Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shooting incident in Vegas

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Continuing his long-standing tradition of being completely incapable of empathy and having no ability to understand a sombre atmosphere.
    Obama cried during the aftermath of Sandy Hook and tried to do something about it...Trump tweets saying how proud he is about the state of his country. A state that allowed the pointless deaths and 100's of injuries to completely innocent people.

A normal, rational person, in a position to actually make a difference but choosing not to, might feel shame rather than pride.
    he held a minutes silence at the white house yesterday, in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy i do not know what else he can do, i'm no big fan of trump i think the guy is a moron although slightly less of a moron than Clinton, but the constant comments on what he does, both on here, the news, social media becomes ridiculous.

i hope that this is a serious wake up call to america and there governments gun controls are reviewed so that we don't see this happen again, unfortunately it probably wont be no more than the last time we had a terrorist attack that would be the last.
    Yes, if only the President had something he could do....

Like proposing gun control legislation in congress.

Or putting the Executive Order banning people with mental illness from purchasing guns.

Or a broader EO on background checks, or perhaps making the modifier that he allegedly used to make his AR-15 basically an automatic weapon illegal.

Or shit, even trying to make assault rifles illegal.

But yeah, a minute's silence is nice too...

And let's be honest, if the shooter had been Muslim you'd be freaking the fuck out calling for concentration camps or banning people or whatever.
    as i said in the immediate aftermath. and then went on to say about the governments gun control.

me personally or trump?
    Well, both of you really.
    what a silly silly comment,

1st of all you go into one when i actually said he should do something about guns,

"i hope that this is a serious wake up call to america and there governments gun controls are reviewed so that we don't see this happen again"

but didn't let that get in the way of your lesson towards me, then you claim i would be calling for concentration camps if it was a muslim.

don't want to get into a row on here as its not the place.

for the record if you wish to personally insult me as claiming that i would call for a modern day auschwitz feel free to message me.
    You're right you did talk about gun control, but as I pointed out you also asked what more, beyond a minute's silence, he could do. And I explained it to you.

On the fact that your reaction would be different if the shooter would be Muslim, I don't have to wonder, I just have to look at past statements:

"what really fucks me off is that straight away its clearing the religion/Muslim name and there renamed extremists, there not they are extremist MUSLIMS, the religion knows no peace, there never happy unless there killing someone, as far as I'm concerned the world would be a better place without the religion that is Islam, enough is enough now, we're so wrapped up trying to appease them that were soon going to be wiped out, I would like anyone to come forward now that was shedding tears for the so called refugees now we have extremists all over Europe and fully expect more of these attacks."
    and did we have more attacks? yes
    did i ask for concentration camps? no

did say message me independently to try and take an argument away from the thread,but that was too hard for you too grasp, not a problem i stick by what i said there's been another 7 attacks in the uk alone since that attrocity in paris.

thanks for sharing with everyone have a gold star.
    You're right you didn't ask for concentration camps, you seemingly asked for the extermination of 1.2 billion people who "know no peace." Sorry to have misrepresented your statements.
    All Muslims are the same - no other religions have caused any trouble according to Breitbart.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

English pal of mine had a girlfriend who lived in Oakland.
    Guy broke into her apartment, she had a gun under her mattres.....he appeared in her bedroom doorway and she shot him stone dead!
    No further action taken.

I would say that is a justified homicide .. if she had not had a gun she could (or probably would have) been raped and/or murdered

This is an incident whereby gun ownership was a life saver. American cities are still crime ridden and many criminals are armed with guns or knives and have no respect for human life. Law abiding citizens have a right and many may feel the need to own a gun and to know how to use it.
    There is little or no justification though for anyone owning a rapid fire machine gun or the like

I have friends and relations in the states, some own guns, some don't .. a lot has to do with the area where they live and their own state of mind. To the gun owners it's just like owning a necessary tool
    Exactly Lincs.
    His intention was rape by the way.
    How does anyone know what his intention was if he's dead?

He was was being sought in Oakland at that time, it later turned out he had raped on other occasions and was then linked to those attacks following being shot and killed.
    Can't remember all the exact details it was 40+ years ago.
    I remember talking to her some years after the event and being amazed at how matter of fact she was about it.
  • Options

From twitter

I really think we need to be careful not to pigeonhole every gun owner as being an anti abortion, murderous gun nut here.
    No one pigeoholed any gun owners as being anti-abortion or murderous gun nuts other than the many muderous gun nuts who carry out these attacks almost daily.

The point was that in America they are quite happy to make it very difficult for people to do something legal (have an abortion) by putting all sort of barriers in the way but ANY restriction on gun ownership, gun control or gun modification is opposed by the NRA regardless that most americans favour tougher background checks and limitations of sales.

• Options

From twitter

I really think we need to be careful not to pigeonhole every gun owner as being an anti abortion, murderous gun nut here.
    No one pigeoholed any gun owners as being anti-abortion or murderous gun nuts other than the many muderous gun nuts who carry out these attacks almost daily.

The point was that in America they are quite happy to make it very difficult for people to do something legal (have an abortion) by putting all sort of barriers in the way but ANY restriction on gun ownership, gun control or gun modification is opposed by the NRA regardless that most americans favour tougher background checks and limitations of sales.

can I just

WHOOOOSH!
  • Options

From twitter

I agree with you on that, but i don't think this passage does do that, it's just asking for equivalence in their treatment (short of the wand up the ass). It's highlighting the difficulty of getting an abortion versus the ease of getting a gun. Which, in my opinion, is what makes it so powerful.
  • Options

From twitter

So you accept that someone can be pro abortion, anti assault weapons and be able to buy a shotgun to bust some clays at the weekend without having to have "an ultrasound wand up his arse (just because)" then?
  • Options
    I understand what the narrative said and was getting at, I just think we need to keep the discussion on track regarding military grade weapons being sold to all and sundry and not bring things like abortion into it ffs
  • Options

From twitter

can I just

WHOOOOSH!
    No, you've really, really missed the point.
  • Options
    Did anyone see Piers Morgan interviewing a guy from the NRA on breakfast telly? Im no fan of Morgans,hes a tool but the NRA bloke?? Jesus Christ,he just avoided the question of someone shooting nearly 600 people,just kept saying it was an automatic rifle which is banned and he hoped that nothing would change. He actually laughed at one point. I thought Piers Morgans head was going to explode,he was so enraged. If that is the thoughts of someone high up in the NRA then God help America.
  • Options

From twitter

So you accept that someone can be pro abortion, anti assault weapons and be able to buy a shotgun to bust some clays at the weekend without having to have "an ultrasound wand up his arse (just because)" then?
    No one was actually suggeting that.

It was a point being made that some in the US are quite happy to restict legal practices (ie abortion) with all sort of checks, delays, investigations and even unecessary medical interventions "the ultrasound" when it suits the fundamentalist religious views of SOME americans but won't do the same to control the sale and resale of assult rifles even though 59 people are killed on the street.

Amber Rudd has just suggested a change in the law to control the sale of acid to try and prevent more of the vile acid attacks we've seen plus longer sentances for such attacks. May not stop such attacks completely but it may reduce them. So government can act and well done to Rudd and the Tories for doing something. It won't solve the underlying issue of the violence and why people, usually young men, do this but it is something.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Did anyone see Piers Morgan interviewing a guy from the NRA on breakfast telly? Im no fan of Morgans,hes a tool but the NRA bloke?? Jesus Christ,he just avoided the question of someone shooting nearly 600 people,just kept saying it was an automatic rifle which is banned and he hoped that nothing would change. He actually laughed at one point. I thought Piers Morgans head was going to explode,he was so enraged. If that is the thoughts of someone high up in the NRA then God help America.

It was the one time I had watched Piers and thought... he's the bellend you want fighting your corner on this.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It was the one time I had watched Piers and thought... he's the bellend you want fighting your corner on this.
    Thats exactly what i thought,i agreed with everything he said for once.
  • Options

From twitter

No one was actually suggeting that.

It was a point being made that some in the US are quite happy to restict legal practices (ie abortion) with all sort of checks, delays, investigations and even unecessary medical interventions "the ultrasound" when it suits the fundamentalist religious views of SOME americans but won't do the same to control the sale and resale of assult rifles even though 59 people are killed on the street.

Amber Rudd has just suggested a change in the law to control the sale of acid to try and prevent more of the vile acid attacks we've seen plus longer sentances for such attacks. May not stop such attacks completely but it may reduce them. So government can act and well done to Rudd and the Tories for doing something. It won't solve the underlying issue of the violence and why people, usually young men, do this but it is something.

It is logical to restrict the sale of acid. I despair that people have so much hate in them to even contemplate using it on another person.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Thats exactly what i thought,i agreed with everything he said for once.
    There is no point debating with the NRA - they've made it abundantly clear that gun ownership is more important than public safety. No matter how many people die their position will not shift.

The NRA would rather have less legislation than more and they will argue that 'responsible' gun owners should not suffer because a minority of gun owners indulge in homicide. If owning a gun is more important than thousands of seemingly unnecessary deaths nothing will change.
  • Options

The most amazing stat is that of the 547 injured and taken to the hospital, not one has died. That is quite a performance by that staff.

well said

shame they have to do it but well said

It will happen again though, a nation that believes so much that owning a firearm in suburbia makes you safe and immune from "Some people that are evil" is fucked.

A very good friend of mine who has served in Bosnia, Iraq, Northern Ireland, Africa and Afghanistan told me a goos anecdote about how we all get excited with a was full of cash in the pocket and how desperate we are to spend it, the same is true for frustrated gun owners. Rise that own a firearm but haven't fired a weapon in anger at another human being are very dangerous people.
  • Options
    Steve Bannon saying it will be 'the end of everything's if Trump supports gun control. Wise words from a great thinker.

I hope Trump stands firm and doesn't let the lunatic left dictate gun policy in the USA. We need more guns not less if we're serious about safety.

The US is a free country not a dictatorship and gun ownership should not be restricted. It's easy to overreact after a mass shooting and loss of life but fortunately Congress will I hope hold its nerve.

It would be great if we could access automatic weapons in the UK - it would make things a lot safer.
  • Options

The most amazing stat is that of the 547 injured and taken to the hospital, not one has died. That is quite a performance by that staff.

It’s probably my memory, but I swear they reported 5 had died in hospital last night.
  • Options

Steve Bannon saying it will be 'the end of everything's if Trump supports gun control. Wise words from a great thinker.

I hope Trump stands firm and doesn't let the lunatic left dictate gun policy in the USA. We need more guns not less if we're serious about safety.

The US is a free country not a dictatorship and gun ownership should not be restricted. It's easy to overreact after a mass shooting and loss of life but fortunately Congress will I hope hold its nerve.

It would be great if we could access automatic weapons in the UK - it would make things a lot safer.

I've read some nonsense on here, @hoof_it_up_to_benty , but you really take the biscuit.

Fewer guns, not less. Jeez!
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I've read some nonsense on here, @hoof_it_up_to_benty , but you really take the biscuit.

I was being ironic.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You tell ‘em Ricky.....

• Options

IdleHans said:

I was being ironic.....
    Yes, I got that. I was just being snippy about grammar.
  • Options
    American ''Hello I'd like a gun please''
    Shopkeeper '' Certainly sir. Can I have your name?''

(puts name on register of citizens never to be given a firearm under any circumstances)
  • Options
    Carter said:

well said

shame they have to do it but well said

It will happen again though, a nation that believes so much that owning a firearm in suburbia makes you safe and immune from "Some people that are evil" is fucked.

A very good friend of mine who has served in Bosnia, Iraq, Northern Ireland, Africa and Afghanistan told me a goos anecdote about how we all get excited with a was full of cash in the pocket and how desperate we are to spend it, the same is true for frustrated gun owners. Rise that own a firearm but haven't fired a weapon in anger at another human being are very dangerous people.
    Yeah and there are studies that back that up, especially with suicide.

We talk a lot about gun violence and homicide, but suicides make up I think like 60% of gun deaths.
  • Options
    I was wondering today if the poor dead and injured how many of them have the same weapons (not in quantity) but own those sort of weapons and how if they are not dead do they and their family feel about that today

Are they questioning the need and right or are they still glad they do

The whole thing is a shambles and it will never ever ever change and that is so sad

When in Florida the other year I loved it I loved the smell the feel the people Mickey Mouse all of it

Entering the park to metal detectors was nothing strange it was comforting, but i never for one minute thought about the locals who on a normal day carry guns

But now instead of fucked up retarded jihad terrorists the next time in my mind is going to be the fucked up American in the hotel room next to me may have machine guns and thousands of rds of ammo

What sort of place is it that this is allowed
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    That man had more guns in his hotel room than UK citizens can buy paracetamol in a single packet.

I'm not really adding anything to the debate here, but I just cannot get my head around the mentality that sees all these horrific events of gun violence and a) continues to reject any suggestion of even minor gun controls and b) continues to desire to own such weapons.

Even if you accept that people should be allowed to own guns for self defence, and I do not, it should be one, maybe two guns - say one hunting rifle and one hand gun. You want to buy another hand gun, fine but you have to hand in your old one which is then melted down. You can't buy as much ammo as you like every time you go into a gun shop, and every purchase is logged so that if multiple purchases are made in a short space of time it gets flagged and you can expect a spot check from the fuzz.

You don't need automatic or semi-automatic weapons for any reason other than killing people. If people insist on being able to fire such things to get a kick - then only at licensed gun clubs with specifically designed ranges and the weapons can legally never leave the gun clubs premises and are owned by the gun club, not the members.

The above will never happen and, for me (and I'm sure many people), it doesn't go far enough but I just can't understand how anyone could feel the above is impinging on their or anyone else's freedom and who could see this as an unreasonable solution to try and reduce the amount of death and destruction seen daily in the US.
  • Options

A five minute web search reveals that around 300,000 killed by guns in the US between 2003-2012. 30,000 a year which is roughly the same as on the roads in that country.
    Here's the thing: It's a few hundred in mass shootings, whilst 11-12,000 killed in homicides. So what of the other 18,000 killed by guns each year in the US?
    Suicide!
    We are talking a different culture where the chances of being shot in a dispute or mugging are ten times that of neighbouring Canada.
    But 1,500 gun suicides per month! WTF? That would be 50 per day!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Anyone more understanding of guns can correct me but why else would he be wearing gloves if he didn’t plan on somehow getting away? You’d assume they’d have his name and details anyway through the hotel but it doesn’t add up to me. Add on the sheer amounts of guns in the room as well as cameras in the room and outside it seems to me more will come out about this as it goes on.
  • Options

Pretty sure that's not right, just going by the details of just one story I've read about someone killed there.

Now guys, if you want to be really gobsmacked, read the story of how US police trace who owns a weapon used in the commission of a crime. Now this story dates back to August 2016, so maybe things have improved since then, but the paranoia of the NRA types is making this job far harder than it should be.

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal-bureau-of-way-too-many-guns
  • Options
    We can debate all we like really...its not something we can influence other than boycotting holidays to the states in an effort to bring change. But in reality that's not going to work.

However, its stated that 55 Million Americans have guns (legally) so how about the other 250 Million Americans stand up and be counted and say, enough is enough and outlaw any sort of gun outside of registered gun clubs and law enforcement (albeit there is a case here to with hold from them too, he says tongue in cheek).

Only in America........