Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooting incident in Vegas

Comments

• Options

English pal of mine had a girlfriend who lived in Oakland.
    Guy broke into her apartment, she had a gun under her mattres.....he appeared in her bedroom doorway and she shot him stone dead!
    No further action taken.

I would say that is a justified homicide .. if she had not had a gun she could (or probably would have) been raped and/or murdered

This is an incident whereby gun ownership was a life saver. American cities are still crime ridden and many criminals are armed with guns or knives and have no respect for human life. Law abiding citizens have a right and many may feel the need to own a gun and to know how to use it.
    There is little or no justification though for anyone owning a rapid fire machine gun or the like

I have friends and relations in the states, some own guns, some don't .. a lot has to do with the area where they live and their own state of mind. To the gun owners it's just like owning a necessary tool
    Gun ownership doesn't make life safer and there's no evidence to back that up - the stats on the gun violence archive are horrifying. 545 children(0-11) killed or injured this year.

Trusting your population to use guns responsibly is naivety bordering on gross stupidity. If you own a gun it makes it much easier for you to kill someone and for someone to kill you with it.

Fear is an easy sales pitch and every time there is a mass shooting in the US gun sales go up and the problem gets worse.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    My mum's fella has a cabinet full of them. He is into clay and black powder shooting. He is vetted and licensed yearly, as should be. He lost hundreds of pounds in the amnesty a few years back. This is a hobby.

My hobby is Charlton Athletic (a mere after thought lately I admit).

The whole gun violence issue is separate from the above I think we all agree? What you do when it is so ingrained into the national psyche, I haven't a clue. Such a sad waste of innocent life in the USA.
  • Options
    as a side note when in vegas a couple of years back a few freinds went to one of these gun ranges, wont pretend i know loads about them but they could shoot a 50 calibre sniper rifle, think its quite a serious bit of kit.

https://www.battlefieldvegas.com/pages/a-la-carte-landing-page

that's there website when you look at the arsenal of weapons on there its ridiculous, and there's not 1 or 2 of these places there's shit loads of them.
  • Options

couple of freinds have shotgun licences here, both of which there guns are stored at home in approved cabinets and are used for sports shooting ( clays ) as far as im aware as opposed to live targets.

They are hard work to get those licences, I'm into clay shooting (not into using a shotgun to blast wildlife into a dozen pieces) and it's more aggro than the cost saving of having to hire a gun at a shoot as opposed to owning and storing my own.

America is big on its freedoms and before 2001 it was a very very free place indeed.

They have no desire to control gun ownership, be that because of economic reasons and pressure from the NRA or firearms manufacturers or because of that outdated 2nd amendment to base arms. That was prove after sandy hook. The powers that be in the states are ok with kids being massacred.

• Options

My mum's fella has a cabinet full of them. He is into clay and black powder shooting. He is vetted and licensed yearly, as should be. He lost hundreds of pounds in the amnesty a few years back. This is a hobby.

My hobby is Charlton Athletic (a mere after thought lately I admit).

The whole gun violence issue is separate from the above I think we all agree? What you do when it is so ingrained into the national psyche, I haven't a clue. Such a sad waste of innocent life in the USA.

Interestingly enough I was just trying to do some reading on the gun laws/licenses over here to see what you have to do to own a gun. Our government also took specific action after dunblane and hungerford

But as others have mentioned, we have a completely different culture to the U.S when it comes to this

I'm not saying they ban it, because I get it's in their constitution etc, I'm just amazed they can't get more stringent limits and restrictions to pass
  • Options

Guy broke into her apartment, she had a gun under her mattres.....he appeared in her bedroom doorway and she shot him stone dead!
    No further action taken.

I would say that is a justified homicide .. if she had not had a gun she could (or probably would have) been raped and/or murdered

This is an incident whereby gun ownership was a life saver. American cities are still crime ridden and many criminals are armed with guns or knives and have no respect for human life. Law abiding citizens have a right and many may feel the need to own a gun and to know how to use it.
    There is little or no justification though for anyone owning a rapid fire machine gun or the like

I have friends and relations in the states, some own guns, some don't .. a lot has to do with the area where they live and their own state of mind. To the gun owners it's just like owning a necessary tool
    Gun ownership doesn't make life safer and there's no evidence to back that up - the stats on the gun violence archive are horrifying. 545 children(0-11) killed or injured this year.

Trusting your population to use guns responsibly is naivety bordering on gross stupidity. If you own a gun it makes it much easier for you to kill someone and for someone to kill you with it.

Fear is an easy sales pitch and every time there is a mass shooting in the US gun sales go up and the problem gets worse.

Indeed. The first thing that happens when you buy a gun is that statistically you are 30% more likely to be killed by a gun. Now of course that statistic is massively skewed by the fact that a lot of criminals and gang members have guns and die in gun related incidents, but the underlying point stands. American's buy guns in order to feel safer whilst the opposite is actually true.
  • Options
    ‘Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People' seems to be the standard NRA argument. With logic like that there is no room for debate....
  • Options
    It would appear this bloke used whats called a bump stock, which in affect allows him to fire at near automatic levels. I would assume this type of device is more likely to be restricted or banned in Nevada or USA.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

No further action taken.

Exactly Lincs.
    His intention was rape by the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

as a side note when in vegas a couple of years back a few freinds went to one of these gun ranges, wont pretend i know loads about them but they could shoot a 50 calibre sniper rifle, think its quite a serious bit of kit.

https://www.battlefieldvegas.com/pages/a-la-carte-landing-page

that's there website when you look at the arsenal of weapons on there its ridiculous, and there's not 1 or 2 of these places there's shit loads of them.

I went to the SHOT (Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Show) in Vegas a few years ago for work, on one of the stands you could win a .50 cal sniper rifle in a raffle!

one of these:

• Options
    edited October 2017

The number of people dying falling out of bed shocks me more than the gun deaths!
    Armed Toddlers 21, bloody hell thats says it all for me.

• Options
    shine166 said:

If mass shootings are seen as a problem by lawmakers then there will be more regulation but we have to conclude that it's not really an issue for them.

If a right to bear arms in a constitution written in 1791 that obviously belongs to a different age and set of circumstances is beyond debate it suggests unnecessary loss of life doesn't really matter.

The gun lobby in the US are beyond rational debate.....

back when guns probably couldnt accurat

No further action taken.

Bit different having one gun under the pillow for protection, than 45 automatic weapons stashed in your spare room
    Oh yes of course shine......it's entirely different.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

The number of people dying falling out of bed shocks me more than the gun deaths!
    Armed Toddlers 21, bloody hell thats says it all for me.
    My kids are scary enough with water pistols and nerf guns! If there are real guns around the house it's pretty much inevitable that they will end up being used by kids unless they're kept so securely that they would be worthless in the event of a home invasion, which is the reason that a lot of Americans give for having a gun.
  • Options

Maybe what they need is a spate of assault rifles mowing down members of Congress and Judges. Maybe then it will hit home that the people that are being killed are more important than their political careers.

There was an incident when a shooter was taking pot shots a team of congressmen playing baseball last year
  • Options

Maybe what they need is a spate of assault rifles mowing down members of Congress and Judges. Maybe then it will hit home that the people that are being killed are more important than their political careers.

There was an incident when a shooter was taking pot shots a team of congressmen playing baseball last year
    The congressman in question is still in favour of guns by the way.
  • Options
    Someone needs to have the balls to explain to the American public that the Second Amendment does not under the right to own arms.

No, John Q. Guntoter, you don't have the right to own a gun. The Second Amendment allows you to bear arms, but says nothing about owning them.

Once law-makers can get their heads round that issue, gun control becomes possible. Starting by making it illegal to pass ownership of a gun to a third party. Then massively reducing the amount of ammunition an individual is allowed. Then making private ownership outlawed entirely, and, instead, enabling guns to be leased by reputable, licensed gun clubs, who lose their licence if any of their guns is used in a crime.

Use a gun in a crime and you lose your right to bear arms. Lease a gun to someone who uses it in a crime and you lose your licence and income.

It's a start. But sadly, because the NRA is so powerful and the wrong man is in the White House, it's a start that's a long way away.
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:

It would appear this bloke used whats called a bump stock, which in affect allows him to fire at near automatic levels. I would assume this type of device is more likely to be restricted or banned in Nevada or USA.

Perfectly legal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely all the little rocket man needs to do is change his own constitution to give him the right to keep and bear ICBMs then Trump will leave him alone
  • Options
    if a president brought in a law banning assault rifles say whats to stop individual states from challenging this as they have with Trumps "immigration reform/travel ban" ? mind you if 60/70% of the States went along with it then you have still brought in an element of gun control
  • Options

if a president brought in a law banning assault rifles say whats to stop individual states from challenging this as they have with Trumps "immigration reform/travel ban" ? mind you if 60/70% of the States went along with it then you have still brought in an element of gun control

Washington and New york tried to bring in stricter controls and it was thrown out by the supreme court
  • Options

Washington and New york tried to bring in stricter controls and it was thrown out by the supreme court
    Which i9s a reminder that things are broken root and branch. The NRA/Gun Lobby is so influential that they ensure super pro-2nd Amendment judges are the only ones appointed by Republicans. And because our legal system works on precedent, it means that once those judges have rules it's hard to undo it.
  • Options

Continuing his long-standing tradition of being completely incapable of empathy and having no ability to understand a sombre atmosphere.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Continuing his long-standing tradition of being completely incapable of empathy and having no ability to understand a sombre atmosphere.
    Not sure God is doing that great a job at the moment.
  • Options

shine166 said:

If mass shootings are seen as a problem by lawmakers then there will be more regulation but we have to conclude that it's not really an issue for them.

If a right to bear arms in a constitution written in 1791 that obviously belongs to a different age and set of circumstances is beyond debate it suggests unnecessary loss of life doesn't really matter.

The gun lobby in the US are beyond rational debate.....

back when guns probably couldnt accurat

No further action taken.

Bit different having one gun under the pillow for protection, than 45 automatic weapons stashed in your spare room
    Oh yes of course shine......it's entirely different.

You have a hand gun to protect your home, you have 45 automatic weapons if you want to start a fkin malitia.
  • Options
    he's probably proud of the way that everyone rallied round to help each other, just like obama, may, khan and others before them have said when atrocities occur, which this is.
  • Options

he's probably proud of the way that everyone rallied round to help each other, just like obama, may, khan and others before them have said when atrocities occur, which this is.

Agreed some people jump on anything. Trump is a dick, but nout wrong with that tweet.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Obama cried during the aftermath of Sandy Hook and tried to do something about it...Trump tweets saying how proud he is about the state of his country. A state that allowed the pointless deaths and 100's of injuries to completely innocent people.

A normal, rational person, in a position to actually make a difference but choosing not to, might feel shame rather than pride.