Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooting incident in Vegas

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Mrkinski said:

In Florida on holiday - got talking to an uber driver about the Vegas mass-murder. Whilst he was sad and outraged, his bottom line was years ago you used to see pick-up trucks everywhere with people sitting in the back with guns, they didn't go round killing people, something has changed. And he also said that it's people that kill, not guns. Yeah, that old chestnut.

America will never change.

As long as they continue (as they do) to ignore things like the Wounded Knee massacre. For which, unbelievably, 20 Medals of Honor (sic) were awarded. This is the US equivalent of the Victoria Cross would you believe.
    Let's face it, a significant number of Americans get their rocks off by killing and, as you say, that's not going to change any time soon.
  • Options
    About time if you ask me:
    http://news.sky.com/story/nra-calls-for-crackdown-on-gun-modifications-after-las-vegas-11068465

I'd not have a complaint of them only having hand guns, typical farm shotguns & finally hunting rifles...

I don't see why they need anything else.

All should be licensed etc as per my last comment on licensing rules and regular (quarterly mental health checks)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

http://news.sky.com/story/nra-calls-for-crackdown-on-gun-modifications-after-las-vegas-11068465

I'd not have a complaint of them only having hand guns, typical farm shotguns & finally hunting rifles...

All should be licensed etc as per my last comment on licensing rules and regular (quarterly mental health checks)

Hand guns account for an overwhelming majority of gun deaths in the country.

I'd say they are more of an issue, when considering the total number of deaths, than any other weapon. That's not to take anything away from the tragedies that emanate from mass shootings.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

I'd say they are more of an issue, when considering the total number of deaths, than any other weapon. That's not to take anything away from the tragedies that emanate from mass shootings.
    the only difference is they would be quite hard to cause multiple injuries. but otherwise its the same whether 1000 people are killed by a sub machine gun in one attack or 1000 seperate people are killed in 1000 seperate attack
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

You have to approach these things a certain way, otherwise the NRA and the gun nuts of america will be up in said arms trying to stop you taking them all at once.

If they could get all the guns at once without causing issue, that'd be my chosen solution.
  • Options
    Heard yesterday that since this incident, a further 180 Americans have been shot dead throughout the States.

Utter madness.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I wish I could explain how big this is. The NRA are notorious for never compromising on anything. I can't remember if I wrote it here or elsewhere, but if on Monday you'd said to me "the one change made in the aftermath of this tragedy will be the ban of bump stocks" I'd have bitten your hand off.

To date, touch wood, there hasn't been a huge problem with them, but you saw what a pretty much automatic assault rifle is capable of.

All that said, would the NRA be more willing to go along with the ban if bump stocks were more common, or if they were easier to use (apparently using them can be quite tricky)? I doubt it. But either way, a huge victory.

By the way, there is a huge racist element within the NRA and the work they do. Can go into that later if anyone is interested.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

On the plus side, because it's entirely legal to keep a loaded handgun in the glove box of your car in Florida, (without the need to obtain a concealed firearm permit,) road rage is incredibly rare. The ultra-polite "after you, no you first, I insist" stuff is there for a purpose.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

By the way, there is a huge racist element within the NRA and the work they do. Can go into that later if anyone is interested.
    Hmmm. Below is the spokeswoman, Antonia Okafor, from the NRA on BBC Breakfast time in this morning.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:

On the plus side, because it's entirely legal to keep a loaded handgun in the glove box of your car in Florida, (without the need to obtain a concealed firearm permit,) road rage is incredibly rare. The ultra-polite "after you, no you first, I insist" stuff is there for a purpose.
    I can't understand why that argument isn't put forward more often. Obviously a dip in non-lethal road rage incidents is a powerful counterpoint to those who say that 12000 murders and 350 mass shootings each year is a bad thing.
  • Options
    Devil's advocate here.The USA was founded by an armed militia,fighting against a tyrannical government (the UK).When the constitution was written up,you can understand why they thought that an armed populous was a good defence against another tyrannical government taking over again. Obviously it doesn't make much sense these days because what the hell would a bunch of redneck militiamen going to do against the outlandish might of the US military industrial complex.
  • Options
    I really do hope nobody with a bump stock finds their way into an NRA convention. At any time. Ever.
    That would be awful.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Hmmm. Below is the spokeswoman, Antonia Okafor, from the NRA on BBC Breakfast time in this morning.

Glad they're playing the "some of my best friends are black" game.