Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I've just googled it and the rumour is on the bbc site now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42748547
  • Options

On the BBC that we've made an approach, so likely to be true
  • Options

Anthony Stokes could be on his way to Charlton Athletic, as Scottish outfit Hibernian look to offload him in the January transfer window.

One stumbling block initially could be that Hibs want to receive a fee - something Charlton can't offer right now, with the club looking for new ownership and putting a stop to any permanent transfers.

However, both parties may look at a loan deal, depending on how desperate the Scottish side want to offload Stokes.

Charlton are also expected to announce the loan signing of Crystal Palace wideman Sullay Kaikai, with the 22-year-old at the Addicks' training ground today, ready to take part in his first session.
  • Options
    The Scottish paper that first flew this kite reckons that a fee has been offered. So which version is bollocks? Scottish newspaper or CAFC? Lennon wants rid of Stokes cos of 'off field incidents', gobby's record with personalities is tremendous so AS would be a perfect choice.
    I've no idea why anybody would make up a story of a rumoured transfer of a no mark player from a small Scottish club to a 3rd division English club but it's barely credible.
    Has AS played for/with gobby before? We do know that KR likes to stick with what he knows, even if what little he knows is cack.
  • Options
    Maybe a swap deal with Ajose could happen? Kill two birds and all that?
  • Options

I've just googled it and the rumour is on the bbc site now.

Why would we sign another player who has an attitude problem, desperation?
  • Options
    Hibs aren't a small club. Stokes is a thug of a player and will no doubt bring problems / cause unrest.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Hibs aren't a small club. Stokes is a thug of a player and will no doubt bring problems / cause unrest.

Hopefully he will restrict that behaviour to the opposition.
  • Options
    Did stokes turn us down previously ????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People take a player turning a club down too personally, its not like Stokes is a die hard Charlton supporter
  • Options
    Decent scoring record in Scotland awful scoring record in England. Convicted for a very nasty assault in Dublin a few years ago - 2 yr suspended sentence. No thanks
  • Options
    Sage said:

Gleeson who we tried to sign at the beginning of the month and Roland pulled that deal has now signed for Ipswich on a free until the end of the season.

Wish there was a "frustrating" button.

That said, and with the greatest of love and respect to Robinson, of he had championship offers, would he really have come to us? I know he's worked with Robinson before but... I dunno.

That's not to say Robinson was lying, though he might well have been. It might have been a case that we did have Gleeson lined up and he would still have gone to Ipswich upon learning of their interest.

Nonetheless, still frustrating. He does seem to be a player who can pick a pass, and we could use that in this team.
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Did stokes turn us down previously ????

Had to decide between us and Sunderland when we were in the Premier League, he chose the latter
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I know Stokes narrowly avoided some jail time a few years back for an assault but what other skeletons does he have in his closet, allegedly or otherwise?

Purely from a footballing perspective, he's a decent size and if he has some aggression then we do need that in our lone striker. He has a good goal scoring record north of the border, but has largely flopped when venturing south, although he has never played as low as League 1 which would probably be about SPL level.

I doubt he was even in the top 3 or 4 targets identified by KR, if at all - more likely Alex McCleish has put us on to his possible availability, and beggars can't be choosers. That said, we could probably do worse as long as he isn't a total pain in the arse in the dressing room. He does at least score goals and have experience.
  • Options
    Stokes played for Palace so everyone will welcome him.

He also scored a lot of goals for Celtic.
  • Options
    The most worrying thing is that first time around it was Pardew who wanted to sign him.
  • Options
    Liverpool in for Konsa.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Liverpool in for Konsa.

Yet with 3 PL clubs wanting him, RD won't be able to get more than £3-4M, probably.
  • Options
    Has he got a buy out clause in his contract like Gomez?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, if RD wants £55M and the highest offer is £25M then let’s hop that Brighton, Everton and Liverpool bid up Konsa’s fee to £30M to bridge the gap.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

If he can put the ball into the onion bag then that's all I care about. Its not like he's a convicted rapist or child molester. Bowyer's got form, but no-one moaned when he came back.

As for Gleeson. Another one that KR spouted on about that probably had no intention of coming here. As I said a few weeks ago - KR can spout off a host of names but until they sign it means feck all.
  • Options
    Looks like they don’t even want a fee according to The Scottish Sun Sport - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2117132/hibs-anthony-stokes-leave-free-easter-road/
  • Options

Looks like they don’t even want a fee according to The Scottish Sun Sport - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2117132/hibs-anthony-stokes-leave-free-easter-road/

Doesn’t sound good that though does it.
  • Options

Don't want him. We already have an owner who is a cancer for the club. Last thing we need is a cancer of a player as well.
  • Options
    I'd rather we put a bid in for Oli Shaw if we're signing a striker from Hibs.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

This.
  • Options

Stokes played for Palace so everyone will welcome him.

He also scored a lot of goals for Celtic.

But has he scored against Barcalona?!