Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Doncaster: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    PWEG

another three points, no view on performance as wasn't there.
  • Options

The Fosu yellow card: I sit too far away to comment as to whether it was "simulation" or not.

One point though. When the referee waved away a penalty appeal by Doncaster about 10 minutes before, why did their player not get a yellow card?

I don't think Fosu dived, though those closer than me (inc the ref) may have seen it differently.

But the ref is perfectly entitled to say "no penalty" but not book anyone for diving. I think both the Donny player and Fosu stumbled, lost their balance and fell - not a foul, not a dive.
  • Options
    A Great 3 points from a patchy but hard working performance.

If we had a top referee for the whole 90 minutes we would have been down to 9 men !

Dasilva pulled back the attacker for a mandatory yellow card and then did that late tackle minutes later. (only booked for the second offence)

Clarke kicked out at the Donny player and got away with a yellow.

Their number 9 should have been booked as well as Fosu. If they were both dives in the referee's opinion

We didn't quite function as a team yesterday but Robinson has got the work ethic instilled in this team and we have some wonderful flair in this side
    and to keep a clean sheet was a big plus as we couldn't get the killer 2nd goal.

Good support from the faithful who stayed with the team for the full 100 minutes.

Well done you. (and me)
  • Options
    Those who claim that a player should have been sent off for a yellow card offence that took place before their eventual yellow card need a lesson or two in causality tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Those who claim that a player should have been sent off for a yellow card offence that took place before their eventual yellow card need a lesson or two in causality tbh

As it's you Leuth, i will treat your comment as Surrealism tbh
  • Options

I did think as a unit we defended really, really well. Nobody put a foot wrong and as a result, Donny had no clear cut chances.

They had one in the second half. A cross fell to a Donny player on the penalty spot, but he just stroked it straight at Amos. Clear chance.

A win is a win. One that may we’ll prove important as the season goes on. Let’s see what Messrs Reeves and Marshall can add. The former didn’t impress on his cameo yesterday but proudly boasts a 100% pass completion record (one from one!).

Great crowd noise yesterday. Constant backing.

Bit harsh. He only got the ball once or twice and looked fine when he had it.

Agree about the crowd. The Upper North (inc the drummer) were incredible. Not sure they stopped singing/drumming at all the second half, once the ref had been changed, and they altered the entire mood of the match. They were my MotM yesterday.

At half time I was calling for a UFO to beam the ref up off the pitch, he was that bad.

I know we defended quite well yesterday, but I'd like to see the Konsa, Bauer, Sarr, Dasilva combination (as used v. Fleetwood) given a run.

We badly need Reeves and/or Marshall to step up now, as our midfield play was ragged yesterday. Too many mistakes by far.

But the difference this season is that when we're not fully on it, we still pose a threat.
  • Options

Very surprised how many have said about the crowd noise as for much of the game I felt it was very flat.

The 100-200 up by the drums we're fantastic and kept it up throughout, but that was largely it. I was in the East and vocally sing along but I'm very much on my own. North Lower didn't look like it offered much, certainly on the left and middle side. Taking people out the NU for the cheaper offering in the Lower hasn't helped imo as a lot of those would be more active in joining in and spreading it when upstairs

Not a criticism but I genuinely don't know how so many people can sit in silence during a game of football.

First half I could hear the players shouting so quiet was the crowd at times.

The ref did gee the home fans up as did the late onslaught.

What surprised me was how many fans in the lower north/Covered End didn't return to their seats in the second half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First game this season for me. Some very good football. We did fail to clear effectively from defensive positions too many times and can see how better teams wouldn't advantage of that. Maybe that's fairly easy to coach out of our game, I don't know.

Found it a bit too noisy in the north upper. Not the place it used to be for some quiet contemplation and a chat with the neighbours.

@Sage thanks for the ticket tip which worked a treat.
  • Options

First game this season for me. Some very good football. We did fail to clear effectively from defensive positions too many times and can see how better teams wouldn't advantage of that. Maybe that's fairly easy to coach out of our game, I don't know.

Found it a bit too noisy in the north upper. Not the place it used to be for some quiet contemplation and a chat with the neighbours.

@Sage thanks for the ticket tip which worked a treat.

No worries, glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Good football at
    times
    against an improving Doncaster team . Deserved the three points with their keeper MOM . Konsa looked quality again .
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Good win, hard going at times and lost our way a bit after we scored until half time. Dasilva had a poor first half but picked up in 2nd. Konsa looks a very classy operator at the back. Fosu and Holmes now give us two decent running options and Josh works very hard.

We defended well as Donny built pressure in second half, but we really should have taken one of the countless opportunities to score a second. Would have liked to have seen Clarke in the game more

Had to miss the last 8 mins of extra time to get the train, but a happy family currently on the journey home.

Up the Addicks

Yeah, I saw you sneaking out :wink:
    How did your lads find it ?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

One word: Professional.

Weren't at our best, though we definitely improved after half time and created some good chances in the second half--Clarke had a looping header cleared off the line, Magennis then had two blocked before Clarke hit it over. Mag had one saved, Fosu forced a couple awkward saves. I think saying we were "shit" is harsh. We weren't great, but we weren't awful and probably should have had two or three.

This is the type of game we would have drawn last year and the year before, and maybe even earlier this season. But we held out, we defended excellently by defending them 30 yards from goal instead of in our own area, and we got a clean sheet.

This is the type of win we haven't had this season--scruffy, gritting it out, and defending well.

A lot to be pleased about today.

Huge credit to Bauer and Konsa. Both were excellent, as was Kashi in front of them. And Solly didn't put a foot wrong either.

This.
  • Options

Very surprised how many have said about the crowd noise as for much of the game I felt it was very flat.

The 100-200 up by the drums we're fantastic and kept it up throughout, but that was largely it. I was in the East and vocally sing along but I'm very much on my own. North Lower didn't look like it offered much, certainly on the left and middle side. Taking people out the NU for the cheaper offering in the Lower hasn't helped imo as a lot of those would be more active in joining in and spreading it when upstairs

Not a criticism but I genuinely don't know how so many people can sit in silence during a game of football.

If you get too animated in the West Stand you're likely to knock over a flask of Bovril or upset you neighbours rug. Watching in stoney silence is the only thing that prevents us falling into anarchy.
  • Options
    When i was an upper west s/t holder many moons ago i saw a fight break out over a Werthers Original. Of course when i say fight, there was much more tutting than head butting going on...
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    HI said.
    What surprised me was how many fans in the lower north/Covered End didn't return to their seats in the second half.

There was a lot of checking of tickets when entering the Covered End/NWQuad perhaps people moved from the lower to the upper at half time when no checking was taking place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

We're going to come a cropper (and nearly did) with our continued play it out from the back regardless

Fleetwood's goal originated from a short Amos pass, resulting in JFC losing possession and them scoring.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

HI said.

There was a lot of checking of tickets when entering the Covered End/NWQuad perhaps people moved from the lower to the upper at half time when no checking was taking place.

If I'd known I'd have done the same
  • Options
    There's...no way to go from N Lower to N Upper? Unless you know the secret knock?
  • Options
    Or unless you smuggle in one of those grappling-hook harpoon guns, idk
  • Options
    Leuth said:

There's...no way to go from N Lower to N Upper? Unless you know the secret knock?

Oh yes, there is !
  • Options
    Bloke behind me in lower west must have been a migrant from the north stand over for the day. All sorts of singing and clapping going on.... most unusual....

Deffo felt that those around me were more animated than usual in 2nd half, particularly. Drummer and co in north stand were the catalysts.
  • Options
    That may well have been me @Siv_in_Norfolk

Good cheers @Covered End
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for that.

One thing that I know he will learn with experience is his decision making, and although he was excellent yesterday and scored the winner, that chance where all Fosu had to do was slip in Magennis for a one v one has really irritated me. I didn’t notice it at the time.

It’s the little things like that in the final third so far this season that has stopped us scoring a lot more or being more comfortable when winning.
  • Options
    PARAS (Posting After Reading All Submissions - and no, they won't influence me either!).

I love how Robinson laps it up when we win! The conscious effort he makes to ensure he's last off the pitch to court as much applause and praise as possible is priceless!!
  • Options
    Was there a handball from their guy on the floor during that goalmouth scramble?