Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eating raw chicken

Anyone know how likely you are to get food poisoning if you eat raw chicken? Not sure how much or if just mixed in with the rest of the meal that was cooked ok

Comments

• Anyone know how likely you are to get food poisoning if you eat raw chicken? Not sure how much or if just mixed in with the rest of the meal that was cooked ok

If it was completely fresh and a small amount then not likely
  • Anyone know how likely you are to get food poisoning if you eat raw chicken? Not sure how much or if just mixed in with the rest of the meal that was cooked ok

You’ll probably get stomach cramps if not a lot or you’ll be pretty sick if you ate quite a bit.

It’s actually a delicacy in Japan at the moment, chicken shashimi, but you have to sign a disclaimer before you eat it. Grim.
  • Don't panic! Chances are you're fit and healthy so your body and immune system will cope with it.

If you start to feel sick and get stomach cramps then call your GP (if it's really bad get to A&E).
  • @PrincessFiona Spree at the KFC supply warehouse? Yeah there's no way back for you now
  • Is this EU raised and butchered chicken or from the US?

Seriously, nothing you can do about it now except watch out for the signs of salmonella which is likely to be your biggest risk.

https://mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salmonella/symptoms-causes/syc-20355329
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm away for work, got to give a briefing in the morning. Fingers crossed
  • If you didn’t wash the chicken before cooking it then call an ambulance right now
  • edited February 2018

Anyone know how likely you are to get food poisoning if you eat raw chicken? Not sure how much or if just mixed in with the rest of the meal that was cooked ok

Ignore this advice btw, once you get down to bacterial level the amount eaten doesn't really come into it. You only need a forkful to do the damage.

But be aware of psychosomatic symptoms too. If you've eaten something unpleasant your brain is going to be messing with you and can cause a physical reaction that wouldn't occur if you didn't know you'd eaten it. Try not to dwell on it. Honestly, this is a major factor behind complaints about food premises.
  • Yes, I feel queasy BA but think it is psychosomatic. I'm staying at a hotel
  • edited February 2018

Small amounts perhaps but an infected bird is infected regardless of when it is consumed.

• Yes, I feel queasy BA but think it is psychosomatic. I'm staying at a hotel

Go and have a beer or something and try not to think about it. If it's going to happen, and it probably won't, it'll happen whether you spend the night waiting for it or not.
  • But don't brood over it
  • chicken is fowl until cooked.
  • See, that’s why I don’t eat chicken, raw or cooked. It’s fowl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was this served at the hotel??? If you are I'll,rip em to shreds.
  • Was it dead?

It is now

Small amounts perhaps but an infected bird is infected regardless of when it is consumed.

When did it become infected? From the original post I took it that she MIGHT have eaten some undercooked chicken.
  • Strangely I haven't laid into them about it, More concerned I have food poisoning. But like others have suggested, trying not to worry about it as it won't change the outcome. I remember all too well getting food poisoning from a dodgy burger at Old Trafford during the fa cup game in 1994! Terrible night and the train trip home the next day was not very pleasant

When did it become infected? From the original post I took it that she MIGHT have eaten some undercooked chicken.
    Can't t be sure I consumed any as was in a mixed dish with pulled pork with a strong sauce
  • Had it in Japan, tasted pretty terrible but wasn't ill afterwards.

One of the tastier local delicacies in the south of the country actually!
  • I'd make myself puke it up but dunno if it would even do anything to be fair if its infected
  • Dodgy dinner!

I would be force feeding it to the cook (not sure if you can call him that).