Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cryptos

Comments

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    bitcoin $40,000!
    Sick of sitting on the sidelines here... My smallest holding... Selling some zil and going in, this could fly from here from fomo
    Patience is key! The alts will come when people start coming out of BTC. Either that or get yourself on Binance and follow some of the best futures traders who share their buys / sells and copy what they are doing.
    basically all my twitter feed is following traders. Sometimes gives you a good heads up on whats breaking out, managed to make a few sheckles out of LTC before the dump yesterday by doing this.
  • Options
    Gone through 40k BTC this morning.  From stock to flow model could look like this rally continues to 100k this year and bounces around there for a few years before next halving.  Reckon that might be the point see an "alt-season" once 100k reached.

Only own BTC and Vechain and not in a huge rush to change that.  BTC always going to be the rock underlying this space, and Vechain quite interesting in real world usage - already seen it being used in verifying COVID vaccines!

Have to say this space still seems to have massively unsophisticated participants.  Can almost tell this from just a cursory twitter search!  I also wouldn't pay any attention to technical analysis - it's a load of shite in mainstream products, letter known this!

Personally working on not selling anything till BTC hits $500k and Vechain $1....but god knows what the world will look like at that stage.  Do feel this is now turning into a big inflation hedge though for the market.  Saw an interesting graph which showed BTC tracking FED and ECB balance sheet notionals, and with the latest round of massive money printing that's only going one way.
  • Options
    $41,500
  • Options
    Gone through 40k BTC this morning.  From stock to flow model could look like this rally continues to 100k this year and bounces around there for a few years before next halving.  Reckon that might be the point see an "alt-season" once 100k reached.

Only own BTC and Vechain and not in a huge rush to change that.  BTC always going to be the rock underlying this space, and Vechain quite interesting in real world usage - already seen it being used in verifying COVID vaccines!

Have to say this space still seems to have massively unsophisticated participants.  Can almost tell this from just a cursory twitter search!  I also wouldn't pay any attention to technical analysis - it's a load of shite in mainstream products, letter known this!

Personally working on not selling anything till BTC hits $500k and Vechain $1....but god knows what the world will look like at that stage.  Do feel this is now turning into a big inflation hedge though for the market.  Saw an interesting graph which showed BTC tracking FED and ECB balance sheet notionals, and with the latest round of massive money printing that's only going one way.
    Have you followed PlanB's Stock To Flow X and if so, how do you view the that price target of $288k as opposed to $100k?
  • Options
    Yeah it's the most interesting analysis in the space imo.

Certainly feel the 288k is achievable (maybe as a high in the near term?).  Reckon see 100k set a level, and it'll be properly volatile around that seeing big ranges.
  • Options
    I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if it overshot that figure to some extent.
    There is some other interesting discussions on this being a potential supercycle for BTC.

Still need to form my DCA exit strategy within the region of $100k-$500k. Not that I will get all of it.
  • Options
    Definitely think the COVID crisis and potential ensuing economic implications are a catalyst for price going really high.

Agreed on exit strategy. Feel like I want to leave some skin in the game long term though even if it's only 1 BTC!
  • Options
    Bitcoin smashes $40K mark, onwards to $50K not going to predict when that happens but it will be IMHO this year, any ARB holders, do or do you not press that sell button 🤔🤔😥😥
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    is anyone using stable coin pool staking on a CEX? Why use a savings account when you can get 20% APY on putting away your investment on an exchange?
  • Options

i strongly disagree, technical analysis, for the most part is the only thing that really works in crypto. You don't have quarterly reports etc to indicate what the price should be - the one thing in TA that isn't as key in crypto is RSI - it can tell you to sell when there's a big breakout happening. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Each to their own obviously but I'd be very strongly of the opposite opinion.  The ancient art of connecting dots on a graph an old colleague of mine used to call it!  The only validity I've ever thought it had is if enough people look at it then it sort of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy... i.e. everyone sees 40k as a sell level and falls over each other to sell it.

But then would only see it for some very short-term implications.  

Think there are enough long-term analysis pieces out there to guide on where this space might be going.  Personally life's too short to be trading in and out of this stuff... 2008 crash was volatile enough for me!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Each to their own obviously but I'd be very strongly of the opposite opinion.  The ancient art of connecting dots on a graph an old colleague of mine used to call it!  The only validity I've ever thought it had is if enough people look at it then it sort of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy... i.e. everyone sees 40k as a sell level and falls over each other to sell it.

But then would only see if for some very short-term implications.  

Think there are enough long-term analysis pieces out there to guide on where this space might going.  Personally life's too short to be trading in and out of this stuff... 2008 crash was volatile enough for me!
    Well, exactly why technical analysis is important, fib levels and other key levels are massively important. Once you learn those... you're halfway to being able to trade profitably, especially on High Time Frame charts.

Alternatively have you looked up on chain analysis? 

cryptoquant.com it monitors inflow and outflow of exchanges and whale wallets (alerts when an old whale sends a bunch of bitcoin to a centralised exchange), it predicted the end of the bear market in march (when tether holdings on exchanges was more than btc holdings which indicates buy pressure). Really interesting interview with the founder here: 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1R1PwmgiE4bCDCDR69ow52?si=aUtIr8euQMqJFEFQKkpPjQ
  • Options
    Yeah I get that aspect of it, and if that short-term play is your game then fair enough.  Really not for me in this space have to admit, would seem a huge scope to be carried out quickly!

Yeah seen a lot of that flow analysis and it's really interesting.  Think that combined with the underlying economic issues looming mean that six figure BTC may well be the norm before too long
  • Options

This was the balance sheet comparison I alluded to earlier.  Especially with the likely cost of paying for lockdowns and the like this is really interesting imo
  • Options

This was the balance sheet comparison I alluded to earlier.  Especially with the likely cost of paying for lockdowns and the like this is really interesting imo
    there will likely be another pump as and when another covid relief payout is approved in the US. People who are doing ok and dont need the money will look at whats the best performing assets to get a quick buck from their free government money and bitcoin will be top of the list.
  • Options
    Feel like this is going to turn into a major inflation play, if it hasn't already!
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    So I started investing in Crypto in Oct, currently have doubled my investment. Looking for that illusive small investment for big gains.
    Posted a couple of weeks back but I’d look into defi holdings, I’ve got a bag of RFI, no staking required but you get a % of all transactions direct to your wallet. Bought some about a week/2 weeks ago but already got about 1% of my bag in rewards. The more volatile the market, the more you make in rewards from transactions.

im also mega excited about IYF - which will provide an arb pool, the arb bot hasn’t made a single non profitable transaction so far. As long as staking exists IYF’s arb pool will be profitable and have a utility. Drawback is that to access the arb pool you need 25 IYF, at the moment IYF recently hit $200 per token... so a bit out of reach for me, but the market cap is low, to the point where we could be looking at an IYF token being $10,000 if it gets to mid-large cap. You’ll also get an airdrop of BeastDAO which is from the same developers and has a partnership with RFI. Not sure if the snapshot has been taken for that though. 

Also think the next big thing after DEFI is going to be tokenised stocks - picked up some wCres a month or two ago, 1 wCres will = 1 crescofin share if you want to start receiving dividends. They’re a Swiss bank that will offer interest rates of 3% (important to mention some Swiss banks currently have negative interest rates). They’re also insured by Lloyds of London. 

Ok enough of the shilling...

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look. I've not done many transactions, most are Coinbase where I have BTC, ETH, LINK and SNX. 

I used UniSwap for the first time in October and bought some SWAP and PRQ in the hope they do something.

Like you I follow a few people on Twitter, watch the on YT video of a couple of people who were recommended to me. Lots of info out there. Not the first person to mention IYF. 

XLM has seen some nice growth over the last week, it's dipping again now but people seem to think it might see some growth again. 

Look at me, pretending I'm an expert! 

Where do you buy your coins? 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    bitcoin $40,000!
    Sick of sitting on the sidelines here... My smallest holding... Selling some zil and going in, this could fly from here from fomo
    Patience is key! The alts will come when people start coming out of BTC. Either that or get yourself on Binance and follow some of the best futures traders who share their buys / sells and copy what they are doing.
    I agree, but the key difference here is that institutions are buying bitcoin as a store of value... They're not going to be punting coins
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    Glovepup said:
    So I started investing in Crypto in Oct, currently have doubled my investment. Looking for that illusive small investment for big gains.
    Posted a couple of weeks back but I’d look into defi holdings, I’ve got a bag of RFI, no staking required but you get a % of all transactions direct to your wallet. Bought some about a week/2 weeks ago but already got about 1% of my bag in rewards. The more volatile the market, the more you make in rewards from transactions.

im also mega excited about IYF - which will provide an arb pool, the arb bot hasn’t made a single non profitable transaction so far. As long as staking exists IYF’s arb pool will be profitable and have a utility. Drawback is that to access the arb pool you need 25 IYF, at the moment IYF recently hit $200 per token... so a bit out of reach for me, but the market cap is low, to the point where we could be looking at an IYF token being $10,000 if it gets to mid-large cap. You’ll also get an airdrop of BeastDAO which is from the same developers and has a partnership with RFI. Not sure if the snapshot has been taken for that though. 

Also think the next big thing after DEFI is going to be tokenised stocks - picked up some wCres a month or two ago, 1 wCres will = 1 crescofin share if you want to start receiving dividends. They’re a Swiss bank that will offer interest rates of 3% (important to mention some Swiss banks currently have negative interest rates). They’re also insured by Lloyds of London. 

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look. I've not done many transactions, most are Coinbase where I have BTC, ETH, LINK and SNX. 

I used UniSwap for the first time in October and bought some SWAP and PRQ in the hope they do something.

Like you I follow a few people on Twitter, watch the on YT video of a couple of people who were recommended to me. Lots of info out there. Not the first person to mention IYF. 

XLM has seen some nice growth over the last week, it's dipping again now but people seem to think it might see some growth again. 

the coins I mentioned aren’t listed on exchanges, I got them on uniswap and hold them in metamask wallet 
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    Glovepup said:

the coins I mentioned aren’t listed on exchanges, I got them on uniswap and hold them in metamask wallet 

I thought that was the case, thanks for confirming. I thought I was being slow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Expert from Morgan Creek of the US I heard on CNBC's Fast Money show last night gave a convincing argument as to why Bitcoin should have a market cap at least x2 that of gold within the next 10 years. At today's gold price, that would turn $40k into at least $1m.
    I've made a small investment of an expendable amount (with the same amount reserved for a 2nd bite in the event of a crash) and regard it like a bet on a long-shot I fancy in the GN. Just buckle up and hopefully enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Expert from Morgan Creek of the US I heard on CNBC's Fast Money show last night gave a convincing argument as to why Bitcoin should have a market cap at least x2 that of gold within the next 10 years. At today's gold price, that would turn $40k into at least $1m.
    I've made a small investment of an expendable amount (with the same amount reserved for a 2nd bite in the event of a crash) and regard it like a bet on a long-shot I fancy in the GN. Just buckle up and hopefully enjoy the ride.
    it's crazy how its no longer a "bubble" or a ponzi scheme or tullip bulbs. Bitcoin has shown with this bullrun its the real deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    it's crazy how its no longer a "bubble" or a ponzi scheme or tullip bulbs. Bitcoin has shown with this bullrun its the real deal.
    Can't put the genie back in the bottle.  
    Your graph above @kentaddick is just the start (or re-start after 2008/9) of the process. Currency debasement ain't stopping anytime soon but this time, clearly, a big chunk of the world wants an alternative to gold as a store of value.
    For me, the only question is will it be Bitcoin or ANOther digital currency that the world (including most major corporations and even central banks, who will no doubt launch their own version(s)) primarily adopts and can you stand the volatility that is guaranteed on the journey? 
    Happy to be holding a ticket but it is a (considered) punt and not an "investment" (in the conventional sense) for me, at least at the moment!
    Now, should HardToFind Whisky and Bet365 start accepting it, that would change everything  :)
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I know it's none of my business, but I'm curious as to how much people on here have invested.
    I think I questioned this before and to me it was less than I've bet on Charlton this season.
    So whilst some people seem heavily invested, in reality is it a lot of talk over very little?

Good luck to everyone if they are making substantial sums, as long as they know what they are doing and know they can "get out" immediately if there is a crash.

Personally, I don't invest in anything I don't understand and definitely not anything where if I try to get my money back I can't.

But as I say best of luck to all, but as a retired financial adviser it's not something I will be investing in.
  • Options
    Superb, are you going to at least cash in an amount without paying CGT?
  • Options
    Superb, are you going to at least cash in an amount without paying CGT?
    Have taken some out very recently, will have a small amount to pay.

Now I'm just playing the long game. Portfolio is how I want it, just sitting and waiting.

I've got my initial investment back and some which is great, was only ever in it for fun initially. Changed a bit now though and I shit myself if coins drop 10% 😂
  • Options
    Well done you. It does concern me where others say they are trying to withdraw and can't in a volatile market.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    I know it's none of my business, but I'm curious as to how much people on here have invested.
    I think I questioned this before and to me it was less than I've bet on Charlton this season.
    So whilst some people seem heavily invested, in reality is it a lot of talk over very little?

Good luck to everyone if they are making substantial sums, as long as they know what they are doing and know they can "get out" immediately if there is a crash.

Personally, I don't invest in anything I don't understand and definitely not anything where if I try to get my money back I can't.

But as I say best of luck to all, but as a retired financial adviser it's not something I will be investing in.
    Over the last four years I've invested about 5k I think.

Majority of my holdings are locked in staking but if I took it all out now I reckon I'd have about £85-90k pre CGT.
    How is CGT handled in the UK with regards to crypto? You have to do a tax return and it's taxed at usual CGT rates? 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    cafcpolo said:

Over the last four years I've invested about 5k I think.

Majority of my holdings are locked in staking but if I took it all out now I reckon I'd have about £85-90k pre CGT.
    How is CGT handled in the UK with regards to crypto? You have to do a tax return and it's taxed at usual CGT rates? 
    Exactly that.