Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Doncaster: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Should have killed them off in the first half but as the game wore on we were pushed deeper and deeper until our midfield were colliding with our back four. On at least two occasions when clearances were attempted they rebounded from a Charlton player back into our penalty area. Fair play to Donny they could easily have salvaged something from this. As has been proved by Wigan, a better side with a little more composure up front would have beaten us. But, it's three points and as Derek Ufton said to us after the game, Arsenal once won the league with lots of 1-0 wins. Finger's crossed!
  • Options
    Nice to win with a clean sheet but made hard work of it.
  • Options
    Made hard work of it. Our finishing was again wasteful. We are going to loose points to it this season.

As much as I have been pleasantly surprised by Fosu, he frustrates the hell out of me - holds the ball too long and his decision making is poor at times. Hopefully that will improve with experience.

Clarke was not at the races today and I would have taken him off 15 mins earlier.

Impressed with Konsa and am convinced he will be gone in January.

The major concern for me is how open we are down the flanks. Our fullbacks get exposed far too easily and I keep seeing crosses coming into the box unchallenged.

Quite liked Marquis. Was busy and can see how he has scored goals at this level.

Would rotate on Tuesday as IMO a few of ours were running on fumes at the end.
  • Options

Someone said on the match thread that the ref had collapsed - was he ok?

Collided with Josh at the start of the 2nd half (straight from kickoff) was knocked out cold

Feeling better now (no idea why Josh is only in his pants!)

Always thought our Josh was a big lad, but if anyone’s in doubt...
  • Options

Collided with Josh at the start of the 2nd half (straight from kickoff) was knocked out cold

Fortunately that part of the photo has been cut off....

oh you meant....
  • Options
    Great result and well deserved. We could have had 5 or 6 and their keeper pulled of some worldies.

Superb atmosphere in the North Upper and pleased to see King Robbo getting so well supported and getting results.

Think this is a big result for it. Ground out and held on for a deserved win.

Team looks well balanced and midfield look great going forward. That Fosu is some player.

Well done Charlton a great CAFC afternoon.

• Options
    I played against Alfie May a few years ago on a Sunday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dizzle said:

I played against Alfie May a few years ago on a Sunday.

Who was he playing for?
  • Options
    Although we had many chances, I thought too it was disjointed. With Billy Clarke well out wide we lacked someone to hold up the ball. I guess it was to get Fosu more central but the three including Holmes kept switching. It made for an unsettled side.

Three welcomed points.
  • Options
    Couldn't make it today. Seen mention of the crowd being awesome. Anyone know the official attendance?
  • Options
    Watched on ifollow, thought tactically we looked reasonable , agree we still invite too many easy crosses, a win is a win...
    On we march !!!
  • Options
    Watched the first half on iFollow but a power cut wiped out the second half completely for me, returning just as I got into bed!

Donny didn't deserve to go in behind at half time; they dominated after 15 minutes.

There are no replays on iFollow and I don't take commentary, as the sound's a little behind the play where I am. It was also running with several minutes delay. I immediately thought the Fosu incident was a penalty and their shout wasn't but that's probably bias!

First half comments alone: Jay Da Silva had a poor game, summed up by the dreadful foul for the booking. Fosu was all over the park and scored well, though the keeper should possibly have done better, and the unsung player in the side, JFC, had an excellent half, I thought. A couple of stray passes but broke up play several times and always seemed to be in the picture. Last time I watched iFollow I commented he was anonymous.

So, a fiver not so well spent but a good three points.
  • Options

The ref is sitting down you know.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

There are no replays on iFollow and I don't take commentary, as the sound's a little behind the play where I am.

You can replay last 10 seconds by clicking the circle thingy on the bottom left of the stream. You can do it more than once if you need more than 10 seconds.
    Open commentry in separate window and pause untill in synch.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Frustrating to watch skillful players like Holmes, Da Silva and Clarke misfire throughout the afternoon. However, pleased to see the workmen dig in and limit the industrious opposition from troubling Amos too much. A win is great, but could / should be beating teams like Doncaster at a canter.

Hope the insurance policy taken out by big Josh early in the second half will bring him a bit more 'luck' with future refereeing decisions this season.
  • Options

There are no replays on iFollow and I don't take commentary, as the sound's a little behind the play where I am.

You can replay last 10 seconds by clicking the circle thingy on the bottom left of the stream. You can do it more than once if you need more than 10 seconds.
    Open commentry in separate window and pause untill in synch.
    Cheers
    Echo this. Works well for me;

Create your own replays with the "back ten seconds" button

Syncs audio using pause buttons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    A weird game, certainly one of the longest I've ever seen. As others have said a win is a win, but we made hard work of it. After such a great start, we should have won easily, but in the end were lucky to get all three points as Doncaster could have snatched one at the death. Hope Clarke plays in the middle in future, out wide is not for him. He has been so good this season, so not sure why he was moved there, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He was unlucky with the one that hit the post. It wasn't boring, but there should have been lots more goals, from both sides!
  • Options
    Wonder why Holmes wasn't the one shooting from free-kicks yesterday?

That was a fairly comfortable 1-0 win. Donny never really looked like scoring.

Sarr didn't have to make a single header after he came on. Donny saw him and didn't bang the ball in his direction.

Bauer was superb and Fosu would've caught the eye of the visiting scouts. Tremendous work by someone at the club to sign him.
  • Options
    Dont know if anyone else feels like I do yet I hated when we brought Sarr on... Straight away the swap happened when Doncaster had a corner and I've always heard that its the worst time to make a substitution as the player coming on might not be sure who they're marking for a few moments and in that time, the opposition can score a goal etc.

Didnt help the fact that Sarr had such a good game against Fleetwood I was sitting there praying: "Dont blow it, dont blow it"...

Not everyone will have seen that Fleetwood performance so will still have the old views about him
  • Options
    Thought we made hard work of the win, we really need to improve on our finishing and be more clinical. This could easily have been one of the games where we should have won but didn't, TBH last season we'd have probably drawn or lost that.

We're going to come a cropper (and nearly did) with our continued play it out from the back regardless, don't know what went wrong from set plays, every corner and free kick pretty much was poorly delivered.

A few didn't have their best games, but we won, despite not being right at it, so thumbs up from me, tough one Tuesday,
  • Options
    Agree with all that’s been said. Cliches abound but “we’d have lost/drawn that last year”, “hard fought victory” and “winning whilst not at our best” pretty much sum it up for me. Thought we were the better of two pretty poor teams in the first half with a few of our stars so far this season having mares (da Silva, Billy, Holmes) with only Fosu providing attacking impetus with Josh bravely ploughing a lone furrow but with nothing coming off. Goal out of nothing and we should have pushed on but didn’t.

Second half a different game once the utterly incompetent referee had been dispatched. Glad he’s ok but what an absolute plum. Looked to me like he dropped his whistle and Josh cleared him out as he bent down to pick it up. The standard of refereeing is criminal in this league. Thought the second half was quite entertaining in a tense sort of way. If we’d got two I think we’d have got four or five but too many players off form and a strange decision to play an ineffective Billy out wide.

A win is a win. One that may we’ll prove important as the season goes on. Let’s see what Messrs Reeves and Marshall can add. The former didn’t impress on his cameo yesterday but proudly boasts a 100% pass completion record (one from one!).

Great crowd noise yesterday. Constant backing.
  • Options
    I did think as a unit we defended really, really well. Nobody put a foot wrong and as a result, Donny had no clear cut chances.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Dont know if anyone else feels like I do yet I hated when we brought Sarr on... Straight away the swap happened when Doncaster had a corner and I've always heard that its the worst time to make a substitution as the player coming on might not be sure who they're marking for a few moments and in that time, the opposition can score a goal etc.

Didnt help the fact that Sarr had such a good game against Fleetwood I was sitting there praying: "Dont blow it, dont blow it"...

Not everyone will have seen that Fleetwood performance so will still have the old views about him

I thought taking of Da Silva the shortest player in our team and replacing him with Sarr the tallest player we have was a good decision, considering that Doncaster were pressing for an equaliser and trying to put crosses into our box.
    Sarr is just massive! Certainly a contrast to Da Silva! Looks like he's a part of the team, not a kid from abroad, finding his way anymore. He will make mistakes this season lets hope people are as understanding with him as they would any other player.
  • Options

I didn’t see the Fleetwood performance but having been around the training ground a little bit, you can see his confidence is back and I am really pleased for him.

I do agree you should never be making a substitution when defending a corner but in yesterday’s situation, Robinson spoke with him extensively prior to coming on and we took off Dasilva so the height difference was obviously the reason for that specific timing.