Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Doncaster: Post match views

Comments

• Options

Karma what happened to the ref at the beginning of the 2nd half but another good result for the boys.

He ran into Magennis as they both were ball watching , think his head clipped Josh’s and he came off much worse when JM didn’t even flinch
    This was about 5 seconds into the 2nd half. The referee was badly positioned inside the centre circle. If you watch most kick offs the ref is well out of the circle which avoids collisions with players
  • Options
    We should have taken more shots from outside the area, their keeper never kept hold of shots and could have had some tap ins.

This is where we miss having a pacey support striker.

Good win, especially after their last result. Nice to see us hold onto a lead and get a clean sheet.

Fosu impressive. Why was Clarke out wide so much? Defense solid. Much better performance second half. Should have won by more. Could have been a very different game if the shit ref hadn't got injured.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Been out all day so only just see this. Happy with a scrappy win but where was Marshall?

Slight calf strain apparently, but nothing serious
  • Options
    A rather unexpected 1-0, 2-1 or 3-1 would have reflected the number of shots we had, plus the chances they had

Bauer my MOTM today, was immense at the back, not having Pearce alongside him he was very much the "aggressive" centre back, and led by example

Frustrating performance by Holmes, in open play when running at defenders he was as excellent as ever, but when he has time to cross, from corners, free kicks or open play, his delivery was terrible.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Macronate said:

Has there been confirmation of why no Marshall?

I thought it was down to Eric Clapton but he only admits to shooting the Sheriff.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Haven't seen anything official - but he was sat with the non-playing players at the back of the lower west and hobbling around quite a bit...
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Macronate said:

Haven't seen anything official - but he was sat with the non-playing players at the back of the lower west and hobbling around quite a bit...
    Thanks (I mean this one).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone said on the match thread that the ref had collapsed - was he ok?
  • Options
    I thought we deserved the win because of the second half display but there wasn't that much between the teams. Playoffs look very possible, upper half finish almost a certainty, but we will struggle against teams that are able to press our defence and midfield.
  • Options
    PARAO (posted after reading all other posts)

Very disjointed performance with too many passes going astray & runs ending up in dead0unds or into their defenders. Holmes not up to his usually (high) standard & his crosses were abysmal. Bauer & Konsa had very good games & Fosu deserved his goal - about the only player willing to shoot and I very dodgy booking- the ref had to go over to the lino before showing him a card, and the lino was twice the distance away from the incident than the ref.

As for the free kick from JM offside. Haven't heard of this change in the law & if correct is diabolical. What happens if JM is a yard into their half when the ball is played towards him, but he then tracks back with their on-rushing defender & gets flagged offside 10 yards into our half - thus giving the opposition a free-kick in a potentially dangerous position.

Ref deserved all he got. pillock
  • Options
    And someone tell the Donny boys when giving it large in Floyd rd. Puff out your chest not your beer belly.

• Options

A win's a win, I'll take the 3 points and we'll move on. Millwall lost as well, good weekend!!

Good weekend? With our feathered "friends" from down the road result? :-)
  • Options

PARAO (posted after reading all other posts)

Very disjointed performance with too many passes going astray & runs ending up in dead0unds or into their defenders. Holmes not up to his usually (high) standard & his crosses were abysmal. Bauer & Konsa had very good games & Fosu deserved his goal - about the only player willing to shoot and I very dodgy booking- the ref had to go over to the lino before showing him a card, and the lino was twice the distance away from the incident than the ref.

As for the free kick from JM offside. Haven't heard of this change in the law & if correct is diabolical. What happens if JM is a yard into their half when the ball is played towards him, but he then tracks back with their on-rushing defender & gets flagged offside 10 yards into our half - thus giving the opposition a free-kick in a potentially dangerous position.

Ref deserved all he got. pillock

Even more weird is that the player can track back and then be the next person to touch the ball, in their own penalty area! It would be an offside indirect FK in your area against you. It will happen eventually with some kind of high looping ball or something.
    A very strange rule change.
  • Options

Someone said on the match thread that the ref had collapsed - was he ok?

Collided with Josh at the start of the 2nd half (straight from kickoff) was knocked out cold

Feeling better now (no idea why Josh is only in his pants!)

Wonder if the incident was Magennis' way of saying to the Referee...

"You wanted to see what happened between me and the Doncaster Goalkeeper at the end of the First Half... Well this is what happened!! HAIII YAAA"
  • Options
    PARSOP (posted after reading some other posts)

My post match view was that of Final Score crediting us with three more points than we really have and putting us fourth on equal points with Bradford thus lulling my youngest boy and I with an even greater false sense of security before our first match of the season later this month (which we're bound to draw 1-1)

I feel a bit let down know I've seen the real league table.

Maybe the referee does the Final score league tables.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Second game of the season and pleased to say it was much better then the Wigan game.

Got tickets at the front of the west stand behind the dugout. Wanted to see how Robinson and the other coaches managed the game. Findings: Bowyer is astute. Watches the game from the front of the technical area and quietly cajoles and encourages. Surprised me that he was pretty calm throughout.

Jackson was often in conversation with Robinson and Robinson was telling him which players to speak to at half time.

Robinson himself was like a whirling dervish. Shocking language and berating of the fourth official. But was mostly encouraging to the players and positive in his comments to be honest and as a three they seemed to gel quite nicely and were a tight knit unit.

The game itself was decent. I like the pace of our attacks and feel safe that our back four will pretty much manage what is thrown at them. My only concern is the opposition putting their centre forward on Solly or Da Silva and then the defenders hitting the diagonals to them but otherwise pretty secure.

A solid 7/10 performance all round.

which then left their shortest player (no 19) up against our BFG who had him in his pocket all game.
  • Options

Second game of the season and pleased to say it was much better then the Wigan game.

Got tickets at the front of the west stand behind the dugout. Wanted to see how Robinson and the other coaches managed the game. Findings: Bowyer is astute. Watches the game from the front of the technical area and quietly cajoles and encourages. Surprised me that he was pretty calm throughout.

Jackson was often in conversation with Robinson and Robinson was telling him which players to speak to at half time.

Robinson himself was like a whirling dervish. Shocking language and berating of the fourth official. But was mostly encouraging to the players and positive in his comments to be honest and as a three they seemed to gel quite nicely and were a tight knit unit.

The game itself was decent. I like the pace of our attacks and feel safe that our back four will pretty much manage what is thrown at them. My only concern is the opposition putting their centre forward on Solly or Da Silva and then the defenders hitting the diagonals to them but otherwise pretty secure.

which then left their shortest player (no 19) up against our BFG who had him in his pocket all game.
    That was Alfie May the kid signed from Hythe... Had a great chance that hit the bar in the first half (their best of the game)

He somehow injured himself afterwards though
  • Options
    Our finishing was poor today but the passing and organization looked spot on.
  • Options

Yes it did but they weren't knocking high 'diags' as Robinson called them to the 19. This is why Sarr can on towards the end. Is a common tactic against us but we dealt with it pretty well.

• Options
    As usual posting without reading.

A hard fought victory against a determined, industrious Doncaster Rovers outfit who never gave up.

The two outstanding moments were Fosu-Henry's howitzer for our goal which was powerful enough to beat Lawlor the Doncaster 'keeper at his near post and a thoroughly irritating referee accidentally colliding with a brick wall called Magennis and coming off decidedly second best and needing to be replaced.

Other than those incidents it was something of a war of attrition and a case of he who wanted it most would prevail. In the second half we had 3 good goal attempts in rapid succession none of which succeeded and, with just a one goal margin, one always feared a Doncaster equaliser but fortunately we held out and in retrospect, although it didn't feel that way during the match, Amos was never seriously troubled thanks to a combination of brave defending and profligacy from Doncaster.

Good to continue the momentum from the Fleetwood victory and a point or better on Tuesday from a tough looking fixture at Oxford would also be very welcome.

One thing I will say is that last season we would have drawn that game 1-1 or even lost it so we have improved.

COYR