Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eating raw chicken

Comments

• Options
    How on earth are there so many foxes? You always hear of them destroying Hen coops, they must be eating raw chicken all the time, poor buggers!
  • Options
    10x more exciting than the takeover thread. It has it all; suspense, adversity, poo - can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • Options
    Are you dead yet?
  • Options
    EastStand said:

10x more exciting than the takeover thread. It has it all; suspense, adversity, poo - can't wait to see how it turns out.

You want to see a poo turned out?

This forum really is going to the dogs bogs
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

EastStand said:

You want to see a poo turned out?

This forum really is going to the dogs bogs
    Haha more how Princess Fiona's trip turns out, thanks :worried:
  • Options
    No update for a while.

Did the briefing get interrupted by simultaneous dual eruptions?

Is Princess Fiona stuck in the train khazi with no signal or, worse, no loo paper?

The suspense is unbearable.
  • Options

That is genuinely outrageous. Probably the worst thing a chef could ever do.

Take them to the cleaners!

Take your knickers with you as well...
  • Options

See, that’s why I don’t eat chicken, raw or cooked. It’s fowl.

Totally agree.

Spend some time watching hens that have been rescued from their cages, pale faces and few feathers. They're still curious, beautiful creatures. After a few months their feathers grow back. Each hen is an individual and has their own personality. They can be friendly, trusting of humans and learn to be called by name. Please don't eat them.
    I can't see what wrong with doing the above, and then eating them
    If you have got to eat chicken then they should at least be allowed to live a good life before they're slaughtered. But they're not. Even chickens that are so-called 'free-range' live in cramped conditons and few get outside. All you need to call them free-range is to have a hatch where they can get outside, it's just that with 5000 in one shed it's pretty difficult for the ones further to the back to ever get there. I've rescued so-called free-range chickens and we had to wear masks to stop the ammonia stench from affecting our lungs. And for chickens their respiratory system is affected at levels before humans can smell it. God this makes me angry and sad in equal measures.
  • Options

Totally agree.

Spend some time watching hens that have been rescued from their cages, pale faces and few feathers. They're still curious, beautiful creatures. After a few months their feathers grow back. Each hen is an individual and has their own personality. They can be friendly, trusting of humans and learn to be called by name. Please don't eat them.
    Surely it'd be slightly more humane to at least kill the chicken first before eating it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Totally agree.

If you have got to eat chicken then they should at least be allowed to live a good life before they're slaughtered. But they're not. Even chickens that are so-called 'free-range' live in cramped conditons and few get outside. All you need to call them free-range is to have a hatch where they can get outside, it's just that with 5000 in one shed it's pretty difficult for the ones further to the back to ever get there. I've rescued so-called free-range chickens and we had to wear masks to stop the ammonia stench from affecting our lungs. And for chickens their respiratory system is affected at levels before humans can smell it. God this makes me angry and sad in equal measures.
    Agree with you on this. I eat chicken, but try my best to buy those that have had a bit of an innings.
    However, there are times that KFC just has to be eaten.
  • Options

Totally agree.

Agree with you on this. I eat chicken, but try my best to buy those that have had a bit of an innings.
    However, there are times that KFC just has to be eaten.
    Difficult to get organic chickens to eat (not a veggie), if you can though I assume they have had a bit more idyllic (if short) lifestyle.
  • Options

Totally agree.

I fear we may be going over well trod ground here
  • Options
    I imagine most meat-eaters would rather the animals they ate had good lives and were raised in clean ethical facilities.

But people also want cheap food and can't be bothered to research where their food comes from.

And we have a terrible labelling system that is both onerous and lacking at the same time.

There's a reason why in any supermarket fresh chicken aisle 90% of it will be whole chickens for £4 each and a red tractor slapped on it and hardly any of it dedicated to the £10 birds that, at least according to the label, might have gone outside at some point in their lives.
  • Options
    A good bout of food poisining every now and then is useful as a quick approach to weight loss.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I imagine most meat-eaters would rather the animals they ate had good lives and were raised in clean ethical facilities.

But people also want cheap food and can't be bothered to research where their food comes from.

And we have a terrible labelling system that is both onerous and lacking at the same time.

There's a reason why in any supermarket fresh chicken aisle 90% of it will be whole chickens for £4 each and a red tractor slapped on it and hardly any of it dedicated to the £10 birds that, at least according to the label, might have gone outside at some point in their lives.

Excellent butchers near me that sells outside reared chickens from its own farm in Sussex. They cost depending on size about £11 - £14. I would dearly love to be able to buy these regularly but when compared to a similar size bird in a supermarket for £5.00 it makes me think I can’t justify it. Some people of course just wouldn’t be able to afford it.

I do find it a dilemma.

• Options

Anyone know how likely you are to get food poisoning if you eat raw chicken? Not sure how much or if just mixed in with the rest of the meal that was cooked ok

If it was completely fresh and a small amount then not likely
    Ignore this advice btw, once you get down to bacterial level the amount eaten doesn't really come into it. You only need a forkful to do the damage.

But be aware of psychosomatic symptoms too. If you've eaten something unpleasant your brain is going to be messing with you and can cause a physical reaction that wouldn't occur if you didn't know you'd eaten it. Try not to dwell on it. Honestly, this is a major factor behind complaints about food premises.
    Hmm, there's been some weird posts on CL lately. Perhaps this explains it.
  • Options
    I'd just make the breast of it and hope for the best. Another 24 hours and you should be pebbledash free
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could you possibly sue them?
  • Options
    I couldn't really see the pic properly on my phone this morning but wow. Yuck. The thought of it, I couldn't open this thread at lunch when I was eating my hummus and falafel wrap.

Bit concerned now, how long was the debriefing? Any update Fiona?
  • Options
    Have made it home with no ill affects. Yet. Most surprisingly. Not sure I am out of the woods yet as it can take up to 3 days. The first thing I checked when I got to the briefing was where the toilets were! When you show police officers a picture and it turns their hardened stomachs, you know it is bad! Thanks for everyone's concern!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I couldn't really see the pic properly on my phone this morning but wow. Yuck. The thought of it, I couldn't open this thread at lunch when I was eating my hummus and falafel wrap.

Bit concerned now, how long was the debriefing? Any update Fiona?

That's very middle class, B.

Although KFC was shut I suppose, so that must have put you in a bit of a pickle...
  • Options

Have made it home with no ill affects. Yet. Most surprisingly. Not sure I am out of the woods yet as it can take up to 3 days. The first thing I checked when I got to the briefing was where the toilets were! When you show police officers a picture and it turns their hardened stomachs, you know it is bad! Thanks for everyone's concern!

Hope you get substantial financial recompense for this ...

... maybe enough to put in a bid for the club :wink:
  • Options

Totally agree.

When buying eggs I do try to buy free range & try to do the same when buying a whole chicken. However, I can't say that either taste any different to caged or battery ones. I'm a meat eater & proud of it. Couldn't go veggie or vegan & eat meat virtually every day.
  • Options

A bit heavy to get the Police involved wasn't it?
  • Options
    I was told that red wine with a meal can kill off some bugs. Not sure if true.
  • Options

I was told that red wine with a meal can kill off some bugs. Not sure if true.

Killed me a few times :-)