get all the hype about Kashi; as a deep-lying midfielder he takes the ball from one side of the pitch to the other - but then what? Fosu is a curate's egg: capable of attacking runs past opponents, but crucially let down by wrong decisions with the final ball.

I worry about our midfield without Holmes. When dispossessed, Forster-Caskey, Fosu and the rest don't automatically chase the opponent to win back the ball. Holmes does, usually to good effect. Just imagine both Holmes and Magennis being sidelined with injuries. We would have the cutting edge of a damp paper bag.

• Options
    I am not a professional footballer and I accept the top Premiership players have off days. There were a number of performances yesterday that were not at the standard I saw earlier in the season.- why?
    I would think every game is deserving of 100% effort. I do not turn up to certain games with a view of I will give partial support today.
    I am entitled to a view point and I felt the performance was " going through the motions"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E=mc2 said:

That's more like it, moan some more! A few wins and some here thought or hoped the table had turned our beloved Charlton after Southend! Accused of putting a downer on the good start I was :/ Maybe from those West stand - onwards and upwards supporters! Shame some on here like the sound of their own voice forgetting after a couple of wins - that we are still getting fucked in the ears with KR RD KM at the helm.
    We ain't going nowhere... oh Sack KR as it's the only entertainment we get at the Valley nowadays!

Bee in your bonnet Einstein? :wink:
  • Options
    Redskin said:

A lot of you people seem to forget that this is a third division team. We were the better one today, but often lacked the final ball which is not uncommon in Premiership sides.
    Our goal was class, as was Clarke; best player on the pitch.

So why was he subbed?

In his post-match interview Robinson said 'But you can't just rely on Joe coming on to score a goal - he’s still a young player learning his trade'. So there's the manager complaining that his temporary loan signing, and our only other striker, isn't good enough to change games for us. Brilliant. Really glad we chucked off all our other strikers and just brought him in as cover then. It's just the same mistakes every single season.

Perhaps Joe and KAG would do better if they were played in the positions they some experience and have been coached to play rather than sticking them out on the wing. The number of times we had 3 or even 4 players out on the wing trying to supply 1 easily marked striker in the middle is really just a demonstration of how other teams have now worked out Robinson's tactic.
  • Options
    sm said:

Redskin said:

A lot of you people seem to forget that this is a third division team. We were the better one today, but often lacked the final ball which is not uncommon in Premiership sides.

So why was he subbed?

In his post-match interview Robinson said 'But you can't just rely on Joe coming on to score a goal - he’s still a young player learning his trade'. So there's the manager complaining that his temporary loan signing, and our only other striker, isn't good enough to change games for us. Brilliant. Really glad we chucked off all our other strikers and just brought him in as cover then. It's just the same mistakes every single season.

Perhaps Joe and KAG would do better if they were played in the positions they some experience and have been coached to play rather than sticking them out on the wing. The number of times we had 3 or even 4 players out on the wing trying to supply 1 easily marked striker in the middle is really just a demonstration of how other teams have now worked out Robinson's tactic.
    Or that we just don't have anyone other than Josh to fill the striker roll. That's not Robinson's tactics being "worked out" just the reality of our once again unbalanced squad.

• Options

sm said:

Redskin said:

So why was he subbed?

Or that we just don't have anyone other than Josh to fill the striker roll. That's not Robinson's tactics being "worked out" just the reality of our once again unbalanced squad.

It's possible, however, that we only have one striker because of Robinson's tactics, i.e. it's not that attractive to be the back-up to one man, much like the issue with second-choice keepers. Novak, for example, might have taken a different view if Robinson was more flexible, because he'd have had more opportunities to play.
    Well that doesn't allow for Robinson actively trying to sign another striker during the window albeit left far too late. The ideal for KR I would think would be to rotate and have impact off the bench. He has neither at present.

• Options
    Addicted said:

This is what happens when you have no squad depth. End up playing the same way, get found out, no options to change things up. Its all very familiar and predictable.

No squad in L1 has depth.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

sm said:

Redskin said:

So why was he subbed?

It's possible, however, that we only have one striker because of Robinson's tactics, i.e. it's not that attractive to be the back-up to one man, much like the issue with second-choice keepers. Novak, for example, might have taken a different view if Robinson was more flexible, because he'd have had more opportunities to play.
    not merely possible, more like probable, edging towards certain ..

and that's why any decent striker (e.g. Grigg) will not be interested in coming to us merely to sit on the bench waiting for an injury to Magennis ..

anyway I am sick of repeating my ongoing criticism of 4231, it's a waste of my rapidly diminishing nervous energy ((:>)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Although we need to find a way through stubborn defences, I did have some sympathy yesterday. Bury committed a total of 19 spoiling fouls - mostly in the second half. Very hard to maintain any momentum with that level of gamesmanship. Obviously it was good for Bury as they hung on to their point, but it does nothing for the beautiful game and ultimately bums on seats.

Lots of teams will do this against us this season. I don't think we have the plan B options - Reeves may help but we rely on Holmes and Magennis too much. Was gross stupidity letting Novak go and not replacing him with something better. Dodoo was no sort of replacement! I honestly can't see how we can change anything when we need to and that is a scandal. Not Robinson's fault - it has been the same story every season under Duchatelet - the foundations are there but we never finish the job!

I would normally say our best chance is to keep top 8 until the next window, but in all honesty, that would be stupid as we know our windows always come well short. Why we should always look forward to the next one is beyond me. Hopefulness over reality really.
  • Options

Our first choice 3 behind Mag is:

- Holmes, Reeves, Marshall

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

We were told Clarke was first choice no.10 and so far he's lived up to that billing
    Was debating this with my son yesterday.
    What exactly do they have in mind for Reeves - shoe-horn him in to an unfamiliar position or replace Clarke, one of our more successful recent acquisitions?
    Clarke has cemented his place imo

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

We were told Clarke was first choice no.10 and so far he's lived up to that billing
    What exactly do they have in mind for Reeves - shoe-horn him in to an unfamiliar position or replace Clarke, one of our more successful recent acquisitions?
    Was wondering this myself during the match

There is such an eagerness to see Reeves play it surely means Clarke has to be dropped else were putting square pegs into round holes by playing one out wide
    We can't moan about a lack of depth then question why we have Reeves and Clarke. We should have this problem in more positions.

Reeves has played on the right for MK Dons, there could be room for both of them in positions they're comfortable with.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

And yesterday we had:

- Fosu, Clark, KAG

By the end we had:

- Dodoo, Konsa, Fosu

It showed

Was wondering this myself during the match

There is such an eagerness to see Reeves play it surely means Clarke has to be dropped else were putting square pegs into round holes by playing one out wide
    We can't moan about a lack of depth then question why we have Reeves and Clarke. We should have this problem in more positions.

Reeves has played on the right for MK Dons, there could be room for both of them in positions they're comfortable with.
    No moaning from me Scoham, I just wouldn't want to see him step in and replace Clarke.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when Reeves and Marshall are both fit, whenever that may be.