Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney leaves Ebbsfleet....

Comments

• Options

Angeldust who is known to be reliable has said that he was asked to step down as they found out about his involvement with us and the takeover, but wasn’t able to verify.

As has been said above I (kind of) hope it’s a case like his rather than health related, hope all is ok.

That does make some sense if one of the rumoured bidders is backed by Kuwaiti money as Ebbsfleet is backed by Kuwaiti owners and there could well be a perceived conflict of interest.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Angeldust who is known to be reliable has said that he was asked to step down as they found out about his involvement with us and the takeover, but wasn’t able to verify.

As has been said above I (kind of) hope it’s a case like his rather than health related, hope all is ok.

That does make some sense if one of the rumoured bidders is backed by Kuwaiti money as Ebbsfleet is backed by Kuwaiti owners and there could well be a perceived conflict of interest.
    Or from a rival Middle Eastern state...
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Interesting take on how the Ebbsfleet owner found out.
  • Options
    You might want to see what's on our forum at Ebbsfleet:

http://eufcfansforum.freeforums.net/thread/3256/peter-varney?page=1&scrollTo=81157
  • Options
    Closed forum @fleet9GN and I’m not registering just for that

What does it say if you don’t mind sharing?
  • Options
    No-one at Ebbsfleet knows any more than we do.
  • Options

Ah, sorry, forgot it was closed if you weren't registered. It's from our media guy and the exact quote is:

"He didn't divulge any reasons when timing the press release to go out but he did say if it helped to fend off any rumours that we were fine to confirm he wasn't going back to Charlton."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fleet9GN said:

Ah, sorry, forgot it was closed if you weren't registered. It's from our media guy and the exact quote is:

"He didn't divulge any reasons when timing the press release to go out but he did say if it helped to fend off any rumours that we were fine to confirm he wasn't going back to Charlton."
    What is the general assumption Fleet.

Did he leave on good terms?
  • Options

I’d love for Varney to be involved, to watch those on the other forum have a stroke if nothing else.

Especially if Powell was appointed manager.
  • Options
    I think we all know AB is better than that and would only do so with PV's permission.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’m sure Airman Brown could give Reg a call to find out what’s occurring and then splatter it over a website message board.

Works both ways I'm afraid.

Airman went to great lengths to inform us of Peter's unsuccessful attempts to get a change of ownership at the valley.

You cannot expect people to not make assumptions when news like this comes to the surface.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Solidgone said:

I’m sure Airman Brown could give Reg a call to find out what’s occurring and then splatter it over a website message board.

Airman went to great lengths to inform us of Peter's unsuccessful attempts to get a change of ownership at the valley.

You cannot expect people to not make assumptions when news like this comes to the surface.
    Yes he did that with Peters agreement. This may be personal and completely irrelevant to Charlton so even if PV told AB as a friend he might not want it out anyway.

If it is Charlton related it could be incredibly sensitive and so PV may bot be in a position to tell anyone let alone agree to it being shared on a Charlton forum.

Anyway I'm sure AB can speak for himself.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I heard something ages ago that PV definitely wanted to differentiate between his Ebbsfleet job and Charlton loyalties. He wanted it clear and known that Charlton was his past and he was now committed to Ebbsfleet for the future.

IF, and it's a big if, the opportunity to rebuild his beloved Charlton was too tempting and he has effectively done himself out of a job I think he would end up with an ever greater level of hero worship on here.

Rightly so

That's all very well, but as @carly burn says above, VOTV went to great lengths to reveal a potential bid which PV was involve in, and the existence of it, and RD's apparent refusal to engage with it, was a key reason why the protests were quite virulent at the time.

• Options

Swisdom said:

I heard something ages ago that PV definitely wanted to differentiate between his Ebbsfleet job and Charlton loyalties. He wanted it clear and known that Charlton was his past and he was now committed to Ebbsfleet for the future.

IF, and it's a big if, the opportunity to rebuild his beloved Charlton was too tempting and he has effectively done himself out of a job I think he would end up with an ever greater level of hero worship on here.

Rightly so

That's all very well, but as @carly burn says above, VOTV went to great lengths to reveal a potential bid which PV was involve in, and the existence of it, and RD's apparent refusal to engage with it, was a key reason why the protests were quite virulent at the time.

There was speculation about whether Murray was behind his refusal to engage, or did Meire even allow the e-mails to reach him.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Rightly so

There was speculation about whether Murray was behind his refusal to engage, or did Meire even allow the e-mails to reach him.
    A bit of both I believe.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

That was obviously material to Charlton's future and of interest to many supporters, including the way it was handled by Duchatelet and Meire. I didn't "go to great lengths", I was provided with the emails by Peter who wanted it in the public domain, not least because of his frustration at the way RD, KM and RM had behaved.

In this case, PV has quite obviously set out not to offer any further explanation, not just publicly but privately as well. However, some of us were already aware of an issue in the background, which is private, personal and not suitable for discussion here. Caution is all I have advised - and I have only done that because I can see that without that warning the speculation may run wild.
    Thanks for clarifying @Airman Brown

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I just choose to believe that the timing of his departure, along with the likely impending takeover, are just too great to be coincidence. His former employer saying it is not Charlton related means nothing to me. Zero. About as much as when a club says their "manager has full confidence of the board." If anything, it often means the opposite. I would not be surprised if the club's statement was a diversion just so RD does not pull out of a potential deal just to avoid him. The fact PV himself has not squashed rumours only makes me think more that he is potentially involved. Until I hear from him otherwise, I think it's just too coincidental to not mean something. Or.... maybe I just wanna be hopeful about something.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Everyone seems to hate Richard Murray but Varney a hero? My enduring memory of PV at CAFC is him doing an interview in the West Stand and proudly announcing he'd just given Les Reed a 3 or was it a five year contract!