Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney leaves Ebbsfleet....

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Everyone seems to hate Richard Murray but Varney a hero? My enduring memory of PV at CAFC is him doing an interview in the West Stand and proudly announcing he'd just given Les Reed a 3 or was it a five year contract!

Exactly
    Wait are you saying Les Reed is not our greatest manager since Mr Jimmy Seed.

Trust me in years to come the East Stand will be known as the Sir Les Reed stand.

I only hope(and pray) when this takeover is completed, the first thing the new owners do is sack Robbo and hire Les Reed
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Everyone seems to hate Richard Murray but Varney a hero? My enduring memory of PV at CAFC is him doing an interview in the West Stand and proudly announcing he'd just given Les Reed a 3 or was it a five year contract!

Did he make that decision all on his own?
  • Options

Les Reed is extremely knowledgeable, has done a great job at Saints and is a really, really nice guy. He was offered the job and who can blame him for not having a go? However, he's not cut out to be a manager, even he'd admit that. Ultimately another bad decision by RM.

And then completed the hat trick by employing Pardew.
  • Options
    was Les Reed actually given the job full time, I thought it was just temporary
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Southampton are struggling and after years of playing way above their weight, fans want Les Reed gone. Despite his managerial results here, what he has done at Saints is beyond doubt. What if we make Les Reed CAFC's "Sporting Director" under new ownership? Varney on the board and Les Reed heading up personnel decisions sounds a lot better than what we have now. Yes? No?
  • Options

Riviera said:

It was defiantly announced on Sky by PV that he was a permanent replacement for Dowie and at least a 3 year contract. I never said it was PV' s decision but it is my only memory of him ever doing or saying anything on TV whilst at CAFC.
    Not quite, he infamously told Sky he had not seen Simon Jordan's comments on Ian Dowie because, "I don't watch children's television."
    He said something about me once on TV, but I don’t want to go into it.
  • Options

Yes, and that was a big problem because it meant we lost him as a coach when his managerial period was over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    tonka said:

Curbs never had that amount of money , why did dowie get so much? Didn’t Murray sign Hasslebaink complete waste of money spent on wages for that lazy fella

I do remember that cringey press conference when he announced, whilst rubbing butt cheeks with jfh that this was the "third or fourth time I've tried to sign him but the first time I've been able to afford him", which we all knew to mean 'he's a bit shit now' and to be fair, he wasn't wrong...
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    tonka said:

Curbs never had that amount of money , why did dowie get so much? Didn’t Murray sign Hasslebaink complete waste of money spent on wages for that lazy fella

scored at Milwall, Charlton legend

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Dowie was given two years of transfer budget all at once.

It's depressing to reflect upon.

Awful awful decision making throughout the club all very suddenly post the curbs era.

We really embarrassed ourselves and let the club down.

All after doing so much to get the club established in the premier league to begin with.

Really hate Murrary for that.

If the money just went to curbs while he was still in charge, we may have had a squad at least ok enough before going in to the 06/07 season....to then build upon that.

So unnecessarily shot ourselves in the foot with a big shotgun.

The dowie appointment was unbelievable and completely moronic.

Murrary never really truly cared I don't think.
  • Options

The only other time we had a real windfall was 2004 - Chelsea's Parker money - and we didn't do so well then. Jeffers, Murphy and Rommedahl come to mind, and there must be others. The one we didn't get - Kezman - was a bad miss.

I know - shoulda, woulda, coulda. Perhaps we've never consistently had enough money to learn how to spend it always wisely. And not just Dowie and Pardew either - who could forget record signing Neil Redfearn?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

Angeldust who is known to be reliable has said that he was asked to step down as they found out about his involvement with us and the takeover, but wasn’t able to verify.

As has been said above I (kind of) hope it’s a case like his rather than health related, hope all is ok.

Not sure why but thought I'd check out t'other forum and was disgusted by the whole lot on there... It's changed a lot since I was a member, they're all very aggressive.
    Anyway Angeldust's post said yesterday at 9:25am:
    Angeldust said:

For what it is worth, I was told something similar but have been unable to verify.
    They also told me that his employer had been tipped off by either someone at Charlton or someone involved in one of the other bids for the club.
    I just assumed he left for personal reasons?
    But as you rightly said, the Ebsfleet statement does not seem fitting for the circumstance.

He also said this on Jan 3, 2018 at 10:23am. which I'll copy to the relevant thread...
    Angeldust said:

And so this rumbles on. The situation as I understand it. Negotiations continue but the pace seems to have stalled somewhat for the Australian contingent. They have been chipping away for some time but question marks still remain regarding their ability to fully fund the acquisition. The passing of time has also given them the opportunity to mull over the kind of situation they would inherit, and I guess if funds are tight this may have created an ebb in interest somewhat. I am also lead to believe that they are becoming increasingly frustrated with the owner’s ambition to start a bidding war. So unless something dramatic changes I think the chances of Australian ownership are less likely.
    There are apparently two other interested parties. The owner has had dealings with one of them before and they are trusted by him and his people. Whether that would be good for the club is largely unknown and I have no information if an offer has been made.
    The final interest is a bit of a mystery. Capital is no issue by all accounts. However, I am told they are not prepared to pay a penny more than the price they see fit. At the start of negotiations that chasm was vast. Recent reports in the media that the owner would be willing to decrease his demands may be a signal that this group are in the box seat?

• Options

The only other time we had a real windfall was 2004 - Chelsea's Parker money - and we didn't do so well then. Jeffers, Murphy and Rommedahl come to mind, and there must be others. The one we didn't get - Kezman - was a bad miss.

I know - shoulda, woulda, coulda. Perhaps we've never consistently had enough money to learn how to spend it always wisely. And not just Dowie and Pardew either - who could forget record signing Neil Redfearn?

At the time though everyone was pretty pleased with those three signings from the Parker money and Murphy was a good player for us.

I doubt anyone ever thought signing Djimi Traore was a good idea.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

tonka said:

Not for us he didn't.
  • Options
    Did Murphy and Parker not play together? My mind is shot....
  • Options

Croydon said:

tonka said:

Not for us he didn't.
    Pre season friendly 4-1 win he did.
    Had that in my head as 4 nil
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Did Murphy and Parker not play together? My mind is shot....

They did not.

Murphy was signed the summer after, with the Parker money.
  • Options
    It was Murphy and Smertin in midfield I believe
  • Options

Croydon said:

tonka said:

Not for us he didn't.
    Pre season friendly 4-1 win he did.
    Had that in my head as 4 nil
    Me too!