Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney leaves Ebbsfleet....

Comments

• Options
    Peter Varney puts the record straight on departure rumours
    Ebbsfleet United’s outgoing vice chairman Peter Varney has refuted inaccurate assumptions surrounding the nature of his forthcoming departure from the club.

Writing in tomorrow’s issue of matchday programme FleetReview, Varney informs Fleet supporters of the following:

“Please ignore the nonsense you may have read on social media in the last week. Allow me to put the record straight on a few mischievous comments that have been made:

I have not been sacked. It is my sole decision to leave at this time which I believe is the right time for all concerned.
    I have fully recovered from my prostate cancer operation last September which kept me at home for three weeks and I have the all-clear thanks to the skill of the brilliant surgical team at Guys Hospital.
    I am not representing or involved with any buyer looking to acquire Charlton Athletic FC. A couple of years ago I was asked to broker a meeting with an overseas investor I had met on several occasions who was looking to invest up to £100m into the club but the owner declined to take up an offer to meet me and the investor either in Belgium or London, accusing me of being a billboard salesman and a middleman (for the record I never sought a penny from him for the introduction) – which was insulting from someone I had never met.
    I am not retiring due to old age! I would like to carrying on working as long as I can.”
    Varney goes on to assure Fleet fans that he will continue to take a keen interest in the club and watch from the Main Stand each week (“as a paying supporter, of course!”).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Full story also at www.votvonline.com - plus a bit more on Donald Muir
  • Options
    so... he's just had enough at Ebbsfleet?!
  • Options
    That all seems fair enough, except the timing is very strange. Why would he quit Ebbsfleet mid-season unless something else has come along (presumably not CAFC related) that would require him right now.
  • Options

That all seems fair enough, except the timing is very strange. Why would he quit Ebbsfleet mid-season unless something else has come along (presumably not CAFC related) that would require him right now.

Yes it's odd timing, especially with the club in the middle of extensive and expensive ground improvement work
  • Options
    Maybe he WAS part of a consortium but isn't any more

who knows

Just another paragraph in the latest instalment of The Charlton Saga
  • Options
    He was heading up the consortium / introducing.

His name put off RM / RD / KM etc

He is no longer heading up / fronting for them.

But if they win he will be appointed CEO

No inside knowledge just wishful thinking :wink:
  • Options

Peter Varney speaks out about rumours surrounding his departure

https://ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/peter-varney-puts-the-record-straight-on-departure-rumours/

Im glad that his health is OK, and similarly Im also glad that it doesn't seem he was given the boot at Ebbsfleet. (I remember being concerned for his position when the emails came out, as I felt they placed him in quite a delicate situation.)

It's interesting that he goes in to so much detail when refuting the Charlton connection though; I wouldn't read much in to that other than its clear that Roland and Katrien's treatment of him clearly got under his skin.

Suffice to say, if he's still (understandably) a bit wounded over the incident, and Roland still seems to believe his own version of events, I think it's quite clear that any negotiations between the two of them would be impossible anyway.

Which is a shame, as I think Varney's involvement in the future of the club would not only be a breath of fresh air, but would also provide everyone involved with the best chance of success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

well very glad that he isn't ill as that was the main rumour.

not sure why though if he was going to publicly offer this why it wasn't done so in the first place. Would have headed off a lot of talk and then he would not have had to address the nonsense speculation that was always going to occur.

Agreed - in fact shame they weren't interested before RD bought the club
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Ebbsfleet United’s outgoing vice chairman Peter Varney has refuted inaccurate assumptions surrounding the nature of his forthcoming departure from the club.

Writing in tomorrow’s issue of matchday programme FleetReview, Varney informs Fleet supporters of the following:

“Please ignore the nonsense you may have read on social media in the last week. Allow me to put the record straight on a few mischievous comments that have been made:

I have not been sacked. It is my sole decision to leave at this time which I believe is the right time for all concerned.
    I have fully recovered from my prostate cancer operation last September which kept me at home for three weeks and I have the all-clear thanks to the skill of the brilliant surgical team at Guys Hospital.
    I am not representing or involved with any buyer looking to acquire Charlton Athletic FC. A couple of years ago I was asked to broker a meeting with an overseas investor I had met on several occasions who was looking to invest up to £100m into the club but the owner declined to take up an offer to meet me and the investor either in Belgium or London, accusing me of being a billboard salesman and a middleman (for the record I never sought a penny from him for the introduction) – which was insulting from someone I had never met.
    I am not retiring due to old age! I would like to carrying on working as long as I can.”
    Varney goes on to assure Fleet fans that he will continue to take a keen interest in the club and watch from the Main Stand each week (“as a paying supporter, of course!”).

Oh dear Roland, you daft twat. £100m potentially on the table a few years ago and now you're left holding onto the hope someone might pay about £20m
    I was thinking £100m, that only leaves £20m on players. :smiley:
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

not sure why though if he was going to publicly offer this why it wasn't done so in the first place. Would have headed off a lot of talk and then he would not have had to address the nonsense speculation that was always going to occur.

How do we know they weren't? From the snippets and rumours I've heard on here, it seems there was more than one potential buyer at the time. RD was probably chosen because he was a cash buyer and was willing to skip DD (or at least do a half arsed job) to get the deal done quickly. I imagine it was speed more than anything else the spivs cared about at the moment in time.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

How do we know they weren't? From the snippets and rumours I've heard on here, it seems there was more than one potential buyer at the time. RD was probably chosen because he was a cash buyer and was willing to skip DD (or at least do a half arsed job) to get the deal done quickly. I imagine it was speed more than anything else the spivs cared about at the moment in time.
    I remember reading at the time certain posters knew of one or two potential buyers were interested in the club but didn’t want to deal with jiminez.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Oh dear Roland, you daft twat. £100m potentially on the table a few years ago and now you're left holding onto the hope someone might pay about £20m
    I doubt the consortium was planning to pay Roland £100m...
  • Options
    At the match...great reception for him...btw game is crap
  • Options
    Muir know him well?

If he was a season ticket holder an all that. Doubt he sat in the covered end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Muir know him well?

If you are talking about PV, he did sit in the covered end when we returned to The Valley. I used to block his view.
  • Options
    I used to block yours :-)
  • Options

Muir know him well?

If you are talking about PV, he did sit in the covered end when we returned to The Valley. I used to block his view.
    Used to sit in the West a fair bit. Always remember Curbs coming up for a chat
  • Options
    It's HONOUR, you bloody colonial.
  • Options
    A hundred million pounds?

Did you see that, Roland? A hundred million pounds.

Still, you know best.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

A hundred million pounds?

Did you see that, Roland? A hundred million pounds.

Still, you know best.

One expensive billboard
  • Options

Addickted said:

It's HONOUR, you bloody colonial.

We Yanks struggle with all your extra u's in words. Even the meme generator kept changing it back when I fixed it. Next time I will labor to humor you will more correct spelling.
    Please learn the below for future reference,