Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham festival 2018

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

have bought tickets for weds and thurs next year as i had quite a few rewards for racing points to use up, also tickets are at a cheaper rate, would recommend staying in Birmingham for visiting cheltenham, hotels are cheap a reasonable amount of nightlife after heading into cheltenham from the festival and getting in 1 pub just wasn't enjoyable so headed for Birmingham, and had a night out there, the wednesday was fine but the thursday i have never seen so many wankers in one place ( guinness village ) at the bar at 1.15ish in the afternoon and some lad was calling the asian bloke serving sachin tendulkar, tbf the 1st time he said it the guy serving found it funny after the 10th time not so funny they were then outside later in the day singing every barmy army song, so many people there with no interest in racing, kindly stick to the epsom derby or royal ascot, the only other critique is the drinks rules, last year 4 maximum worked great cue this year me getting stuck behind some scouser who proceeded to order 16 pints of guinness, 2 bottles of champagne and 6 lagers - of course all poured 1 at a time!!!.

also on ante post markets i have touched nothing for next year but did have a browse, altior at 6/4 for the queen mother already!!!!!

saw that rich ricci has a new recruit that is strangely being trained by nicky henderson the horse is called "palixandre" and should be running in a bumper soon

Laurina already being backed for the Champion Hurdle 20s into 12s.
    That's interesting and she was hugely impressive but it's a massive jump from the Mares' Novice Hurdle to the Champion Hurdle.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

bobmunro said:

have bought tickets for weds and thurs next year as i had quite a few rewards for racing points to use up, also tickets are at a cheaper rate, would recommend staying in Birmingham for visiting cheltenham, hotels are cheap a reasonable amount of nightlife after heading into cheltenham from the festival and getting in 1 pub just wasn't enjoyable so headed for Birmingham, and had a night out there, the wednesday was fine but the thursday i have never seen so many wankers in one place ( guinness village ) at the bar at 1.15ish in the afternoon and some lad was calling the asian bloke serving sachin tendulkar, tbf the 1st time he said it the guy serving found it funny after the 10th time not so funny they were then outside later in the day singing every barmy army song, so many people there with no interest in racing, kindly stick to the epsom derby or royal ascot, the only other critique is the drinks rules, last year 4 maximum worked great cue this year me getting stuck behind some scouser who proceeded to order 16 pints of guinness, 2 bottles of champagne and 6 lagers - of course all poured 1 at a time!!!.

also on ante post markets i have touched nothing for next year but did have a browse, altior at 6/4 for the queen mother already!!!!!

saw that rich ricci has a new recruit that is strangely being trained by nicky henderson the horse is called "palixandre" and should be running in a bumper soon

That's interesting and she was hugely impressive but it's a massive jump from the Mares' Novice Hurdle to the Champion Hurdle.
    Melon almost did it, and he got beaten in the Mares Novice - how he got beaten I don't know - and yes, it still hurts!!

Edit: ignore that, Melon was second in the Supreme - I was getting him confused with Limini. Laurina is potentially better than Melon so it's a tough call but not impossible. She is an amazing mare.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Melon almost did it, and he got beaten in the Mares Novice - how he got beaten I don't know - and yes, it still hurts!!

Edit: ignore that, Melon was second in the Supreme - I was getting him confused with Limini. Laurina is potentially better than Melon so it's a tough call but not impossible. She is an amazing mare.
    She has certainly looked amazing so far. The problem with her being in the Mullins' yard is that he very rarely targets the Champion Hurdle with his mares. Quevega was good enough to have run in the race but never did and Annie Power only ended up running due to injuries to other horses.
    Anyone backing Laurina for the Champion Hurdle takes the chance that, even if fit and healthy and possibly the best horse, she still ends up running in Mares' race.
  • Options
    She was good Laurina and on my figures she wouldve gone close in Supreme.
    It is fantastically difficult for mares to win Championship races though. Remember Annie Power got beat in a Stayers and she only won the Champion due to the weight allowance...and it wasn't a great race.
    This crop of novices is as good a crop in a while so she could be set for a vintage race.
    Ultimately, there's no way anyone in their right mind could bet her at this stage. With the program for mares I'd say she's more likely not to run in a Champion.
  • Options

She was good Laurina and on my figures she wouldve gone close in Supreme.
    It is fantastically difficult for mares to win Championship races though. Remember Annie Power got beat in a Stayers and she only won the Champion due to the weight allowance...and it wasn't a great race.
    This crop of novices is as good a crop in a while so she could be set for a vintage race.
    Ultimately, there's no way anyone in their right mind could bet her at this stage. With the program for mares I'd say she's more likely not to run in a Champion.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that - and I certainly wouldn't back her in the Champion unless and until she's a confirmed runner. Even then probably not. But she is an outstanding mare.
  • Options
    Depends on how you define outstanding!!
    Rated her 155 and that factored in easing her down.
    Summerville Boy I had 162. So getting 7lbs she'd gone close in Supreme.
    Be interesting to see what they do with her. But wouldn't get carried away just based on visual impression of Thursdays run. And shes certain to be overbet wherever she rocks up.
    Samcro a different matter altogether!!! Think he's this decades Kauto and can win whatever he likes from 2m to 3m+. It's not their way of doing things but 33s for him in Gold Cup did stop and make me think yesterday.
  • Options

Depends on how you define outstanding!!
    Rated her 155 and that factored in easing her down.
    Summerville Boy I had 162. So getting 7lbs she'd gone close in Supreme.
    Be interesting to see what they do with her. But wouldn't get carried away just based on visual impression of Thursdays run. And shes certain to be overbet wherever she rocks up.
    Samcro a different matter altogether!!! Think he's this decades Kauto and can win whatever he likes from 2m to 3m+. It's not their way of doing things but 33s for him in Gold Cup did stop and make me think yesterday.

I would say GC 2020 for Samcro - but I agree he has the potential for legendary status. He will definitely go chasing and the JLT perhaps next year.
  • Options
    In the last two Cheltenham Festivals you would have made 54 points profit backing all Irish trained handicap hurdlers.

In those two years Gordon Elliott has saddled 12 horses in handicaps - and won 5 races.

About time that Michael O'Leary sent an official complaint regarding how badly handicapped Irish horses are when coming over here.
  • Options
    Oh and it's O'Leary's 57th birthday today - Happy Birthday and mind you don't choke on that cake!
  • Options
    I'm getting the impression you're not a fan of the arsehole O'Leary?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    last week he had the winner of the race and he described it " its a rat of a thing " some people dream of having a runner let alone a winner at cheltenham, and his dominance is starting to turn good nh into the flat like godolphin type owners who just dominate every meeting, racing in ireland its not unusual to see a race with at least 1/3 rd of the field in gigginstown colours.
  • Options
    Let’s hope he does choke on that cake!
  • Options

last week he had the winner of the race and he described it " its a rat of a thing " some people dream of having a runner let alone a winner at cheltenham, and his dominance is starting to turn good nh into the flat like godolphin type owners who just dominate every meeting, racing in ireland its not unusual to see a race with at least 1/3 rd of the field in gigginstown colours.

saw a 12 horse race the other week with 7 of them. They came 2nd through to 6th too but were beaten by Willie.